Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128596 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Dawn of Justice League
« Reply #280 on: March 09, 2016, 09:01:01 AM »
JK Simmons is always good casting.

But there was no way in hell he was coming back to Spider-Man.  Marvel and Sony would not have done that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #281 on: March 09, 2016, 09:06:10 AM »
I remember JK Simmons saying at one point that there had been contact (might have been before the Marvel/Sony deal) but I think it would have been possible. Not a guarantee, but I'd say over 50%.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #282 on: March 09, 2016, 10:01:35 AM »
I've seen him respond to reporters/fanboys questions about it (that he wouldn't be against it), but I've never heard him or anyone else say that the actual studio had contacted him about it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #283 on: March 10, 2016, 08:24:14 PM »
EW just did two awesome interviews with Affleck and Cavill about their prospective roles, and it delves into the collateral damage controversy in Man of Steel, which seems to be the driving force of the beef between Bats and Supes. I like that they did not ignore it and it's an integral part of the plot, because there is a LOT of collateral damage in most superhero movies, whether it's DC or Marvel. Civil War hinted this issue too in the new trailer.

He's a few of quotes from the Cavill interview: https://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/08/batman-v-superman-henry-cavill-interview

“Superman’s weakness is that he doesn’t want to hurt anyone. He doesn’t want to scare anyone, and in that you can take advantage of him. This is someone who is a complete amateur, and he’s facing up against someone who is very well versed in the arts of War."

After the destruction we saw in Man of Steel, is Superman suffering from a kind of survivor’s guilt, since he saved the world, but destroyed a city?
I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a survivor’s guilt. I mean, that’s a different kind of thing because he’s above the threat. I think the most difficult thing for him at this stage of the story is that he has just come to terms with the fact that he is really, really quite powerful and he hasn’t found any major vulnerabilities yet, and despite this, despite the enormous power that he has, he still cannot do everything, and he really struggles with that. It’s not just a quick, “Okay, I get it. I can’t save everyone.” That takes a long time to work out.

I've been defending MOS in that Superman was not "Superman", just an alien being in a suit trying to figure out things, and this pretty much confirms what I thought the direction of the Character was going. Superman is the reason why these super beings are coming out and revealing themselves to the world because they can't do it alone. This will all lead into the assembly of the Justice League.

From the Affleck interview: https://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/09/batman-v-superman-ben-affleck-wonder-woman

I like that Zack took this issue that some people had with Man of Steel, the anger over all this chaos and destruction unleashed in the climax of that movie and actually turned it into the plot. Can you talk to me about the contempt that Bruce Wayne feels for this godlike figure?
Yeah, watching destruction and seeing things exploding, which we take for granted in this genre of movie — there’s a price for that. There are people in those buildings, and the people in those buildings get killed, and that’s the real price of violence. The real cost of that is in people’s lives and suffering. And we see that through the suffering that Bruce Wayne goes through. I think it’s really interesting. I really liked the idea that you can’t just blow up a whole city and just blindly move on.

Your Batman has been doing this for more than a decade or so, maybe even longer than that. But he doesn’t feel like things are better. Is Batman projecting some of his own anger toward himself on Superman?
Yeah, he’s projecting in some ways his own sense of failure, his own sense of disillusionment, his own cynicism onto Superman, having at one point been certainly much more idealistic about what he was doing. He’s also always been kind of a dark guy. You can’t go out at night and avenge crime the way he does, obviously, without a darker view of the world, but you can see that this probably contributes in some degree to the greater cycle of violence. And that doesn’t put an end to crime. There’s a line about weeds just cropping up and criminals are like weeds, you just pull more of them and they grow back. He’s very disillusioned and very bitter.

Yes. YES. Fucking perfect.

God I just hope they fixed the story construction, which was a glaring flaw for Man of Steel. It sounds like the hiring of Chris Terrio to re-write the script helped fixed it.

Also I love this  :lol

What do Batman and Superman talk about when you’re both in costume between takes?
Like, “Do you need to pee?” “Yeah, I need to pee.” “Should we go now or wait?” “How much time do you think we’ll have between shots?” [Laughs] That’s pretty much it. The process.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #284 on: March 10, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
Exactly what I said as well about MOS.  Dead on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2016, 09:04:07 PM »
So it has been CONFIRMED that the secret Jena Malone role for Batman v Superman is indeed Barbara Gordon. She has been cut from the theatrical release. More than likely, all that R-rated stuff might include her as she gets crippled from Jared Leto's Joker, who was reported to have shot something for BVS.

I guarantee it we will have Oracle in the Ben Affleck directed Batman movie  :metal

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #286 on: March 17, 2016, 10:33:45 AM »
It was only a matter of time until somebody responded to Deadpool. WB just announced their newest entty into the DCU will be:

Lobo

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #287 on: March 17, 2016, 11:25:43 AM »
Not sure how I feel about that.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #288 on: March 18, 2016, 09:55:21 PM »
Well, WB has been trying to make a Lobo movie for a while. Guy Ritchie was very vocal about directing it back in 2009 or 2010.

It's interesting because he first appeared in Omega Men in the 80's, and then was revived in the 90's as this awesome biker bounty hunter. I don't think he's been popular since, with some brief appearances in the DC animated movies and Justice League tv show in the early 2000s. But if Guardians of the Galaxy proved anything, people will go see a movie about an interesting character they aren't familiar with, and one who is an anti-hero. I'm excited to see what happens with it. They have Jason Fuchs writing it, and reports are saying WB are very happy with the script he wrote for Wonder Woman.

There are a few actors I can imagine playing Lobo. Mickey Rourke is on top of my list. I think Danny Trejo would be a fun choice as well. Jeffery Dean Morgan who played The Comedian in Watchmen would be excellent

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2016, 04:48:43 AM »
There are a few actors I can imagine playing Lobo. Mickey Rourke is on top of my list. I think Danny Trejo would be a fun choice as well. Jeffery Dean Morgan who played The Comedian in Watchmen would be excellent

He was awesome in The Losers too.  I don't know squat about Lobo, but if you think JDM is a good choice, then Clive Owen might be too - the two of them remind me a lot of one another.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2016, 06:08:27 PM »
Red Letter Media suggested that an R - rated Lobo would be coming. As usual they are spot on.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #291 on: March 21, 2016, 04:00:36 PM »
Reactions from the Batman v Superman Premiere last night have been overall pretty positive! And it sounds like Gal Gadot steals the show! Also some of the reactions say that the trailers have deceived us. Sounds good to me! Give me this damn movie now!!!!

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/the-first-reactions-from-the-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-a132330

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #292 on: March 21, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »
Glad this is getting good reviews. I may actually go see it now.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #293 on: March 21, 2016, 08:42:44 PM »
I wish we gotten this trailer for BVS. Trailers sure knew how to market their films back 20 years ago :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOnUt2P3qiM

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #294 on: March 22, 2016, 07:57:43 AM »
I'm glad to hear all the good stuff coming out about BvS, but keep in mind that none of these reports are actual reviews from legit critics - those are still on embargo for a few more days.

But I remain hopeful.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #295 on: March 22, 2016, 10:34:09 AM »
The two largest newspapers in Norway (VG and Dagbladet) have both reviewed BvS and given it 5/6.
Dagbladet writes: "One of the most interesting super-hero movies since The Dark Night".

I cant wait! Seeing it tomorrow!  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: March 22, 2016, 11:40:11 AM »

Dagbladet writes: "One of the super-hero movies since The Dark Night".

ftfy :P

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: March 22, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »
The two largest newspapers in Norway (VG and Dagbladet) have both reviewed BvS and given it 5/6.
Dagbladet writes: "One of the most interesting super-hero movies since The Dark Night".

I cant wait! Seeing it tomorrow!  :metal

I don't think I've ever seen someone rate something on a 6-point scale before.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: March 22, 2016, 12:04:36 PM »
1 - bad
2 - competent
3 - not bad
4 - good
5 - great
6 - amazeballs

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #299 on: March 22, 2016, 01:11:07 PM »
5 dots on a dice is more accurate  ;)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: March 22, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
5 dots on a dice is more accurate  ;)

Not on my dice:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #301 on: March 22, 2016, 02:47:45 PM »
:lol  Well...prog forum, so yeah...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: March 22, 2016, 04:02:26 PM »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #303 on: March 23, 2016, 12:02:27 AM »
It's sitting at 35% on rottentomatoes.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #304 on: March 23, 2016, 12:15:16 AM »
Apparently while the initial fan twitter reactions were good, the actual critics were less pleased. The general consensus seems to be "Fun, but a jumbled mess....also Gal Gadot is awesome"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #305 on: March 23, 2016, 01:51:21 AM »
I'm still hyped about seeing it tomorrow, I won't let other critics affect my opinion.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #306 on: March 23, 2016, 07:44:05 AM »
The general consensus seems to be "Fun, but a jumbled mess....also Gal Gadot is awesome"
Yeah, that seems to be the gist of what I've seen from critics.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #307 on: March 23, 2016, 07:55:35 AM »
I really believe that when they started looking for someone to play Lex Luthor someone referenced Heisenberg for Breaking Bad and another person didn't get it and thought it was Jesse Eisenberg.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #308 on: March 23, 2016, 08:03:51 AM »
lol

While I admittedly haven't seen the film, on the face of it, that seems like HORRIBLE casting.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #309 on: March 23, 2016, 08:12:03 AM »
lol

While I admittedly haven't seen the film, on the face of it, that seems like HORRIBLE casting.

I didn't hate the casting when it was announced, but every appearance by Lex in the trailers has been grating.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: March 23, 2016, 08:20:17 AM »
I'm not seeing it until tomorrow, so just judging it on the trailers, but Eisenberg's Luthor looks like he would fit right into Batman Forever or Batman and Robin, and feels incredibly out of place in a darker than black batman v superman film.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #311 on: March 23, 2016, 08:45:14 AM »
Agreed.

Speaking of how dark the tone is, I hear that this portrayal of Batman may be the darkest ever.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #312 on: March 23, 2016, 09:19:27 AM »
Agree with all the above posts re: Eisenberg. Hope the movie proves us wrong.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #313 on: March 23, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »
Honestly Eisenberg is the one and only reason I would consider seeing this film. He was the only part of the trailers that wasn't boring. :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: March 23, 2016, 09:46:52 AM »
Eisenberg will knock this out of the park.  Adding some colorfulness to this serious superhero movie will add a bit of much need contrast.