Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 129852 times)

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Wonder Gal
« Reply #840 on: March 24, 2017, 05:58:31 AM »
The biggest reason the DCEU has better scores in my mind is that they're connected. Superman has the same theme in MoS as in BvS, and the "emotional core" theme from BvS plays during a scene in Suicide Squad. The MCU has a revolving door of themes which may have been great if they stuck with it over time, but when the next movie comes it's all new and honestly pretty bland.

Having listened through most of the scores by themselves the DCEU ones are incredibly more memorable and unique. They also have a much larger feel. The MCU uses what feels like copy-paste scores, which is fine but never great.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #841 on: March 25, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #842 on: March 25, 2017, 01:58:15 PM »
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeh.

I think I'm out of the superhero hype. Might be a good boring, lazy day flick to catch a year or two from now but other than that. *shrug*

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #843 on: March 25, 2017, 02:45:00 PM »
I felt the same with this trailer as I did with the Wonder Woman trailers, a big "OK". I don't see either films breaking the trend and being a 90% rotten tomatoes that people really like.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: March 25, 2017, 02:52:44 PM »

I think I'm out of the superhero hype. Might be a good boring, lazy day flick to catch a year or two from now but other than that. *shrug*

BLEH.

Looks as bland and green-screened as every other DCEU movie so far. Yuk Yuk Yuk. And that one character who they're obviously hoping will do iron man business.

It's like DC have simultaneously learned nothing from all the negativity and are also trying to copy all the good ideas MARVEL are doing - yet getting it so, so wrong.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #845 on: March 25, 2017, 03:01:06 PM »
I know special effects aren't 100% done but it looks like a video game. Just like BvS did and just like MoS did. I know these movies are full of CGI but somehow the DC ones end up looking much more fake than many of the other ones.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: March 25, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »
Plus that same blue filter in every film.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #847 on: March 25, 2017, 06:01:43 PM »
Looks okay.

I still am mostly interested in The Flash, though the way they're tackling his speed wasn't as interesting as other speedsters have been shown.

The humor was nice, and to me, Aquaman stole the trailer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #848 on: March 26, 2017, 02:12:30 AM »

BLEH.

Looks as bland and green-screened as every other DCEU movie so far. Yuk Yuk Yuk. And that one character who they're obviously hoping will do iron man business.

It's like DC have simultaneously learned nothing from all the negativity and are also trying to copy all the good ideas MARVEL are doing - yet getting it so, so wrong.

Dude, Warner Bros is not trying to copy anything that Marvel Studios has done. If that was the case, we'd have Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg movies before Justice League comes out, and there'd be an over-arching plot throughout these films  and phases that led to a big movie ala Infinity Wars. Warner Bros never said there was going to be a huge story arc with their DC Universe.

So based on both the comic-con and this teaser trailer, I think this looks solid. Again, Im not bothered by the tone or how animated the CGI looks (Avengers has a lot of cartoony CGI going on too btw). It's not even about if it's dark or if its light. It's about making a comprehensible story. Everything about the DCEU has been spot on except storytelling and editing. The problem with Snyder is that he has these ideas and places them in the movie like a push pin but never takes the time flesh them out, and sometimes there's just TOO many ideas going on. The Martha moment in BvS should have had more weight to it.

The Best thing to take away from this trailer is that we are going to get some of that dry Bruce Wayne humor. Its something only the Justice League animated show really captured perfectly (and by the Justice League animated series, I mean the Bruce Timm show from the early 2000s.) The "Maybe temporary" line at the end of this trailer was delivered perfectly. That makes this Batman fan really happy. 

To add a note about the superhero scores: Hans Zimmer's Man of Steel score and his Superman theme is by far superior than anything that both DC and Marvel has put out. It's one of the best things about that movie. I'm agree with BlackInk's statements that the MCU scores feels copy and pastey.

All that being said, i'll be there opening day for every DC movie (and Marvel), whether if it's good or bad. I'd be remiss if I didn't say I'm estatic that im alive where Captain America and Wonder Woman movies are being made.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #849 on: March 26, 2017, 05:46:52 AM »
Affleck as Batman is great and was a big highlight of the trailer for me, again my concerns are more with story and so on.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: March 26, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
Who came first Cyborg or Iron man ?

Because from that trailer it looks like the only reason Cyborg is there is so they can have their own Iron Man character...

Offline Adami

« Reply #851 on: March 26, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »

Because from that trailer it looks like the only reason Cyborg is there is so they can have their own Iron Man character...

Iron Man, by almost 20 years.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: March 26, 2017, 01:07:51 PM »
Good :p

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #853 on: March 26, 2017, 01:21:12 PM »
So it's like The Kinks = Iron Man and Oasis = Cyborg.  :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #854 on: March 26, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
New Justice League trailer looks okay!

BLEH.

DC is not trying to copy Marvel, they are trying to scramble anything together, that might have a chance of competing with the MCU.

Let's hope that they have learned from their mistakes, and that they actually have a game plan for the future.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #855 on: March 26, 2017, 01:31:18 PM »

No. Cyborg has become a very popular character in the DC comics the past 15 years, and because of how comic book readers embraced and love the character, he became a full time JL member. That's why he's in the movie because they are mainly basing this off the current JL roster.

Again, Warner Bros are not trying to copy Marvel.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #856 on: March 26, 2017, 03:36:58 PM »
Also Cyborg doesn't seem very Iron Man-like. Whereas another DC character, Atom, seems to be just a cross between Iron Man and Ant-Man.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #857 on: March 26, 2017, 03:37:41 PM »
Also Cyborg doesn't seem very Iron Man-like. Whereas another DC character, Atom, seems to be just a cross between Iron Man and Ant-Man.

Yea, not form a personality stand point (at least from the CW shows) but tech wise? Nearly identical.

He also came before either Iron Man or Ant-Man, though originally he bore no real resemblance to Iron Man. Pretty identical to Ant-Man though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #858 on: April 11, 2017, 04:54:02 PM »
This was just released. This is a picture of a younger and 30 lbs leaner Cavill in the Christopher Reeve outfit for his screen test for Man of Steel

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #859 on: April 12, 2017, 08:24:35 PM »
Dolph Lundgren is going to play King Nereus in AQUAMAN!!!! Nereus is a newer villain that came out of the New 52 Aquaman lore but he's become a more popular character in the Aquaman comics, and has made few appearances in JL and Wonder Woman comics as well!

Dolph as King Nereus. Patrick Wilson as Ocean Master. And i'm counting on Yahya Abdul-Mateen II to have a more prominent role in the DCEU as Black Manta, especially if they eventually go the Legion of Doom route.

Im just jazzed about everything that's going on with Aquaman!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #860 on: May 19, 2017, 01:24:29 PM »
First reactions to Wonder Woman from critics are extremely positive so far.

Trying not to get my hopes up!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #861 on: May 19, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »
Unlike BVS, these early reactions are from critics and NOT fanboys. I had hopes up with the fan reactions myself. However, the critics destroyed BVS and Suicide Squad, and gave meh reviews to Man of Steel. The fact WW is getting such glorifying praise two weeks before release puts me at ease...whereas the previous films it was the day before and it was just a mountain of rage.

Offline Adami

« Reply #862 on: May 19, 2017, 11:32:21 PM »
Honestly, WW just needs to be pretty good to be getting the praise it's getting.

It's like if you had a bunch of siblings who dropped out of highschool and became drug addicts. If you bring home a B on your report card, you're going to get "MY BOY'S A GENIUS!" remarks.

The most I've seen is that it was good, better than the other DCEU stuff (not too hard) and was often compared to Captain America: First Avenger, which was also...good, not great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #863 on: May 22, 2017, 05:06:32 PM »
Awful news from the Snyder family

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

The filmmaker's daughter died by suicide in March, prompting him to take a break from work and hire Joss Whedon to finish the Warner Bros. superhero pic: "I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me."

Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter he is stepping away from Justice League, Warner Bros.’ all-star DC Comics superhero mega-movie that is in postproduction, in order to deal with the sudden death of his daughter. Snyder's wife, Deborah Snyder, who is a producer on Justice League, also is taking a break to focus on the healing of their family.

Stepping in to shepherd the movie through post and the shooting of some additional scenes will be Joss Whedon, the Avengers filmmaker and creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. With Whedon's help, the movie is still on track for its Nov. 17 release date.

Snyder’s daughter, Autumn Snyder, died by suicide in March at age 20. Her death has been kept private, with only a small inner circle aware of what happened, even as the movie was put on a two-week break for the Snyders to deal with the immediate effects of the tragedy. Zack Snyder says he initially was eager to return to the film, which stars Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller.

“In my mind, I thought it was a cathartic thing to go back to work, to just bury myself and see if that was way through it,” says an emotional Snyder in an interview Monday in his office on the Warner Bros. lot, with Deborah sitting by his side. “The demands of this job are pretty intense. It is all-consuming. And in the last two months, I’ve come to the realization … I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me. They are all having a hard time. I’m having a hard time.”

My deepest condolences to the Snyder family. No parent should have to go through this. No parent should bury their own child.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #864 on: May 23, 2017, 01:01:05 AM »
That's just terrible  :-[

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #865 on: May 23, 2017, 01:57:09 AM »
Awful.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Adami

« Reply #866 on: May 23, 2017, 01:58:26 AM »
Man, that is horrible.

My hopes for him and his family.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PB1

« Reply #867 on: May 23, 2017, 02:08:50 PM »
it is hilarious how terrible the DC cinematic universe has been so far. every film has been a critical and commercial flop. if wonderwoman and justice league bomb (and they likely will), dc should just cancel the cinematic universe altogether

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: May 23, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »
Man of Steel and Batman V Superman were big box office hits.

But I agree they were terrible.

..and that Dawn of Justice sounds like the latest Steven Seagal straight to DVD movie.

Offline PB1

« Reply #869 on: May 24, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
Man of Steel was a moderate financial success, but batman vs superman was definitely a box office disappointment.

Suicide Squad was unwatchable.

I don't have high hopes for Wonder Woman or Justice League. DC is a joke compared to Marvel.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: May 24, 2017, 12:53:46 PM »
Man of Steel was a moderate financial success, but batman vs superman was definitely a box office disappointment.

Man of Steel : Production Budget: $225 million : Box Office Gross : Worldwide:    $668,045,518

" Moderate Success "

BatMan V SuperMan : Production Budget: $250 million : Box Office Gross : Worldwide:    $873,260,194   

" Box Office Disappointment "

I don't even like the films but they were not box office failures by any means.

Offline PB1

« Reply #871 on: May 24, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »
Following a strong debut that set new box office records, the film experienced a historic drop in its second weekend and never recovered. Despite turning a profit, it was deemed a box office disappointment and received generally unfavorable reviews from critics for its tone, screenplay and pacing, though some praised the visual style and acting performances.

"overall, BvS successfully relaunched DC's cinematic universe, but they are nowhere near Disney/Marvel in terms of critical reception and box office prowess. One can only hope that bigger and better is still on the way."[221] The film needed to reach $800 million in revenue at the box office to "recoup its investment" according to financial analysts.[222][223][172] Despite surpassing this amount, it was considered "a disappointment" for failing to reach $1 billion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: May 24, 2017, 01:12:18 PM »
Making $800m and " shit we wanted a billion dollar movie " aren't the same thing.

If DC *wanted* BVS to make $2bn then $1.5bn would be a disappointment.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #873 on: May 24, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »
I'm with Kotowboy on this. Critically it wasn't well received, but it made a shit ton of money. It absolutely was not a flop.

Offline Adami

« Reply #874 on: May 24, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »
Disappointment doesn't mean flop or failure.

But Iron Man 3 made a lot more money than Batman v Superman.

That has to be disappointing to DC.
fanticide.bandcamp.com