Author Topic: X-Files returning to television  (Read 11294 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: X-Files returning to television
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2016, 06:03:14 PM »
I am in the middle of season 5. Still love it. Just to change things up, I decided to watch one of the new season episodes. I appreciate the attempt, but the magic just isn't there. and moulder is OLD...

Oh well, still glad they tried.

Calvin6s

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2016, 06:18:37 PM »
I don't know what to think after seeing all 6 new episodes.  I want to like it, but can't.  But I can't hate it either.  In fact, checking for a review after watching the finale, I came across a review that said Chris Carter must go.  Just like Lucas/Star Wars, Stan Lee/Marvel. 

Didn't really have a big problem with the anti-vaxxer / climate change / population control themes.  I recall the old episodes playing off conspiracy theories and more extreme current events.  Heck, the whole thing is fiction and not meant to be taken as validation/rejection of these things.  Just tying in unexplained events with familiar themes to give it some grounding, but not enough to take away the "x".

The big problem was trying to squeeze the mytharc for an entire season into 2 episodes.  If they continue, they really should consider a 10-12 mytharc only season.  As long as the plot has some of the old magic, it would probably go down as the best season of the series.

and moulder is OLD...
I know right.  He was protecting his lawn the entire season.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »
Yeah, I don't think this new season was particularly good, but I certainly didn't hate it either. It was watchable. I do think it would've been much better with more of a mytharc focus, but at a slower pace, rather than jamming a ton of it into two episodes.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2016, 03:11:44 PM »
I didn't mind the final episode, but damnit only 6 episodes after a decade of absence and they end on a damn cliffhanger????

They were dicks in the '90s and they are still dicks now.

Anyway, that's the charm of the X Files, I thought the story was actually kinda moving forward for X Files standards, it was very clear what was happening and with some bumps along the road Scully came to the right conclusion... and then of course they have to cliffhanger us, grrrrr!  >:(

I find very weird how Monica introduced herself. "I'm one who was there for you when you needed help". FFS you've been working together, you were coworkers, just tell it's you!!! "Hi, I'm Monica, remember me?" They were partners and she delivered her damn child, she shouldn't even need to get told the surname.

Also, screw Dogget I guess, he was the only one left out completely.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Calvin6s

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »
I forgot my biggest complaint about the mytharc episodes.  Joel McHale.  I just don't care for that guy at all.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2016, 05:15:27 PM »
I forgot my biggest complaint about the mytharc episodes.  Joel McHale.  I just don't care for that guy at all.
I did think he was a strange choice, as I don't think most people can take him seriously.

Calvin6s

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2016, 05:23:29 PM »
I did think he was a strange choice, as I don't think most people can take him seriously.

Considering what he was playing, a conspiracy theorist, some could argue that makes him perfect for the role.  But that's why I don't care for him.  He's one of those people I just don't like (as a character).  There's just something about him that make me immediately think "ugh" the minute he shows up in something I am watching.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:08:21 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2016, 02:05:30 PM »

Absolutely. I cringed every scene he was in.

The only episode I thoroughly enjoyed was 2. It was real, classic, season 2-level X-Files.

Obviously 3 was funny and worked just as well as the other parodic X-Files eps from the past, but that's not why I watch the show. It was very successful for a lot of people who do, from what I read.

Two of the six? Low success ratio. I am officially non-optimistic about anything new now. Especially this Origins series coming up with "baby Mulder and Scully." Cheesiest possible scenario. Use Doggett and Reyes or choose two great actors for totally new investigators, not an exact, parodic rehash.

This is about the only time I'd accept a scene with Mulder waking up and this 6-episode run being a dream. ::)

Calvin6s

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2016, 02:09:30 PM »
This is about the only time I'd accept a scene with Mulder waking up and this 6-episode run being a dream. ::)

LOL.  X-Files meets Roseanne

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
I watched the first movie last night.

Meh. All the pieces were there, but It didn't really do it for me. I honestly find the 2 parter episodes way more engaging and suspenseful. But hey, any x files is better than no x files as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2016, 09:01:06 AM »
I didn't watch the last seasons, but enjoyed a lot x-files for some years !
This year's season is a NO for me, I can't say the magic is gone, but it felt weak to me, like the next one can only be better :s
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2016, 06:43:19 PM »
In my quest to watch the whole series for the first time I have made it almost to the end of Season 7, and man oh man has this thing gone off the rails.

Like I just got the episode where Mulder meets a magic genie and gets 3 wishes, lol. Its just gotten too crazy, straying so far from even barely being plausible, but I'm still enjoying it non the less. Still better than most things out there.

2 old seasons left to go
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:03:13 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2016, 09:21:41 PM »

In my quest to watch the whole series for the first time I have made it almost to the end of Season 7, and man oh man has this thing gone off the rails.

Like I just got the episode where Mulder meets a magic genie and gets 3 wishes, lol. Its just gotten too crazy, straying so far from even barely being plausible, but I'm still enjoying it non the less. Still better than most things out there.

2 old seasons left to go
Just wait till you get to First Person Shooter.   :lol

Season 7 is definitely one of the weaker seasons. No doubt about it. There're some good episodes hidden in the season but also lots of dross and mediocrity.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2016, 03:28:51 AM »
While people overall say the show declines after S5, I'd say both S6 and S8 are among my favorite seasons.

S6 has wonderful episodes like Triangle (Mulder on a ship stuck in the 40s with Nazi-Cigarette Smoking Man and all that entails), Monday (a bank heist keeps repeating itself over and over until the loop is closed), Arcadia (Mulder and Scully going undercover to infiltrate a small community), the wonderful Dreamland episodes (where Mulder changes bodies with a guy working at Area 51), The Unnatural (an alien infiltrating earth just to play baseball) and Drive (with an always great Bryan Cranston). There are some lowpoints like Agua Mala (Hurricane and something in the water) and Alpha (a ferocious dog that kills people), but overall I think it's a really good season with some of the best MotW-episodes and some very solid mytharc-episodes.

S8 introduced Doggett, and I know people didn't like Mulder leaving, but in S8's defense, Mulder still shows up for 12 out of 21 episodes, which is still more than half. To me, the introduction of Doggett was very well done. The first few mytharc-episodes of the season (Within/Without) were very good and really opened the season in a strong way. The mytharc in S8 was overall one of my favorite parts, with the mysterious super soldiers starting to appear. I think they were a great threat in S8, they just revealed too much, and/or took them down a different road in S9 which made S9 worse. If we look at the MotW-episodes, S8 has gems like Roadrunners (A weird cult out in the desert uses a kind of slug parasite to take over people), Redrum (a friend of Doggett is a convicted Murderer who experiences his last week in life progressing backwards as he tries to clear himself of a murder he did not commit), Via Negativa (a cult leader goes on a murderous rampage) and Badlaa (a mystic from India kills people in the most unpleasant way). Overall I think the mytharc is the highpoint of S8 though. Vienen is a wonderful episode that brings back the feeling of X-Files season 3/4 with the return of the black oil, and is one of the rare episodes where we get to see Mulder and Doggett work side by side. There are some lowpoints though, Salvage (where a guy turns into a robot basically) sticks out.

S7 and S9 are definitely much weaker. There are some gems in both of them, but they are much fewer, and overall they were harder to sit through. But for the sake of finishing this post strong, my favorites from each of them were:

S7: Hungry (An episode shown from the killer's point of view), Closure (Mulder finally gets closure on what happened with his sister), X-Cops (a shape-shifting enemy strikes terror in a neighborhood in an episode filmed like an episode of Cops), Requiem (a nice season-closer that has some classic mytharc-stuff and felt like a good resolution on the Mulder-era)

S9: John Doe (Doggett is in Mexico with no memory of who he is or how he got there), Audrey Pauley (Reyes goes into a coma and wakes up in a weird dream-world, while getting care at a hospital where something bad is going on), Scary Monsters (A young boy is terrorized by monsters at night), Release (Doggett finally gets some closure on what happened with his son), William (A mysterious character that we might now shows up). And while The Truth wasn't the best season ender that we all hoped it would be, I still enjoyed seeing a lot of faces again that we hadn't seen for a while.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2016, 12:23:58 PM »
Completely agree with your appreciation for Season 8. The absence of Mulder was very intense, Duchovny's departure was written very well into the show. It was Mulder missing and Scully dealing with  his abduction and a partner he didn't like / trust (at first), it was not "D'uh guys the lead went away, please enjoy this new character" written all over the show. Episodes were mostly good (and yeah the indian mystic was creepy as f@łk) and when Mulder returned, the mythology produced one high tension episode after the other until the satisfying ending. Frankly they could have ended the show just there.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Calvin6s

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2016, 12:38:35 PM »
I have to admit, Doggett was a hard sale for me.

Speaking for myself, I'm recalling how I got hooked on the X-Files in the first place.  The stars aligned.  UFO stuff on TV was at an all time high.  Not only were we talking about faked footage of an alien autopsy, the reports of mysterious lights seemed to be off the charts.  These were not *internet* days where everything spreads like wildfire.  So if it was a phenomenon, it had to work hard to become so.

At the same time, there were TV shows that were doing dramatic re-enactments of encounter/abduction *true* stories.  Not like a documentary, but acting out what happened for a whole TV show each week.

I wasn't even aware of any X-Files hype.  At the parents house visiting (and more importantly, doing some laundry).  This meant TV time between laundry loads.  Turned on X-Files after the opening credits had rolled.  Figured it was one of those re-enactment dramatizations frequenting the airwaves.  By the time I figured out it wasn't, I was already hooked.

If all those things hadn't aligned, I'm not sure I would have been so heavily into the X-Files.  None of my friends were.  They rolled their eyes when I asked if they wanted to watch.  Talked a friend into seeing the X-Files movie a few years later.  Leaving the theater, I was loving what I saw.  My friend gave a very weak "Eh.  I get to pick the movie next time."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2016, 03:44:43 PM »
Completely agree with your appreciation for Season 8. The absence of Mulder was very intense, Duchovny's departure was written very well into the show. It was Mulder missing and Scully dealing with  his abduction and a partner he didn't like / trust (at first), it was not "D'uh guys the lead went away, please enjoy this new character" written all over the show. Episodes were mostly good (and yeah the indian mystic was creepy as f@łk) and when Mulder returned, the mythology produced one high tension episode after the other until the satisfying ending. Frankly they could have ended the show just there.

This is exactly how I feel! Instead of doing what a lot of other shows do, where a main character disappears and a new one comes in, and they just move on with new stories, X-Files managed to incorporate it so well with their own story already going on. We had 7 seasons where we grew to appreciate Mulder and like him as a character, so when he disappeared, we were more invested and it made those episodes more interesting. I think if you look at the overall mytharc, S8 almost should have been the end, because of the way it built to a climax with Mulder eventually returning. S9 was a disappointment in comparison because by the time S9 came out, many of the storylines from S8 had been wrapped up, Mulder was out, Scully was barely involved and it became "new other stories with new characters", something S8 avoided.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2016, 05:23:52 PM »
So I just finished all episodes of the entire series. It was one hell of a journey.

Season 7 got goofy, but Season 8 brought everything back to that serious, clever, suspenseful roots and I loved it. Season 9 was ok, but Agent monica didn't do it for me. Robert Patrick was excellent and I really enjoyed his work on the show. Overall, I loved the x files and it very well could be my favorite show ever.

And then there's season 10...

Yeah I am happy to have more x files, but they fell right back into the trap that put the original series off the rails, the goofyness and not taking things seriously. Mulder tripping balls, monster turning into a human and ranting about humans. Yeah, its entertaining, but very silly. I wish they would have gotten back to what took the x files from being a good show to being a legendary show and that's the super deep, highly suspenseful, and a little bit scary, well written episodes.

also agent Einstein and miller were unneeded and unwanted

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2016, 04:44:35 PM »
Starting this show with my friend. Other than a few episodes I've caught on tv over the years, this is my first watch of the show. On episode 5 now, this should be a long but fun journey.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2016, 01:14:10 PM »
On Season 2, Episode 7 now. I love this show.  :tup

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2016, 12:01:30 PM »
I'm also watching this for the first time, I have only watched some episodes before. Now I'm the middle of season 2.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »
I loved watching it through for that first time. It was so damn good, I think I might go through all of them once again.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2016, 03:35:16 PM »
Going through it pretty quickly with my girlfriend. We are on Season 3 Episode 16

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2016, 08:00:32 AM »
Just finished season 3 the other day and we are still loving it. I do think my favorite season thus far is 2.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2016, 09:03:04 AM »
Such a great show! Will revisit it at some point. Against popular opinion I probably liked s6 and s8 the most.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
so.....anyone have a reaction to the newest episode?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2018, 10:18:37 AM »
Haven't followed this thread at all because I haven't seen S10 or the new one but i'm feeling an urge now. Been so long since i've seen the show, can I just jump in or should I rewatch something?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline T-ski

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2018, 02:41:38 PM »
Haven't followed this thread at all because I haven't seen S10 or the new one but i'm feeling an urge now. Been so long since i've seen the show, can I just jump in or should I rewatch something?

watch the first and last episode of season 10 is you want the main story arc before you begin the new season.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2018, 06:59:35 PM »
so.....anyone have a reaction to the newest episode?

I enjoyed it for it's entertainment value. I get how people are upset that it's altering the mythology of the show, but I'm just going to sit back and see where the story goes.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2018, 03:24:15 AM »
When I was going through the whole show (s1-s9), the main story episodes were always the ones I looked forward to the most because I was fascinated where they would go next, and they always felt big in scale. Kinda how today, people say that Tv-shows are like movies, that's how those mytharc episodes of X-Files used to feel. Bigger in scope, the stakes were higher and they usually left you on that "what?!" feeling. Don't get me wrong, the monster of the week episodes could be great too (in some cases some of the best episodes), but that was usually a case-by-case scenario where you might get something really interesting and unique for the show (Home, Bad Blood, The Post-Modern Prometheus, Pusher) OR you get something that is almost laughably bad (First Person Shooter, Fight Club, Teso Dos Bichos) so it was more of a mixed bag, whereas the mytharc episodes (at least going into them) were usually more interesting since they drove the overall plot forward.

Now with s10 and s11 it's become a joke. The mytharc episodes are so bad and so contrived, rather than make something new and interesting it just feels like they're pulling a "forget about all of this that happened, now it's like this instead..." on us. I did appreciate seeing Jeffrey Spender again, a bit of a personal favorite from the old days. As little sense as it would make, would be fun if we got to see Krycek again, definitely one of the best characters on the show.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »
So, am I alone in thinking Duchovny made the worst move in his career in wanting to leave X-Files?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2018, 06:03:36 AM »
So, am I alone in thinking Duchovny made the worst move in his career in wanting to leave X-Files?

He had a decent run with Californication but otherwise, yeah probably.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2018, 05:38:51 PM »
Working my way through Season 6, loved the Freaky Friday-esque episode. Not a big fan of this Kirsch guy. Somebody please tell me I don't have to endure the whole season with him. Either that, or hopefully he gets that giant stick out of his ass

Offline masterthes

« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
So, I don't know if I'm the only one who's noticed this, but during a few selected episodes in the theme song, when Gillian's name appears, there's a moment when the bass drops. Are these indicative of a main storyline episode?

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2018, 07:37:25 PM »
So, I don't know if I'm the only one who's noticed this, but during a few selected episodes in the theme song, when Gillian's name appears, there's a moment when the bass drops. Are these indicative of a main storyline episode?

I haven't noticed that, I'm going to check that out. It could be that.