Author Topic: X-Files returning to television  (Read 11307 times)

Offline T-ski

X-Files returning to television
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:36:37 PM »
only reason I know this is because my wife is a bit obsessed with this show.

figured some here are fans.....

https://tvline.com/2015/03/24/x-files-revival-reboot-six-new-episodes-fox/
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: X-Files returning to television
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:39:31 PM »
I wanted to love the X-Files. I really liked the movie and don't think the show is bad, but when I sat down to try and binge through it, I was beyond bored.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:43:57 PM »
I'm looking forward to this returning. I still haven't watched all of the other episodes though.  I started DVRing them for a while but they kept playing the same ones over and over so I definitely haven't seen much of the later seasons.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
Oh gee can it please be 6 Myth Arc episodes that was always the best part of the show [/sarcasm]

Let's have some monster of the week episodes please, at least one legitimately scary and one hilarious. Actually let's have six funny episodes. Actually I'm just gonna watch Clive Bruckman's Final Repose, Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Small Potatoes, Bad Blood, Humbug, and...one other one, iunno.

Maybe Vince Gilligan will write an episode? His were always the best.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 02:04:59 AM »
Oh god have I waited for this. Hopefully they bring back the weird and scary cases from the early seasons.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:09:57 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 06:27:03 AM »
This could be interesting. I remember when my best friend got me hooked up with the show and we used to get together to watch this every single day, he's gonna be super excited when he finds out.

I wanted to love the X-Files. I really liked the movie and don't think the show is bad, but when I sat down to try and binge through it, I was beyond bored.

Well, as I said earlier I loved the show but I can understand that it doesn't appeal to you. I tried watching the earlier seasons a couple years back and it was hard for me because of the time that has passed and how tv has evolved since then.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 07:04:21 AM »
I never was able to get into this show, but I think it was timing more than anything.  Later on, when Fringe was on, I loved that, and I've been told it was similar.

My best friend was a huge fan of X-Files, so I'm sure he is glad about this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 07:22:17 AM »
I never was able to get into this show, but I think it was timing more than anything.  Later on, when Fringe was on, I loved that, and I've been told it was similar.

Funny you say that. I tried so hard to get into Fringe. I watched 16 episodes of it and just couldn't. I think I disliked X-files for the same reason I disliked Fringe. There is an overall arching story in both shows, a very interesting one at that. Both shows have great casts (Walter in Fringe is awesome).However, I feel like both shows waste way too much time getting through the main story arch. Every episode (most episodes) has the same formula; something crazy happens, someone smart sees something the other people don't, there's an internal conflict or two, and then the crazy thing from the beginning is figured out. Along the way you might get a puzzle piece to the over arching storyline. I understand a lot of people don't mind that format, but it's too boring for my taste.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 07:22:23 AM »
My gf is a huge x-files fan. I watched it first time round and loved it. We are watching it again through as she got me the entire series's on DVD for christmas!

The first season looks dated but the production is noticeably better in season 2. The stories are great though. That was what got me watching in the first place.

Last year we watched Fringe straight through as well and that does get better. Gotta be said though, it's very derivative of the X-files.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 07:24:31 AM »

Funny you say that. I tried so hard to get into Fringe. I watched 16 episodes of it and just couldn't. I think I disliked X-files for the same reason I disliked Fringe. There is an overall arching story in both shows, a very interesting one at that. Both shows have great casts (Walter in Fringe is awesome).However, I feel like both shows waste way too much time getting through the main story arch. Every episode (most episodes) has the same formula; something crazy happens, someone smart sees something the other people don't, there's an internal conflict or two, and then the crazy thing from the beginning is figured out. Along the way you might get a puzzle piece to the over arching storyline. I understand a lot of people don't mind that format, but it's too boring for my taste.

Im with you most of the way really. The later series in Fringe do focus a lot more on the main story - and it is a cool story.

All in all though, I prefer the Breaking Bad type story arch where each episode is integral.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 07:37:57 AM »
These news are awesome.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 08:25:11 AM »

Fringe was great.  I still need to watch a handful of episodes.  Denethor  John Noble is brilliant in that show.  He has become one of my favorite actors.

Calvin6s

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 09:25:09 AM »
For the most part, I liked X-Files.  But I liked those that furthered the greater story, and like most TV dramas, too many filler episodes just so they could get the 24 per season, and then get the new season contract.  Just tell the story.

I have the whole thing on DVD, but when I sat and tried to just watch it from episode one to episode last, it started to feel like a chore.  It was much easier to digest when you'd just catch it once a week.  And this was before DVR was really a significant thing, so you'd either have to watch a VHS recording or just wait to see it live so you could see the better quality version.  And when you missed an episode, oh well.

I think there are websites that list the "mythology" episodes which I believe means it is an episode that has something pertinent to the larger story.  I always mean to write those down and rewatch just those episodes.  But that sounds like something to do when you are a senior citizen and are looking for things to fill your day.

The new stuff will be something I catch, but it will probably feel odd to me.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 07:02:34 PM »
Liked X-files when I was a kid. Huge, huge fan of the first movie.

That said, Fringe >>>> X-Files

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 10:40:18 PM »

Well, it's [the X-Files] is an early 90's, largely episodic show so it's practically a given that there's going to be some filler. That said, The X-Files is one of the very few shows where the monster-of-the-week stuff was, generally, better than the storyline stuff. What X-Files did really well was in mixing things up. Some episodes were like mini horror movies, some really played up the sci-fi aspects, and others were filled with a lot of dark comedy. IMO, the 'funny' episodes tended to be the best but the show did really well with most of the styles. The early mythology stuff was really cool too, but it ran into a huge problem as the show went on. Namely, no one seemed to know wtf was going on with half of the plotlines. The early mythology stuff was really cool, but it spun out of control well before the series ended. Fringe was kind of the same way, except the monster of the week stuff was generally dull and the mythology stuff was fairly well handled, at least for the first few seasons.

So I'm really wondering what the point of this revival is. If it's to continue on with the mythology portion, then I don't give a fuck. That ceased being interesting in like Season 5 of the show and I seriously doubt that Carter has been spending the intervening years improving his plotting skills enough to make me give a fuck now. If it's more monster of the week then I have to ask... why? I guess I just don't see the point in bringing the show back for more motw stuff especially as I kinda doubt that the writing that made those episodes so great back in the day will be there now.

Then again, maybe I'll be wrong and this will be awesome. Personally, I'm far more hopeful that the Twin Peaks Season 3 manages to get off the ground than this. THAT ended on an awesome cliffhanger with a bunch of unanswered questions.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 01:58:04 AM »
That said, Fringe >>>> X-Files

lol no

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 10:52:55 AM »

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »
Fringe had the better mythology stuff because it seems as if someone actually thought a little about it ahead of time. X-Files, it felt like, was all just make shit up on the spot.

Fringe's monster-of-the-week stuff, on the other hand, was just a pale imitation of The X-Files. I don't recall any that were half as interesting as stuff like "Gender Bender," "Squeeze / Tooms," "Die Hand Die Verletzt," "Eve,"The Host," or "Humbug."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
It comes down to what you prefer. I like Fringe, but X-Files is on a much higher level. But I also found the Government Conspiracy main plot much more appealing than the alternative dimensions and several versions of the characters in Fringe.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 10:14:38 AM »
I tried watching Fringe, but I hated the characters right off the bat. "Doc Brown", his wisecracking son, and the chick nonchalantly solving weird mysteries with no sense of danger. No fear, no "holy shit, aliens." It was just another day. Completely unbelievable characters. It was like watching Charmed. No matter how big the threat, the witches didn't give a fuck, and they were never in any danger. "oh you're an evil demon who can destroy the world? Let me talk some shit."

I never made it passed the second episode, so things may have changed, but I did not like what I saw.

I didn't actively watch Charmed. My girlfriend loves the show, and I only saw it in passing. That show is awful beyond words.

I love The X-Files, but I still have a couple seasons to go. John Doggett is a cool character, but after David Duchovny left the show it was harder to stay interested.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »
I tried watching Fringe, but I hated the characters right off the bat. "Doc Brown", his wisecracking son, and the chick nonchalantly solving weird mysteries with no sense of danger. No fear, no "holy shit, aliens." It was just another day. Completely unbelievable characters. It was like watching Charmed. No matter how big the threat, the witches didn't give a fuck, and they were never in any danger. "oh you're an evil demon who can destroy the world? Let me talk some shit."

I never made it passed the second episode, so things may have changed, but I did not like what I saw.

I felt the same way after watching the first episode. My girlfriend insisted I keep watching because "it gets better once you get into the story". Well after 16 episodes, my opinion remained the same and it became "it gets better in the later seasons". There were definitely some parts of Fringe that were cool and captivating, but all in all, it was too far gone from reality. I get that a suspension of belief is required in science fiction, but I have a really hard time doing that. That's probably why I don't like most science fiction movies.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 09:00:31 AM »
I was loving X-Files immensely but it fell off the map for me, somewhere during the fifth season when my harddrive had to be swiped, I lost all the episodes and in a turmoil of events I just kinda had other things on my plate, and it fell to the wayside. I had plans on picking up again to watch everything before the new season, but since I wasn't 100% sure which episode I left off on (plus it has been a year or so), I decided to just start from the beginning again.

So far I've seen the first three episodes. This show.  :heart

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 06:03:29 PM »
It comes back on my birthday so I'm taking that as a good sign. :lol

My friend and I have been watching through this show, I always wanted to but never had the chance as a kid. Love the show with a passion.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 06:01:13 AM »
Really interested in this, looking forward to what they come up with.

I love the original show, still one of the best tv series, at least for me. It was inventive and clever and the Mythology arc was great up until season five or six, when they got lost a bit in all the things they had set up. I even liked T1000 Robert Patrik as John Doggett when he replaced Duchovny, they just had to give his character more time to evolve.

And I had a serious crush on Dana Scully  ;D

The first X-Files movie was great too, the second one was mostly bullshit.

So: Trust No One and The Truth Is out There.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 09:50:07 AM »
Never watched the series.....watched all of FRINGE.

Curious as to if these episodes will require knowledge from the series/movies or if you could just start watching and not be too lost?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 12:54:24 PM »
From what I've heard they will continue the main storyline, but maybe have one or two monster of the week episodes as well. In X-Files you have the main story arc (a few episodes per season) and then a lot of MotW episodes, so if you don't want to watch over 9 seasons, you could just watch the main story episodes and get a fairly decent knowledge of what's happening. I'd recommend seeing it all though, and the first movie is really awesome. The second one was OK, but didn't feel like an X-Files movie.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 12:36:26 AM »
X-Files teaser trailer

It's nice seeing them back together.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 12:59:34 AM »
X-Files teaser trailer

It's nice seeing them back together.  :tup

:tup

And they sure look older but Scully is still smokin' hot  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Calvin6s

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 01:26:40 AM »
I have such mixed feelings on this.  Definitely an *early adopter* in 1993.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I caught the premiere episode by chance.  But by the end of the series, I was starting to question if I should keep watching.  I was more or less about to quit, then the final season was announced.  Why stop now?  So I'm not sure what version I'm going to get.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 01:54:55 AM »
I started watching this recently but I'm struggling to stay interested. I'm nearing the end of Season 3.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 04:07:43 AM »
I'm so excited for this. One of the best shows ever!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 10:01:07 AM »
So no one here watched it besides me? REALLY?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2016, 11:42:52 AM »
I had to work Sunday night and will again Monday.  My wife on the other hand had Mulder and Scully set up at a viewing party at the Star Wars cantina....

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »
I thought the first episode was tonight. Got to catch up then

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 04:06:55 AM »
I really liked the first episode, a very nice way to get (back) into the world.
Keeping the title sequence and the info text style old school was pretty bold yet a very nice surprise.
Looking forward to the continuation and hopefully more material beyond the six episodes this year.

Greetings...
Nef