Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128738 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN
« Reply #1435 on: January 31, 2023, 12:22:12 PM »
Only thing I need to hear is that "The Joker" and Matt Reeves' Batman saga remain standalone, and not part of the future DCU. Matt Reeves' Batman movies are what interests me the most. I loved "The Batman", and it's almost on par with Chris Nolan's batman trilogy IMO.

I wish good luck to James Gunn. Previous DCEU was a clusterfuck, and only 2 movies I genuinely liked were the first Wonder Woman and James Gunn's Suicide Squad.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1436 on: January 31, 2023, 12:28:38 PM »
If you follow James Gunn on Twitter, he released a tweet video of him talking about all the new movies, TV shows & video games all tie together in the DC universe.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1437 on: January 31, 2023, 12:33:06 PM »
Only thing I need to hear is that "The Joker" and Matt Reeves' Batman saga remain standalone, and not part of the future DCU. Matt Reeves' Batman movies are what interests me the most. I loved "The Batman", and it's almost on par with Chris Nolan's batman trilogy IMO.

They have announced that movies like The Batman and The Joker, which are outside the regular continuity, will be released under the DC Elseworlds label.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1438 on: January 31, 2023, 01:16:41 PM »
Love that they are using the Elseworlds label for stuff outside of normal continuity.

Not all of these are my favorite choices, and I am not sure I understand Lanterns or the appeal of such a thing at all, but this will benefit from all of the DC output being governed by a unified vision a la the MCU and Kevin Feige.  This is the first I've been excited about upcoming DC products in a long, long time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1439 on: February 01, 2023, 05:34:23 AM »
I hope it works out for Gunn & DC, but I am not very hopeful.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1440 on: February 01, 2023, 08:23:42 AM »
I was a DC kid growing up - Green Lantern is my favorite character, followed by the '70s Batman - but man, have they fucked this up royally.  I can't believe they moved on from Henry Cavill as Superman, and I actually LIKED Affleck's Batman.  That fight scene in Batman v. Superman is still my favorite fight scene EVER.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1441 on: February 01, 2023, 08:25:12 AM »
Wasn't one of them beating the other with a toilet or sink or something?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1442 on: February 01, 2023, 08:26:34 AM »

No; I'm talking the scene where Batman was trying to get to Martha Kent and took on that whole gang.  It wasn't the fight between Supes and Batman, but the other one.  :) :) :)

Online Adami

« Reply #1443 on: February 01, 2023, 08:30:21 AM »

No; I'm talking the scene where Batman was trying to get to Martha Kent and took on that whole gang.  It wasn't the fight between Supes and Batman, but the other one.  :) :) :)

I saw the movie once. I don't remember liking it at all. I have no recollection of anything other than one hitting the other with a toiler or sink and then Doomsday killing Superman and the whole "is she with you?" "No, thought she was with you" said by the guy who just sent for her. Not gonna rewatch it, but I trust that it's a cool scene.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1444 on: February 01, 2023, 08:44:52 AM »

That movie was awful.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: February 01, 2023, 08:57:43 AM »
https://youtu.be/m7GWGLkPepU

I'm here for you.  Though I will say, it's WAY better on a big screen in a dark room than on a friggin' Safari browser in a 6" by 4" window.  I was playing a lot of Batman Arkham at the time and the fight choreography was very reminiscent of that.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1446 on: February 01, 2023, 09:42:31 AM »
I actually enjoyed the 3 hour version of that movie a lot more. That fight scene Stadler is referencing is great.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

« Reply #1447 on: February 01, 2023, 09:44:26 AM »
I was bored to tears with the original Justice League release. Then I remember they released the 67 hour black and white artsy Snyder version. I watched it with candy and comfort food, expecting to hate it.

But man...not bad! It's too long and dark to rewatch much, but definitely the best of the Snyder releases in the DCEU.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1448 on: February 01, 2023, 10:06:58 AM »
I was bored to tears with the original Justice League release. Then I remember they released the 67 hour black and white artsy Snyder version. I watched it with candy and comfort food, expecting to hate it.

But man...not bad! It's too long and dark to rewatch much, but definitely the best of the Snyder releases in the DCEU.
I agree, the really long reissue was much better than the original release.  But I didn't watch it in B&W, I watched the first color release.

Still not great, but not the trainwreck that was the theatrical release.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1449 on: February 01, 2023, 10:30:00 AM »
Lol it wasn't in B&W, but I get the sentiment. It was darkly graded and even daytime looked like night. I really enjoyed the 4 hour version of Justice League, it had a lot of good things in it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

« Reply #1450 on: February 01, 2023, 10:34:39 AM »
Actually, I think it was in color, but in 4:3 ratio.

But there is definitely a B&W version available.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #1451 on: February 01, 2023, 10:37:44 AM »
I had forgotten they did a B&W version too, they didn't release it on bluray I think it was only on HBO. It does have the 4:3 ratio which I thought worked really well for the movie.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1452 on: February 01, 2023, 04:26:57 PM »
I was extremely underwhelmed by the DC announcement. I really hope it all works out but there wasn't much to get excited about. However, I was also very underwhelmed by the announcement of a Peacemaker tv show and that show was absolutely awesome so I have faith in James Gunn.

I am really happy that we will get The Batman 2, as I absolutely loved The Batman and thought Robert Pattinson was great. However the fact that the Pattinson Batman continues outside of the main DC universe which will have its own Batman just doesn't really work for me. I think this kind of approach only confuses things for the casual movie fan.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: February 01, 2023, 05:09:35 PM »
It's not that hard. Movies like The Batman are now known as the Elsewhere Universe. It's not that confusing. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1454 on: February 01, 2023, 07:46:28 PM »
It's not that hard. Movies like The Batman are now known as the Elsewhere Universe. It's not that confusing.

But just confusing enough to not call it "Elseworlds", which is what it is, and is basically DC's version of Marvel's What If...? comics. Basically alternate re-tellings of characters' stories.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1455 on: February 01, 2023, 08:29:07 PM »

I'm not saying it is hard but for the general moviegoer who knows nothing about comic books etc it is confusing and I believe this approach harms the brand.

It is my opinion that this probably isn't the preferred approach Gunn wants to take, but from a studio perspective both Joker and The Batman were huge successes and sequels have already been greenlit. To make it work these films have been branded as 'Elseworlds' which the general movie going public won't understand and won't care about. All they will care about is having to see yet another take on Batman on screen when the new Batman movie in the main DC universe comes out.

I really hope it all works out.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: February 02, 2023, 04:28:01 AM »
They legally can't stop it. That's why they are labeling like they are. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1457 on: February 02, 2023, 07:59:55 AM »
It doesn't have anything to do with "legal".

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: February 02, 2023, 08:09:25 AM »

Well, Warner Brother has contracts with DC and not the DC studios to they must have contracts.  I know like Marvel, other studios had the rights to Spiderman and the Fantastic 4 so Marvel had to work out a deal to be able to make the movies.  I'd assume the same with some of the DC characters.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1459 on: February 02, 2023, 08:15:50 AM »

Well, Warner Brother has contracts with DC and not the DC studios to they must have contracts.  I know like Marvel, other studios had the rights to Spiderman and the Fantastic 4 so Marvel had to work out a deal to be able to make the movies.  I'd assume the same with some of the DC characters.
That's not the case.  Warner brothers doesn't have contracts with DC.  Warner Brothers is the corporate owner of DC comics.  They have always held all film rights to DC characters. 

They are doing it this way just because they want to.  They want Reeves and Pattinson to be able to make their Batman stuff, and Phillips and Phoenix to make their Joker stuff, without being hampered or tied down by each other's products or any overarching "universe".  They are FINALLY using the Elseworlds tag for such endeavors, which they should have already been using.

And this way, they can also have a Batman to interact with other DC characters as they build out this new version of their universe.  It's the best of both worlds, and mirrors, in a way, how the publishing side is already set up.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: February 02, 2023, 08:53:48 AM »
Win win then.  No issues getting characters like Marvel.  I always thought they missed out with the Fantastic 4 with the early phases. They were my favorite Marvel characters as a kid.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: February 02, 2023, 09:06:58 AM »
Win win then.  No issues getting characters like Marvel.  I always thought they missed out with the Fantastic 4 with the early phases. They were my favorite Marvel characters as a kid.

Me too.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1462 on: February 02, 2023, 09:32:55 AM »
But there's been three Fantastic 4 movies, all three of them were...not great. I hope the MCU does a better job in the upcoming film, but given the track record for F4, not so sure
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1463 on: February 02, 2023, 09:39:50 AM »
But there's been three Fantastic 4 movies, all three of them were...not great. I hope the MCU does a better job in the upcoming film, but given the track record for F4, not so sure

4 - never forget the Roger Corman one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpmM-eTESI

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: February 02, 2023, 09:42:45 AM »

Not made by Marvel though.  I'm talking the whole MCU timeline.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1465 on: February 02, 2023, 10:12:39 AM »

Not made by Marvel Studios. Marvel Comics still had some hand in the creation of all non-MCU Marvel films.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1466 on: February 02, 2023, 10:14:40 AM »

Not made by Marvel Studios. Marvel Comics still had some hand in the creation of all non-MCU Marvel films.

-Marc.
I wouldn't word it that way.  No one involved in the actual creation of comics ever had any say.

I think the corporate body that had any say was Marvel Entertainment.  But they basically rubber-stamped everything.  I'm not sure how much say they really had at all beyond very broad strokes (Character X cannot do these things, etc) once the film rights were sold.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1467 on: February 02, 2023, 11:11:52 AM »

-Marc.
I wouldn't word it that way.  No one involved in the actual creation of comics ever had any say.

I think the corporate body that had any say was Marvel Entertainment.  But they basically rubber-stamped everything.  I'm not sure how much say they really had at all beyond very broad strokes (Character X cannot do these things, etc) once the film rights were sold.

Fair, but Kevin Feige was an associate/executive producer on a LOT of pre-MCU films.
X-Men   Associate producer
Spider-Man   Associate producer
Daredevil   Co-producer
X2   Co-producer
Hulk   Executive producer
The Punisher   Executive producer
Spider-Man 2   Executive producer
Man-Thing   Executive producer
Elektra   Co-producer
Fantastic Four   Executive producer
X-Men: The Last Stand   Executive producer
Spider-Man 3   Executive producer
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer   Executive producer
Punisher: War Zone   Executive producer
The Amazing Spider-Man   Executive producer

I'd say it was a bit more than just "rubber stamping" films and giving studios the OK. Marvel had SOME influence and say in how the films went, for better or for worse.

-Marc.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1468 on: February 02, 2023, 11:15:49 AM »
I wanted to see the Fantastic 4 in the MCU.  Intertwined with other superheros.  Not a stand alone movie.  That's all I was trying to get at.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: February 02, 2023, 11:51:12 AM »
You guys all know a lot more about this stuff than I do, but in the comics, the FF4 was sort of the flagship.  First, I noted a very different tone to the movies from the comics, and then between the movies they seemed to shift tone as well. It felt... not disrespectful, really, but sort of slap dash in a way that I don't think the original property really deserved.