Author Topic: Elementary  (Read 938 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Elementary
« on: March 25, 2015, 04:06:26 PM »
Any else watch this American modern-day Sherlock Holmes show?

I was sceptical when it was first announced, but I really like it. It's into the third season now and still going strong. More "episodic" than a lot of shows, with a lot of "mystery of the week" stuff going on, but the story arc stuff going on in the background really makes it.

We're a few weeks behind in the UK, but this week's episode here (s3e14) was soooooo good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Elementary
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »
How does it compare with Sherlock, in your opinion?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 04:51:56 PM »
Oh not as good as Sherlock, but Sherlock is easily in my top 5 shows ever. But, importantly, they've done something quite different. Sherlock is basically event television, each season being essentially three films with huge set-pieces. Elementary is done in a more crime procedural style, with long seasons of standard-length episodes.

Other than the fact that they're set in the modern day, and Sherlock himself is English, the two shows have basically nothing in common in terms of style/approach. I really like the fact that both shows have taken different approaches to incorporating things from the novels and original films.

A couple of examples - In Sherlock, Dr Watson is an army doctor who had to retire from the forces. And Sherlock's drug use - in Sherlock, he uses a nicotine patch (very BBC). In contrast, in Elementary Sherlock is a recovering heroin addict, and Dr Watson is a former doctor who now works as sober companion who is assigned to help Sherlock.

I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 05:04:07 PM »
Watson is also a she and so is Moriarty.  I like it a ton.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 05:08:33 PM »
Are you up to date with it Joe? Here in Blighty we've just had the episode that ends with Joan getting a letter from Moriarty. Bloody good end to the episode!

The Moriarty story arc in season 1 is still the best thing they've done IMO.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 05:11:27 PM »
Wait, Joan Watson?! That sounds like it could either be very interesting or extremely craptastic. But you definitely have me intrigued, I'll give this a whirl. I'm not watching many shows at the moment anyway, so I might as well try it out.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
Yes I am Rich.  Loved all the seasons so far.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »
Wait, Joan Watson?! That sounds like it could either be very interesting or extremely craptastic.
At first I was wondering what the point of the change was, other than just so that they could have a male and female lead in the show. But I eventually warmed up to her.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 01:20:58 AM »
Yeah it's very well done. As with all the changes that both Sherlock and Elementary have made, it fits with the style of story they're telling. Joan is a really good character, and so so different to Martin Freeman's John.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 06:27:48 AM »
I eagerly watch this as well.

Great lead acting for network TV but the support actors get a bit generic. Holmes, Watson, Captain Gregson, and Mycroft are quite interesting characters.

Surprisingly good mysteries too. They rarely telegraph the solution nor do they have Holmes pull the solution out of his ass for no reason. He usually has a great reason for pulling it out.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens