Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128578 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN
« Reply #1120 on: September 14, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
More to the point, I think you are much more of an audio-/video-phile than I am.  (I still can't get my audio in my family room to sound right, but I think it is a combo of not having a more high-end system and the room itself, so I think I'm stuck with bad TV sound unless I spend a ton of $$$)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1121 on: September 14, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »
More to the point, I think you are much more of an audio-/video-phile than I am.  (I still can't get my audio in my family room to sound right, but I think it is a combo of not having a more high-end system and the room itself, so I think I'm stuck with bad TV sound unless I spend a ton of $$$)

I am, but I replaced my surround system with a soundbar. It still doesn't sound right. But I'm not shelling out thousands.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1122 on: September 17, 2018, 01:22:45 PM »
I just wanted to stop by and say that I watched Batman Begins and The Dark Knight over the weekend. Those movies are so good. Can't wait to finish with Dark Knight Rises soon. :hefdaddy
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1123 on: September 17, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »
I still can't figure out why I don't like Rises as much.  I mean, I didn't dislike it.  But I just feel like I should like it more than I did.  It has good characters, a cool twist that made sense but still caught most people completely off-guard, a really nice feeling of continuity with the two prior films, and a satisfying resolution/arc-completion that made you feel like you were at the end of the story arc, but not the ends of these characters' lives.  But I just don't find myself wanting to go back to it nearly as much as I thought I would have.  I dunno.  Maybe it's just the fact that it requires just a bit too much suspension of belief about Bruce's exile and healing in a series that otherwise feels very realistic even when it isn't.  Hard to put my finger on.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1124 on: September 17, 2018, 01:41:09 PM »
I used to wonder about the same, then I realised: way too many daylight scenes for a Batman movie.

It may seem crazy, but just think about it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: September 17, 2018, 01:47:27 PM »
I used to wonder about the same, then I realised: way too many daylight scenes for a Batman movie.

Agreed. The nature of the film required it, but absolutely agree. I wonder how much the third film would have been altered had Heath Ledger lived, and the Joker been in it, as previously planned.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1126 on: September 17, 2018, 02:14:11 PM »
I think one issue with the 3rd one is that it felt like it should have been 2 movies, while not really even having enough substance for one movie. It just felt much more hollow and typical comic book movie, which was odd after how game changing the first two were.

I still hold that, as a whole movie, Begins is the best of them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1127 on: September 17, 2018, 04:08:22 PM »
I loved - LOVED - the third one up until the very end. The ending with the bomb just doesn't feel right or that believable to me (insofar as that trilogy's universe goes) and Cotillard's acting when she slumps over in the truck is eyeroll-inducing to me. Otherwise, I still love the hell out of Rises. Tom Hardy's performance as Bane is great imo and I can't say enough good things about Batman getting his ass handed to him with no soundtrack, just the ambience of the water and Hardy breaking bones.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1128 on: September 18, 2018, 11:37:29 PM »
For me, there is always a fine line of “suspension of disbelief”.    Rises crossed that line.   

“You’re spine is broken? No problem.  Let’s just pop that sucker right back in, and you just do some pull ups for 6 months and you’ll be right as rain!!”

Sorry.   That may have been the stupidest moment in any Batman film....and I’m including the Schumacher movies.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: September 19, 2018, 05:47:43 AM »
That was stupid, but Bane kicking off the movie by literally dissecting an airplane with another airplane wasn't?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1130 on: September 19, 2018, 06:17:38 AM »
That was stupid, but Bane kicking off the movie by literally dissecting an airplane with another airplane wasn't?  :lol

Oh, that was too... but it was unique and creative, and it actually seemed almost believable.  That's something that has never happened in real life, so there's no "reality" to compare it against.  Jammin's point about the injury, we can all relate.

I also had a big f'n problem that the US gov't/military would allow a siege in Pittsburgh ... er, Gotham... for 6 months without a plan or attempt to take it back from a terrorist organization.

And Bats takes a shank to the kidney, but is right-as-rain after Catwoman blasts the fuck out of Bane?

The best thing about TDKR is College Humour's "Batman has a dirty mind" skit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: September 19, 2018, 06:28:24 AM »
Have you seen how slowly things move down here? 6 months sounds right :neverusethis:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1132 on: September 19, 2018, 06:41:51 AM »
The cops running into the mob of armed criminals (and two Tumblers) was also pretty stupid.

It never sat well with me that Bane and Talia were going to just allow themselves to die with Gotham when the bomb went off, either.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1133 on: September 19, 2018, 06:53:11 AM »
The worst suspension of disbelief stretch for me is Roger Goodell and ESPN allowing a coup during a televised game.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1134 on: September 19, 2018, 07:12:33 AM »
I loved - LOVED - the third one up until the very end. The ending with the bomb just doesn't feel right or that believable to me (insofar as that trilogy's universe goes) and Cotillard's acting when she slumps over in the truck is eyeroll-inducing to me. Otherwise, I still love the hell out of Rises. Tom Hardy's performance as Bane is great imo and I can't say enough good things about Batman getting his ass handed to him with no soundtrack, just the ambience of the water and Hardy breaking bones.

I agree. Recently watched the trilogy again and I still consider The Dark Knight the best Batman film but worst of "Film" of the trilogy based on story. I always forget how great Rises is. For being almost 3 hours the story is great.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: September 19, 2018, 09:33:41 AM »
The worst suspension of disbelief stretch for me is Roger Goodell and ESPN allowing a coup during a televised game.

Right?!?!?  And I wasn't aware there's a network of empty caverns under Heinz Field.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1136 on: September 19, 2018, 10:44:58 AM »

Right?!?!?  And I wasn't aware there's a network of empty caverns under Heinz Field.

Where do you think they mine all that ketchup?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1137 on: September 23, 2018, 07:20:21 AM »
Pictures of Joaquin pheonix as the joker have emerged. Since I don't want to spoil it for people that don't want to see it yet. Here is the link:

https://www.justjared.com/2018/09/22/joaquin-phoenix-transforms-into-the-joker-while-filming-riot-scene/

Online Adami

« Reply #1138 on: September 23, 2018, 07:23:55 AM »
Looks surprisingly good actually. Hoping the movie matches up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: September 23, 2018, 09:54:04 AM »
Swing and a miss.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: September 27, 2018, 08:51:24 AM »
Looking forward to his take on The Joker.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1141 on: October 15, 2018, 03:31:53 AM »
So I thought Titans pilot episode was pretty good. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1142 on: November 19, 2018, 05:47:28 PM »
Apparently, a new trailer dropped today.  Saw this quote about it:

So, back to the trailer - we thoroughly impressed. So impressed that we are ready to forgive DCEU for disasters that were Man of Steel, Suicide Squad and Justice League.

I thought it looked pretty good.  But then again, a lot of the DCU films have had trailers that made it look like the movies could be pretty good.  So, yeah, I can't say I'm onboard with the sentiment expressed in that quote.  But I'm not automatically writing it off just yet.

Online Adami

« Reply #1143 on: November 19, 2018, 05:50:10 PM »
I feel weird that the Aquaman trailers do.......absolutely nothing for me. I love Jason Momoa. I do. I even like the character. But this just looks boring. Endless CGI and pretty meh writing.

It feels like they filmed for a week or two and then just did the rest on computers. I dunno. Just not feeling it.

Shazam! on the other hand looks really fun.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1144 on: November 19, 2018, 05:57:24 PM »
Yeah, I get that.  Aside from weak writing in general, the biggest obstacle for me with the DC films has been the CGI.  Not that it's done badly.  But when it is used, the amount and the way it is done don't leave me feeling like I am watching anything real.  I feel like I am watching a video game.  Although there will obviously be a ton of CGI in this one, what I saw of it in that trailer just kind of...felt like it should look like that for all the water-related stuff they are doing.  In context of the film, it might actually be too much.  But I kind of liked what I saw in the trailer.

Online Adami

« Reply #1145 on: November 19, 2018, 06:09:18 PM »
Just watched the new trailer for the first time.

Still not feeling it. It's a real shame. I love Jason Momoa. I love Patrick Wilson. I love Willam Defoe. I love Nicole Kidman.

Still nothing.

Also, I think I heard like 4 "WAHOOOO"s in that trailer. Come on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1146 on: November 20, 2018, 12:40:51 PM »

It's not crazy.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1147 on: November 22, 2018, 11:30:04 AM »
:clap:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1148 on: November 22, 2018, 12:37:01 PM »
 :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1149 on: December 16, 2018, 10:19:37 AM »
Surprised no one has spoken up yet. I’m seeing lots of Facebook feedback, but nothing here. And I tend to trust you guys’ artistic tastes more than my friends, soooo who has seen it?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1150 on: December 16, 2018, 10:39:35 AM »
Considering it isn't out until the 21st ....

Online Adami

« Reply #1151 on: December 16, 2018, 10:40:23 AM »
Surprised no one has spoken up yet. I’m seeing lots of Facebook feedback, but nothing here. And I tend to trust you guys’ artistic tastes more than my friends, soooo who has seen it?

Haven't had any interest in this since the first trailer, but many of the reviews (outside of youtube comments and DC fanboys) has been "big dumb and loud." Luckily most people love big dumb and loud movies, so it'll make a good amount of money and be seen as the new direction for DC.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1152 on: December 16, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »
Considering it isn't out until the 21st ....

Huh....I've seen several selfie posts "IN LINE FOR AQUAMAN!!" so I thought it was out Friday. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1153 on: December 16, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »
I lost all interest in DC movies after Wonder Woman, went to see it with the gf and both hated it. Also, to this day, I still haven’t watched JL, so I doubt I’ll go watch this one.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1154 on: December 16, 2018, 01:54:37 PM »
You cray cray gzarruk.  That's the one movie that was very good.  They others.....

Here's hoping for Aquaman.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC