Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 130833 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN
« Reply #1155 on: December 16, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
Considering it isn't out until the 21st ....

Huh....I've seen several selfie posts "IN LINE FOR AQUAMAN!!" so I thought it was out Friday.

Some countries in Europe/Asia have released it; 21st for North America.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1156 on: December 16, 2018, 04:40:17 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1157 on: December 17, 2018, 08:56:47 AM »
You cray cray gzarruk.  That's the one movie that was very good.  They others.....

Eh, it was good, but I would also say it was WAY overrated.  I think people generally rate it higher than it probably should be because Gal Gadot is so cute and because it is simply so much better than the other DC films, so it may seem better than it actually is just because of comparisons.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1158 on: December 17, 2018, 10:24:12 AM »
Considering it isn't out until the 21st ....

Huh....I've seen several selfie posts "IN LINE FOR AQUAMAN!!" so I thought it was out Friday.

The theaters are running "sneak peek" early screenings. They did one for Transformers: Bumblebee on Dec. 8, and they have done it for Aquaman. That's why there is a lot of chatter. Plus media screenings as well. I haven't seen Aquaman yet, but have tickets for Friday afternoon (and Bumblebee on Saturday morning).

B
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1159 on: December 17, 2018, 03:18:28 PM »
You cray cray gzarruk.  That's the one movie that was very good.  They others.....

Eh, it was good, but I would also say it was WAY overrated.  I think people generally rate it higher than it probably should be because Gal Gadot is so cute and because it is simply so much better than the other DC films, so it may seem better than it actually is just because of comparisons.

And it still had those awful DC movie CGI effects that make everything look like it was edited on a Play Station 1.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1160 on: December 17, 2018, 03:21:17 PM »

It was very good for most of it. Then the last bit was awful, which balances it all out to good. But the awfulness of the ending doesn't ruin how good the rest of it was.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: December 17, 2018, 05:41:10 PM »
Still was a very good movie.  So if you didn't like that don't even bother with the others.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1162 on: December 17, 2018, 05:42:18 PM »
Just League had some good moments.

The Flash running and Superman seeing him was gold.

The rest...........eh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1163 on: December 18, 2018, 04:37:23 AM »

It was very good for most of it. Then the last bit was awful, which balances it all out to good. But the awfulness of the ending doesn't ruin how good the rest of it was.
Pretty much this, although I don't agree that the end was awful. But it was definitely a big step down from the rest of the film which was great.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1164 on: December 18, 2018, 08:37:10 AM »
I am a bit more even keeled than some in that I didn't hate the ending as much (I thought the CGI was bad, they de-volved an otherwise good and enigmatic villain to the point of genericness, and it just felt too much like a video game rather than a good story.  It didn't "ruin" the movie by any stretch.  But it wasn't good either), and I didn't think the rest of it was as great as most.  The 95% leading up to the final sequence was "good."  Some aspects were "very good," but some weren't good at all.  Hey, that's a movie for you.  Overall, it was a "good movie" to me.  And that's fine.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1165 on: December 20, 2018, 11:55:00 AM »
Yes, everything leading up to the final confrontation with Ares was perfectly set up, but the battle was extremely underwhelming and felt more like a random cgi showcase.

I don't know, but I considered the Man of Steel battle against Zod to be one of the most climactic battles ever, it just felt so awesome and brought me back some really cool Matrix vibes, which is something that is welcome and I enjoyed it 'till the end.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1166 on: December 21, 2018, 07:19:56 AM »
Aquaman was good. It suffered from CGI overload at a few points, but what superhero movie doesn't these days. Glad to see the DCEU starting to make good movies. Hopefully they can keep it up.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1167 on: December 21, 2018, 03:32:29 PM »
How the fuck did Manta survive?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1168 on: December 21, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
Well, popular theory out there is that, not only her, but ALL of the people who turned to dust after the snap will come back, so...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: December 21, 2018, 04:22:55 PM »
Seeing it tomorrow

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1170 on: December 21, 2018, 04:40:03 PM »
Seriously though, his head exploded, melted, and then he bounced of about a thousand rocks on the way down. When he finally stopped, in my head I said that if he survived I was gonna rage.

Pretty fun flick overall, though a bit overdone at many points. They really lost me in the first few bits when Momoa was doing the dramatic pauses, but thankfully that was it. Also, if his skin is so impenetrable, even had that sword clink off it in the submarine, how did he ever get inked?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1171 on: December 22, 2018, 06:52:16 PM »
Just got back from seeing it. I thought the trailer looked hokey, but I ended up liking it more than any of the other DC movies so far.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: December 23, 2018, 06:45:42 AM »
Saw it with Mrs. P yesterday. We give it 2.5 stars out of 4.

The chemistry between Jason and Amber was the best part but overall the movie lacked in story and dialog. Way too much action, cgi (hokey at times), and unintentional comedy. When Dafoe was doing the spinning trident thing I whispered to Mrs. P, "If done right, no can defense." In the final battle when Aquaman started doing it too, we busted up laughing. We got a few strange looks from other movie goers.

Anyway, entertaining once, but I've no desire to see it again.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: December 23, 2018, 08:13:37 AM »
For the final battle, I wasn't sure if I'd time-warped back to 2002 and was re-watching the final battle of Attack of the Clones.  Then The Kraken from Clash of the Titans showed up (though it was more like a Crab-Kraken), and knew it wasn't 2002.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: December 24, 2018, 06:12:20 AM »

The chemistry between Jason and Amber was the best part but overall the movie lacked in story and dialog. Way too much action, cgi (hokey at times), and unintentional comedy. When Dafoe was doing the spinning trident thing I whispered to Mrs. P, "If done right, no can defense." In the final battle when Aquaman started doing it too, we busted up laughing. We got a few strange looks from other movie goers.

It's scary hen a wife get's a man's humor. :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1175 on: December 24, 2018, 07:26:28 AM »

It's scary hen a wife get's a man's humor. :lol

:lol

What's scary is how your misspellings can make any post more amusing.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: December 24, 2018, 07:33:09 AM »
That's not scary.  That's accepted! :lol

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1177 on: December 26, 2018, 03:18:51 PM »
I just saw Aquaman. It was the dumbest movie I've seen in a long time. I freakin' loved it  :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1178 on: January 06, 2019, 07:13:20 PM »
Just saw the movie, Cheesy one-liner, weak plot, but overall descent.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1179 on: February 18, 2019, 04:43:56 AM »
Watched it twice. Actually enjoyed the second viewing a lot better. Yeah the plot may be dumb but the execution is near flawless.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1180 on: March 16, 2019, 04:31:44 PM »
The plot was predictable.

Of course he was gonna lose the trial by combat match against his brother, to go on a hero's journey.

Of course Nicole Kidman wasn't dead.

Of course he would get the trident.

Of course he would fall for the redhead.

And so on and on. Still, it was quite fun, maybe just a bit too long, but it was entertaining and even exciting at times. Another solid move like Wonder Woman, basically as long as Batman and Superman aren't involved, they're managing to make these movies right  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1181 on: April 04, 2019, 02:19:45 AM »
Saw Shazam! yesterday. I really, really liked it. So much fun, so much heart. Defenitely the most concise movie in the current DC franchise.
Zach Levi kills it and the kid who plays Freddie is really good as well. Actually, the entire foster family is really good.
Mark Strong did a fine job as Dr. Sivana, even though he plays the standard evil-guy.
A lot of cool little easter eggs and references, but it still is a completely stand-alone movie.

8/10 - definitely worth watching!  ;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: April 04, 2019, 04:24:00 AM »
Jingle.son was an extra on this one. The whole family is going to see it tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1183 on: April 06, 2019, 06:19:33 AM »
Shazam was pretty great!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: April 07, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
Shazam was all sorts of fun and heart.   

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: April 09, 2019, 03:44:57 PM »
Saw it Friday night with the whole family.  jingle.son was an extra, and though I missed the quick shot of him, he mentioned that he is pretty visible in the flick.  Lots of fun, lots of laughs.  Overall, likely the best DC movie so far.  It was like a family-friendly version of Deadpool meets Spider-Man.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1186 on: April 13, 2019, 02:49:25 PM »
I enjoyed it. I liked the Easter Egg to the last incarnation of Shazam (I assume he's one person again?) Could somebody explain the post credit scene? I imagine that was for the fans

Online faizoff

« Reply #1187 on: May 16, 2019, 07:42:31 PM »
Apparently, Robert Pattinson is playing the new Batman in Matt Reeves new movie. Reeves is reportedly exploring the detective side of Batman which should be a great take on it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1188 on: May 17, 2019, 09:25:07 AM »
Apparently, Robert Pattinson is playing the new Batman in Matt Reeves new movie. Reeves is reportedly exploring the detective side of Batman which should be a great take on it.

I don't really pay a lot of attention to actors. I had friends send this news to me last night, laughing. I reminded them all I knew of Heath Ledger was kissing some gay cowboy, and how I thought him being The Joker could be a clusterfuck. Obviously, LEdger delivered an iconic performance. So, I'm just trusting that Reeves has got the perfect guy to tell his more "detective" version of Batman story. I am looking forward to that approach. That's sort of where I thought a fourth Nolan film should go. Flesh out that side of the character, involve The Riddler, and make him a serial killer to a degree as well.

Pattison is an accomplished actor, and I'm looking forward to a new Bat-film. I was no fan of Affleck, so really looking forward to this reboot.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1189 on: May 17, 2019, 09:39:16 AM »
...So, I'm just trusting that Reeves has got the perfect guy to tell his more "detective" version of Batman story. I am looking forward to that approach. That's sort of where I thought a fourth Nolan film should go. Flesh out that side of the character, involve The Riddler, and make him a serial killer to a degree as well.

Yeah, that could have been really cool.  Even though I felt like the third film fell flat and had some missteps, I really loved Nolan's overall arc and his take on the characters.  I think another film or two, or even a second trilogy could have focused on that aspect of the character.  It could have started with Bruce firmly in retirement, but coming to the realization that, without Batman, things were getting out of control.  And then him facing the dilemma of feeling inexorably drawn back to donning the cowl and cape, but not being physically able to do it as the street-fighting "superhero," and so opting, of necessity, to go more the detective route (and it also being of necessity due to the nature of the villain).  Then, supplementing that arc, you maybe bring in Robin and the mentoring relationship borne out of need to have that physical element, but Bruce being physically incapable of bringing that himself, and him eventually then just passing the torch.  With Nolan's sense of character and tone, I would have loved to have seen him build that type of arc in his own Gotham universe.