Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 130085 times)

Offline The Trooper

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The DC Movies Thread v BVS (***SPOILERS****)
« Reply #386 on: March 27, 2016, 11:00:43 AM »
Half In The Bag review Dawn Of Justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGsrMaxx8N4

Rich's audio in the theater was great.

https://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/batman-v-superman-box-office-2-1201739996/

Brings in $424 Million globally

I fear this means Snyder gets to make more movies.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #387 on: March 27, 2016, 04:07:51 PM »
I'm fine with that. The only thing I feel he needs to change is just to calm down a little. Just becuase all the action isn't happening at lightspeed and all at once doesn't mean it's not exciting. Other than that I'm fine with what he's done for the DCU.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #388 on: March 27, 2016, 05:43:47 PM »
Just got back...

Kill me

I don't even know what to say or where to begin. I will start of with what I liked i guess, which was Ben Affleck as batman. Really enjoyed him and felt it was a decent performance.

What I didn't like was pretty much everything else. The story was a mess, jammed packed with too many characters, and it was all over the place. It was WAY too long. The two and a half hour run time didn't do it any favor. Nothing made sense, And for the love of fucking god, Jessie Eisenberg... doing something so absolutely absurd, I have trouble describing it in words. Whoever allowed that to get on screen needs a slap in the face. And I honestly really like Jesse Eisenberg as an actor, but that in no way shape or form was Lex Luthor. It was a wild swing for the fences and missed the ball by a mile.

I really liked Man of Steel, but wasn't feelin this one.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #389 on: March 27, 2016, 05:54:19 PM »
I take it that Eisenberg's looks/hair/personality/delivery combo clashed in the movie as badly as they did in the trailers?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #390 on: March 27, 2016, 08:44:16 PM »
I thought the movie was trash in almost every conceivable way, but I predicted I'd feel that way going in and watched it nearly exclusively to see Batman, and in that regard, it was pretty awesome. Really, really loved watching Batfleck on screen and enjoyed any time he was on the screen. That is literally it, anything else in the movie either annoyed me, bored me, or borenoyed me. A spectacular new emotion created by this movie in which you simultaneously yawn and become frustrated all at once. I really hope this form of the series ends here but I know it won't and the Batman fan inside me is sad about that. Like other people have said, there is a massive problem with the way this movie is shot and the way it tells its story. Action scenes were cool, but even then were at some points marred by the way they were set up and shot. The story and the way they use the characters (for the most part) is the other huge issue that made me flinch to leave the theater.

On the other hand, I would absolutely love and hope to see a full-fledge Batman film with Affleck that has distanced itself light years away from Snyder. While I didn't love MoS, I thought that it was miles better than this. Funny enough, I think I would have actually loved the film if the direction was a bit more restrained and constructed, and they took out every single character except Batman and Superman. Fuck everyone else. It would have been such a great superhero flick if they focused on the turmoil and tension of Batman and Superman; instead we got a steroid-pumped, mindless, bullshit filled "team up". I'm just not even going to get started on the antagonist, who I cannot name or talk about because I'll have an aneurysm.

It's on the comic book side but will absolutely without a doubt affect the movie end at some point in time, and is quite frankly so ridiculous that it needs to be talked about anyway... Did anyone else see the news from Wondercon that they have the incredibly amazing, brilliant idea to reveal The Joker's name and past? So pretty much all the awesome mystery about his past, the lies, manipulation and deceit that have almost exclusively formed his character's personality will be no doubt be explained in painfully, excruciating and overboard detail. That...that...I...*sigh*
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:50:55 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #391 on: March 28, 2016, 02:52:39 AM »
I take it that Eisenberg's looks/hair/personality/delivery combo clashed in the movie as badly as they did in the trailers?

Yes, maybe even worse. Like they pointed out on Half in the Bag, he really is playing the Joker and not Lex Luthor.

Online faizoff

« Reply #392 on: March 28, 2016, 05:25:41 AM »
I saw the movie and I can completely agree with pretty much all the criticisms written out there. I understand how the critics completely blasted this movie. However, like Man of Steel, I really enjoyed it even with all the problems it has. Definitely the pacing is very wonky, the story telling is all over the place and several things are shoe horned in and the movie really shouldn't have been a Justice league setup with such rapid succession. The half in the bag review nails pretty much all the problems it had and yet honestly I can overlook several of the issue and still find it enjoyable. I'm not a huge comic book reader, haven't read any comics in forever but was aware of the doomsday comic issue. Having not watched the trailers I was surprised by it's inclusion.

I am curious how the DC universe unfolds and how all the characters tie-in together.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: March 28, 2016, 11:48:14 AM »
I actually didn't HATE the movie. But i didn't really flat out enjoy it.

I watched it and wasn't bored or annoyed or amused by its messiness.

My bro and I agree the MOS recap was great and everything from doomsday on was terrible.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #394 on: March 28, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »
I'm not a huge comic book reader, haven't read any comics in forever but was aware of the doomsday comic issue. Having not watched the trailers I was surprised by it's inclusion.

Lucky you. I didn't watch any trailers either but I still got Doomsday spoiled for me. Which means that I basically got the death of Superman spoiled for me. Pisses me off.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: March 28, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »
*SPOILER*

How do you think they'll explain Superman's resurrection ? He was buried in a grave - There's no sunlight down there. . .

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #396 on: March 28, 2016, 01:58:06 PM »
He wasn't resurrected by sunlight when Doomsday killed him in the comics.

From interviews I've read with Snyder, he has no idea yet how they will do it.  Which doesn't surprise me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: March 28, 2016, 02:02:54 PM »
:rollin haha !!

I'm sure he'll think of something "cool".... ::)

That whole ending just made me think of The Wrath Of Khan.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #398 on: March 28, 2016, 03:13:21 PM »
He can continue his Jesus references with having Superman being resurrected after 3 days.

I don't know a lot about the comics/deep lore of Superman, but I know there are different kinds of Kryptonite that has different effects, is there one with healing/resurrecting powers? My first thought while watching the film when Lois was at the grave was that the wedding ring was made of white kryptonite and that it would resurrect him somehow. As stupid as that sounds, it wouldn't be the first time there's a deus ex machina like that.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #399 on: March 28, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »
I'm guessing it'll be similar to the comics in that someone will unearth his body and it will be healed by the sun or some other more nonsensical method.

Or maybe he'll just burst out of the ground, screaming "I SMELL BACON!", which is my personal go-to choice.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: March 28, 2016, 04:20:37 PM »
Well at the end of BVS you see the dirt around the coffin beginning to rise.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #401 on: March 28, 2016, 04:51:43 PM »
They'll call Gabriel and some other 1000 voices. That should be enough.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #402 on: March 28, 2016, 05:10:53 PM »
LOTS OF SPOILERS BELOW:

I too echo a lot of the comments.  First, the bad:

Macro issues - BvS storyline was competing against the other storylines as someone (Zantera?) mentioned.  (Perry, WW, Justice League, Alexander Luthor resurrecting Zod, Lois diggin into LexCorp evil empire, government oversight)... WAY TOO MUCH GOING ON.  Eisenberg.. good acting job, but I didn't dig Luthor Jr. as a sociopath.  What a waste of Doomsday.  Everything about Lois was unnecessary.  Everything about the Daily Planet was unnecessary and stupid. 

Micro issues - so many to list, but these were my primary beefs (along with other beefs already listed)
- Why nuke Supe/Doomsday?  DD can't fly, so just let Supe's toss him out of the atmosphere.  Problem solved.
- Is WW's sword made of Kryptonite?  How did it chop DD's hand off?
- Way to send the "Metahuman" details over EMAIL!!!  Now Google knows all about it.  Totally unnecessary to have that scene revealing them all.  The shit that Bruce found was enough to tease it.
- Lois coming to Gotham by helicopter, and everything involving her after that was ludicrous and unnecessary - like she had to fly all the way there for HER to tell Bats that "Martha is his mother"... and that being the reason that Bats cools off is weak.
- Zod's fingerprints give Luthor the proverbial 'keys to the kingdom'?  C'mon.
- Unnecessarily throwing in the Lasso of Truth.  What was DD going to confess to?

The Good:
Macro - I think it was a good job to setup the reasons why Batman and Superman hate each other.  Acting by all was really good.  I especially loved Irons as Alfred.  He could've been used more.

Micro - final Batman fight scene (loved the gadget that kills the machine guns).  Loved how Batman isn't afraid to kill people when necessary.  Batmobile was kickass.  Action sequences were really good - with only a couple of cringe-worthy moments.

More focus on the BvS arc would've made it better.  Lose EVERYTHING with the Daily Planet, virtually everything with Lois, and make Luthor a cerebral criminal rather than a psychotic one, and I'd be much more content.

Overall though, I liked it better than MoS, and I was entertained.  7/10... a very generous 7.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #403 on: March 28, 2016, 05:51:08 PM »
They'll call Gabriel and some other 1000 voices. That should be enough.

But he can not ressurect peoplr. He can only heal them. ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: March 29, 2016, 06:31:36 AM »
Nothing in this movie makes any sense at all

1. EVERYTHING.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #405 on: March 29, 2016, 07:48:54 AM »
I don't know a lot about the comics/deep lore of Superman, but I know there are different kinds of Kryptonite that has different effects, is there one with healing/resurrecting powers? My first thought while watching the film when Lois was at the grave was that the wedding ring was made of white kryptonite and that it would resurrect him somehow. As stupid as that sounds, it wouldn't be the first time there's a deus ex machina like that.
I used to have a love/hate relationship with the various kryptonites.

Green - weakens Kryptonians severely, with continued exposure eventually leading to death.  In later versions, could also prove lethal to humans over time (Luthor got cancer from a gem of Kryptonite in a ring that he wore)
Red - weakens/removes powers of Kryptonians
Blue - non-lethal to humans or Kryptonians, but affected Bizarros the same way that green Kryponite affected Kryptonians
White - kills plant life
Gold - caused Kryptonians to lose their powers

Lots of other alloys/combinations/other versions sprang up over the years, so it really got silly.  During John Byrne's revamp of Superman following Crisis on Infinite Earths, he reset things so that the only Kryptonite was green, which simplified things and just plain made more sense.  Of course, he also made Superman the only surviving Kryptonian, which also made sense.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #406 on: March 29, 2016, 07:51:43 AM »
Didn't some of them show up in the show Smallville? I feel like I remember red kryptonite showing up.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #407 on: March 29, 2016, 07:53:44 AM »
Didn't some of them show up in the show Smallville? I feel like I remember red kryptonite showing up.
I never watched that show.  A Superman show without Superman?  It seems almost as pointless as a Batman show without Batman.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #408 on: March 29, 2016, 08:18:14 AM »
I never watched that show.  A Superman show without Superman?  It seems almost as pointless as a Batman show without Batman.

Superman without the costume, but still Superman! I watched some episodes here and there back in the day, it used to be on television when I got home after school. There were some cool things in that show, and I remember some classic villains like Doomsday and Brainiac showing up.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #409 on: March 29, 2016, 08:19:34 AM »
Nothing about that show, from concept to episode descriptions, ever made sense to me.

What sense does it make to have Doomsday and Brainiac show up before there is a Superman?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #410 on: March 29, 2016, 08:22:35 AM »
I guess, but on the other hand the show ended with him getting the suit in the last episode in a show that had 10 seasons. I remember reading something about Tom Welling (who played Clark Kent) being very much against the idea of wearing the Superman suit, which strikes me as a bit weird if you sign up to play Clark Kent. But it would help explain why he didn't really become Superman until the end of the show.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: March 29, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »
Well we've had two superman movies now without superman in...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #412 on: March 29, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »
We already had 4 boring Christopher Reeve movies with him playing a heroic Superman. Now we need our Superman to have a taste for blood and be overly violent, so that we can have 2 hours of destroying the planet.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #413 on: March 29, 2016, 09:21:04 AM »
I watched all 10 seasons of Smallville (this was before I knew that TV shows could be good), and yeah there are a few different types of kryptonite in there. And some do different things in that show than what hef said.

On Smallville, red kryptonite doesn't weaken Clark, but it makes him into like a bad boy..?? I don't know, it doesn't make sense. But he puts on a ring of red k once and he becomes a biker and robs a bank.

Also on the show there's black kryptonite, which physically splits him into two Clark's, seperating the kryptonian side from the human side. Which is just retarded because there is no human side to a guy with two kryptonian parents.

I guess, but on the other hand the show ended with him getting the suit in the last episode in a show that had 10 seasons. I remember reading something about Tom Welling (who played Clark Kent) being very much against the idea of wearing the Superman suit, which strikes me as a bit weird if you sign up to play Clark Kent. But it would help explain why he didn't really become Superman until the end of the show.

Also explains why they never actually showed him in the suit. Always sort of in the distance or wierd angles, never a good clear full on view of him in it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #414 on: March 29, 2016, 11:21:33 AM »
I was referencing the comics on the various kinds of kryptonite.  Doesn't surprise me that there were changes made for TV.

I mean, the whole thing just seemed silly. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #415 on: March 29, 2016, 02:04:52 PM »
Will they have the black outfit and the mullet that Superman had when he came back to life from the comic books.  Oh and no cape.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: March 29, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
Will they have the black outfit and the mullet that Superman had when he came back to life from the comic books.  Oh and no cape.

Sounds like Nic Cage would be perfect.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #417 on: March 29, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »

Sounds like Nic Cage would be perfect.

He would never be perfect.  At least for my tastes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #418 on: March 29, 2016, 03:13:44 PM »
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #419 on: March 29, 2016, 03:29:33 PM »
Imagine the reactions in the crowd if Nic Cage bursts out of the coffin and Henry Cavill is nowhere to be found