Author Topic: The Investment Thread!  (Read 34601 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Investment Thread!
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2021, 10:15:14 AM »
Manipulating might not be the right word, but it doesn't seem the intention is normal here.  I really don't know.  I watched a youtube video this morning and it seems more aligned with:

they all said "Fuck You Hedgefund Billionares" and began to buy.

than a legit investment strategy.  But like I said, I don't understand this and it certainly seems like some people are significantly profit (reddit people) while others significantly lose (hedge fund billionaires)

Chammat's on CNBC now: https://www.livenewsnow.com/american/cnbc-america.html

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2021, 10:18:20 AM »
Manipulating might not be the right word, but it doesn't seem the intention is normal here.  I really don't know.  I watched a youtube video this morning and it seems more aligned with:

than a legit investment strategy.  But like I said, I don't understand this and it certainly seems like some people are significantly profit (reddit people) while others significantly lose (hedge fund billionaires)

Thanks for sharing, listening now.  No idea who Chamath is, but he was referenced in the youtube video I watched.  Also, the pic they are using of him... he looks high as a kite  :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2021, 10:28:04 AM »

Thanks for sharing, listening now.  No idea who Chamath is, but he was referenced in the youtube video I watched.  Also, the pic they are using of him... he looks high as a kite  :lol

CEO @SocialCapital

Chairman @VirginGalactic

Owner @Warriors

Bestie @theallinpod

All those @ are Twitter accounts of his companies

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2021, 10:32:11 AM »

I see it as all those people, grouping together, and using that platform to play the game.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2021, 10:33:47 AM »

:corn :corn :corn :corn
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2021, 10:38:56 AM »
FYI, I know some of how the Stock Market works. We had to do a Stock Market Game, for 8th grade as a requirement for some stupid program called ROPES.  :lol

I really wished this would have happened back then, I wonder how my teacher would've tried explaining this to us. I don't think she would be able to.  :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2021, 10:53:30 AM »

I think I recognized that name.  I think I saw him in a World Series of Poker episode back in 2011.  My impression was that he was one of those rich guys in the Bay Area in California that plays with Phil Hellmuth in private games.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2021, 10:57:06 AM »
This GME nonsense is exactly why I keep everything in low cost index funds :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2021, 01:07:30 PM »
Yeah, manipulating may be too strong a word, but it's the same basic idea.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2021, 01:29:50 PM »
It's crazy ridiculous what's happening now with GME and some other names. This phenomenon will definitely come under some scrutiny by the SEC etc. By the way I bought GME at $19. Took some off the table, but still holding about half my position.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2021, 01:59:29 PM »
It's crazy ridiculous what's happening now with GME and some other names. This phenomenon will definitely come under some scrutiny by the SEC etc. By the way I bought GME at $19. Took some off the table, but still holding about half my position.

Lucky you.  It'll be interesting what the SEC can do here.  But all these sites not allowing you to trade seems like an SEC rules violation as well.  This is wild. I'm almost tempted to buy now based on reading the subreddit, but I don't know.  Maybe I'll get in on the next ones... EXPR, AMC, BBBY have been talked about.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2021, 03:00:37 PM »
As someone who has no investment in the stock market, I find these shenanigans hilarious. Plus its always interesting to see something happen which causes wall street of all people to cry for regulation. 
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline T-ski

« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2021, 03:06:29 PM »
A buddy of mine said he made a quick $75 today thanks to reddit.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2021, 03:18:48 PM »
So this thing's well above my pay grade, but I'm curious about something. Does Gamestop itself actually have any cards to play in this? Is there someway this can be leveraged? Are they just passive observers? What would happen if they decided today would be a good day to file for bankruptcy?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2021, 03:38:55 PM »
At this point, Gamestop as a company could take advantage of the high price valuation by issuing more stock in a public offering, but that in itself would likely drive the price of the stock down because it would dilute the number of shares outstanding.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2021, 05:13:50 PM »

Lucky you.  It'll be interesting what the SEC can do here.  But all these sites not allowing you to trade seems like an SEC rules violation as well.  This is wild. I'm almost tempted to buy now based on reading the subreddit, but I don't know.  Maybe I'll get in on the next ones... EXPR, AMC, BBBY have been talked about.

I got in on the GME train pretty early luckily. WSB is really quite a phenomenon (that's currently set to private). I was able to clear out a bunch of money using their tips from last year when I first discovered it.

Some other good tickers out right now are PLTR (they had a live demo yesterday that was good), NOK (bought some leaps here that are already up 40%), BBBY, and AMC. Tesla was the biggest pump of last year for WSB but u/deepfuckingvalue started posting about GME back in july which slowly snowballed into what we have here.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2021, 05:14:43 PM »
A buddy of mine said he made a quick $75 today thanks to reddit.

My buddy got into it yesterday and bought the furthest possible OTM call on GME for 1/29 and was able to flip 213 into about 1900 in a mattter of hours. It's truly insane.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2021, 08:35:12 PM »
Today is literally the first day I have ever intentionally looked at something on Reddit.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2021, 12:10:43 AM »

Yep. I actually joined the Wall Street Bets Reddit several months ago, where I got the down-low on GME. Granted there is a LOT of juvenile crap to wade through on that site before getting to the real nitty gritty. And you still have to do your own DD (due diligence) and verify news, info and research from other legit sources.

The funny thing is that up until last year, I worked for a Wall Street bank (laid off after 33 years there), specifically in a division that bankrolls hedge funds and helps them locate borrows on their shorts positions. So now I get to work the other side of the spectrum. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2021, 04:15:47 AM »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2021, 05:59:39 AM »

Yep. I actually joined the Wall Street Bets Reddit several months ago, where I got the down-low on GME. Granted there is a LOT of juvenile crap to wade through on that site before getting to the real nitty gritty. And you still have to do your own DD (due diligence) and verify news, info and research from other legit sources.

The funny thing is that up until last year, I worked for a Wall Street bank (laid off after 33 years there), specifically in a division that bankrolls hedge funds and helps them locate borrows on their shorts positions. So now I get to work the other side of the spectrum. 

Oh nice! I currently work at an investment bank so it's always been tough getting into some of the WSB trades because of the many hoops I have to jump before I can buy and options/stocks. Have you gotten in on any of the other stocks WSB has been pumping? PLTR is doing pretty well post demo although I'm not sure how earnings will play out, NOK has been alright too.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2021, 06:38:42 AM »
Mark Cuban has chimed in as well on the GME debate

https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2021, 07:03:31 AM »

Oh nice! I currently work at an investment bank so it's always been tough getting into some of the WSB trades because of the many hoops I have to jump before I can buy and options/stocks. Have you gotten in on any of the other stocks WSB has been pumping? PLTR is doing pretty well post demo although I'm not sure how earnings will play out, NOK has been alright too.

Yes, while i was working at the bank there were a ton of trading restrictions that handcuffed me. As soon as i left, i felt free to invest as i pleased.

As far as the names that got a lot of mention at the wsb subreddit, besides GME, i also got BB and PLTR.

The thing that troubles me about NOK is that the company announced that they have no idea why their stock price has jumped. There’s simply no news to justify the movement.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline T-ski

« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2021, 07:52:25 AM »
Looks like the Robinhood app has locked out the little guy, which seems like corporate suicide.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2021, 07:54:43 AM »
Yup my thoughts as well, especially with their IPO coming up shortly.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2021, 09:25:05 AM »
Yea Robinhood is looking really shady right now, this is quite fascinating

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2021, 09:41:57 AM »
If it isn't illegal, it should be.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2021, 09:50:34 AM »
If it isn't illegal, it should be.

I love how my big banker friend is defending the brokers from removing these stocks, "saving you from hurting yourself" yeah OK isn't this a free market?  There's big money involved here and they are making decisions to protect themselves. It's fairly clear to me and I'm not expert here.  I think this is very shady and maybe illegal but I'm not knowledgable to make that call.  It just seems wrong though.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2021, 11:33:23 AM »
Soooo, apparently robinhood is now selling of GME shares without users' permission?

https://twitter.com/ArkhonDH/status/1354834763245359111

I'm no expert, but that seems....off?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2021, 11:45:05 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen bipartisan support like this for anything :lol https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1354833603943931905

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2021, 01:59:49 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen bipartisan support like this for anything :lol https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1354833603943931905

This is truly amazing to see

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2021, 02:06:54 PM »

This is truly amazing to see

Welp...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2021, 02:10:11 PM »
That lasted long.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2021, 06:49:30 PM »