Author Topic: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN  (Read 128735 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The DC Movies Thread v AQUAMAN
« Reply #1330 on: March 20, 2021, 12:19:10 AM »
Does Batman still do that ridiculously silly landing when they talk to Gordon?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1331 on: March 20, 2021, 08:35:30 PM »
So much better than the theatrical release.   Characters flushed out.
Pluses:

Flash not so nieve and confident.

Martian Manhunter involved.  (How did I not see that?)

Pacing of the movie much better even though it's 4 hours.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: March 20, 2021, 09:48:53 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1334 on: March 20, 2021, 10:06:30 PM »
I have to admit I actually enjoyed that. Overall a much better movie, I had minor issues and still think they should've made a Justice League only after making more solo movies of the main characters.

The IMAX aspect ratio throughout the entire movie was an awesome idea, I really liked that about the movie.

More thoughts later.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1335 on: March 21, 2021, 12:12:11 AM »
OK finished it. Might give it another go in one shot next weekend when I got four days off. I'll be honest, I really enjoyed it. Good to see the characters more fleshed out, as well as the story. Lots of dangling ends that could but probably never will lead to other stories. I figure in typical DC fashion they'll reboot again and again instead of digging in to one universe and letting it grow.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1336 on: March 21, 2021, 01:52:29 AM »
I hated it.  But I hate pretty much all Snyders previous work and this is a mindnumbing 4 hours of his boring bullshit.  Characters may have been fleshed out with backstory, but they actually had less personality in this version.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1337 on: March 21, 2021, 02:46:48 PM »
I was expecting to really dislike it, but I actually mostly really liked it. By far the best Snyder comic movie (not counting Watchmen, which is my fav of his). The changes from the Whedon cut to this are mind boggling. How someone made the decisions they did for that 2017 cut truly baffles me. They destroyed the movie and for no real benefit. I didn't like everything though. The Wonder Woman intro scene was a bit too cartoonish with how insanely over powered they made her, but the moment with the little girl after was great. Some of the plot points and dialogue were really bad, but nothing that made the movie suffer really. One trade off, however, was that they got rid of my least favorite scene from the 2017 cut and also got rid of one of my favorite moments from that one too. The Batman fighting a guy on a roof to find a parademon might have been the dumbest scene in any of these movies, so I was really glad it was gone. However, the "save one person" moment between Batman and The Flash was also gone, which I really thought was a great character moment.

I also would eliminate like half of the epilogue. The future nightmare scene with Joker was just very VERY bad and stupid and could have been deleted. And while it was cool to see that little cameo at the very end, it wasn't really necessary and could have been cut pretty easily.

Overall, a huge improvement and a pretty good movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1338 on: March 21, 2021, 03:43:03 PM »
For me, the biggest improvement was on Steppenwolf's character and motives, it really played out so much cleaner than in the '17 version.

Also, the way they portray the speed force, and Barry's abilities, is just way too fucking cool. When the girl gets in the car wreck and he pokes the glass to break the window is such a sweet fucking effect.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: March 21, 2021, 03:46:26 PM »
The girl in the car is his future wife.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1340 on: March 21, 2021, 10:28:05 PM »
I was expecting to really dislike it, but I actually mostly really liked it. By far the best Snyder comic movie (not counting Watchmen, which is my fav of his). The changes from the Whedon cut to this are mind boggling. How someone made the decisions they did for that 2017 cut truly baffles me. They destroyed the movie and for no real benefit. I didn't like everything though. The Wonder Woman intro scene was a bit too cartoonish with how insanely over powered they made her, but the moment with the little girl after was great. Some of the plot points and dialogue were really bad, but nothing that made the movie suffer really. One trade off, however, was that they got rid of my least favorite scene from the 2017 cut and also got rid of one of my favorite moments from that one too. The Batman fighting a guy on a roof to find a parademon might have been the dumbest scene in any of these movies, so I was really glad it was gone. However, the "save one person" moment between Batman and The Flash was also gone, which I really thought was a great character moment.

I also would eliminate like half of the epilogue. The future nightmare scene with Joker was just very VERY bad and stupid and could have been deleted. And while it was cool to see that little cameo at the very end, it wasn't really necessary and could have been cut pretty easily.

Overall, a huge improvement and a pretty good movie.

I have very similar thoughts on the movie and many of my friends thought the same.

I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed the aspect ratio, when it was announced that the whole movie would be the IMAX 4:3 format, I was a bit skeptical but honestly it looked fantastic. Odd to say it but that was my favorite part of the movie, but I completely enjoyed watching it through that lens.

I'd rate this movie 8/10. I liked it more than BvS. Whedon's JL was probably a 5/10.

spoilers below

Things I loved
The scenes with Darkseid were great. The back story showing the war with Zeus and the Amazon was exceptional. I never read the DC comics extensively so it was a great deeper dive into the JL in the DC universe.
Giving Cyborg, Flash and Steppenwolf a bigger backstory was super helpful to flesh them out giving motivations, establishing the characters and overall arc.
I don't remember much of the 2017 JL but recall Steppenwolf being hideous more than the mustache.

The color palette also worked for me, some scenes could have used more color but overall, it fit the tone of the movie. The fight scenes I thought were amazing. They all appeared interesting and fit with the context of the scene.

Odd/weird things
The slow-mo scenes... as good as they all were it could've been trimmed down. There were way too many of them, the important ones at the end would've felt more powerful had they used it sparingly.

Was it just me or did Batman look fat and awkward in some scenes? reshoots? probably new VFX? there were some scenes his movements seemed janky and he looked chunky in those parts.

The music was ok. I think it detracted at times and was great at others. I could hear shades of the Mad Max Fury Road soundtrack at many places. I think Junkie XL also overused the WW theme quite a bit.
The movie could've been trimmed and tightened and I think would've been fantastic if around 3 1/2 hrs.

Aquaman was probably the most underutilized even with the recut. I think his contribution didn't feel as great as the others in the grand scheme of things.

The epilogue was a mixed bag, the nightmare scene was fantastic but felt so out of place. I know it hints and sets up the future sequel which unfortunately from what I read isn't happening, at least not with Zack Synder involved. Martian manhunter?.. huh? I think he was wasted honestly, felt very tacked on more than the nightmare vision.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1341 on: March 22, 2021, 10:36:10 AM »
I thought it was easily Snyder's best DC film. 

It was also easily better than the theatrical release.

Of course, at 4 hours, this thing never could have been released theatrically, so thank you for existing, HBO Max.

I read that the Martian Manhunter scene at the end was originally supposed to be John Stewart (Green Lantern), but WB asked Snyder not to include him, as they have plans for him.  I guess they have no plans for Martian Manhunter (which is, admittedly, OK).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1342 on: March 23, 2021, 10:24:00 AM »
I'd summarize my thoughts like this:

1. Snyder's best DC film by a margin

2. Much better than the theatrical cut but still has issues

3. Being a home release is a big reason it works because the 4 hours allows for a lot of stuff to be fleshed out

4. I believe if this was cut down to 3 hours to be released in theaters, Snyder most likely would have cut some of the best stuff in favor of the CGI heavy action stuff he likes the most

5. Whether or not he gets to make another one, his vision for the next JL is weird. Lois Lane pregnant with Bruce Wayne's kid (because apparently they had a fling when Superman was gone) is a weird idea and the thought of Superman and Lois raising that baby to become the next Batman after Batman sacrifices himself would also seem weird. With that said, I'm actually hyped for a potential post-apocalyptic story with evil Superman where they gotta set things right, and that story in itself is more interesting to me than the story we got in JL.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1343 on: March 23, 2021, 10:31:54 AM »
Anybody know who the guy was with the Ax that cut into Darkseid essentially ending his first conquest attempt? Was he one of the gods?

Online Adami

« Reply #1344 on: March 23, 2021, 10:43:21 AM »
Anybody know who the guy was with the Ax that cut into Darkseid essentially ending his first conquest attempt? Was he one of the gods?

Ares I think?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1345 on: March 23, 2021, 02:15:45 PM »
Oh yeah, duh. That was when him and zeus were still on the same team.

Good call. Thanks

At first I was like "why is this random viking human dude able to damage Darkseid", but if its Ares then that makes way more sense

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1346 on: March 23, 2021, 02:54:55 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:19:29 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1347 on: March 23, 2021, 03:49:08 PM »
Finally finished the Snyder Cut. I definitely still have my issues with it, but it is easily better than the theatrical version.

Totally agree

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1348 on: March 24, 2021, 06:10:19 AM »
10% of this movie is slow motion shots!  ::)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: March 24, 2021, 07:46:32 AM »

Does that surprise you with the Flash being in it?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1350 on: March 24, 2021, 08:56:17 AM »
I saw that.

I was surprised.  I thought the number would be higher than that.  Slow motion is to Snyder as lens flare is to J.J. Abrams.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1351 on: March 26, 2021, 02:32:49 PM »
Surely it can't be worse than the first one.  Nice looking cast

Suicide Squad 2 trailer
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1352 on: March 26, 2021, 02:43:40 PM »
I have faith in this sequel just due to the fact James Gunn is at the helm.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1353 on: March 27, 2021, 07:06:03 AM »
That's a waste of Gunn's talent imo, but whatever if we get a good movie I'll be happy

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: March 27, 2021, 06:44:38 PM »
That's a waste of Gunn's talent imo, but whatever if we get a good movie I'll be happy

I don't get this. This movie is right in his lane.  Perfect style of movie he excels at.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: March 30, 2021, 02:04:11 PM »
I liked the first Wonder Woman - best of the DCEU by quite a distance. Disappointing to hear that WW84 is a bloated mess.

I thought DC were moving in the right direction and was actually looking forward to it. Ah well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1356 on: March 30, 2021, 02:46:50 PM »
Black Adam to be released summer 2022, and will feature a group of heroes it is referring to as the Justice Society of America, although it bears no resemblance to the JSA with which I am familiar.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1357 on: April 07, 2021, 01:04:50 PM »
I finally caught up with the last two movies I hadn't seen in the DCEU, Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman 1984.

Birds of Prey (8/10)
I really enjoyed Birds of Prey, it was a quirky fun movie that had a nice comic-booky look throughout. I kinda wish they setup Black Mask a little bit more, other than that I thought it was great. The police station scene was hilarious. I think it did just ok financially so not sure how it will affect the other movies like Catwoman or others they may have planned.

Wonder Woman 1984 (6/10)
Man what a disappointing sequel. This movie was really not sure what it wanted to be. When I saw that mall scene, I thought awesome I don't mind if the whole movie is this way. But it kinda flips and flops and is really inconsistent with the tone and how characters go rogue. I dunno it felt all over the place. I do have to say Chris Pine and Gal Gadot have amazing chemistry together. Their scenes together were the best parts of the movie. I also think this was the best acted WW by Gal Gadot. She was very iffy in BvS, kinda in between ok and good in her solo movie & both JLs but I think she knocked it out of the park with her role here. Too bad the script was problematic.

Just too bad we got a very average by the numbers sequel with some promising scenes sprinkled in.

I also for the first time did an entire rewatch of all 9 DCEU movies.  Some perceptions changed, some stayed the same. Have to think about where they all rank.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1359 on: April 23, 2021, 06:53:50 AM »
https://www.thewrap.com/michael-keaton-confirmed-batman-the-flash/

sweet
Agreed.  I used to watch Supergirl; I haven't kept up with the station-switches and the increased heavy-handed wokeness, but I've been meaning to catch up on the other legs of the tripod - Flash and Green Arrow.  This might be a good reason to do just that.

Online Adami

« Reply #1360 on: April 23, 2021, 06:58:55 AM »
If you’re looking to avoid any liberal thoughts, then I’d stick to Green Arrow. Even though all the shows have become increasingly meh. Except Superman and Lois and Legends.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1361 on: June 10, 2021, 09:34:53 AM »
So it looks like based on the success of fans rallying to get the Snyder Cut released, fans of Joel Schumacher are angling to get the director's cut of Batman Forever released. I never knew a director's cut existed before today. According to reports, the film was a big more psychological, and had scenes cut including an extended dream sequence with a giant bat. It's reported as being much "more dark" than the theatrical version.

There's this Twitter account, @SchumacherCut, that hopes to make the hashtag #ReleaseTheSchumacherCut trend on Twitter on Wednesday, June 16.

To be honest, I'm not sure the director's cut of this particular film is worth it. Obviously, I haven't seen it. But while I like Val Kilmer as an actor, I was saying to my wife that he got Bruce Wayne entirely wrong. He played him serious, whereas Bruce Wayne was supposed to be a playboy to the general public. Keaton got that. So did Bale. But I felt Kilmer just didn't get it. Or if he did, he was directed to act the part that way, which I felt was a mistake.

I liked Batman Forever when it was released. I always felt that while Batman (1989) was really good, Batman Returns, other than the stellar Catwoman performance, was lacking. It was too gothic and weird. So I was happy to see it lightened a bit. Unfortunately, Joel Schumacher went a little far for my tastes with all the neon and stuff. But I thought Chris O'Donnell was a good Robin. Jim Carrey's Riddler was fun. Tommy Lee Jones...I think they wasted his talents. That character had real serious issues, and they just made him a campy villain.

I rewatched the theatrical version over the last year. It was tough to sit through, given how good (IMO) the Nolan Trilogy was. To me, that is the definitive "Batman on Film." Batman Forever hasn't aged well. That said, I'd be interested in viewing a director's cut, if it truly is more than one additional scene, to see this "psychological angle" that has been discussed.

I'm not one for these Twitter trending things, so I probably won't be taking part on the 16th. But if it happens, and WB makes the director's cut of Batman Forever available, I'd check it out.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1362 on: June 10, 2021, 09:55:04 AM »
I can't imagine this being a good idea.  Or one that would actually happen.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1363 on: June 10, 2021, 10:21:38 AM »
I can't imagine this being a good idea.  Or one that would actually happen.

I don't think it will happen. The Snyder cut was different. He WANTED it released. Schumacher passed away last year. I don't really think WB has any real reason to release it. The theatrical version, despite its flaws was a box office success.

Then again, considering Stallone is releasing a new cut of Rocky IV, and these new cuts of films seem to be trending, you never know. If there's money to be had, WB will be all over it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1364 on: August 06, 2021, 06:02:57 PM »
Absolutely loved The Suicide Squad. What a fun movie.