Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128595 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Dawn of Justice League
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 01:48:07 AM »
Ladies and gents, here is your Suicide Squad

From left to right: Slipknot, Captain Boomerang, Enchantress, Katana, Rick Flagg, Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Killer Croc, and El Diablo

Margot Robbie  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

I fucking can't wait for this.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 07:36:44 AM »
Um, well, we'll see.  Hope it's good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 09:47:33 AM »
I suppose this is fine. I know too little about these guys to give a proper opinion.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »
Some set photos

I like that Killer Croc is not CGI'd to death, and that he has practical make up on.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 08:16:46 AM »
https://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/03/james-wan-direct-aquaman

I'm not a big fan of the DC cinematic universe so far but I have to see this one. If only just because James Wan is directing it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »
I'm more excited for Aquaman than I am for Batman v. Superman.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 09:31:17 AM »

Same here. I really did not like Man of Steel, batman v. superman looks like it could be better but I don't know if I will see it in theaters.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 01:16:31 PM »

So much this.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2015, 03:21:33 PM »
So If you weren't aware.....Batman Begins was released 10 years ago, and it spawned one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time.

I remember taking my little brother to see this and we were absolutely floored. This movie set the precedent of superhero movies, and continues to reverberate today. It changed Hollywood. Christopher Nolan didn't direct a realistic Batman. He created a grounded Batman, and a Batman that has resonated with all movie audiences. His neo-noir feel was complimented by Wally Pfister's incredible camera work. Christian Bale gave us the Batman we deserved. He is the best Batman because he understood the concept from that from the very beginning of Batman 75 years ago that Bruce Wayne is not Batman; Batman is Bruce Wayne. Bruce stop being Bruce the moment his parents were murdered in front of him.
His raspy voice was necessary to separate the fantastical with this grounded take. "Swear to me!" That still gives me chills! Those who say this Batman franchise was "humorless" obviously didn't pay attention to Bale's interaction with Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman.

The Dark Knight is the better movie. It really is the best superhero movie of all time. However, Batman Begins is the better BATMAN movie. It's Batman crouched on rooftops, leaping, flying, using gadgets from his belts, and more importantly, out of the 9 Batman films, including the Adam West movie and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (remember that great piece of animation was theatrically released), it's the only origin story that has ever been made about Batman, and it's perfect.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2015, 09:21:43 PM »
10 years?!  WOW!  Great trilogy...  I'm getting old. :coolio
Signature

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2015, 02:45:26 AM »
Just watched it again. I love the scene at the docks.  He strikes from the shadows and it just makes the criminals go absolutely superstitious. That's Batman, man

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2015, 03:58:41 AM »
"What is that?"

"Backup."

:metal

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2015, 06:09:22 AM »
This movie set the precedent of superhero movies, and continues to reverberate today.
I'm not sure I agree with this.  The most successful line of superhero films now, without question, are the Marvel films, and they are different in approach and tone than the Nolan Batman films.

This is a wonderful set of films, no question, and The Dark Knight is one of my favorite films ever.  But I don't see them as setting any precedent as far as further superhero films.  In fact, I view them as separate from other superhero films.

Just my two cents.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2015, 07:23:42 AM »
I see Batman Begins as a superhero movie, but not The Dark Knight. That's just an awesome crime drama. Not sure about where I'd put Rises on that spectrum though.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2015, 10:58:37 AM »
This movie set the precedent of superhero movies, and continues to reverberate today.
I'm not sure I agree with this.  The most successful line of superhero films now, without question, are the Marvel films, and they are different in approach and tone than the Nolan Batman films.

This is a wonderful set of films, no question, and The Dark Knight is one of my favorite films ever.  But I don't see them as setting any precedent as far as further superhero films.  In fact, I view them as separate from other superhero films.

Just my two cents.

Even Kevin Feige and Joss Whedon has chimed in and said how genre-defying those movies were. It did set the precedent. We wouldn't have the MCU and have it taken seriously by the general public without Batman Begins. The quality of superhero movies has vastly improved because of it.

I see Batman Begins as a superhero movie, but not The Dark Knight. That's just an awesome crime drama. Not sure about where I'd put Rises on that spectrum though.

I agree! Which is why I said BB is the better Batman movie than TDK. I think TDKR was the epic out of the three, as Nolan has cited movies like Lawrence of Arabia and Ben Hur when constructing this movie, but overall, it's a piece to tell a complete and whole story to close a trilogy.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 11:07:29 AM by Accelerando »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2015, 12:14:49 PM »
Even Kevin Feige and Joss Whedon has chimed in and said how genre-defying those movies were.
I agree that they were genre-defying.  But not genre-defining. 

If anything, the genre-defining films would be the Marvel films, with their interconnected shared universe, which even now is being copied by Warner Bros/DC, the owners of Batman.

It did set the precedent. We wouldn't have the MCU and have it taken seriously by the general public without Batman Begins. The quality of superhero movies has vastly improved because of it.
I disagree.  We have the MCU now because Marvel hit it out of the park with Iron Man, and planted the seeds of the shared universe therein (and having Robert Downey Jr cameo in The Incredible Hulk, of course).

Listen, I am not short-changing Nolan's Batman films in any way.  I love them.  But for me, I wouldn't give them this particular credit. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2015, 08:44:55 PM »
It was a game changer.   It was certainly the Batman that was in my imagination...which was why I found Batman '89 (and particularly Nicholson's Joker) so disappointing.   

The Dark Knight....to me...an old fart who has watched superhero films all his life (yes...even Daredevil)...is the greatest comic book movie of all time, and Heath Ledger's Joker is the greatest cinematic villain in history.    Not just comic book films.   As in, better than Darth Vader.   By miles and miles. 

Maybe it was just because THAT was the Joker of my imagination.    Ever have really high expectations for something, and then have them completely surpassed?   Ya, that was TDK for me.   And Ledger's Joker was the primary cause of that.    I could go on about this because it was just that big to me.   

Maybe I could sum up this way.    Remember "the pencil trick"?   I've never felt what I felt in that theater that night ever in my life before or since.   It's actually hard to describe, because it wasn't just me being amazed at what I just saw.   It was an instantaneous shift in the atmosphere of the entire theater.   It was as if the barometric pressure had spontaneously plummeted.   The mood of the entire audience was....instantly both enamored and incredibly uncomfortable.   It was just really strange.   It was as if no one was quite sure of what they had just seen.    It was a collective "mood shift" that was just....really odd.   But it left a big impression on me.     It was almost like if you went to go see Alice Cooper, and he actually took out a gun and shot himself...and no one was really sure if he had really done it or not.  There's that moment where everyone is chuckling, but weirded out, unsure, uncomfortable...   I still get chills just thinking about it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2015, 02:41:02 PM »
  As in, better than Darth Vader.   By miles and miles. 

Not hard since Darth Vader is one of the shittest movie villains ever. Like Panto bad. Not even remotely scary.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2015, 03:32:32 PM »

Not hard since Darth Vader is one of the shittest movie villains ever. Like Panto bad. Not even remotely scary.

I'm laughing because I was like, "Whaa???    .............oh, it's Kotowboy."    :lol

It's a red herring.   Vader is just "iconic" and that's why I used him.   [insert your ultimate baddie here and Ledger's Joker still owns him]
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »
ultimate badass=Hopkins as Hannibal.. don't even attempt a rebuttal lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2015, 05:01:33 AM »

Dear God.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 08:16:34 AM »
Right. ::). Darth Vader is a badass. As if. He's not even the best villain in Star Wars.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 08:49:11 AM »
The only acceptable contender would be the Emperor. And he's only cool because he is so mysterious and powerful and cunning. But he doesn't have nearly the depth and character arc that Vader does. Unless you're saying this because you don't even count Vader as a villain after the events of Return of the Jedi.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
Vader is definitely the best Star Wars villain and one of the most iconic villains of all time. I'm not sure if I would personally say he is my favorite, but it's really hard to argue with his iconic status. Maybe if you just don't live/breathe Star Wars, which I don't consider myself doing.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2015, 10:15:49 AM »
Right. ::). Darth Vader is a badass. As if. He's not even the best villain in Star Wars.
Jesus wept.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2015, 03:34:23 PM »
NEWSFLASH : SOME PEOPLE DONT INSTANTLY EJACULATE THE INSTANT YOU MENTION STAR WARS. . . . . .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2015, 03:35:27 PM »
Vader is definitely the best Star Wars villain and one of the most iconic villains of all time. I'm not sure if I would personally say he is my favorite, but it's really hard to argue with his iconic status. Maybe if you just don't live/breathe Star Wars, which I don't consider myself doing.

He's certainly iconic but is he actually SCARY as a VILLAIN ? I think not.

Khan Noonien Singh ? Oh hell yes.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2015, 03:54:44 PM »
I wouldn't call Vader scary, but that goes hand in hand with the tone of Star Wars. Star Wars is a family friendly adventure/space opera where the tone doesn't really allow for an extremely creepy/scary villain. Some villains are good because they are scary, Vader is good for other reasons.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »
A villain doesn't need to be scary or frightening to be good, though.  My favourite American comic book super villain is actually Magneto, and it has nothing to do with him being intimidating or scary or whatever (although the extent of his power is rather impressive).  It was because I loved his backstory and felt that within the context of X-Men-as-an-analogy-for-civil-rights, his ideology was an excellent, and very plausible, counterpoint to Xavier's.  I've met many a comic book fan who said if they were born a mutant, they would rather be on Magneto's side then the X-Men's.  I generally sympathize with civilians more then heroes in just about any work of fiction anyways because, much like Alice Cooper, I equate being the bad guy with being the outcast.  They are the characters that are not content to just play nice, obey the status quo of their worlds, and try to fit in with the cool kids.  More to the point, though, I like villains more then heroes because, when well done, they are the characters who really drive a good story.  A hero typically isn't the driving force behind a good plot, they simply react to the actions of the villain.  To take one of the best quotes on the matter-

That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2015, 12:18:23 AM »
Looks like Ben Affleck will direct and co-write the solo Batman flick for the DCU. I think he has he directing chops to make a great Batman flick. I'm very much anticipating in seeing his take in Batman V Superman

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2015, 05:20:50 AM »
I have the highest respect for Affleck as a director.  This is exciting news. 

Much more exciting, to me, than BvS.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2015, 05:39:56 AM »
Yeah. Affleck being Batman, and Affleck doing a stand-alone Batman is much more exciting than BvS, which looks like another mess of too many characters, directed by Hack Snyder. I'd be surprised if BvS doesn't end up on the same level as TASM2.

Still, excited about Affleck, and I will see BvS opening day.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2015, 02:03:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWzgGyAH6Y

new Batman V Superman trailer.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2015, 02:16:56 PM »
This trailer was all kinds of awesome, minus Lex Luthor who felt kinda cheesy

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
He reminded me a bit of Gene Hackman's Lex.