Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 130898 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The DC Movies Thread v BVS (***SPOILERS****)
« Reply #560 on: May 05, 2016, 04:32:54 AM »
Yeah he needs to *not* direct Affleck's solo Batman movie.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #561 on: May 05, 2016, 06:09:21 AM »
The V in Batman V Superman clearly stands for Violence.

There was a report that Robin was originally in BVS and he too was a murdering psychopath.

:yeahright FFS.

Why not have a scene where Superman Pisses on the grave of Christopher Reeve ?

You are a DC drama quenn. :lol

Marvel are doing it so much better right now.

Can't argue at all.  It's just not as bad as others are saying.

I don't have as much of a problem with Snyder's direction. It's not perfect, and it can be a bit wonky at times, but Im overall fine with it. I just want a consistently good story in a DC movie. Not an "okay" one with better moments.

I thought I read Affleck is directing the Batman movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #562 on: May 05, 2016, 06:12:54 AM »
I don't have as much of a problem with Snyder's direction. It's not perfect, and it can be a bit wonky at times, but Im overall fine with it. I just want a consistently good story in a DC movie. Not an "okay" one with better moments.

I thought I read Affleck is directing the Batman movie.
[/quote]

Yeah, heard that too. Affleck is a great director, so I'm sure he'll do a good job with that. I just hope the writing's on point too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: May 05, 2016, 06:16:29 AM »
Yup.  The writing needs to be stronger for sure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #564 on: May 11, 2016, 04:46:33 PM »
Wonder Woman wrapped production yesterday! I'm very excited for this movie, as Gal Gadot showed she was a wonderful Wonder Woman in BVS, and Patty Jenkins is a proven director. I like Chris Pine the role of Steve Trevor too. Hopefully this film and Suicide Squad can get the DCEU out of the hole Snyder put the series in.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #565 on: May 11, 2016, 06:40:19 PM »
Wonder Woman wrapped production yesterday! I'm very excited for this movie, as Gal Gadot showed she was a wonderful Wonder Woman in BVS, and Patty Jenkins is a proven director. I like Chris Pine the role of Steve Trevor too. Hopefully this film and Suicide Squad can get the DCEU out of the hole Snyder put the series in.

Yea, Gal alone made me pretty excited for a WW movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #566 on: May 12, 2016, 08:32:50 AM »
As with all of the other previous non-Nolan-directed DC films, I hope it doesn't completely suck.

That's as much as I can hope for.

The thing that has me worried is the World War I setting.  I don't get it from the outset.  The character originated in WWII, so unless this is based on some change in the comics that was done in the last 15 years (when I haven't been a very active comics buyer), it seems like it could be the kind of arbitrary change that DC has been willing to make with its characters over the years, and that is slightly troubling.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #567 on: May 12, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »
I've always wondered why they made that change too, but quite honestly, as long as I get a cohesive, engaging story, which Patty Jenkins usually delivers, with Wonder Woman kicking ass (I've always cited her as the best fighter in the Justice League), then i'll be happy. There have been great comic book movies that weren't true to the comic storylines, like X2: United and Spider-Man 2. I havent read any of the New 52 stuff other than learning about the new lore so I cant justify the WWI setting other than "The First Avenger was set in WWII, let's see if its plausable to set Wonder Woman in WWI."

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #568 on: May 12, 2016, 03:29:14 PM »
Also, I have decided Patrick Wilburn should be Shazam. How hilarious would it be to see him act like a 10 year old in a 40 year old body :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #569 on: May 13, 2016, 06:56:41 AM »
I have very little interest in Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman but will probably end up seeing both at the cinema because I'm a sucker and I like the genre.

Wonder Woman was fine in BvS, but Gal Gadot is not a leading woman and the few lines she had were a bit wooden. I think her in this leading role could end up being a disaster, but it depends. Maybe if they try to go about it like the early Arnold Schwarzenegger films, give her as little dialogue as possible and just have her hit people with a sword and it could turn out great.

But MoS/BvS has really killed my hope for this universe being great. They really need a homerun.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: May 13, 2016, 07:25:56 AM »
You're the first to say that about Gal, Jimmy.  Most say she's the best part in BvS.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #571 on: May 13, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »
Interesting article, and I figure this is as good a thread as any to put it in.

https://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/if-nerds-won-the-war-for-pop-culture-then-why-are-they-so-angry-all-the-time
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #572 on: May 13, 2016, 08:24:31 AM »
You're the first to say that about Gal, Jimmy.  Most say she's the best part in BvS.

Most people say Batman was the best part in BvS. :P I've actually heard a few critics point out her being a bit stiff on the line delivery. Don't get me wrong, I liked her in BvS, but having a 5 minute cameo vs carrying the movie on your shoulders is a big difference.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #573 on: May 13, 2016, 08:34:55 AM »
I havent read any of the New 52 stuff other than learning about the new lore so I cant justify the WWI setting other than "The First Avenger was set in WWII, let's see if its plausable to set Wonder Woman in WWI."
Yeah, but Marvel was being true to the character by putting Cap's origin in WWII.  That's the way he has always been portrayed.  They were faithful to the character (even if they change/update a few details).  And they always have been, unlike pretty much every other superhero-making studio out there. It's like they don't trust the character, so they feel like they have to fuck with it to make it more successful. 

Marvel has been so successful precisely BECAUSE they trust the characters.

Fox recently had a huge hit with Deadpool because they finally trusted the character.  Hopefully they learn that lesson going forward in the X-Universe.  But I'm not sure that WB has learned that yet for their DC films.  We'll see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: May 13, 2016, 08:40:19 AM »

Most people say Batman was the best part in BvS. :P I've actually heard a few critics point out her being a bit stiff on the line delivery. Don't get me wrong, I liked her in BvS, but having a 5 minute cameo vs carrying the movie on your shoulders is a big difference.

Man, not from any that I read.  No big whoop but for most, they liked her.  We'll see I guess.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #575 on: May 20, 2016, 06:29:05 AM »
I'm a little late, but I just saw the 3rd Suicide Squad trailer.     I'm not nearly as excited to see this movie as I once was.   

When I saw the first "I Started a Joke" trailer, I thought this movie would be amazing.   Now, after hearing about the reshoots (to make it more funny and light-hearted and less dark) and seeing this...I'm not so sure. 

It's not that I'm this big "it has to be dark and gritty" guy.  But it depends on the movie.   Superman shouldn't be dark, but The Suicide Squad should.   Even when DC starts to get it right, they change their minds and screw up the movie before it's even out.  :mehlin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #576 on: May 20, 2016, 07:02:45 AM »
That's not really the reason for the reshoots.  They are just reshoots, there is no real problem.  Reshoots are done on lots of big budget films.  It doesn't mean they are having to fix major problems in the film.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #577 on: May 20, 2016, 07:43:48 AM »
 I'm just going off the multiple reports that I heard that after Batman versus Superman got bad reviews for being "too dark" they decided that they would insert more jokes in suicide squad to make it more lighthearted.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: May 20, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »
I thought that was reported as a fabrication?  Am I wrong Hef?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #579 on: May 20, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »
Nope, you're correct king. That was all just made up. Unfortunately the fleeting nature of social media means that a lot of people will have done what jammindude did and not realised.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #580 on: May 20, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »
Apologies. I can't keep up with EVERY report. But I thank you for the correction.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #581 on: June 20, 2016, 10:54:12 AM »
Interesting reports coming out that the villain(s) for Justice League will be Ocean Master and Ares, meaning we're gonna get some Atlantean/Amazon battle action.

I like the idea of these two being the villains, and it's an interesting way to introduce Aquaman into the equation. The only problem is Dawn of Justice and its wasted character choices such as The Death of Superman storyline. If it were to follow the comics, then Superman's body was stolen from his grave by Cadmus labs to create the Supermen, which includes Superman's clone, Superboy.

But hey, maybe they found a clever way to bring back Superman for JL, because I doubt we're gonna see him in Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #582 on: June 20, 2016, 11:18:07 AM »
Interesting reports coming out that the villain(s) for Justice League will be Ocean Master and Ares
I hope not.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #583 on: June 20, 2016, 07:20:58 PM »
Interesting reports coming out that the villain(s) for Justice League will be Ocean Master and Ares
I hope not.

Why? Both are important villains. Having Ocean Master will only set up Black Manta for the Aquaman film

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #584 on: June 21, 2016, 06:38:30 AM »
The general public doesn't know who either of those people are. They have no name recognition.  Not sure how that makes them "important" villains.

Ocean Master is an Aquaman villain, and Aquaman is practically a laughing stock.  No one takes him seriously (which I hope changes after his solo film).

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: June 21, 2016, 07:45:05 AM »
The general public doesn't know who either of those people are. They have no name recognition.  Not sure how that makes them "important" villains.

Ocean Master is an Aquaman villain, and Aquaman is practically a laughing stock.  No one takes him seriously (which I hope changes after his solo film).

Well, anyone who has been exposed to Greek mythology should be familiar with Ares.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #586 on: June 21, 2016, 08:15:29 AM »
"Should be", yes.  As a character from mythology.

As a super-villain, it might be a little weird.

It would work for me personally, I am familiar with both characters.  I'm just talking about the general public, in whom I have no confidence.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #587 on: June 21, 2016, 10:43:55 AM »
I will argue that the MCU has introduced lesserknown villains and heroes, and the general public has been receptive. I think they'll be receptive to Ocean Master and Ares.

As of today, they may be in the film, but they wont be the main villians. WB just dropped a ton of news regarding Justicr League!

The Geoff Johns era of the DC Universe has begun! Just look at that logo! It really evokes classic Justice League. None of that serious Snyder lens flares in the title.

Speaking of tone, it has been said before, but the film will be "lighter and inclusive." I guess that's fine, but the serious tone never bothered me. It was the storytelling. However, aeeing that this is a team up film, it would make sense.

Official synopsis:
Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.

Steppenwolf will be the main villain, who was teased in a deleted scene with Lex Luthor in Dawn of Justice. Steppenwolf will also lead the Parademons we saw in Batman's Knightmare sequence.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #588 on: June 21, 2016, 10:47:38 AM »
The seriousness and "grit" is what gave the DCU its own personality in my opinion. And yeah agree, it was the storytelling itself, not the tone, that has been the problem so far. So suddenly making it "lighter" has me rolling my eyes a bit, but I'm sure it'll be fine in the end.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #589 on: June 21, 2016, 11:25:42 AM »
I will argue that the MCU has introduced lesserknown villains and heroes, and the general public has been receptive.
They have, because Marvel has generally put out, well, good films, not the clusterfuck that was BvS.  They can put out whatever they want now and get the benefit of the doubt.  I don't think DC has earned that yet.

I just feel that on the heels of BvS, they should come back with a bigger name villain to unite these guys.  Steppenwolf seems like an odd choice. I hope it's good, and I wish them luck.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: June 21, 2016, 11:32:24 AM »
Like Hef said, Marvel has been able to take chances and use lesser known characters because they make good movies. Even the lowest rated films like Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 are still certified fresh by both audiences and critics. DC on the other hand has put out 2 films with very mixed reception, and they need a hit. Not just a "decent" movie, they need a home run.

Personally I think Suicide Squad looks terrible, and while Zack Snyder's involvement takes a lot out of my excitement for Justice League, I'm still more excited for it because Affleck was great as Batman.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #591 on: June 21, 2016, 12:56:38 PM »
I actually think that Suicide Squad looks pretty cool.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #592 on: June 21, 2016, 12:58:18 PM »
I actually think that Suicide Squad looks pretty cool.

Totally agree. Actually looks good to the point that if Batman weren't in it, I'd assume it wasn't at all related to BvS.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: June 21, 2016, 01:58:18 PM »
And when they say "lighter and inclusive" I assume them leaning towards the way Marvel does their films.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #594 on: June 21, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
I hope in that case it's in the veign of the Bruce Timm Justice League show from the early 2000's. It was it was a serious show with interesting and philosophical concepts but the "fun" of MCU