Author Topic: The Investment Thread!  (Read 34169 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Investment Thread!
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2021, 08:04:47 PM »
Reddit hurts my eyes.... is there talk of other/new stocks they are targeting (assuming this gets back on track?)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2021, 10:43:37 PM »
https://mobile.reuters.com/

See this article for other stock names that are targets. The cat’s out of the bag.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2021, 06:10:51 AM »
So I use Robinhood and I'm now searching for another way to manage my small amount of stocks. Any recommendations?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2021, 06:51:31 AM »
So I use Robinhood and I'm now searching for another way to manage my small amount of stocks. Any recommendations?

There's Webull and M1Finance. Don't know if Schwab got into the fractional shares thing. For day trading, not sure if M1Finance works. For the long run, it does.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2021, 06:55:34 AM »

I have no qualms with Fidelity. I manage one of my 401K accounts through them, as well as my day trades.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2021, 07:01:38 AM »
I'm a fan of TD Ameritrade, their web application is great (the one at trade.thinkorswim.com, not their main page)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2021, 07:37:47 AM »
Reddit hurts my eyes.... is there talk of other/new stocks they are targeting (assuming this gets back on track?)

Elon Musk seems to be pushing dogecoin, no idea why.  It's a digital currency so it's not the same as these short squeezes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2021, 07:40:34 AM »

Elon Musk seems to be pushing dogecoin, no idea why.  It's a digital currency so it's not the same as these short squeezes.

He probably has a lot of shares in it, and is trying to get people to bring it up.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2021, 07:47:35 AM »
I'm throwing $500 at DOGE. I don't care at this point after seeing some of the stuff that's happened the last few days. I can't get it anywhere though. I wanted to go through Robinhood, but they halted crypto as I was placing my order. I'm trying to get some through Voyager, but I think their systems are overloaded right now. I'm getting a weird authentication error.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2021, 07:53:50 AM »
I'm throwing $500 at DOGE. I don't care at this point after seeing some of the stuff that's happened the last few days. I can't get it anywhere though. I wanted to go through Robinhood, but they halted crypto as I was placing my order. I'm trying to get some through Voyager, but I think their systems are overloaded right now. I'm getting a weird authentication error.

Weird, I was able to buy some Doge 10 right after I made that post  :lol Only $40 though because I had some cash sitting in my robinhood account not used.  Just something to play around with, because I don't trust this coin at all.  Maybe it has to do with how much you are buying?  LIke I think robinhood is really cutting down on what you can do right now. 

I may move to etrade or fidelity.  Sucks because I like the robinhood app, but I don't want to support their shady business.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2021, 07:54:56 AM »

Weird, I was able to buy some Doge 10 right after I made that post  :lol Only $40 though because I had some cash sitting in my robinhood account not used.  Just something to play around with, because I don't trust this coin at all.  Maybe it has to do with how much you are buying?  LIke I think robinhood is really cutting down on what you can do right now. 

I may move to etrade or fidelity.  Sucks because I like the robinhood app, but I don't want to support their shady business.

Fidelity doesn't trade Crypto.

I just got this email from Voyager:

"Dear Brian,

We apologize for the inconvenience, our app is experiencing intermittent outages due to unprecedented growth. All funds are safe. We’ve been seeing 100 new accounts a minute, and are increasing our capacity. We are working as fast as we can to respond to all support inquiries. We appreciate everyone’s patience and loyalty to Voyager."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #221 on: January 29, 2021, 08:06:38 AM »
Just got a message from Robinhood saying that any cash from recent deposits or sales of current stock require 72 hours before being allowed to be used to buy crypto. That feels pretty bullshitty. The money is in my Robinhood account, not in my bank account, I should be free to do with it as I please on the site.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #222 on: January 29, 2021, 09:21:25 AM »
Facebook is now shutting down groups with 100K+ members that revolve around this kind of trading.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: January 29, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »
Doesn't take long for Zuck to comply :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #224 on: January 29, 2021, 09:26:19 AM »
Has anyone tried MooMoo? Looks similar to Robinhood. I wouldn't want to do TDAmeritrade since they did some of the same stuff Robinhood did I thought? I haven't checked out WebBull yet. Fidelity I think is a bit more structured than I'm looking for and M1 looked like it was more about lending?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2021, 11:07:11 AM »
So with TD I haven't had any issues executing orders, there wasn't a stoppage as far as I'm aware. However there was a brief 10 minute outage a few days ago.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2021, 12:50:30 PM »

I got $50 at  uphold

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2021, 04:00:00 PM »
GME still holding at around $300.

It’s become a game of chicken. Who will blink first? The hedge funds or an unruly gang of chat room retail traders. It’s not even about investing anymore, evolving into some sort of twisted social movement/statement/morality play.  In some ways, this reminds me of the attacks on the capitol from just a few weeks ago. Insanity has taken hold.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2021, 08:35:38 PM »
I was going to sign up at Robinhood to explore crypto trading, but now having second thoughts. I use Schwab for all my other stuff, who doesn't trade crypto.

I got $50 at  uphold

Dang... Doge, Uphold... I got some research to do!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2021, 09:35:25 PM »
There are cryptos available to buy/sell right in the Paypal app. Bitcoin and Etherium, but I don’t see Doge.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2021, 02:02:23 PM »
Holy sh*t!

GameStop short-seller Melvin Capital lost 53% this month after the Reddit-fueled frenzy sent shares soaring

https://www.businessinsider.com/melvin-capital-lost-53-percent-january-after-gamestop-shares-skyrocketed-2021-1

And the GMW saga it's no over yet!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2021, 08:53:18 AM »
Well, that was fun. Back to reality?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2021, 08:59:38 AM »
I don't think it's over yet. GME is going to run again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2021, 11:41:12 AM »
Well, that was fun. Back to reality?

I wouldnt be surprised if the reddit gang just finds more stocks to do similar too.  While GME might be back down (although still significantly higher than it's actual worth) there's got to be more stocks that can be squeezed I'd imagine.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2021, 01:09:07 PM »
I don't think it's over yet. GME is going to run again.

Me neither, and as I have read, the apes on WSB are not selling, they are buying the dips.

Offline H2

« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2021, 08:40:43 AM »
Not sure where else to put this story, but here goes...

Since early December, the elevator in my nine-story building broke down. Maintenance has done nothing to fix the situation. Sometime in January, the property manager (let's call him Clay, because that's his real name) offered us a compensation contract: $45 per diem since the day the elevator broke until the day it is fixed on the condition that we don't sue them. That is actually enough to cover for our entire rent, so my apt mate and I agreed. However, just yesterday, after nearly two months since the we signed the original contract, our compensation credits were supposed to be applied to our online account, but instead we get an email from the "senior property manager" (let's call her Jo, because that's her real name), saying that Clay sent out an invalid contract for reasons X, Y, Z, and instead we are going to be sent a new compensation contract for $1.50 per diem instead of $45.

Every tenant in the building is utterly pissed. We are talking about collectively withholding our rent payments and keeping our own ledger of what they owe us. We are talking about throwing graffiti up all over the building, flying "Brothel" banners out of every window, pulling the fire alarm every day, etc.., until we get what we want. We're talking about getting the local news station down here. It's nice to be a part of something, but obviously I wish they'd just give us what we want.

Anyway, this is going to end up costing me $2000+ dollars. Or not; I can't decide whether I'm going to cave and give them rent, as I don't want to get evicted. But **** them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2021, 09:13:38 AM »
Definitely wrong thread

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2021, 05:53:50 PM »
$GME seems to be at it again!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2021, 06:05:54 PM »
Yea I didn't get in this time but my brother and his friends got a great entry, I'm interested to see what they clear over the next few days.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2021, 06:40:50 PM »
I rolled the dice on my company stock last March, Marathon Petroleum.  Usually the stock fluctuates between $40-$70 a share.  In March it plummeted to as low as $16.  I bought about $80K worth at $19 a share.  Today it closed at $56.65.  In less than a year I'm up $210K and climbing.  It's still moving upwards and I'm watching it very closely!  I feel confident in saying it is the only positive for me to come out of this pandemic.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2021, 05:47:33 AM »
I rolled the dice on my company stock last March, Marathon Petroleum.  Usually the stock fluctuates between $40-$70 a share.  In March it plummeted to as low as $16.  I bought about $80K worth at $19 a share.  Today it closed at $56.65.  In less than a year I'm up $210K and climbing.  It's still moving upwards and I'm watching it very closely!  I feel confident in saying it is the only positive for me to come out of this pandemic.

NICE!!!!  Idiot me did the opposite, and bailed on some of my shares in March when I was convinced the markets were gonna go even further than they did.  I didn't sell at the lowest, but pretty close to it.   :facepalm:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2021, 05:53:26 AM »

NICE!!!!  Idiot me did the opposite, and bailed on some of my shares in March when I was convinced the markets were gonna go even further than they did.  I didn't sell at the lowest, but pretty close to it.   :facepalm:
I'm sure you weren't alone in making a move like that.  Hell, back in 2000 my dad who is very savvy did the same thing.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2021, 07:49:37 AM »

Hell yea  :metal

WSB is targeting $800p/s

https://old.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/ls0wmd/if_gamestop_hits_800_before_226_we_will_trigger/

I'm still very skeptical of touching anything GME. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #244 on: March 10, 2021, 09:38:28 AM »
GME just cleared $300/share this morning. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.