Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128737 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The DC Movies Thread v BVS (***SPOILERS****)
« Reply #455 on: April 01, 2016, 11:52:08 PM »
Also, I didn't read every post here, but did anyone else catch the little Star Wars reference with Luthor's prison number having TK-421 in it? Cute.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #456 on: April 03, 2016, 05:00:45 AM »
Also, I didn't read every post here, but did anyone else catch the little Star Wars reference with Luthor's prison number having TK-421 in it? Cute.
I read about it.  Snyder is a huge SW fan.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: April 03, 2016, 12:52:20 PM »
I read that the Box Office from opening Saturday to opening Sunday was the biggest drop-off for a movie ever.

It's also down 70% from last weekend.

I highly doubt this movie will make $1bn worldwide.

Online Adami

« Reply #458 on: April 03, 2016, 12:59:19 PM »
I read that the Box Office from opening Saturday to opening Sunday was the biggest drop-off for a movie ever.

It's also down 70% from last weekend.

I highly doubt this movie will make $1bn worldwide.

For ANY movie ever? I read it was the biggest drop off for any Batman or Superman movie.

It will probably make a billion, but just barely and slowly.

Though I'm sure the blu-ray and DVD sales will be huge.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: April 03, 2016, 01:03:23 PM »
Yep. No better way to make people buy the turd of a movie on DVD than to make it UNCUT !!!!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #460 on: April 03, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »
It's already made its money back in 2 weeks so you know WB is happy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #461 on: April 03, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »

Yea, but with movies like this, it's not just enough making their money back. They have to make enough money back to justify future decisions in the franchise. This movie, thus far, hasn't done a good enough job to justify bold decisions or huge movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: April 03, 2016, 01:17:50 PM »
Reports are saying that it has to make $800m just to break even.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #463 on: April 03, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
I'm excited for the R-rated extended version.

Online Adami

« Reply #464 on: April 03, 2016, 01:34:05 PM »
I'm excited for the R-rated extended version.

I can't say I'm excited for it, but I hope it will do something to salvage the awful cut that was released. However, if that one deleted scene released is any indication, I'll be even more confused.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: April 03, 2016, 01:37:05 PM »
A headline from Twitter :

" The Joker & Riddler were very nearly in Batman V Superman ! "

one reply :

" It would be nice if Superman was in it... "

:rollin

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #466 on: April 03, 2016, 01:43:09 PM »
Also something I don't get. I thought they did Superman fine. I think Lex Luthor wasn't in the movie. Just some dude with that name slapped on. But Superman? I thought he was fine and I really like Cavill in the role.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: April 03, 2016, 01:47:10 PM »
Red Letter Media said Jesse Eisenberg should have been playing The Joker.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #468 on: April 03, 2016, 01:50:03 PM »
I don't agree. That would most likely have been a really disappointing (and annoying) Joker.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #469 on: April 03, 2016, 01:52:00 PM »
Red Letter Media said Jesse Eisenberg should have been playing The Joker.

I thought they were saying that he was essentially playing the Joker and not Lex Luthor due to the personality he gave the character.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: April 03, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »
Something along those lines.

Gene Hackman was more fun.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: April 03, 2016, 01:55:02 PM »

Yea, but with movies like this, it's not just enough making their money back. They have to make enough money back to justify future decisions in the franchise. This movie, thus far, hasn't done a good enough job to justify bold decisions or huge movies.

They have too many movies lined up all ready for them too pull the plug. The machine will move forward.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #472 on: April 03, 2016, 01:56:59 PM »
Also something I don't get. I thought they did Superman fine. I think Lex Luthor wasn't in the movie. Just some dude with that name slapped on. But Superman? I thought he was fine and I really like Cavill in the role.

Superman seemed........very bland. There was just no character there at all. I thought his very few brief moments as Clark were good. But all Superman did was either get super angry and rage, or kind of stand there with a blank expression.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: April 03, 2016, 02:29:16 PM »
The stress of the world is on his shoulders.  Most would act that way.  At least that's how I looked at it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #474 on: April 03, 2016, 02:37:44 PM »
I thought the "she with you?" moment was classic Justice League stuff. Felt like it could have been taken right out of the cartoon I grew up with.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: April 03, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »
On Pre-Rec with Rich Evans and Jack Packard - he says that line makes no sense in the movie and it should have been trailer only because Bruce Wayne himself asked her to show up...

Online Adami

« Reply #476 on: April 03, 2016, 08:25:34 PM »
On Pre-Rec with Rich Evans and Jack Packard - he says that line makes no sense in the movie and it should have been trailer only because Bruce Wayne himself asked her to show up...

This is a good point actually. Batman knew exactly who she was and why she was there. Superman never heard of her. So I get Supes asking if she's with Batman, but then Bats should have just said "Yea....that's how I roll"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #477 on: April 03, 2016, 10:56:34 PM »
Maybe he was just being cheeky. Either way I still like it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #478 on: April 04, 2016, 02:05:56 AM »
Instead of having the other JL members show up in an e-mail, they should have just added random cameos at the end with Doomsday. First you have Wonder Woman appearing and the "Is she with you?" -"I thought she was with you". Then you have the Flash appearing and Superman going "what about that guy?" -"no, never seen him". Then Aquaman appearing "or that guy?" -"nope" and finally Cyborg... "what is this, an Avengers movie?"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #479 on: April 04, 2016, 08:59:06 AM »
I can agree that the e-mail was a very clunky way introduce us to the other JL members.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #480 on: April 06, 2016, 01:15:14 PM »
Instead of having the other JL members show up in an e-mail, they should have just added random cameos at the end with Doomsday. First you have Wonder Woman appearing and the "Is she with you?" -"I thought she was with you". Then you have the Flash appearing and Superman going "what about that guy?" -"no, never seen him". Then Aquaman appearing "or that guy?" -"nope" and finally Cyborg... "what is this, an Avengers movie?"

lol-worthy... though not sure if  :lol or  ::)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: April 06, 2016, 04:27:56 PM »
Justice League: The Batchelor.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #482 on: April 07, 2016, 04:31:47 PM »
I am looking forward to the animated movie of the Killing Joke which they are making. Here's a preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueCJWmvyn78&nohtml5=False

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #483 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:16 AM »
Alrighty guys, I haven't said much about Batman v Superman, but I haven't posted much anyway because of a successful two week long commercial I was working on. That's over with, and I now have a few days to relax before my next production I'll be working on. It seems like I'm going to channel much of the reaction in this forum, which it seems to be "entertaining, but overall not very good."

Batman hates Superman because of what happened in Metropolis in Man of Steel which he saw first hand (and was one of the best moments in the film), and he feels like he has to be stopped. Superman hates Batman because he doesn't like Batman's view on justice, and he feels like he has to be stopped. Their alter egos meeting at Lex's party was great. I loved that Superman figured out who Batman was because he's Superman can hear Alfred in Batman's earpiece. Throw in mystery Gal Gadot, who had the best subplot in the entire movie, you got the beginnings of a great Superhero movie. So what the hell went wrong?

Let me first talk about Zack Snyder, who has directed the first two installments of the DC Universe. Snyder is a brilliant visual artist. He can set up shots like the best of them in business. The scale he brings, and the interesting angles he chooses are just pleasing to the eye. When he comes up with his own storytelling ideas, however, he falls short. Herein lies the biggest problem with Batman v Superman. He has these great ideas to tell a story, but doesn't know how to use them, and we end up with a final product that is everywhere. There's too much going on, and we lose focus on the main plot because we have these subplots that were just expanded too much. If Man of Steel felt like three movies going on at the same time, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice felt like 10 films going on. We didn't need that incident in Africa as a tool to further the tale of the cause and effect of Superman's actions. That was already set up by revisiting the fight with Zod in Metropolis. We didn't need The Daily Planet investigating LexCorp. That takes away from what Lex is doing in the movie (I did not hate Eisenberg BTW. I'll explain further). It all takes away from why Batman and Superman were feuding, which in hindsight was set up well.

With all that going on, it affected the editing, pacing, and overall enjoyment of the film. Less can be more, especially with all the ideas presented.

Ben Affleck is one of the best Batman's ever to hit on the big screen. He is Frank Millers Batman. He is older, grizzled, and he just doesn't care. He plummels the bad guys with brutality. You can see in his eyes that he has had 20 years of experience "of freaks dressed like clowns." That sequence where he goes to rescue Martha Kent is the single best Batman action ever filmed for the big screen. "I believe you." THAT'S STRAIGHT OUTTA THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS! GREAT GEEK MOMENT!

Gal Gadot is my future wife. She's also perfect as Wonder Woman. In fact, she's so great, the only time the audience in my theater ever cheered was when she flew out of no where and saved Batman's ass from Doomsday.

I did not hate Jesse Eisenberg. I just hate how they treated the character, and that's just me wanting to see Lex done right on film. Michael Rosenbaum in Smallville is still the pinnacle Lex Luthor. Anyway, Jesse did the whole psychopath thing well. Too well. So well that he could have been The Riddler. So I didn't hate his performance. I just didn't like they made Lex into a young rich millennial with religious issues. What makes Lex a great character in the comics is that he reminds us that it is hard being human, and how some people have a hard time dealing with certain aspects of life. Superman shows us there is way to overcome.

Which is Snyder's mind is to sacrificing himself, which fits Synder's Jesus Christ illustration of Superman. However, next time we see Superman, it will be in a Justice League movie after being resurrected. Superman is supposed to be the leader of the JL, not Batman. It's concerning to me that Synder set up Cavill to be the leader of the Justice League the way Brian Singer set up  James Marsden's Cyclops to be the leader of the X-Men: Broken. It worked for Man of Steel in my opinion, but Batman v Superman should have set up the character to be strong minded. Even with sacrificing himself to defeat Doomsday, which I guess will get the people of Metropolis to love him now, I just can't picture this Superman to be the leader of the original superhero team up.

I wish there was better cameo appearances from the other JL members. Showing them in a computer file seems like a cop out. First of all, The Flash's big cameo appearance should never have been part of a dream. It should have been in real time. The Flash capability to go back in time makes him one of the most important characters in DC. I thought it was cool they dressed him in his Injustice armor. Aquaman should have appeared when Lois Lane decided to head back for the Kryptonite spear, and saved her from drowning. That would have made the fans cheer, not the capture footage of him swimming away. I guess you could have had Cyborg's appearance in a computer file to show his father capturing his experiments trying to Cyborg's life.

The good things about BvS were awesome. The bad things about BvS were bad. Same feelings I had with Man of Steel, but I liked Batman v Superman a little bit more. I am looking forward to Snyder-less DC movies in Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman. I think we're going to see a big difference creatively, and one I think will be better.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #484 on: April 08, 2016, 03:37:27 AM »
Good points about Snyder's strengths and weaknesses. I haven't seen BVS yet, so can't comment on that, but I can picture exactly what you mean. Man of Steel was fun, but not the strongest in terms of plot and character. Whereas I loved his adaptation of Watchmen because he stuck so closely to the source material (some changes of course, but mostly sensible ones) so the plot was already there, he just needed to get a great visual spectacle and solid performances, which he did.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline adace

« Reply #485 on: April 08, 2016, 04:16:32 AM »
Despite the plot holes and the movie being too long I think it was pretty well done, especially the action scenes.

The most disappointing things were not seeing enough of Wonder Woman in action and the cameos by Aquaman and Flash.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #486 on: April 08, 2016, 04:56:22 AM »
Apart from Dawn of the Dead I'm not a Snyder-fan at all. His movies look alright, but I think the credit to that has to be shared (at least to some extent) with the cinematographer, Larry Fong (who has done most of his movies). I don't think he was a good match for Superman because with both Man of Steel and BvS there's nothing colorful or exciting about Superman, and he looks just as bleak as Batman does. I also don't care for his way of trying to push deep meaning and philosophies into a story that doesn't need it. The jesus references with Superman are filmschool level of "in your face" and there's nothing subtle or clever about it at all. I don't care much about his directing style either, with a lot of shaky cam and a tendency to go way overboard with the CGI in action scenes. The best action scene in BvS was Batman in the warehouse and that was physical combat. Whenever they had a video game cutscene of Superman fighting Doomsday it wasn't nearly as interesting.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #487 on: April 10, 2016, 08:32:09 AM »
Finally saw BvS last night.

I agree with most of the criticisms that have been said about this movie.

Clark Kent's motivations on hating batman were really thin. On the other hand, Bruce Wayne's motivations were explained really well in the opening sequence. Jesse Eisenberg is a really good actor, but Lex in this movie is a complete missed opportunity.

Editing was a mess. Although i suspect that 30 minutes of cut footage, have something to do with it. I think the movie should have focused more on the conflict of Batman and Superman, and not CNN discussions about Superman/Kryptonians.

I have a lot more negatives for this film, but i'm too lazy to list them all..

Despite all this, i liked it most of the time.

Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot, were really well cast as Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince. And the soundtrack Rocked!

Verdict: 5/10

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #488 on: April 10, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »
The CNN stuff felt like "we gotta make it obvious for the dummies". You have scenes where we see a statue of Superman and then we see it vandalized. We see people protesting for and against Superman, and the setup for people being conflicted on Superman is well done. But then you cut to Neil DeGrasse Tyson spouting dialogue like "Superman might be good but he might also be bad, and people like a good guy but they don't like a bad guy"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: April 10, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
Surprised Neil DeGrasse Tyson hasn't tweeted everything wrong with his scene.