Author Topic: Elite's Roulette v3: It's Over. - Final Results!  (Read 21148 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Roulette v3: Baffle Me - Round 4 Results! Send round 5.
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2015, 07:10:11 AM »
Say what you want, I’ve been a terrible roulette host over the past two weeks, not even telling what I was up to and not posting any results. I know, I’ve had some serious issues at home, with my studies and with various other things and I was also ill last weekend, so I simply couldn’t get myself to type these out. Since I’m short on time still, these results won’t have as lengthy write-ups as the past rounds. I’m honestly sorry, I hoped I could do better, but real life unfortunately takes up more of my time than I initially thought. For this reason, I have not listene to every song as much as I wanted to (I would usually go with at least 5 or 6 listens), but this round I have only listened to every song 3 times. Anyway, here are the results for round 4:

Through to the next round :)

Participant: lonestar
Band – Song: Anciients – The Longest River

This is probably the darkest and heaviest song I have received in this Roulette so far, and given that the past few songs with growls all got eliminated, this was a quite risky pick. However, this song is brilliant. Very nice atmosphere, dark and sludgy sound, I liked this one a lot.

Participant: jingle.boy
Band – Song: ReVamp – The Anatomy of a Nervous Breakdown

Very nice track. Very jingle.boy-ish, in the sense that it reminds me of the first time I heard Flaming Row (which was the first round of my last roulette, the one you won). Very solid track with a very solid singer indeed. I’ll check this one out further.

Participant: Nihil-Morari
Band – Song: Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention – Echidna’s Arf (Of You)

Honestly, I kind of expected you to send me Frank Zappa earlier in the roulette, with you being the resident Zappa-person and all that. I have indeed heard some of his stuff before, but nothing much, as I never started checking out his stuff further. This is also a very daunting task, with the man having something like a hundred albums. Any idea where to start? Because I like what I’m hearing.

Participant: senecadawg2
Band – Song: Withem – Burned by Senses

Solid progressive metal, but not much more than that. It reminds me of all the great acts within contemporary progressive metal, but this band doesn’t really do anything new. I can appreciate the musicianship and the singer has a nice voice, but this song wasn’t anything special to me. If anything, they reminded me of Seventh Wonder, but with a slightly less capable vocalist. No bad song by any means, but as stated, nothing special to me either.

Almost eliminated ???

Participant: Dr. DTVT
Band – Song: Tiles – Cactus Valley

For this one, the same commentary I gave to the Withem song applies, only this song is not that good (in my opinion). It long and therefore overly repetitive with little interesting things going on. The song is paced slow, which in the context of the other songs of this round didn’t really help, but the slow pace, combined with little melodic or harmonic intricacies makes it quite a dull song. I also don’t like the singer’s nasal voice. Sorry, but I’m not really feeling this one.

Unfortunately eliminated :(

Participant: Scorpion
Band – Song: Native Construct – Passage

Apparently this album was only released about two weeks ago, but my first thoughts are: I don’t know. Maybe three listens isn’t enough to appreciate this one or to fully grasp what is going on, because there’s a lot of it in this track. And that’s this track’s problem: it’s a mess. I might regret saying this later, when/if I’ve listened to this band more thoroughly, but that was my initial thought. There’s no cohesion, everything seems jumbled together and it made for a very unpleasant listen. The growls turned me off as well, as they seemed to come out of nowhere in the context of the song. However, there’s a shitload of musicianship in there that I could hear, but for now, I’m going to have to eliminate you, because this track failed to prove itself to me in the limited time I have. If it’s any consolation to you; I will try and listen to this band some other time.

---

So there you have it. Sorry Scorpion, but you have been eliminated. The rest can send for round 5. I’ll try to get next round’s results in more quickly, if life lets me.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:49:46 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2015, 07:29:59 AM »
:'(

You should definitely not give up on that album, it needed a few listens to truly click with me.

Also, that Anciients track is brilliant. A deserving round winner, I should have sent that one.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2015, 07:41:42 AM »
Don't worry about the delay, bud. I hope everything is going well/better with you now. I certainly know how hard it can be to juggle everything, particularly when you're sick.   :heart

You're spot on about Withem, by the way. I rarely listen to them  :lol and I know it's odd for me to be sending songs that I'm not thrilled about myself, but I figured I'd take some risks in that regard
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2015, 09:17:39 AM »
Awesome, I'm still in it! Well, if you want a full Zappa treatment, head over to the Zappa thread. The question most asked with Zappa is 'well yeah, he seems like an interesting guy, but where the HELL do I start?'. If you can't find it and want a nice soothing playlist ( ;) ): Roxy & Elsewhere, Apostrophe, We're Only In It For The Money, Just Another Band From LA, etc. etc. etc.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2015, 10:27:23 AM »
Hmmm, the risk paid off. I was a bit nervous about the growls, but the overall structure of that song and album are just fucking mindblowing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2015, 06:38:28 AM »
Got all songs but jingle's and lonestar's. Results up soon after having those!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2015, 06:12:24 PM »
Got all songs but jingle's and lonestar's. Results up soon after having those!

Sent.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »
 :D
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2015, 12:21:02 AM »
I got jingle's entry today, so I'll try to get results up before the end of the week!
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »
Another week went by, and I finally have the results for round 5, here:

Participant: Dr. DTVT
Band – Song: Pyramid Theorem – Another Day Slips By

Very solid progressive metal song. Nice acoustic guitar intro (which isn’t that special), but it sets the mood quite well. This is progressive metal done by the books and this band pulls it off really well. I remember having heard something by this band before, and while other people would rave over it, it would leave me rather cold. This band has definitely improved and I found this song very enjoyable all the way through. It’s catchy, heavy at parts and the instrumental part fits in nicely with the rest of the song.

Participant: Nihil-Morari
Band – Song: Navarone - Time

From the description Nihil gave me, I thought I wouldn’t really like this track, but this turned out to be one of the better songs I received this round. I’ve heard of and seen this band’s name before, since they are from the Netherlands, but never bothered to check them out. This was a very good, solid rock tune. I really liked the singer’s voice and the unconventional song structure. There’s some very powerful song-writing in this track. This is definitely a band I will check out more from, thanks for enlightening me about some great music from our own country!

Participant: lonestar
Band – Song: Mind Key – The Seventh Seal

Italian band Mind Key delivers a song that’s very powerful, but also quite straight-forward. It’s like I’ve heard this song before, even though I’ve never heard of this band. Looking back through their past gigs, I saw that they have played ProgPower Europe, a festival I visit every year, in 2005 (before my time) and I could definitely see this band on that stage. Progressive power metal done well, but with nothing extraordinary going on either. Solid track, I might check out the full album if I find the time.

Almost eliminated ???

Participant: senecadawg2
Band – Song: Arcane – Selfsame

While not exactly bad, I didn’t really think there a lot enjoyable about this song either. It was a rather straight-forward ‘progressive’ metal song, with actually quite a lot of repetitive sections. The bit in the middle drags on way longer than to me the song doesn’t really feel like a whole, but more like the band just threw some musical ideas together and glued them using the same riffs over again. While this band may have potential, this song didn’t do it for me.

Participant: jingle.boy
Band – Song: White Lion – Lady of the Valley

This song actually isn’t bad at all and indeed contains some really cool guitar playing, but that singer’s voice turns me off so much that I pretty much cringe every time he sings. Unfortunately for this song, the parts where he sings are the parts where his voice is so dominant (and the rest of the music rather bland), that it’s quite difficult to turn your ears to something else. I agree with you, the guitar playing is nothing short of fantastic, but I couldn’t stand the singer’s voice – and since he’s such a big part of this band’s sound, I didn’t like this track as much as I could have. I really appreciate you having played in my roulette, even from a distance, but unfortunately, it ends here.

---

I realise that this roulette has been running way longer than it should and this is mostly due to my poor planning and the inconvenient moment at which I'm running this roulette. I'm sorry that it takes so long, but lately I haven't really found the time to regularly check the forums, or to listen to any music at all, so the time I do have, I spent doing other stuff. To compensate for this, I will only do TWO more rounds in this roulette. Next round will see the last person eliminated, and then the top 3 will enter a special Final Round.

Thanks for your patience and for not getting pissed at this taking so long.

Cheers!
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Elite's Roulette v3: Baffle Me - Round 5 Results!
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2015, 10:29:51 AM »
Cool! Thanks! Now I really need to think about my next track, I'm starting to run out of cool unknown bands.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2015, 10:49:05 AM »
I have the guitar solo from that Pyramid Theorem song as my phone's ringtone. Killer tune.

And sent!!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:09:27 PM by lonestar »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2015, 10:38:31 AM »
Thanks! Yours is the first and so far only one I received. Is the rest still playing?
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
Thanks! Yours is the first and so far only one I received. Is the rest still playing?

Searching right now!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »

I just got home from my trip. Any chance you still have the second song I sent you before I left? Or, remind me if I've forgortten- was the second artist not allowed? I believe I actually sent three... But let me know if it got lost in the pile and I'll make sure to send as soon as possible

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2015, 10:22:08 PM »
Sure, I can use that one! But if you want to send something else instead, since you sent those songs before your trip, that's fine with me as well.
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2015, 10:36:32 PM »
Nah... I'll use that one to get into the top 3  :D

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2015, 03:38:44 PM »
 :corn

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2015, 07:11:31 PM »
Use my second song too.  I'm on vacation.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2015, 03:57:54 AM »
I figured that already, thanks :) results tomorrow, I was in Berlin with my girlfriend this last weekend, so I couldn't post them then.
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2015, 03:46:22 PM »
Penultimate round results, as promised! (Is anyone still following this?)

Participant senecadawg2
Band – Song Sylvan – The Sound of Her World

Another band I have seen live before at the Night of the Prog festival in Germany, but never bothered to check out afterwards. The huge number of Sylvan shirts and hoodies at both occasions I saw them there told me that they must have some sort of fanbase and if this song is any indication as to how the rest of this band’s material sounds, I can understand why. Definitely something else from all other songs you have sent me and a very nice progressive rock song overall. I especially like the second half of the song, where the band experiments with some heavy use of Electronics during the choruses. The guitar breaks at the end are also really nice. Great song, thanks!

Participant Nihil-Morari
Band – Song Elbow – The Birds

I have heard of this band, but never actively listened to them before. I understand that this band has been around for over two decades, but only recently (as in the past years) gained some mainstream attention. Although not a genre I would usually listen to, this is actually quite a nice song that evolves nicely in the second half. Thanks!

Participant lonestar
Band – Song Transcend – Reign Over Me

Another case of ‘how the hell did you find this band’? Like with some of the other unknown bands you’ve sent, this band also has a lot of potential, but this song lacks a lot of stuff as well. The production is quite bad and the vocals leave a lot to be desired as they’re weak here and there. However, the instrumental work in this song more than makes up for this. This was probably instrumentally the most interesting song to listen to, so that makes it even more unfortunate that it suffers from poor production and not-so-good lead vocals. This album not being on Spotify makes it a pain in the ass however to listen to it more often, but I’ll try to get a listen of the full album in sometime. Thanks!

Participant Dr. DTVT
Band – Song Triosphere – Breathless

This isn’t bad by any means, but it fails to grab me as something special. This is a pretty generic power metal-ish song, with a nice unique selling point of having a female singer. Unfortunately, this is not enough to save you from elimination in the context of the other songs I received this round. Quite a nice song, but nothing special. I’ll put the band on my to-listen-to list, but for now this is the end for you. Thanks for your participation anyway!

---

THE FINAL ROUND

I’m sorry this has taken so long, but there is just one more round here, with a different submission system than in previous rounds. Every participant will have to send me a maximum of 20 minutes of music. This can be one song, it can be multiple tracks. The limit is 20 minutes, so I will have no more than 60 minutes of music to listen to. The participant that send in the best 20 minutes of music wins the roulette, easy as that.
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Elite's Roulette v3: Baffle Me - Let the Final Round begin!
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2015, 05:49:23 PM »
Awesome- glad you enjoyed it!

I'll send my final offering in a couple hours

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2015, 04:07:08 AM »
Oh man, that's a difficult one. I'm gonna send you such a random list of songs, you wouldn't know where to start. I'll look after it tomorrow!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »
I'll try and send tomorrow, today is quite a shitstorm.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2015, 07:41:36 AM »
Sent! A very modest 3 songs, totalling 19 minutes, 45 seconds.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »
Sent as well, three tracks.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »
Got all songs, commencing listening soon! Fun fact; everybody sent three songs, as if you guys planned it! :)
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2015, 01:05:15 PM »

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »

Rooting for RJ here btw.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2015, 12:05:15 PM »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #173 on: June 08, 2015, 12:51:45 PM »

Rooting for RJ here btw.

Give the underdogs a chance. I'm cheering for N-M

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »

Rooting for RJ here btw.

Give the underdogs a chance. I'm cheering for N-M

Aww thanks, right back at ya!

Honestly, I'm surprised how long I've lasted. I know next to no prog metal, which let's face it, is the genre Elite is the most interested in. I mean, I've sent a spoken word song, a couple of pop songs, and a number of old 70's smash flop hits.