Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 130932 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The DC Movies Thread v BVS (***SPOILERS****)
« Reply #595 on: June 21, 2016, 02:43:17 PM »
I'm curious about how the box office numbers will look with something like Justice League. I guess Suicide Squad will have a lot to say, does Wonder Woman come out before as well? Because we all thought BvS would make a billion easily and look at how that turned out. And going into JL, there's another movie with mixed reviews on top of the already shaky reviewed Man of Steel.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #596 on: June 21, 2016, 02:55:40 PM »
More plot info, but vague. The League will be looking for the three Motherboxes. One we already know of, and it's within Cyborg. The other two are with the Atlanteans and the Amazonians, which is where I suspect Ocean Master and Ares will come into play

Willem Dafoe's character has been announced! He'll be playing Vulko, who is a character from the Aquaman universe.

We'll see Batman and Flash wearing a few different suits. I guess when we first see Flash, it's something he made himself, then we'll get the suit that we all love and know later in the film

Junkie XL will be scoring the film. He worked with Hans Zimmer for the Dawn of Justice score. I didnt care for the score and it was a letdown compared to Man Of Steel's EXCELLENT compostion. However, Junxie XL scored Mad Max: Fury Road, which was both a great movie and soundtrack

I'm curious about how the box office numbers will look with something like Justice League. I guess Suicide Squad will have a lot to say, does Wonder Woman come out before as well? Because we all thought BvS would make a billion easily and look at how that turned out. And going into JL, there's another movie with mixed reviews on top of the already shaky reviewed Man of Steel.

It has made 871million, which is an incredible amount for any movie. Just because it didnt hit a billion doesnt mean it wasnt a box office hit. It would have made a billion if the film warranted repeated viewings by the general public, which it didn't. However, if JL gets positive reviews, im sure it will hit a billion.

EDIT: Only 6 superhero films have made it past a billion

The Avengers
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man 3
The Dark Knight Rises
Captain America: Civil War
Thr Dark Knight
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:00:43 PM by Accelerando »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #597 on: June 22, 2016, 01:04:43 AM »
I think Snyder and company have earned another chance...

I just read the Collider set visit report, and it seems like they really are responding to the criticisms people had for BvS. It also seems that Ben Affleck is pushing his Batman movie forward, so they can have as good of script as possible.

I also love that they are adding more humor into DCCU. That was something that was clearly missing from BvS. The Dark Knight, which was celebrated for it's dark tone still has a lot of humor in it. Michael Caine and Christian Bale had some great banter in that movie.

Most things about the report are pretty encouraging, and i remain optimistic for Justice League.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #598 on: June 22, 2016, 01:08:11 AM »
Junkie XL also scored Deadpool. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #599 on: June 22, 2016, 07:51:33 AM »
Willem Dafoe is always welcome, under any circumstances.  That is already a step in the right direction.

The tone has apparently been changed for this film, as well.  Good thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #600 on: July 11, 2016, 11:52:27 AM »
I'm wicked late to this thread. However, I just saw BvS "Extended edition" and I really liked it. I enjoyed it much more than The Dark Knight Rises and BA is a better batman than CB. The Batman fighting sequences were fantastic. Batman's change of heart towards Superman was well executed by both actors in the fight scene. To me it read like Batman was seeing Superman's humanity for the first time and not just as an alien that's destroying the world around him. The overall tone of the picture and beauty of the cinematography fit well together. I thought Lex's personality shift to eccentric maniac actually worked well. I thought Doomsday was cool, but would have still liked to see him maybe in the next film with some foreshadowing at the end of this movie (similar to the comics "Doomsday is coming").

I'm surprised by how many people dislike this movie. It's vastly different than Marvel's beloved superhero universe, but I wouldn't say it's worse. I don't even think you can compare this movie to Marvel... I'll use the recent Deadpool as an example. They have as much in common as heavy metal and ska do. While Deadpool is like a character study of a colorful superhero, BvS is shot mostly from a wider perspective that doesn't concentrate as much on developing the characters (which to me isn't detrimental to it). I really liked both movies.

-Tof

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #601 on: July 12, 2016, 02:26:58 AM »
The extended edition was better, but only really bumped the movie up from a 6/10 to a 7 or 7.5/10 for me. Some of the major problems were still in the movie, like even though they made the part in Africa better, that whole subplot still felt unnecessary and boring. Lex Luthor was still cringeworthy and the whole "Martha" -"WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!" -"That's his mommy's name" sequence was still there. Or the fact that Lex Luthor created icons for all the superheroes he had been keeping tabs on. A lot of those stupid problems were still featured, but at least this cut had a better flow and it didn't feel as choppy.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #602 on: July 15, 2016, 01:57:53 PM »
Entertainment Weekly has released new production images for Wonder Woman!

https://www.ew.com/gallery/wonder-woman-exclusive-images/2666638_gal-gadot-wonder-woman

I am completely infatuated with Gal Gadot  :heart

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The DC Movies Thread v Squad Goals
« Reply #603 on: July 15, 2016, 02:44:15 PM »
Looking good! I think I'm looking forward to most of the new DC movies despite really not liking BvS.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #604 on: July 15, 2016, 04:48:09 PM »
Just watched Batman vs Superman, I'll have to think about it but I'm kinda "meh" at the moment.

The motivations of the characters are not clear, the whole "Superheroes do questionable stuff and they argue with each other" thing was done way more clearly in Captain America Civil War... now I'm not even sure why Batman was pissed off at Superman, he was still holding a grudge from the destruction of the ending of Man of Steel (depicted at the beginning)? Also the frame job from Lex Luthor was very poor, it was clear soon enough that the bomb was in the wheelchair and Superman was helping survivors, he ran away because I guess the plot needed him to be framed.

The first hour was a very slow tedium, and when finally the fight happened... it was orchestrated by Lex Luthor and it all ended with the Martha thing. Even when there was the moment for that famous quote from the trailer, "Tell me... do you bleed?" it felt kinda bland, it's like they first thought of a catchy phrase that Batman would say to Superman so that they could put it in the trailer, and then they had to shoehorn it in somehow.

Not a terrible movie but I expected it to be way more enjoyable than it actually was.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #605 on: July 15, 2016, 04:50:45 PM »
I get the flaws but it's very clear why Batman is pissed off at Superman. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #606 on: July 15, 2016, 04:54:59 PM »
Yea, I was pretty sold on why Batman was anti-supes. However, they didn't handle it like Batman would.

Batman would have developed a well constructed plan to take down Superman, but then do everything to assess the situation and make sure it wasn't necessary and keep it on the back burner, just in case. They lost the actual Batman character when he said something like "If there's even a 1% chance he is our enemy then we have to treat it as an absolute certainty". I'm sorry is this George W. Bush under the mask? No. It's a very very smart man who would never say something so stupid about who is obviously a hero. But yea, Batman wouldn't have tried to kill Superman unless he truly felt he had no other options.

Superman's motivation on the other hand was horrible. "He's a vigilante and must be taken down! By me....the guy who destroyed an entire city trying to be a vigilante and who only started complying with the authorities after the fact."

And yea, every single thing Lex did was dumb. I felt like someone did a lot of coke and speed and maybe meth and wrote what they figured was a genius plan and no went back and double checked it after sobering up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: July 15, 2016, 04:59:03 PM »
I love your Lexus analogy!!

Well the Batman plan was based off the Frank Miller style. I had no problem with that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

« Reply #608 on: July 15, 2016, 05:00:18 PM »
I love your Lexus analogy!!

Well the Batman plan was based off the Frank Miller style. I had no problem with that.

Yea, even though I still don't see Batman doing it the way he did, it was still pretty close and reasonable in the narrative.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: July 15, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »
Maybe the reigns not in Zach Snyder's hand now will help.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #610 on: July 15, 2016, 05:53:19 PM »
Yes, I feel like we're going to get better storytelling now that Geoff Johns is the man behind this universe.

Apparently Superman's storyline is better is the Ultimate Edition. Also, that the Ultimate Edition is better is general. I know you can download it digitally, but i'll wait for the blu ray to come out next week.

Offline Adami

« Reply #611 on: July 15, 2016, 05:58:58 PM »
Yes, I feel like we're going to get better storytelling now that Geoff Johns is the man behind this universe.

Apparently Superman's storyline is better is the Ultimate Edition. Also, that the Ultimate Edition is better is general. I know you can download it digitally, but i'll wait for the blu ray to come out next week.

Yea, I haven't seen it yet (waiting for blu ray release) but I've heard they expand on it a bit. Even with those new details, I still doing buy it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #612 on: July 16, 2016, 03:13:37 AM »
It's better for sure, but the negative side is that you have another 30 minutes and the amount of time you get to see Batman/Superman VS how long the movie is is even more messed up.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #613 on: July 16, 2016, 04:09:28 AM »
One thing I missed is a quote so famous that even I who didn't read the comics know it's there, when Batman taunts Superman with something along the lines of "I want you to remember, my hand at your throat, the one man that beat you". If done well if would have been great on screen.

Also, a minor nitpicking, but something that made me say "what???" during the movie... when there's the party at Lex Luthor's mansion and Bruce talks with Clark Kent, Lex Luthor shows up and he's all "wow, Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne meeting each other".

.....why??? Bruce Wayne, ok, he's a famous billionaire. But Clark Kent? did I miss the part in which he became famous because of a scoop or something? why the meeting of a famous billionaire and a random young journalist would be something to remark about, given that the only exceptional thing about it is the real world explanation that Superman is meeting Batman while both they're using their public mask?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: July 16, 2016, 05:06:44 AM »
Um, he knows who they are.  Since he has details on the other meta's he's been following them.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #615 on: July 16, 2016, 05:43:10 AM »
I rewatched the scene, Lex appears when they're talking and goes "Boys? ha! Bruce Wayne meets Clark Kent. I love it! I love bringing people together!"

So yeah, probably he was just being a good guest introducing people. Still, what's to be excited about a meeting between a young journalist and a famous billionaire? if they were both famous in their own way it would be something to be proud of as a guest, "Two important people meet at my house". I feel odd the need to remark the meeting since the only thing really remarkable about it is that we, the audience, know it's Batman meeting Superman.

Not a big deal in the overall context of the movie, it was just a minor thing that puzzled me, that's all.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #616 on: July 19, 2016, 08:48:43 PM »
Just finished watching the ultimate edition of Dawn of Justice, and it is a better film. I think you didn't like it in the first place, it may not change your mind. However, the additional 30 minutes make the difference by fleshing out certain aspects of the film. Superman's part in this extended edition showcases his concern with Batman's idea of justice, and you see him being an investigative reporter. There's a moment that I won't spoil for those who are actually anticipating watching this, but it makes the moment the Superman first meets Batman more weighted and meaningful. The Africa scene, which i didn't care for like most people, does get expanded on why that scene is relevant.

Basically this version of this movie did for me what the extended version of Watchmen did. I enjoyed the movie much more. BVS is still a mess of subplots, but the extended version for me knocked the movie from a 5/10 to a 6.5/10.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #617 on: July 21, 2016, 12:30:00 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out what warranted a rated R rating for the Ultimate Edition of BVS. The additional violence was the same vein of what we saw in the PG-13 theatrical cut.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #618 on: July 21, 2016, 08:38:30 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out what warranted a rated R rating for the Ultimate Edition of BVS. The additional violence was the same vein of what we saw in the PG-13 theatrical cut.

I noticed some blood splatter but it was really minor and far from something that would warrant an R-rating IMO. Maybe one or two curse words? I don't even remember.

Online faizoff

« Reply #619 on: July 21, 2016, 10:28:12 PM »
Just finished watching the ultimate edition of Dawn of Justice, and it is a better film. I think you didn't like it in the first place, it may not change your mind. However, the additional 30 minutes make the difference by fleshing out certain aspects of the film. Superman's part in this extended edition showcases his concern with Batman's idea of justice, and you see him being an investigative reporter. There's a moment that I won't spoil for those who are actually anticipating watching this, but it makes the moment the Superman first meets Batman more weighted and meaningful. The Africa scene, which i didn't care for like most people, does get expanded on why that scene is relevant.

Basically this version of this movie did for me what the extended version of Watchmen did. I enjoyed the movie much more. BVS is still a mess of subplots, but the extended version for me knocked the movie from a 5/10 to a 6.5/10.

I have the same exact thoughts only for me the movie went from a 7/10 to 8/10 after watching the ultimate cut.
The R rating is probably for the more intense fights scenes with Batman. It's certainly more visceral and brash.
I think they should've cut down the subplots, the wasp scene as cool as it was I think really does nothing for the movie. Like the honest trailer mentions they crammed some 6 story lines into this movie which really didn't help.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #620 on: July 23, 2016, 01:26:08 AM »
 :heart :heart :heart Official teaser poster for Wonder Woman  :heart :heart :heart

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #621 on: July 23, 2016, 01:50:36 PM »
Wonder Woman Comic Con Trailer is here! And boy is it great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGoQhFb4NM

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #622 on: July 23, 2016, 02:17:58 PM »
And also our first look at the Justice League

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gglkYMGRYlE

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: July 23, 2016, 02:24:26 PM »
Very, very cool.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: July 23, 2016, 02:31:01 PM »
I have a question.

Does Aquaman drink alcohol out of a bottle in the comics or did Zack Snyder shove that in because dark and edgy ?

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #625 on: July 23, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »
You mean trying to decide to show allegiance to the water dwelling Atlanteans or to your human roots without pissing off someone from either side won't render you to drinking, Kotowboy?  :lol

The only thing I have concerns of is Bruce Wayne recruiting without the cowl on. That's just me being a Batman fan...in the comics, that would never happen. It could work in the movie...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: July 23, 2016, 02:42:39 PM »
You mean trying to decide to show allegiance to the water dwelling Atlanteans or to your human roots without pissing off someone from either side won't render you to drinking, Kotowboy?  :lol

I think in that instance. I may have a hand shandy. :zydar:

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #627 on: July 23, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »
Official image complimented with a Snyder lens flare

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: July 23, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »
NO WYA I THOUGHT JAR JAR ABRAHAMS INVENTED THE LENS FLARE WTFFFFFFFFFFFF

Offline Adami

« Reply #629 on: July 23, 2016, 04:00:20 PM »
Wonder Woman Comic Con Trailer is here! And boy is it great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGoQhFb4NM

That looked....okay. Hm. The trailer didn't do a lot for me, felt a bit Snydery with all the slo mo and blah humor, but I still have high hopes for the movie itself.

And the Justice League thing looked cool. Confirmed that the person I'm most excited for is The Flash.
fanticide.bandcamp.com