Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128620 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN
« Reply #1190 on: May 17, 2019, 03:10:57 PM »
...So, I'm just trusting that Reeves has got the perfect guy to tell his more "detective" version of Batman story. I am looking forward to that approach. That's sort of where I thought a fourth Nolan film should go. Flesh out that side of the character, involve The Riddler, and make him a serial killer to a degree as well.

Yeah, that could have been really cool.  Even though I felt like the third film fell flat and had some missteps, I really loved Nolan's overall arc and his take on the characters.  I think another film or two, or even a second trilogy could have focused on that aspect of the character.  It could have started with Bruce firmly in retirement, but coming to the realization that, without Batman, things were getting out of control.  And then him facing the dilemma of feeling inexorably drawn back to donning the cowl and cape, but not being physically able to do it as the street-fighting "superhero," and so opting, of necessity, to go more the detective route (and it also being of necessity due to the nature of the villain).  Then, supplementing that arc, you maybe bring in Robin and the mentoring relationship borne out of need to have that physical element, but Bruce being physically incapable of bringing that himself, and him eventually then just passing the torch.  With Nolan's sense of character and tone, I would have loved to have seen him build that type of arc in his own Gotham universe.

Other hardcore fans of TDK Trilogy may disagree, but I think the ending of The Dark Knight Rises was a perfect opportunity just for that (bolded part). Although as has played out over time, with exceptions in various story arcs, Bruce Wayne IS Batman. My thought is that when Robin (Blake) finds the note and the cave, at the same time, Bruce and Selina, while on holiday in Europe -- that never works. That relationship never works. It's a dead giveaway to a setup of Bruce coming back. His money is recovered by Alfred (remember, "remainder to Alfred Pennyworth") and Bruce returns after the Selina fling ends. And "Robin" becomes Robin, and Bruce trains him, and they go on. At least for the next several years. Blake's age isn't given, but looking at the character, I think he's supposed to be in his early 20s. Bruce is...38 I believe. So there's ample time for another trilogy of sorts, going on that angle you were talking about.

My thought always was that at some point, you do Riddler, work in Penguin, and at some point bring back The Joker, and make a true live-action arc of The Death in the Family, where Robin is brutalized by the Joker (in the comics, it was Jason Todd being killed), which sets Batman off the deep end. I would have LOVED Nolan to do something with that, in his own way. But oh well.

That's not at all where I think Reeve's story would go, I think he's very much got his own detective-based movie that is totally separate from Nolan's trilogy. But we'll see.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1191 on: May 17, 2019, 06:08:37 PM »
Very curious to see if/how The Batman is worked into the DCEU. Or if they're just going to scrap the whole thing and just make solo movies.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1192 on: May 27, 2019, 04:04:54 AM »
Apparently, Robert Pattinson is playing the new Batman in Matt Reeves new movie. Reeves is reportedly exploring the detective side of Batman which should be a great take on it.

I don't really pay a lot of attention to actors. I had friends send this news to me last night, laughing. I reminded them all I knew of Heath Ledger was kissing some gay cowboy, and how I thought him being The Joker could be a clusterfuck. Obviously, LEdger delivered an iconic performance. So, I'm just trusting that Reeves has got the perfect guy to tell his more "detective" version of Batman story. I am looking forward to that approach. That's sort of where I thought a fourth Nolan film should go. Flesh out that side of the character, involve The Riddler, and make him a serial killer to a degree as well.

Pattison is an accomplished actor, and I'm looking forward to a new Bat-film. I was no fan of Affleck, so really looking forward to this reboot.

Yep!

I'm speaking frankly here for anyone who just knows him from Twilight: Robert Pattinson is arguably the finest actor of his generation. I don't say that lightly, the man has been getting better and better since 2012 and has been on fire for the past two years. We are ridiculously lucky that he appears to be our new Batman. I actually had him as my personal dark horse fan-cast for the past year and didn't think it'd actually happen.

And yes, the example with Heath Ledger is on point. This tends to be a recurring thing with Batman castings; the more unconventional a choice, the bigger initial backlash from fans and then the ultimate payoff in theaters later. It happened with Keaton in the 1980's, it happened with Ledger in 2006 and it happened with Affleck too (though he was brought down by a mediocre film).

I am expecting some very impressive things to come from Matt Reeves and Robert Pattinson with this new era of Batman films.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1193 on: May 27, 2019, 04:37:50 AM »
Very curious to see if/how The Batman is worked into the DCEU. Or if they're just going to scrap the whole thing and just make solo movies.

They should focus on making a great Batman trilogy first.

Regarding Pattinson, he is a great actor regardless of the Twilight baggage he carries with him.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1194 on: May 28, 2019, 11:57:07 AM »
I'm just really pleased at the get-go that the new Batman story is going to focus more on his detective skills. Nothing like that has really been done yet. All we got was Batman '89 having Batman figure out the Joker's formula, and Bale's Batman dabbling a bit in various detective-oriented things with Alfred and Blake/Robin doing his thing. A full on detective-thriller with Batman, with action playing a more supporting thing, is something I'm really excited to see.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1195 on: May 31, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »
So Robert Pattinson is now OFFICIALLY cast as Batman.
I really like the choice.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1196 on: May 31, 2019, 01:22:32 PM »
I've only seen Pattinson in High Life, and while think it's not a good movie, he was really fantastic in it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: May 31, 2019, 01:30:59 PM »
Nolan cast him in Tenet. That will be how I'll judge his ability. I'm going into The Batman with an open mind. It's entirely possible he'll be horrible, or that the film is targeting a younger audience and I'll hate it all. Or, it could be outstanding. But I'm not going to waste a ton of mental imagery bitching about casting just because the guy had a prominent role in some tweeny Vampire series. Again, Ledger was a gay cowboy...and nailed one of the most iconic roles and performances ever.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1198 on: January 10, 2020, 07:24:45 PM »
Just saw the trailer for Birds of Prey. Could Margot Robbie be any hotter.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1199 on: January 14, 2020, 02:28:16 AM »
Nolan cast him in Tenet. That will be how I'll judge his ability. I'm going into The Batman with an open mind. It's entirely possible he'll be horrible, or that the film is targeting a younger audience and I'll hate it all. Or, it could be outstanding. But I'm not going to waste a ton of mental imagery bitching about casting just because the guy had a prominent role in some tweeny Vampire series. Again, Ledger was a gay cowboy...and nailed one of the most iconic roles and performances ever.

I realize I'm ridiculously late in replying here (  :biggrin: ), but if you'd like a better and more immediate idea of just how damn good of an actor Pattinson is, I highly recommend checking out his performance in Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse. Both he and Willem Dafoe should have been nominated for Oscars for their performances in that film IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyag7lR8CPA

Pattinson starts off a bit timid, but by the end, he brings out an intensity in his performance reminiscent of Jack Nicholson in The Shining or Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood. Dude has some insane range and is going to rock as Batman!

Also, can I just say that the cast of this film feels like it's one of the best ever? So far we've got:

- Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman
- Jeffrey Wright as Commissioner Gordon
- Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman
- Paul Dano as the Riddler
- Colin Farrell as the Penguin
- Andy Serkis as Alfred Pennyworth
- John Turturro as Carmine Falcone
- Peter Sarsgaard in an unknown role

I love how out of the box and inspired a lot of these picks are. Reeves has a habit of picking character actors in his films and it's nice to see the trend continue here. Also love that he's working with Rogue One's Greig Fraser for the cinematography and Michael Giacchino for the score. Hopefully we finally get a soundtrack more akin to Danny Elfman's work in the Burton films or Shirley Walker's work on Batman: The Animated Series!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:35:06 AM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1200 on: January 14, 2020, 05:08:05 AM »
Pattinson and Dafoe definitely should have been nominated in their respective categories! Taron Edgerton should have also been nominated for "Rocketman"

Anyway, back to Batman. I think Pattinson is a great choice for Bruce Wayne! He is a great actor whose career still has the "Twilight" stigma. Andy Serkis, Paul Dano, Collin Farrel, love all the casting choices so far. The team bringing this to life has a lot of talent, that's for sure.

So, I'm pretty excited to see this version of Batman. Hoping it has nothing to do with the DCEU and is a self-contained story.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1201 on: January 14, 2020, 12:15:11 PM »
Eh.  I'm not sold yet.  I'm not here to disparage Pattinson as an actor (I didn't see The Lighthouse, but what I have seen by him that wasn't "Twilight" has been okay, but didn't rock my world), but acting is only part of it.  I just found Affleck believable as a guy that could hold his own with Superman, but also catch Gal Gadot's eye, but also play the charming rogue, but also play the convincing businessman... sure I'm sure Pattinson can play any one of those, but can he play ALL of them? 

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1202 on: February 20, 2020, 08:53:05 AM »
Gotta say, I really love this first look we had recently of Pattinson as Batman. Personally I was never a big fan of Batfleck's costume in the DCEU, despite it being very 'comic accurate.' Unlike most other superheroes, I feel like Batman best works in live action when you take some creative liberties and go for something clearly inspired and grounded in the original idea of the suit, but interpret it a bit more realistically. To that end, what we're seeing of this new Batsuit works perfectly and actually kinda feels like a love letter to a bunch of previous different depictions of the character in comics and other media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN6b6JngKNw

Michael Giacchino also confirmed that the music in this video is an early sample of his new theme for Batman for the film's soundtrack, which I dig a lot. Sounds a lot like John Carpenter and Batman: The Animated Series/Mask of the Phantasm's composer, Shirley Walker, blended together. Feels like a breath of fresh air after having Hans Zimmer dominate Batman's soundscape for 15 years or so.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Adami

« Reply #1203 on: February 20, 2020, 08:58:24 AM »
New suit looks cool. Helmet is WAY too similar to Daredevil, but hopefully the rest will make up for it.

Also the (possible) gun as his bat in the middle was a really cool touch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: February 20, 2020, 12:32:51 PM »
EM... Hmmm.   I have to watch that again. I couldn't tell what was what, and at most glances it looks like he has this huge head.

I don't think I'm going to like this much.

Funny comment though:  "I've seen Batman's parents die so many times they're gonna call me in to testify."

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1205 on: February 20, 2020, 07:08:41 PM »
EM... Hmmm.   I have to watch that again. I couldn't tell what was what, and at most glances it looks like he has this huge head.

I don't think I'm going to like this much.

Funny comment though:  "I've seen Batman's parents die so many times they're gonna call me in to testify."

They're using a different material than usual for the cowl, hence why it looks a bit different compared to the old suits (I dig it though, makes the mask look more like a skull IMO). Admittedly that red lighting obscures a lot of what we can see. There's a few edits out there though that brighten up the scene and one that converts the footage to B&W and it's a lot easier to see what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LXdzGpglNM

I'm hoping to see a fuller look of the suit soon. They'll be filming at a very Gothic looking cemetery and cathedral in Glasgow tomorrow, so hopefully we get to see the suit in full and maybe the new Batmobile too.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: February 21, 2020, 08:26:42 AM »
That makes it look a lot better (seriously).  Thank you!

I like the eyes.  Still has the potential to make Pattinson's melon head look like a, well, melon.  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1207 on: February 21, 2020, 11:37:08 AM »
Not a fan.  After Batfleck finally getting the suit to look right on film, this seems like a big step backwards to me.

I'll still watch the film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1208 on: February 21, 2020, 01:26:26 PM »
If this turns out to be a trilogy or something, I don't mind if the bat suit in the first movie looks a bit 'amateurish' (for lack of a better word). As long as you can tell it's Batman - if it's him early in his career crime fighting, I don't mind if he starts out with a cheaper looking costume only to improve it and then moving forward they get better and cooler. Either way this first look doesn't really give us a good look, only a glimpse.

Online Adami

« Reply #1209 on: February 21, 2020, 01:29:58 PM »

Honestly, it totally depends on the take their going for in the movie. If the suit makes sense in the world they're making, then it'll be good. If it doesn't, then it won't. So I'll wait to fully judge til I see a trailer and get an idea for the feel of the movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1210 on: February 21, 2020, 01:45:10 PM »
I look at that suit and think" How can he move in hand to hand combat?

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: May 19, 2020, 05:57:40 PM »
This new grown up cartoon for Harley Quinn on the SYFY network is amazing!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #1212 on: May 19, 2020, 08:25:57 PM »

Need to check that out. Heard great things.

Also Ruby Rose has quit Batwoman after one season. I may be the only person here who watches (and largely enjoys) the CW shows so it’s a huge deal. I can’t think of another time a titual tv character was recast in the past decade or two though I’m sure it’s happened a ton.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: May 19, 2020, 08:40:04 PM »
That's too bad. I like her as an actress. 

Adami, the tone of the Harley Quinn cartoon is right up your alley. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1214 on: May 20, 2020, 01:08:31 AM »

Need to check that out. Heard great things.

Also Ruby Rose has quit Batwoman after one season. I may be the only person here who watches (and largely enjoys) the CW shows so it’s a huge deal. I can’t think of another time a titual tv character was recast in the past decade or two though I’m sure it’s happened a ton.

Didn't the Green Arrow guy get recast after the first season?

Online Adami

« Reply #1215 on: May 20, 2020, 05:49:46 AM »
Nope.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #1216 on: May 20, 2020, 02:09:53 PM »
Looks like the "SynderCut" of Justice League is happening. Honestly don't know if that will make the movie better or worse. I'm reading that it's 4 hours long with plans to maybe release it as a series.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

« Reply #1217 on: May 20, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »
Looks like the "SynderCut" of Justice League is happening. Honestly don't know if that will make the movie better or worse. I'm reading that it's 4 hours long with plans to maybe release it as a series.

Oh thank Cage.

Honestly, it might be a little better, but there's no way I'll think it's a good movie. Justice League was a complete mess. His cut might improve, but unless it's just a 100% different script, it's not going to be a good movie.

But either way it's good because now people can shut up and just move on. I'm glad this will finally be over. Some fans will think it's genius. Some fans will think it's worse. Most people will shrug and be like "alrighty."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1218 on: June 24, 2020, 08:29:54 PM »

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1219 on: June 24, 2020, 09:27:45 PM »
Micheal Keaton may be back as batman

https://www.thewrap.com/batman-returns-michael-keaton-bruce-wayne-the-flash-movie/

Yeah, according to The Hollywood Reporter, seems like the plan is to try and integrate Keaton's Batman into the DCEU as a Nick Fury type role to replace Batfleck as a result of the Flash movie introducing and exploring the concept of multi-verses. Meanwhile the Robert Pattinson Batman trilogy that Matt Reeves is working on will exist in its own separate continuity, like Joker and the Nolan trilogy, but will be the primary focus of Batman on the big screen.

Honestly I dig the idea. From what I can tell based on the set photos and officially released stills of The Batman, it seems like Reeves is aiming for a gritty take on Gotham (feels like "Batman: The Animated Series meets Year One" to me), so Battinson will probably benefit from not currently co-existing in a world populated by a ton of other heroes with various superpowers. And on the other side of the coin, bringing back Keaton as a mentor/Nick Fury type role for the more comic-y parts of the DC world taps into nostalgia and also opens up room to allow Warner Bros to try other parts of Batman Lore that hasn't really been tried in live action yet (i.e. Batman Beyond, Kingdom Come).
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1220 on: June 25, 2020, 05:11:32 AM »
Keaton reprising Batman in a Flash movie sounds very interesting to me assuming it's a parallel universe type thing where Flash ends up in a different reality where you get the continuation of the Burton Batman films. However if this is not an alternative reality situation then it just makes me quite confused. Like the DCEU continuity and universe has to be one of the biggest piles of crap ever? Not talking about the quality of the films but their plan (or lack of plan) is just very confusing. Like you got the Snyder ones and Suicide Squad that are connected to Aquaman, then you have Shazam which is technically connected but feels like a whole other universe. Then you have a reboot of Batman and a Flash movie coming like 5 years after Justice League..

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: June 25, 2020, 07:20:02 AM »
It's got to be a Batman Beyond where Bruce is old and he's training a new protege.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1222 on: June 25, 2020, 08:10:45 AM »
It's got to be a Batman Beyond where Bruce is old and he's training a new protege.

A Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker kind of thing would be fantastic

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1223 on: June 25, 2020, 08:41:33 PM »
Keaton reprising Batman in a Flash movie sounds very interesting to me assuming it's a parallel universe type thing where Flash ends up in a different reality where you get the continuation of the Burton Batman films. However if this is not an alternative reality situation then it just makes me quite confused. Like the DCEU continuity and universe has to be one of the biggest piles of crap ever? Not talking about the quality of the films but their plan (or lack of plan) is just very confusing. Like you got the Snyder ones and Suicide Squad that are connected to Aquaman, then you have Shazam which is technically connected but feels like a whole other universe. Then you have a reboot of Batman and a Flash movie coming like 5 years after Justice League..

Well, we don't know all of the specifics yet, but it's been confirmed for awhile that The Flash movie is going to be based on the Flashpoint storyline where Barry Allen uses his powers to travel back in time to stop his mother from being murdered... only to result in a horrific new timeline, and he has to ultimately work to fix everything. However by the time it's all over, the timeline Barry lives in is still a bit different from the one before, but it's as close as he's going to get anytime soon.

From the sound of things, there'll probably be a lot of deviations from the original comic and it might tie more into the multiverse, but the easy guess is Barry will wind up in the Burtonverse and meet Keaton's Batman there. Then at the end of the film, after 'fixing' everything, Keaton's Batman will be probably retconned into the new status quo of the DCEU and replace Batfleck from the timeline. That way he'll co-exist with Flash, Wonder Woman, Shazam, Harley Quinn and Aquaman (which are all part of the DCEU, even if they differ from one another tonally).

So basically I'm guessing we meet Keaton again and it'll be the same timeline as the Burton films, which will then kinda be 'written over' the existing canon for Batfleck in the mainline DCEU at the end of the film. We'll see what happens. :lol

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we get Batman Beyond. However there's been some murmurs from the various film reporters that Bruce might wind up coaching and training Batgirl instead, since that movie is still on the docks at Warner Bros.

Either way, if Keaton comes back, I'd wager we see him don the Batsuit at least a few times before it's all over. Maybe some sort of blend of his Batman Returns suit and the one from Kingdom Come?
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: June 25, 2020, 08:50:14 PM »
That would still be cool.  Surprised there has been no rumors of Batgirl though.