Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 54477 times)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN
« Reply #1190 on: May 17, 2019, 03:10:57 PM »
...So, I'm just trusting that Reeves has got the perfect guy to tell his more "detective" version of Batman story. I am looking forward to that approach. That's sort of where I thought a fourth Nolan film should go. Flesh out that side of the character, involve The Riddler, and make him a serial killer to a degree as well.

Yeah, that could have been really cool.  Even though I felt like the third film fell flat and had some missteps, I really loved Nolan's overall arc and his take on the characters.  I think another film or two, or even a second trilogy could have focused on that aspect of the character.  It could have started with Bruce firmly in retirement, but coming to the realization that, without Batman, things were getting out of control.  And then him facing the dilemma of feeling inexorably drawn back to donning the cowl and cape, but not being physically able to do it as the street-fighting "superhero," and so opting, of necessity, to go more the detective route (and it also being of necessity due to the nature of the villain).  Then, supplementing that arc, you maybe bring in Robin and the mentoring relationship borne out of need to have that physical element, but Bruce being physically incapable of bringing that himself, and him eventually then just passing the torch.  With Nolan's sense of character and tone, I would have loved to have seen him build that type of arc in his own Gotham universe.

Other hardcore fans of TDK Trilogy may disagree, but I think the ending of The Dark Knight Rises was a perfect opportunity just for that (bolded part). Although as has played out over time, with exceptions in various story arcs, Bruce Wayne IS Batman. My thought is that when Robin (Blake) finds the note and the cave, at the same time, Bruce and Selina, while on holiday in Europe -- that never works. That relationship never works. It's a dead giveaway to a setup of Bruce coming back. His money is recovered by Alfred (remember, "remainder to Alfred Pennyworth") and Bruce returns after the Selina fling ends. And "Robin" becomes Robin, and Bruce trains him, and they go on. At least for the next several years. Blake's age isn't given, but looking at the character, I think he's supposed to be in his early 20s. Bruce is...38 I believe. So there's ample time for another trilogy of sorts, going on that angle you were talking about.

My thought always was that at some point, you do Riddler, work in Penguin, and at some point bring back The Joker, and make a true live-action arc of The Death in the Family, where Robin is brutalized by the Joker (in the comics, it was Jason Todd being killed), which sets Batman off the deep end. I would have LOVED Nolan to do something with that, in his own way. But oh well.

That's not at all where I think Reeve's story would go, I think he's very much got his own detective-based movie that is totally separate from Nolan's trilogy. But we'll see.
AnybodyListening.net - The definitive history of Queensryche's original lineup.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1191 on: May 17, 2019, 06:08:37 PM »
Very curious to see if/how The Batman is worked into the DCEU. Or if they're just going to scrap the whole thing and just make solo movies.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1192 on: May 27, 2019, 04:04:54 AM »
Apparently, Robert Pattinson is playing the new Batman in Matt Reeves new movie. Reeves is reportedly exploring the detective side of Batman which should be a great take on it.

I don't really pay a lot of attention to actors. I had friends send this news to me last night, laughing. I reminded them all I knew of Heath Ledger was kissing some gay cowboy, and how I thought him being The Joker could be a clusterfuck. Obviously, LEdger delivered an iconic performance. So, I'm just trusting that Reeves has got the perfect guy to tell his more "detective" version of Batman story. I am looking forward to that approach. That's sort of where I thought a fourth Nolan film should go. Flesh out that side of the character, involve The Riddler, and make him a serial killer to a degree as well.

Pattison is an accomplished actor, and I'm looking forward to a new Bat-film. I was no fan of Affleck, so really looking forward to this reboot.

Yep!

I'm speaking frankly here for anyone who just knows him from Twilight: Robert Pattinson is arguably the finest actor of his generation. I don't say that lightly, the man has been getting better and better since 2012 and has been on fire for the past two years. We are ridiculously lucky that he appears to be our new Batman. I actually had him as my personal dark horse fan-cast for the past year and didn't think it'd actually happen.

And yes, the example with Heath Ledger is on point. This tends to be a recurring thing with Batman castings; the more unconventional a choice, the bigger initial backlash from fans and then the ultimate payoff in theaters later. It happened with Keaton in the 1980's, it happened with Ledger in 2006 and it happened with Affleck too (though he was brought down by a mediocre film).

I am expecting some very impressive things to come from Matt Reeves and Robert Pattinson with this new era of Batman films.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Polarbear

« Reply #1193 on: May 27, 2019, 04:37:50 AM »
Very curious to see if/how The Batman is worked into the DCEU. Or if they're just going to scrap the whole thing and just make solo movies.

They should focus on making a great Batman trilogy first.

Regarding Pattinson, he is a great actor regardless of the Twilight baggage he carries with him.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1194 on: May 28, 2019, 11:57:07 AM »
I'm just really pleased at the get-go that the new Batman story is going to focus more on his detective skills. Nothing like that has really been done yet. All we got was Batman '89 having Batman figure out the Joker's formula, and Bale's Batman dabbling a bit in various detective-oriented things with Alfred and Blake/Robin doing his thing. A full on detective-thriller with Batman, with action playing a more supporting thing, is something I'm really excited to see.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1195 on: May 31, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »
So Robert Pattinson is now OFFICIALLY cast as Batman.
I really like the choice.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1196 on: May 31, 2019, 01:22:32 PM »
I've only seen Pattinson in High Life, and while think it's not a good movie, he was really fantastic in it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: May 31, 2019, 01:30:59 PM »
Nolan cast him in Tenet. That will be how I'll judge his ability. I'm going into The Batman with an open mind. It's entirely possible he'll be horrible, or that the film is targeting a younger audience and I'll hate it all. Or, it could be outstanding. But I'm not going to waste a ton of mental imagery bitching about casting just because the guy had a prominent role in some tweeny Vampire series. Again, Ledger was a gay cowboy...and nailed one of the most iconic roles and performances ever.