Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128628 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Dawn of Justice League
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2015, 02:53:57 PM »
Personally I think a character should stay fairly close to how they were originally, but with some liberties in the smaller areas.

In that case, Superman should not be able to fly.  His original power set was: "Leap 1/8th of a mile [200 meters]; hurdle a twenty-story building...raise tremendous weights...run faster than an express train... and that nothing less than a bursting shell could penetrate his skin!"."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2015, 10:27:35 PM »
I just saw the new trailer.   

Wow...what a complete pile of meh.     I actually had very high hopes for this.   After the mis-step of Man of Steel, and the pressure being on because of Marvel just seeming to make it look effortless (not to mention the very promising trailer for Suicide Squad which I thought was very good), I really had high hopes that DC was going to pull a rabbit out of their hat and give us a movie series that would live up to the promise and give Marvel a run for its money.

But this was....just....    not good.   I even defended the choice of Big Ben in the batsuit, but this looks like a parody of itself.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2015, 10:57:09 PM »
This is an appearance by Patton Oswald on the Screen Junkies web show. 

At the 4 minute mark, he nails EXACTLY why the DC universe is just not getting it, and by implication he nails that Marvel is getting it right....because the characters are totally different. 
https://youtu.be/rfBAqauWxzs
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2015, 12:58:48 AM »
It was a very meh trailer. Oddly paced. I didn't like the music they chose for it. The Comic-Con trailer was absolutely epic.

I'm not gonna judge based on a trailer....because I thought Age of Ultron was going to be awesome and it turned out to be a stinking pile of shit. I still remain optimistic for BVS

Plus this shot at the end of trailer.....i don't care how poorly cut this trailer was....this shot was the money maker for me

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2015, 02:57:42 AM »
Who is that Monster that shows up at the end ?!

Plus the new trailer looks so bad. Not interested...

https://youtu.be/fis-9Zqu2Ro   < - - - New Trailer.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2015, 03:16:08 AM »
Doomsday. And I'll probably end up watching it anyway.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2015, 04:55:18 AM »
Im still super hyped for this movie.
The trailer was definitely not as good as the previous one. It lacked the epicness and was put together really bad.
And even though Batman/Superman-fans knew that they would eventually team up - it's a big spoiler for everybody else!

What I liked:
- It seems like there's some humor in there - that definetely lacked in Man of Steel!
- Ben Affleck still looks like a really good choice for Batman. I loved his Batman-voice!
- Wonder Woman looks great!
- Jesse Eisenberg was not as bad as I feared in this trailer. He looks like a psychopath - however, he still doesen't remind me of Lex Luthor.

What I didn't like:
- They showed Doomsday! Why reveal him before the movie?!!
- Doomsday looked like your average superhero-movie-monster.
- Superman is still Super-emo-man
- They spoiled like the entire movie: Batman hates what happened in Man of Steel. Batman doesen't trust Superman. Superman doesen't trust Batman. Batman and Superman fights. Lex creates Doomsday. Wonder Woman saves the day. Superman and Batman become friends and fight Doomsday together with Wonder Woman. They probably kill Doomsday. Justice League - wohoo! Movie ends.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2015, 06:07:14 AM »
Yeah, after seeing that trailer, there is no way I'm going to a theater for that. I'll wait the 3 weeks it will take for it to be VOD.

At the 4 minute mark, he nails EXACTLY why the DC universe is just not getting it, and by implication he nails that Marvel is getting it right....because the characters are totally different. 
https://youtu.be/rfBAqauWxzs

Perfectly said.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2015, 07:42:49 AM »
Talk about a trailer that gives too much away. I feel like I saw the movie already.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2015, 08:21:29 AM »
Yeah, totally agree.  Way too much shown.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2015, 08:56:52 AM »
Wow!!!  That is exactly how NOT to do a trailer.  Doomsday looks like a charred Ben Grimm from the last FF movie.

I'll still go see it, but I will place my expectations on the floor and step over them as I walk into the theatre.  These kinds of action movies with big budget and big effects have to be seen in the theatre.  I'll just treat it like eye-candy.  That's all.

I don't grab a Snickers bar expecting a filet mignon.  This will be snickers.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2015, 08:59:31 AM »
Wow!!!  That is exactly how NOT to do a trailer.  Doomsday looks like a charred Ben Grimm from the last FF movie.

I'll still go see it, but I will place my expectations on the floor and step over them as I walk into the theatre.  These kinds of action movies with big budget and big effects have to be seen in the theatre.  I'll just treat it like eye-candy.  That's all.

I don't grab a Snickers bar expecting a filet mignon.  This will be snickers.

Exactly how I feel about Avatar. I loved it. It's a visual treat but I wasn't expecting War and Peace.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »
Talk about a trailer that gives too much away. I feel like I saw the movie already.
This.  I am disappointed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
Is Zack Snyder aware that this Lex Luthor feels like taken right out of Batman and Robin? The contrast between the dark and brooding conflict between Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent and then Luthor showing up and being kooky is like nails on chalkboard.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2015, 11:52:56 AM »
Lex looks awful.  And the trailer is terrible - I feel like I know the whole movie now.

Can't believe they went with Doomsday.  Can't believe they REVEALED Doomsday.

Just bad.  Almost all of my hopes are gone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2015, 12:17:20 PM »
Lex looks awful.  And the trailer is terrible - I feel like I know the whole movie now.

Can't believe they went with Doomsday.  Can't believe they REVEALED Doomsday.

Just bad.  Almost all of my hopes are gone.

Yeah, all of that. Eisenberg as Luthor looks awful.  He comes across more like Harley Quinn than Lex Luthor.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2015, 12:41:14 PM »
Fucking Doomsday?  What are they thinking?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2015, 12:47:56 PM »
Thanks to some spoilery thumbnails on youtube I have agsinst my will found out about Doomsday. I love Doomsday, always wanted to see him in a live action movie. But something about this just feels iffy.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2015, 12:56:19 PM »
I wouldn't mind them setting up Doomsday, maybe having the creation of him towards the end and end on a cliffhanger with him having escaped and Batman/Superman agreeing they need to work together, cue credits and then you have Justice League set up. But this looks a bit like Spider-Man 3 with Venom, shove in one of the best enemies for the last 15 minutes of a film and totally waste him. Doomsday is one of those few villains I could see be a potential threat needing the whole Justice League to take down, and it feels wrong in so many reasons to waste him like this.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2015, 01:56:10 PM »
I wouldn't mind them setting up Doomsday, maybe having the creation of him towards the end and end on a cliffhanger with him having escaped and Batman/Superman agreeing they need to work together, cue credits and then you have Justice League set up. But this looks a bit like Spider-Man 3 with Venom, shove in one of the best enemies for the last 15 minutes of a film and totally waste him. Doomsday is one of those few villains I could see be a potential threat needing the whole Justice League to take down, and it feels wrong in so many reasons to waste him like this.
Exactly my thoughts.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »
Doomsday is definitely a "he needs his own movie" baddy
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »
Doomsday is definitely a "he needs his own Trilogy" baddy

FTFY

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2015, 03:06:33 PM »
Depends on which version of Doomsday. The mindless super-unstoppable-universal-destroyer doesn't really need an entire movie. That's the version of Doomsday I like the most. But then there's the clever Doomsday, which isn't as interesting. Or they could take inspiration from the Smallville TV show and do the transforms-into-a-human Doomsday. That was one of my favorite Smallville stories, and that would definetely warrant an entire movie. Although a cinamatic version of that would need an actually satisfying end fight.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2015, 09:30:44 PM »
I wonder if people here are confusing Doomsday with Darkseid....because Darkseid would be the big monstrous villain that'll need a story arc over a few films

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2015, 10:31:25 PM »
I feel that this is an absolute perfect contrast to the beautifully shown Civil War trailer (and I'm not starting or even 'in' the Marvel vs. DC thing because I don't give a shit and also I've passed puberty, for anyone wanting to drudge that up). Disregarding the company behind it and the movie itself, that was just a perfect movie trailer in its own right. It showed us story, it showed us brief bits of characters and action, and that was that; boom, see it or don't. This? This was the 'car salesman' trailer. It overstayed its welcome, it showed too much and it was too over the top for its own good; it felt desperate at times. Horrible trailer for what looks to be at least a fun movie. I'll probably catch it on either home release or down the line in theater after the crowds clear out. As far as judging of of trailers though, it looks pretty typical.

Also 2008 The Hulk called and wants its Abomination back. Holy crap. Dead ringer. That is really bad.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »
I wonder if people here are confusing Doomsday with Darkseid....because Darkseid would be the big monstrous villain that'll need a story arc over a few films
No confusion.

Doomsday doesn't necessarily need multiple films, but he needs a Superman film, not a hybrid film like this.  And it doesn't need to be this early in the career of DCU Superman, either.

Just bad, bad, bad.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2015, 06:39:21 AM »
Doomsday probably should be in a Superman solo movie, but there are cool things they could do with more members of JL. But yes, it should not be this early.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2015, 09:03:45 AM »
It is beginning to be reminiscent of Spider-Man 3.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2015, 10:36:33 PM »
Sooooo I just realized something guys....

SUBJEKT 17 LOOKS A LOT LIKE THE MONSTER IN THE TRAILER

It makes more sense that it's Subjekt 17 and not Doomsday. Subjekt 17 came to life in the comics from an extraterrestrial beings DNA, which in this case could be Zod. He's a worthy foe for the Trinity and a good warm up villain for the DCEU

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2015, 11:18:18 PM »
There's been talks of Doomsday ever since they announced BvS though, and it feels like they really go out of their way to blow all their load in this film (hence why they shove in Wonder Woman and Aquaman) so putting in Doomsday, arguably a top3 Superman-villain, makes more sense with what they have been doing so far, than putting in a more unknown villain.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »
Clearly this is not a thread for me, but I have a dumb question.

I was watching TV the other night and I saw a movie preview for Batman vs Superman. WTF? What is that all about? Did one guy turn bad?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
Definitely not the thread for you, not even the right thread considering that Batman/Superman is DC, not Marvel.  :P

But no, not really. It's basically a rivalry turned up to 11 because of ego and conflicting views on how a superhero should act and what morals they should value. That's about it. Looks pretty mediocre, I think.

RIP DTP.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2016, 08:45:07 PM »
This new Suicide Squad trailer is the tits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmRih_VtVAs

Seriously. Margot Robbie is probably the sexiest woman alive.

Oh, and the movie looks awesome  :tup

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2016, 08:54:32 PM »
She really is the perfect choice for Quinn. Great casting there. I'm interested in seeing the cast together and how Leto's Joke plays out. With what I've seen, I think he's going to perfectly embody the more comic-book oriented yet still dark and twisted version of Joker. People got so attached to Ledger's though, it's going to have to be very convincing. I'm warming up to his look and he's such a fantastic actor that I think he'll make me overlook or accept it.

Either way I'm gonna catch this one and I am waaaay more excited for this than BvS.

RIP DTP.