Author Topic: Elite's Roulette v3: It's Over. - Final Results!  (Read 21143 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Elite's Roulette v3: Baffle Me - Round 2 Results! - Send Round 3.
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2015, 10:21:36 PM »
Just finished an insanely fucking busy Saturday night, and the only thing that was getting me through was the hopes of seeing some results. Thanks for letting me down bro. :'(

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2015, 09:58:17 AM »
 :corn

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2015, 11:03:54 AM »
It's only 7PM Lonestar!  ;)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2015, 11:11:45 AM »
It's only 7PM Lonestar!  ;)

8PM for me! And since I get up at 5AM every day, I'm going to sleep in an hour. Come on Elite!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2015, 02:26:18 PM »
I feel so cheated. :'(

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »
Why are you in such a hurry to get the boot?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Roulette v3: Baffle Me - Round 3 Results! Send Round 4.
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2015, 12:13:09 PM »
I’m sorry that these results are in later than I said they would be. Sometimes life can get in the way and that is exactly what happened last Saturday, when I planned to post the results initially, and yesterday, when things did not go as planned at all. Without going too deep into my personal struggles, I'm bringing you the results for round 3. This was without a doubt the most difficult round to rank so far as there weren't really any songs that stood out in a way they did in the previous two rounds. It was a really consistent round, which made the one different track stand out a lot. Here are the results and although I didn't want to kick anyone out this round, I had to since I set up those rules. Again ordered from ‘best’ to ‘worst’.

Through to the next round :)

Participant: Nihil-Morari
Band – Song: B. Dolan – Kate

I have found a huge fault in my ranking system, thanks to this ‘song’. Yes, that’s the word ‘song’ in quotation marks, because this track definitely pushes the boundaries of what can be considered music. So much so, that it almost became impossible to judge the other songs I received this round with this track in mind. Even though this is barely music – because, it is as Nihil-Morari described an ‘avant-garde hip-hop’ track. That basically comes down to spoken-word poetry/rap with soundscapes in the background. I honestly had no idea what to do with this description of the track and decided to just listen to it, in the same playlist I put the other songs in, but this track completely and utterly destroyed my ability to judge all other songs I received this round. I would almost disqualify this track for not being an actual song, if this had not floored me. I honestly can’t remember the last time I was listening to something so intensely and be completely taken away by it, only to be totally demolished by that particular moment in the song (I’m sure Nihil-Morari knows what I’m talking about). There is no real way to describe how I felt after listening to this track. It was the only song I received this round that became stuck in my head, for the sheer fact that I had no idea what was coming. This man’s voice took me away on a journey through his sad story and never let me go. This track is ridiculously powerful and I thank you for sending this. I honestly don’t know whether I would listen to more of his stuff, or maybe even this track, very often, but this was without a doubt the song with the most impact I have ever received in a roulette. Unbelievable, strange, beautiful, haunting and disturbing all at once. Wow.

Participant: Scorpion
Band – Song: Speaking to Stones - Water

Alright, this is just a solid progressive metal song with a very decent build-up and an amazing vocalist. I like the duality of the softer and heavier parts and I think the guitarist has an amazing tone all the way through. In fact, the whole song sounds very crisp and clear. Highlight for me is the guitar solo, which melodically moves through the different parts of the song, remaining interesting all the way through, while also a little flashy. This song’s chorus is nice to song along to, which is quite a feat if you listen to what’s going on in the background. On other tracks I have a lot to say, but here I don’t have much more than this. I would like to hear the full album, but I can’t find it anywhere without paying far too much for it. :(

Participant: Dr. DTVT
Band – Song: Exovex – Stolen Wings

This is without a doubt the song with the best build-up I received this round. Starting out rather slow and brooding, the song develops into a quite nifty progressive rock/metal piece. The singer's voice is reminiscent of something of a combination between Steven Wilson and Daniel Gildenlöw (or is that just me?) and his vocal lines are easily the highlight of the song for me. One of the longer songs I got in this round, but it didn't feel like that at all. I must ask though: how did you find this band?

Participant: lonestar
Band – Song: Shattered Skies – Aesthetics

Okay, this is just some pure quality progressive metal music. I have heard some of this band’s stuff before, due to them playing at ProgPower Europe, but the day they played is the only day in the past 6 years I wasn’t there (I would have seen them live, if not for family business). So again, I band I knew exists, but never checked out properly. This is a fairly recent track, as what I can recall of them was more djent-riffing oriented, which is not often something I am a fan of. This however, is compositionally great, with a nice build-up. On my first listen, the track was rather boring at the start, but subsequent listens made sure I enjoyed it more thoroughly. Very nice one!

Almost eliminated ???

Participant: senecadawg2
Band – Song: Orden Ogan – Nobody Leaves

One of two power metal songs I received this round and this is the longer one of the two. It's also more cheesy and it's frankly the worst song I received from seneca thus far :lol However, that’s not really saying much, because this song still rocks very much. Of the two power metal songs I got, this one was far better than the other one. It’s quite high-paced and therefore rather frantic, but it has its calmer moments as well. The different parts of the song are also very distinctive which is a big plus for songs in this genre. Overall I’d say the vocalist could be better as he simply sounds a little weak or raspy on some of the higher and louder notes. Overall a quite solid submission.

Participant: jingle.boy
Band – Song: Subsignal – Feeding Utopia

This song has some very interesting and unique parts. The main riff, combined with the keys is a joy to listen to and I absolutely adore the guitarist’s tone in this track (funny how one always tends to listen for his own instrument). What bugged me though was the vocalist in the chorus. This song has some splendid parts, namely the riffs, verses and solos, but the chorus isn’t all that interesting and actually drags the song down. That said though, the good parts more than make up for it, and the track as a whole sounds fresh, especially for a progressive metal piece. The dichotomy between the heavier parts and the verses with the electric drums is very nice and worked out well. Overall, I think this is a band that I will check out further, even though it had some bad parts, the good parts more than made up for it and barely saved you from elimination.

Unfortunately eliminated :(

I’m sorry to have to eliminate the both of you. I’m sure you could have sent me some more awesome music in future rounds, but the same thing applies to the other contestants. If there’s any more music you’d like to share, I’m always open for stuff!

Participant: Evermind
Band – Song: Serious Black – I Seek No Other Life

The other power metal song I received was considerably shorter, but paced at around the same speed as the other. This song has a very pronounced chorus, which is easily the highlight of the song (although the guitar solos are quite nice too, even though they sound rather standard. While really a solid song, there’s nothing in here that really lifts it to being a ‘great’ track, if you get what I mean. It feels like I’ve heard this before, but it was a fun submission regardless.
If I'm eliminated though, you suck for delaying this.
I’m sorry to eliminate you. This was not a matter of me disliking the song, but you had some strong competition this round.

Participant: Big Hath
Band – Song: Moon Safari – Yasgur’s Farm

This was some bad luck on your part I think. I got the song Heartland by the same band in a previous roulette and actually enjoyed that one a lot back then, but I never got to check Moon Safari out more. This song just didn’t do anything for me. After listening to all the songs in this round multiple times, it became very easy to pick out one contestant to eliminate, because I didn’t like the song. It sounds dull and became very boring to listen to quickly. I don’t exactly know why, it might be because of the other songs I received this round were all a little heavier than this one. Maybe I should just like this though, but it didn’t work for me at this time. I’m sorry.

---

I really feel like an asshole having to kick people out. Know that this is nothing personal and that I appreciated both of you playing in my roulette. The remaining contestant scan all start sending for round 4, of which the results will likely be posted next Monday or Tuesday.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
Orden Ogan gets through and my song gets me eliminated? As I said, you totally suck, man.  :rollin

Anyway, thanks for hosting.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »
Orden Ogan gets through and my song gets me eliminated? As I said, you totally suck, man.  :rollin

Anyway, thanks for hosting.

What's the deal with Orden Ogan? I had never heard of the band before. I can never do right :(
Thanks for playing! :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2015, 12:24:41 PM »
Nothing wrong, it's a solid band I guess, they just do nothing at all for me.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »
I have only heard that track from them. Maybe I will dislike everything else :lol
Power metal is a weird thing for me, I like the odd track here and there, but I can never listen to that stuff for too long.
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:34 PM »
Wow Rich, I knew I was taking a gamble, you could've easily said 'that's not a song, you're out', but to me it means a lot that you like it. I suggest you listen to the album that track is on. I love that record, it could very well be in my top 25 albums of all time, but I can't listen to it more often than once or twice a year, and with a bottle of whiskey not too far away  ;)
And yeah, 'that moment' It's comes in just as hard as the first track of Steven Wilson second Construct album (for people who know that one) but with the spoken word added it just floores me too.
Basically the rest of the album is a concept album, on how someone thinks he is the last living person on earth, and the only one he's got is a robot, just intelligent enough to keep him entertained. All sorts of stuff passes on this record, the life of Evil Knievel, a regular hiphop song or two, but mostly stories and story telling.

Anyway, I'll go find a song for round 4!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the song enough to keep me around, Rich! For what it's worth, I completely agree that it's the worst song I've submitted to you so far (in this roulette and your last). The way I see it though, that's more a testament to the other songs than a problem with this song.

::) 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »
Participant: jingle.boy
Band – Song: Subsignal – Feeding Utopia

Overall, I think this is a band that I will check out further, even though it had some bad parts, the good parts more than made up for it and barely saved you from elimination.

I really feel like an asshole having to kick people out.

So you should!   :lol

Participant: Nihil-Morari
Band – Song: B. Dolan – Kate

What the hell did I just listen to!?!?!  I don't mean that in a bad way... but I completely understand Rich's writeup now.

Scrop.... I too like the cut of your jib.  Well done sir.

Doc... not the song I would've chosen, but :tup album.  Rich, if you want some tasty guitar work, hit the latter half of the album.  Schwing-worthy stuff there.

And now that I've lulled you all into a false sense of security, it's time to lay the smack down.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2015, 05:09:37 PM »
That Subsignal song is boss.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2015, 07:51:40 PM »
That Subsignal song is boss.

If you ever got off your ass and ran a roulette, I suspect I'd do fairly well.

hint hint; nudge nudge; wink wink.

Oh, and sent btw.  See ya'll next round.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2015, 08:09:49 PM »
I really feel like an asshole having to kick people out.
Maybe for the next roulette (if you do another, I mean), you can consider keeping all players till the end :P

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2015, 09:16:49 PM »
I don't know if I'd put that song in my Subsignal top 5.  Not saying it's bad...just not the one that pops into my mind when I think of them.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2015, 09:38:23 PM »
I don't know if I'd put that song in my Subsignal top 5.  Not saying it's bad...just not the one that pops into my mind when I think of them.

Just curious, what would you say is their flagship song?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2015, 10:42:55 AM »
Sent.

As to  Shattered Skies, they're still mostly D'jent, that song is just a step outside the standard. Their new album is fucking solid throughout though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2015, 01:20:41 PM »
Sent.

As to  Shattered Skies, they're still mostly D'jent, that song is just a step outside the standard. Their new album is fucking solid throughout though.

I don't know what D'jent is or even how to pronounce it ... Shattered Skies is just some wicked heavy and crunchy music.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »
Djent, as in...

Good day, djentleman

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2015, 03:08:22 AM »
I have all songs, but NH's and Scorpion's!
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2015, 10:23:10 AM »

Still thinking about which one to send. You'll get my entry tonight.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2015, 09:10:28 AM »

Still thinking about which one to send. You'll get my entry tonight.

The night is long :)
Squ

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2015, 10:45:20 AM »
He might be in Iceland right now :P .

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2015, 07:21:35 AM »
I would have the results today, but I have yet to receive a song from Nihil-Morari. Here's me hoping he will send in quickly.
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2015, 02:28:40 PM »
I would have the results today, but I have yet to receive a song from Nihil-Morari. Here's me hoping he will send in quickly.

I already did! A couple of days ago.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2015, 03:21:49 PM »

I already did! A couple of days ago.

I never received your PM, perhaps you forgot to send or you accidentally sent it to the wrong person. I have it now, thanks :)
Squ

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2015, 03:48:18 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2015, 03:55:46 PM »
Speaking To Stones is awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2015, 07:48:37 PM »
I hope results are up before I leave on my road trip.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2015, 01:44:01 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand  :corn

Totally out of fucking popcorn man...  :(

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2015, 07:32:04 PM »
This pace makes me glad I'm eliminated. :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2015, 08:21:22 PM »
This pace makes me glad I'm eliminated. :lol