Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128631 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN
« Reply #1050 on: June 29, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »
We must've watched a different movie.  I thought JL was serviceable.  Not as bad as some of the other DCU movies, but certainly not 'great'.  I struggled to consider it good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1051 on: June 29, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »
The best moments in Justice League were character moments. I think everyone can agree the eye dart Superman gives The Flash when he was trying to run around him was fantastic. That look on Flash's face was priceless. I loved that Cyborg, who was getting used to his daily upgrades to his robotic body and system, couldn't function at 100% and had glitches. And yeah, Batman telling Flash to save one person, then he'll know whether he's not to save people, was great.

It just doesn't feel like a complete movie. There's gumption missing, but greedy WB Execs didn't want to push the release date for more filming because they wanted their bonuses before ATT could buy Time Warner.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1052 on: June 30, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »
I thought JL was serviceable.  Not as bad as some of the other DCU movies, but certainly not 'great'.  I struggled to consider it good.

I hadn't seen Dawn of Justice of JL until last night.  Saw both.  Not impressed.  Cool that I saw them, but...yeah.

EDIT:  As to the character moments being the best part of Justice League, I have to say that I didn't really "feel" the character moments.  I felt like they were intended to be the best parts of the film, but that most of them were so trite and artificial that they didn't really evoke any feeling.  Maybe I'm just being too hard on these films, but they really did little for me in that regard.

I do think the overall plot concept on Dawn of Justice was pretty cool.  It just fell a bit flat in the execution.  But it was a good concept and had a great villain in this iteration of Luthor.  Actually, if not for the Zod creature final battle and the very wooden performance of Superman, I might have actually been able to say that I liked that film.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:04:39 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1053 on: July 18, 2018, 10:35:37 PM »
Happy 10th Anniversary to the greatest comic book movie of all time, THE DARK KNIGHT!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1054 on: July 18, 2018, 10:39:20 PM »
Happy 10th Anniversary to the greatest comic book movie of all time, THE DARK KNIGHT!!!

I was thinking about that movie, since it's usually called the greatest comic book movie.

I found that, outside of the Joker stuff, which really is the greatest stuff, it's a good movie, but not a great movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1055 on: July 18, 2018, 10:49:24 PM »
Im usually with you on a lot of film related subjects, but this isnt one of them. The Dark Knight is a great movie.

As iconic as Ledger was...and he WAS amazing...otherworldy even....I truly believe Aaron Eckhart’s Two-Face is the real standout for me.

The movie may have been about Batman and the Joker, but the true crux of the story is the battle for Harvey Dent’s soul and Eckhart plays that beautifully. That is the most important storyarc in the film.

Online Adami

« Reply #1056 on: July 18, 2018, 11:04:08 PM »
Im usually with you on a lot of film related subjects, but this isnt one of them. The Dark Knight is a great movie.

As iconic as Ledger was...and he WAS amazing...otherworldy even....I truly believe Aaron Eckhart’s Two-Face is the real standout for me.

The movie may have been about Batman and the Joker, but the true crux of the story is the battle for Harvey Dent’s soul and Eckhart plays that beautifully. That is the most important storyarc in the film.

It was good. But it suffered from the Nolan ON THE NOSE moralizing. The whole surveillance state commentary was just too much and too bluntly done.

I dunno. I think Two-Face's thing was too rushed. If it had been done over two movies. Where you get to know and cement him as Harvey Dent in one movie, then destroy him in the second it might have worked. But he very quickly went from "I'm a good guy" to "I"M GONNA KILL CHILDREN" way too fast.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1057 on: July 19, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »
We actually just re-watched the Nolan Batman Trilogy since I got the 4k versions. I found The Dark Knight to be the best "Batman" film since Batman and the Joker get a ton of screen time but I still feel like the Batman Begins is still the best story and actually The Dark Knight Rises gets better with each viewing.

Online Adami

« Reply #1058 on: July 19, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
Anyone see the first trailer for the new Titans show?

It honestly looked like a fake trailer for someone making fun of how dark and gritty things have gotten.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1059 on: July 19, 2018, 02:19:35 PM »
Wow, that does look terrible. DC just doesn't have their shit together.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1060 on: July 19, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »

FYI, you spelled "Infinity War" wrong.  Try spell-checking your posts.  ;)

It was good. But it suffered from the Nolan ON THE NOSE moralizing. The whole surveillance state commentary was just too much and too bluntly done.

I dunno. I think Two-Face's thing was too rushed. If it had been done over two movies. Where you get to know and cement him as Harvey Dent in one movie, then destroy him in the second it might have worked. But he very quickly went from "I'm a good guy" to "I"M GONNA KILL CHILDREN" way too fast.

I agree on both points.  But the "surveillance state commentary" wasn't really that big a deal to me since it wasn't a major point.  And while I don't disagree with you in general, I also sort of think we needed Fox to be Bruce's conscience on that issue and show that Bruce really had gone off the rails.  It is an important counterpoint.  And it highlights this important duality in Bruce's character where, on some issues, he adhere's VERY strictly to a certain moral code to the point where he cannot help but be overly rigid, even to his own detriment, whereas on other issues, he clearly crosses lines he shouldn't.  This duality and contradiction is part of what makes him a compelling (and realistic) character.

I agree more on Two-Face's transformation.  The flip did feel to sudden, especially given its extreme nature.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #1061 on: July 19, 2018, 02:24:02 PM »
Oh I wasn't against the overall point of the surveillance state thing. I just think it was too bluntly done.

Fox standing in front of the monitors and stating "This is wrong" is just extremely on the nose.

There could have been some more creative or subtle ways of getting that across.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1062 on: July 19, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »
After seeing that Titans trailer I'm more convinced than ever DC needs to hang it up for a few years and seriously reconsider everything they've been doing with their properties. That trailer is embarrassing for several reasons. "Fuck Batman" indeed - they're dropping the ball left and right. Good lord.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1063 on: July 20, 2018, 04:39:10 AM »
Didn't look too bad to me.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1064 on: July 21, 2018, 02:48:23 PM »
What a great day for DC fans! We've got two awesome trailers from Comic-Con!

First Aquaman, probably the most anticipated trailer from the SDCC. Everyone wants to see what James Wan is going to do with a character that has been in the shadows of his silly Super Friends interpretation. However, all readers of the Aquaman comics know what Jason Mamoa did with the character is almost comic accurate. He is confident and reluctant, and more of those characterizations show in this trailer. Everything in this trailer looks fantastic. Looks like a fully realized movie. Atlantis looks beautiful. BLACK MANTA looks so badass!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oD7B7oiBtw

And the second trailer we got is for the original Captain Marvel in SHAZAM! This feels like "Big" meets superheroes. Maybe the best Superhero moment in any of the Comic Con trailers is Billy Baston walking towards the camera, yelling "Shazam!", and turning into Captain Marvel. Feels more like a MCU movie with all the jokes, which I hope doesn't undercut the dramatic moments (looking at you Ragnarok). I think kids will be drawn to this movie. A 12yr old who can transform into looking like a 30 yr old Superhero? Looks like a fun movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oD7B7oiBtw

They showed footage for Wonder Woman 1984 as well, but it hasn't been released.

With the very positive buzz coming out of the panel, the course direction Warner Bros is taking for their DC movies looks like it is paying off!

Online Adami

« Reply #1065 on: July 21, 2018, 02:50:22 PM »
I wasn't impressed by Aquaman. Looked like typical DC fair but with less DARK ANGRY GRITTY. Looked mostly like cut scenes from a video game.

Shazam! on the other hand looked fantastic. Really excited about that one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: July 21, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »
I was pretty meh on both of them tbh.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1067 on: July 21, 2018, 11:09:31 PM »
Shazam! looks pretty fun based on that first trailer.

Agree with Adami on Aquaman. In addition to Cgi looking like it's from Green Lantern, acting from the two main's feels really wooden. I think I'll wait reviews on Aquaman, although this is just the first trailer..

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1068 on: July 21, 2018, 11:52:53 PM »
You guys are complaining about the CGI, which looks fine to me. It's a massive underwater movie. Of course it will be CGI heavy. You think they are gonna have real life trained dolphins and sharks with armor and freakin lasers on their heads? lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: July 22, 2018, 05:14:17 AM »
Had to do it ....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: July 22, 2018, 08:45:52 AM »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #1071 on: July 22, 2018, 03:18:09 PM »
You guys are complaining about the CGI, which looks fine to me. It's a massive underwater movie. Of course it will be CGI heavy. You think they are gonna have real life trained dolphins and sharks with armor and freakin lasers on their heads? lol

This kind of misses the point of my criticism.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1072 on: July 22, 2018, 04:23:21 PM »
Yikes. Shazam should bomb hard. Aquaman is reminding me a little too much of The Little Mermaid. We’ll see.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1073 on: July 22, 2018, 04:48:13 PM »
I really enjoyed the Shazam trailer.    It reminded me a little bit of Big.   If they can create that nice balance of comedy, characters, and story that Big had, I think it could go really well.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: July 22, 2018, 04:51:27 PM »
I rag on the DC films a lot (for good reason) but I have to say the Aquaman trailer makes it look way better than I expected. That's kind of what I was hoping they'd go for, super fantastical with the creatures all over the place, I don't really get a Little Mermaid vibe at all, and there are some dialogue bits I don't like but hey it looks good. Whether or not it is is another story.

Shazam looks just weird. The whole time I was watching - I don't know when they pitched Shazam, just to clarify - I kept thinking this was their attempt at trying to fix the brand's problem with humor and lighthearted character development. But it just looks so silly, from his name to the huge lightning bolt thing on his chest. Who knows. I really can't get a proper read on it from the trailer.

Online Adami

« Reply #1075 on: July 22, 2018, 04:56:03 PM »
Shazam looks just weird. The whole time I was watching - I don't know when they pitched Shazam, just to clarify - I kept thinking this was their attempt at trying to fix the brand's problem with humor and lighthearted character development. But it just looks so silly, from his name to the huge lightning bolt thing on his chest. Who knows. I really can't get a proper read on it from the trailer.

Weird, I'm the opposite. To me, it seemed like Aquaman was them trying desperately to fix the brand. It looks like the movie is largely a result of studio notes from the last few DC films. It just felt a bit....hollow.

Shazam! just looks like they're making a fun movie where it fits perfectly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: July 22, 2018, 05:18:54 PM »
I fear Aquaman is going to be hollow, but at least those were my first impressions from the trailer. It looks flashy but I still can't tell if it's actually going to be a good movie or that was just super selective editing. Is Shazam! going to have any connectivity with the main DC line of films, ie is he going to meet the Justice League or something?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1077 on: July 22, 2018, 07:25:02 PM »
You ever she a hot girl and you think, "She must be great in bed", and then you spend the night and she's not.

Hold your horses on one trailer. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #1078 on: July 22, 2018, 07:29:02 PM »
You ever she a hot girl and you think, "She must be great in bed", and then you spend the night and she's not.

Nope. But I will hold my rideable sharks. ;)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1079 on: July 22, 2018, 11:15:18 PM »
Aquaman....I liked that Mantis is going to be in it.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1080 on: July 23, 2018, 01:13:23 AM »
You mean Black Manta? Mantis is the chick from Guardians of the Galaxy.   ;)
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1081 on: July 23, 2018, 07:40:41 AM »
 :facepalm:

Thank you. Yes.

Been 30 years since I’ve seen the old Justice League cartoon.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1082 on: July 23, 2018, 06:58:14 PM »

Nope. But I will hold my rideable sharks. ;)

I'd pay to see that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1083 on: July 26, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »
I didn't get particularly excited by either the Shazam or Aquaman trailers, but as a lifelong comic book fan who collected tons of comic books growing up I will probably still see both in cinemas because even if its just temporary enjoyment my inner child gets a kick of seeing these movies.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1084 on: July 26, 2018, 09:44:58 AM »
My excitement level for these is precisely zero.  I've actually somehow seen all five films so far, but WW was the only one that came close to being good. 

I saw Man of Steel because I genuinely wanted to.  It had some cool moments, but was just too much of an over-the-top CGI fest that felt like it had no substance whatsoever.

Saw Suicide Squad one weekend when the wife and kids were away because it seemed intriguing.  And Harley Quinn is a really cool character.  It had some moments.  But again turned into a CGE fest against a bad guy duo with very little substance.

On another weekend with everyone out of town, I saw Dawn of Justice and Justice League, which I recently posted about.  Luthor was great.  The rest...snooze fest.

WW was interesting.  Some good character development.  If not for the final battle with Ares being more of the same, it could have been a legitimately good movie.  But while I can say I enjoyed it, it did not leave me wanted more from the same universe either. 

Again, I'm actually kind of surprised to say that I've seen them all, albeit 4 of the 5 on home video only.  There's not a single one that makes me want to watch again or makes me intrigued for the next in the series.  Sorry to slag them.  But part of it is just frustration and feeling like they really should be better than they are, and there is no really good reason why they aren't other than the folks in charge of making these be good films just simply not knowing how to make a good film (or not caring to).