Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128613 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN
« Reply #1470 on: February 02, 2023, 12:16:44 PM »
You guys all know a lot more about this stuff than I do, but in the comics, the FF4 was sort of the flagship.  First, I noted a very different tone to the movies from the comics, and then between the movies they seemed to shift tone as well. It felt... not disrespectful, really, but sort of slap dash in a way that I don't think the original property really deserved.

Yes and no.

Yea, the FF were the beginning of Marvel as we know it, even if they later incorporated older characters like Cap and Namor etc.

I didn’t hate the first movie though I haven’t seen it in a very long time. It’s hard to say it differed in tone because FF has been around for over 60 years and have had so many different tones at different times. Still largely awful movies though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1471 on: February 02, 2023, 12:44:22 PM »
But there's been three Fantastic 4 movies, all three of them were...not great. I hope the MCU does a better job in the upcoming film, but given the track record for F4, not so sure

Not made by Marvel though.  I'm talking the whole MCU timeline.

Not made by Marvel Studios. Marvel Comics still had some hand in the creation of all non-MCU Marvel films.

-Marc.
I wouldn't word it that way.  No one involved in the actual creation of comics ever had any say.

I think the corporate body that had any say was Marvel Entertainment.  But they basically rubber-stamped everything.  I'm not sure how much say they really had at all beyond very broad strokes (Character X cannot do these things, etc) once the film rights were sold.

Fair, but Kevin Feige was an associate/executive producer on a LOT of pre-MCU films.
X-Men   Associate producer
Spider-Man   Associate producer
Daredevil   Co-producer
X2   Co-producer
Hulk   Executive producer
The Punisher   Executive producer
Spider-Man 2   Executive producer
Man-Thing   Executive producer
Elektra   Co-producer
Fantastic Four   Executive producer
X-Men: The Last Stand   Executive producer
Spider-Man 3   Executive producer
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer   Executive producer
Punisher: War Zone   Executive producer
The Amazing Spider-Man   Executive producer

I'd say it was a bit more than just "rubber stamping" films and giving studios the OK. Marvel had SOME influence and say in how the films went, for better or for worse.

-Marc.
Well, there are producers and then there are PRODUCERS.  Back then, he was not yet Feige the Great and Powerful.  He was a guy that worked on the films.  He wasn't a studio exec, and wasn't a writer, and wasn't a director.  The only creative influence I know of that he had on really any of those (and I have heard him talk about this) was that on some of them, he was able to make suggestions to the director on various small things.  That's about it.

Unless, obviously, there is something I don't know about lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1472 on: February 02, 2023, 12:47:33 PM »
You guys all know a lot more about this stuff than I do, but in the comics, the FF4 was sort of the flagship.  First, I noted a very different tone to the movies from the comics, and then between the movies they seemed to shift tone as well. It felt... not disrespectful, really, but sort of slap dash in a way that I don't think the original property really deserved.

Well in regards to how Marvel handled the X-Men and FF comics between 2000s and 2010s, it came down to Fox using them and Marvel not wanting to promote those properties because their film studio couldn't use them. Is it petty? Sure. Were they right to do so? Ehhhh... I know it probably upset a LOT of fans that Marvel Comics spotlighted the Inhumans to promote Agents of SHIELD and their eventually-awful Inhumans TV show. Same goes for canceling their FF comics only to bring them back around the time that Disney was buying Fox.

Hopefully now that Disney/Marvel have all of their characters (sans Spider-Man) back under their ownership, we can get a Fantastic Four story done right, within the context of the MCU.

And not to further derail the DC thread with more Marvel talk, let's just hope that the obvious Elseworlds branding is enough to keep the general movie-going public aware that films like The Batman and Joker are separate from the new DCU. I think because they're pre-existing franchises with little ties to the Snyder-verse, it's a bit more obvious to most general audiences, especially given how different the style and tone of those films are compared to things like Justice League, Birds Of Prey, The Suicide Squad, and Shazam.

Also, does it weird anyone else out that DC is still planning to have FOUR FILMS out this year when Marvel only has three? Would've been four but they delayed Blade due to a change in directors, and I guess that Fall film slot wasn't going to get filled in time.

But there's been three Fantastic 4 movies, all three of them were...not great. I hope the MCU does a better job in the upcoming film, but given the track record for F4, not so sure

Not made by Marvel though.  I'm talking the whole MCU timeline.

Not made by Marvel Studios. Marvel Comics still had some hand in the creation of all non-MCU Marvel films.

-Marc.
I wouldn't word it that way.  No one involved in the actual creation of comics ever had any say.

I think the corporate body that had any say was Marvel Entertainment.  But they basically rubber-stamped everything.  I'm not sure how much say they really had at all beyond very broad strokes (Character X cannot do these things, etc) once the film rights were sold.

Fair, but Kevin Feige was an associate/executive producer on a LOT of pre-MCU films.
X-Men   Associate producer
Spider-Man   Associate producer
Daredevil   Co-producer
X2   Co-producer
Hulk   Executive producer
The Punisher   Executive producer
Spider-Man 2   Executive producer
Man-Thing   Executive producer
Elektra   Co-producer
Fantastic Four   Executive producer
X-Men: The Last Stand   Executive producer
Spider-Man 3   Executive producer
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer   Executive producer
Punisher: War Zone   Executive producer
The Amazing Spider-Man   Executive producer

I'd say it was a bit more than just "rubber stamping" films and giving studios the OK. Marvel had SOME influence and say in how the films went, for better or for worse.

-Marc.
Well, there are producers and then there are PRODUCERS.  Back then, he was not yet Feige the Great and Powerful.  He was a guy that worked on the films.  He wasn't a studio exec, and wasn't a writer, and wasn't a director.  The only creative influence I know of that he had on really any of those (and I have heard him talk about this) was that on some of them, he was able to make suggestions to the director on various small things.  That's about it.

Unless, obviously, there is something I don't know about lol

You might be right, but I'm not entirely sure myself either. I'm sure there are websites that document his involvement in those pre-/non-MCU films, but I've not searched out for them. It would make for a fascinating video essay on YouTube though (perhaps someone has already done it?).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1473 on: February 02, 2023, 12:49:29 PM »
You're probably right.  That's probably enough Marvel talk in the DCU thread lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1474 on: February 02, 2023, 01:09:08 PM »
I do wonder if James Gunn is vying for a position like that of Fiege. With him running the gamut of the DC universe he might be able to pull it off, his Suicide Squad movie and Peacemaker show are absolute gems. If he's able to harness that kind of vibe and quality with the next slate of movies in the DCEU I'm all for it. I like how Joker and The Batman are siloed away from the rest and don't mind that elseworld label.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1475 on: February 02, 2023, 01:27:12 PM »
I do wonder if James Gunn is vying for a position like that of Fiege.
He isn't vying for it.  He has it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1476 on: February 02, 2023, 01:52:16 PM »
Is he producing movies too? I thought he was just sort of the showrunner type of head figure and overseeing some of the expanded universe.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1477 on: February 02, 2023, 01:55:55 PM »
Is he producing movies too? I thought he was just sort of the showrunner type of head figure and overseeing some of the expanded universe.

Gunn is sharing the duty of producer with Peter Safran from what I read.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1478 on: February 02, 2023, 02:09:57 PM »
Gunn is also writing some stuff, at the very least, Superman Legacy, and, I believe, the Amanda Waller show that is a pseudo-sequel to Peacemaker.

Gunn is definitely being more hands-on than most folks might think, writing, producing, and probably directing a lot of stuff in the coming years at DC Studios. He's definitely the Feige of DC.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: February 02, 2023, 02:26:28 PM »

Gunn is sharing the duty of producer with Peter Safran from what I read.

Correct.  Gunn and Safran are co-chairs and co-CEOs of DC Studios, reporting directly to the WBD CEO.  They're in charge of DC film, tv, and animation division.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1480 on: February 02, 2023, 02:55:18 PM »
Gunn is also writing some stuff, at the very least, Superman Legacy, and, I believe, the Amanda Waller show that is a pseudo-sequel to Peacemaker.

Gunn is definitely being more hands-on than most folks might think, writing, producing, and probably directing a lot of stuff in the coming years at DC Studios. He's definitely the Feige of DC.

-Marc.

So far Gunn is confirmed to have written Superman: Legacy and Creature Commandos. Waller is being headed up by the Doom patrol guy and the person who wrote the last Watchman series. I'm sure he provided outlines to other writers about what direction he wants things to go in though.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1481 on: February 02, 2023, 02:59:08 PM »

-Marc.

So far Gunn is confirmed to have written Superman: Legacy and Creature Commandos. Waller is being headed up by the Doom patrol guy and the person who wrote the last Watchman series. I'm sure he provided outlines to other writers about what direction he wants things to go in though.

Ahhh okay, gotcha. I guess the Doom Patrol folks have more free time now that their series is ending anyway. I just assumed Gunn was involved, somewhat, considering it's still Viola Davis and is following up on Peacemaker Season 1.

To borrow from another Warner franchise, it very much feels like Gunn is The Architect of the DCU now, going forward, and honestly, I'm kind of hopeful given his track record with adapting comics so far for Marvel. He made me care for a Christmas Special! :lol

-Marc.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1482 on: February 02, 2023, 03:20:56 PM »

-Marc.

Ahhh okay, gotcha. I guess the Doom Patrol folks have more free time now that their series is ending anyway. I just assumed Gunn was involved, somewhat, considering it's still Viola Davis and is following up on Peacemaker Season 1.

To borrow from another Warner franchise, it very much feels like Gunn is The Architect of the DCU now, going forward, and honestly, I'm kind of hopeful given his track record with adapting comics so far for Marvel. He made me care for a Christmas Special! :lol

-Marc.

I've been a fan of James Gunn for most of my life and didn't even realize it. Loved the Scooby doo movies as a kid (though as an adult I wish we got the R cut of the first one), then Slither and Super. Then when I got into Troma there's Tromeo and Juliet. Oh and of course he wrote the Dawn of the Dead remake directed by Zack Snyder oddly enough. So I will always be up for anything with his name attached.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1483 on: February 03, 2023, 07:53:29 AM »
Dwayne Johnson was right when he said that there was a new hierarchy of power in the DC Universe.  He was just wrong about what it was.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1484 on: February 03, 2023, 10:04:12 PM »
Outside of Batman, I've always been a Marvel guy. I like James Gunn, but nothing in the announcement excited me. I think they have an epic challenge to compete and be relevant like the MCU.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1485 on: February 03, 2023, 11:15:46 PM »
One cool thing about Gunn specifically mentioning what comics he's basing some of the movies on is that people are rushing out to buy them. The Authority for example is currently sold out almost everywhere and DC is scrambling to print more copies. Which is kinda cool to see.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1486 on: February 06, 2023, 08:51:17 AM »
One cool thing about Gunn specifically mentioning what comics he's basing some of the movies on is that people are rushing out to buy them. The Authority for example is currently sold out almost everywhere and DC is scrambling to print more copies. Which is kinda cool to see.
I agree.  Nice to see the film side directly helping out the comics side, since that's where all of the stories originate.

Online Adami

« Reply #1487 on: February 13, 2023, 02:42:03 PM »
Anyone see the new (or I guess first official?) Flash trailer?

I.....didn't like it? Lots of big surprises, and I like a few moments, which I assume are not the moments other people may like, but the rest looked either awkward, too busy, or just a straight up video game. The fight scenes just felt SO much like a video game that it took me out of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1488 on: February 13, 2023, 02:52:57 PM »
It didn't blow my mind either, but it has Keaton as batman again so I'm definitely gonna see it. Otherwise I probably would have passed on it.

Online Adami

« Reply #1489 on: February 13, 2023, 03:01:19 PM »
It didn't blow my mind either, but it has Keaton as batman again so I'm definitely gonna see it. Otherwise I probably would have passed on it.

Yea. But they even managed to make the “I'm Batman” line seem blah.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: February 13, 2023, 03:14:32 PM »
Got to remember,  this was filmed a while ago so that video game feel is from the old direction. I liked the trailer. So, hopefully it's a nice way to reboot the storyline. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1491 on: February 14, 2023, 06:55:18 AM »
It seemed really convoluted and busy, which wasn't great for me. 

However, it brought back Danny Elfman's original Batman theme, so WIN.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1492 on: March 17, 2023, 07:26:20 PM »
Just saw Shazam...there was a guy few seats next to me with a guitar  :censored a freaking guitar at a movie theater lol

Anyways, movie was alright.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 10:36:53 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1493 on: March 18, 2023, 11:19:49 AM »
Just saw Shazam...there was a few seats next to me with a guitar  :censored a freaking guitar at a movie theater lol

Anyways, movie was alright.

I bet seeing a guitar in the theater was just as exciting as the film, eh?  :lol

I caught the first showing at my local theater on Thursday afternoon and it was... enjoyable. Not amazing, and I don't think, after some mulling it over, it reaches the highs of the first SHAZAM! film. There are sparks of greatness in there, but lightning didn't strike twice for the franchise. Billy himself was largely absent, and it felt more like Freddy's film than Billy's, despite a really good Billy-story buried under many other half-baked plots.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Definitely middle-of-the-road DCEU. It still astounds me that within a year, we got both a Black Adam AND a SHAZAM! movie and they didn't crossover ONCE. If you had told me that 10 years ago when the DCEU was beginning, I would've laughed in your face so hard it would've devolved into tears.

-Marc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1494 on: March 20, 2023, 06:13:42 AM »
Anyone see the recent interview with Ben Affleck where he talked about his time with the DC universe and what the future may hold?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1495 on: March 20, 2023, 06:34:25 AM »
Anyone see the recent interview with Ben Affleck where he talked about his time with the DC universe and what the future may hold?
Didn't see the interview, but is it that he is not interested in directing a DC film? or something else?

There are sparks of greatness in there, but lightning didn't strike twice for the franchise. Billy himself was largely absent, and it felt more like Freddy's film than Billy's, despite a really good Billy-story buried under many other half-baked plots.

This is how I felt about the movie. It was not a good movie, but enjoyable for what it's supposed to be.

And the fake death ending has to be one of the worst writing I have seen in years.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1496 on: March 20, 2023, 06:40:58 AM »
Didn't see the interview, but is it that he is not interested in directing a DC film? or something else?

There are sparks of greatness in there, but lightning didn't strike twice for the franchise. Billy himself was largely absent, and it felt more like Freddy's film than Billy's, despite a really good Billy-story buried under many other half-baked plots.

This is how I felt about the movie. It was not a good movie, but enjoyable for what it's supposed to be.

And the fake death ending has to be one of the worst writing I have seen in years.

Sorry; I should have put the link.  Talks about Justice League and the James Gunn-led DC Universe.  I'm not trying to be difficult, here, but Affleck is clearly trying to be diplomatic, and I don't want to take one sentence out of context.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1497 on: March 20, 2023, 07:35:28 AM »
Yeah, you can definitely "read between the lines" with his comments. We don't know what happened in the studio, but if he wasn't happy or satisfied, I don't blame him in the slightest.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1498 on: June 15, 2023, 01:40:14 PM »
Anyone seeing The Flash today/this weekend? I'm catching a 6pm showing this evening after work. I can't say I'm *too* excited for it, mostly I'm just curious as to what will happen and how, if in any way, this will help shape the future of Gunn's DCU. I've somehow managed to avoid most spoilers (outside of trailer breakdowns), so at least I'm not spoiled on any major plot details, though I've read the director spoiled a big plot point in interviews (which I thankfully have avoided).

-Marc.

Online Adami

« Reply #1499 on: June 15, 2023, 01:43:00 PM »
Anyone seeing The Flash today/this weekend? I'm catching a 6pm showing this evening after work. I can't say I'm *too* excited for it, mostly I'm just curious as to what will happen and how, if in any way, this will help shape the future of Gunn's DCU. I've somehow managed to avoid most spoilers (outside of trailer breakdowns), so at least I'm not spoiled on any major plot details, though I've read the director spoiled a big plot point in interviews (which I thankfully have avoided).

-Marc.

I'll catch it on streaming.

People have been rushing to post every spoiler possible for a few days now. I strongly dislike that trend.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1500 on: June 15, 2023, 01:51:03 PM »
Seeing it Saturday, late morning. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1501 on: June 15, 2023, 03:07:07 PM »

-Marc.

As one of, if not the biggest Batman nerd and collector here on DTF (not sure how one would rank his or her nerdiness for a character), you bet your ass I have tickets for this evening. 7 p.m. showing. BUUUUUUT, I am going for one reason...and that's to support Batman on the big screen. I have no interest in Flash. I hate multiverse crossover stuff. Yet it is Michael Keaton. And donning the cape and cowl for the first time in 30 years. I fully expect a shitty movie, and if it isn't, awesome. But I'm just there for the Bat.

My HOPE is, they do a live action, standalone film for Batman Beyond, where Keaton plays the retired Bruce Wayne, and they hire an actor to play Terry McGinnis. I think it is absolutely doable, could make loads of money considering how hyped people are for Keaton's return, and if kept OUT of the multiverse, it would be another franchise that would enable DC to do some different things. Bring Inque to life, use Derek Powers/Blight, etc. If Keaton is up for it, and he IS the right age for the role, it would be awesome.

Anyway, my personal hot take is that I think Batman should be separate from all the "non-realistic" (in quotes because yes, this is all fantasy, I get that) takes on superheroes. In my not so humble opinion, Batman should be gritty, dark, more real, and separate from all the invisible jets, laser eyes, aliens, etc., bull crap that is involved in the multiverse. I KNOW many people love that era of Batman. I just don't. For me, Batman '89 was the first real close film to give me that Batman. Then the Nolan trilogy (the best all time). And then it took all the Bat-Fleck garbage to get to Matt Reeves' The Batman franchise, which thankfully, is standalone.

So pumped for tonight, to see Keaton take up the mantle once again. And if the movie ends up being good, so much the better. For me, fingers crossed this brings about a live action Batman Beyond.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1502 on: June 15, 2023, 10:03:21 PM »
It was good. It wasn't great, but it had some great moments and one emotional beat that got to me.

Otherwise, it's not awful and given the last couple of DCEU films, this is only better by comparison (like liking Wakanda Forever after getting through Multiverse Of Madness and Love & Thunder last year).

I think one of the biggest things folks will take away from this film, besides Keaton, is the numerous Easter Eggs spotted in the third act. Once you see it, you'll understand what I mean, but it sucks that that's all anyone may talk about when Across The Spider-Verse just did the same thing but has a strong core plot with an emotional story to back it up. That isn't to say Barry's emotional journey isn't as strong, but being somewhat familiar with the comics it's based on (and having seen the animated Flashpoint film), I already knew going in what to expect from the overall story.

Being better than Black Adam and Shazam: Fury Of The Gods isn't a tall order, but I can at least say that the DCEU is at least going out with an upturn rather than a nosedive.

I am fairly excited for Blue Beetle, even if it feels very familiar, with spots in the trailer reminding me of a ton of superhero movie cliches and tropes, like, destroying busses. It's weird that it's happened twice (in Shang-Chi and Multiverse Of Madness) in the last few years, so it's weirder to see it again. It's like every writer in Hollywood has a grudge against public transportation.

-Marc.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1503 on: June 16, 2023, 08:03:41 AM »
Yeah, it was good. Not the best in the world, but it wasn't bad at all. For all his douchebaggery in real life, Ezra Miller was wonderful in the film. Great acting. I absolutely hate multiverse stuff (see my rant above), but I enjoyed myself. Keaton was great in his role.

The biggest...reaction (being coy to avoid spoilers) was the last scene in the movie. I booed. Hard.  :lol

The after credits scene (very end of the credits) was funny as hell.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1504 on: June 16, 2023, 09:50:08 AM »
Yeah, it was good. Not the best in the world, but it wasn't bad at all. For all his douchebaggery in real life, Ezra Miller was wonderful in the film. Great acting. I absolutely hate multiverse stuff (see my rant above), but I enjoyed myself. Keaton was great in his role.

The biggest...reaction (being coy to avoid spoilers) was the last scene in the movie. I booed. Hard.  :lol

The after credits scene (very end of the credits) was funny as hell.

Yeah, separating the art from the artist in regards to Miller, I think they did a fairly good job with what they were given, although the CGI for the double was a bit dodgy at parts, though mostly good (not as bad as some of the OTHER CGI seen in the film, though the makers say it was done that way on purpose). It was nice seeing Miller play off themselves in a way that matures the Flash we know from previous appearances.

-Marc.