Author Topic: The Disney Thread v Live Action Remakes  (Read 7719 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: The Disney Thread v RIP Dean Jones
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2015, 04:52:40 AM »

Dean Jones passed away yesterday at age 84 due to complication to Parkinsons Disease.

He appeared in dozens and dozens of films in his Hollywood career that began in the 60's, including films like Clear and Present Danger and Beethoven. However, his career highlights were for his work for Disney. He really embraced the family friendly hallmark that he achieved as an actor. He is best known for his starring roles in The Love Bug movies, but some of my favorite Disney films that he was in also included Blackbeard's Ghost, That Darn Cat!, The Shaggy D.A., and The Ugly Dachshund.

My mom grew up watching his movies, and in turn, raised me with his flicks. When I think of classic Disney, Dean Jones is one of the first to pop into my head, along with Fess Parker and Annette Funicello. He was a true Disney Legend.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Disney Thread v R.I.P. Dean Jones
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2015, 05:22:00 AM »
RIP. The Love Bug is one of the funniest comedies ever made.

I grew up loving the Herbie films.

We don't mention the Lindsay Lohan "reboot".

Or as they call it in America - ReTrunk :neverusethis:

Offline Cable

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2015, 09:05:08 PM »
The Good Dinosaur.

I am a Disney-Pixar nut (should be other way around, Pixar saved Disney), so of course I saw this. It has some legitimate criticism, and what I read makes sense. On the other hand, the movie kept me tense all the way. It had, to me, many tear jerking moments, almost to build to a final climax. I thought the movie was great, and I really enjoyed the constant pace. Not top tier Pixar, but right under it for me.

Anyone else see it? Thoughts?

MINOR SPOILERS

I felt the theme of the movie fits right at home with Finding Nemo, Brave, and the Lion King. I still don't understand the greatness of Nemo when it comes to pulling at the heart, which is something TGD and Brave due much better than FN and LK.

The other main downfall is the derivative nature of the movie. I don't really fault the movie however, as Disney himself made a career on using adapted stories.
---

Offline Accelerando

Re: The Disney Thread v ZOOTOPIA
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2016, 11:18:20 PM »
I just came back from a screening of Zootopia, and it was absolutely fantastic. Incredibly original, smart, and visually stunning. There's a heavy message to this movie that I did not expect, and something I feel like is very, very valid to the here and now.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2016, 06:10:14 AM »
Will be seeing it today or tomorrow as part of my brother's birthday weekend. He is also very excited. Can't wait, been waiting for this movie for more than a year :caffeine:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2016, 12:47:39 PM »
What is it about? The only thing I know about it is that Jason Bateman was involved (because yesterday I watched a clip of him talking about the new 'Arrested Development', in an interview where he was promoting this 'Zootopia').

I figured, if Jason is involved, it might be good :P

Offline Lucien

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2016, 12:15:17 PM »
 :chill

This is for myself because I just saw Zootopia.

OH MY GOD HOLY SHIT THIS MOVIE WAS FUCKING AWES-

Be still, my heart. I can't handle myself right now. I was already really hyped, but this movie was better than I could have expected in every way. Currently, I like this movie better than The Force Awakens. Yeah. I'll need to see it a few more times. But I could not have been happier.

OH MY GOD THE CHARACTERS, CHARACTER DESIGN, DIALOGUE, VISUALS, EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

Getting high on chill pills, man.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »
I just came back from a screening of Zootopia, and it was absolutely fantastic. Incredibly original, smart, and visually stunning. There's a heavy message to this movie that I did not expect, and something I feel like is very, very valid to the here and now.

And yep, this is 100% accurate.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2016, 03:14:54 PM »
What is it about? The only thing I know about it is that Jason Bateman was involved (because yesterday I watched a clip of him talking about the new 'Arrested Development', in an interview where he was promoting this 'Zootopia').

I figured, if Jason is involved, it might be good :P

It's about a lot of things. Some would say it is about a cop who tries to prove she can be more than a meter maid and ends up on a case to find missing citizens of Zootopia while getting the help of a street smart Fox. Some would say it's about dealing with bias, discrimination, and sexism. It's an incredible film, and in the new Golden Age of Disney animation where we have great flicks like Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, and Big Hero 6 (.....and then there's Frozen...), Zootopia is The Lion King of them all.

Given the current political, social, and cultural environment that this film is being released in, it brings me hope that these topics will spur a positive conversation of change by those who are young and old in our own society.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2016, 08:11:15 AM »
Highly interested in this. Eager to see how it stacks up with last year's best (Inside Out).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2016, 06:42:53 AM »
Is it really preachy? If it's anything like Happy Feet I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Offline Cable

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »
I guess I will be going to see it. Not that I was going to avoid, just seeing movies single is more of a chore for me for some reason. It looked hilarious in the trailer I saw, and the reviews here and Rotten are top notch.

I pretty much contend that Disney proper animated flicks are better than Pixar ones. Not that there is a need for a separation anymore.
---

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2016, 06:58:02 AM »
The Good Dinosaur.

I am a Disney-Pixar nut (should be other way around, Pixar saved Disney), so of course I saw this. It has some legitimate criticism, and what I read makes sense. On the other hand, the movie kept me tense all the way. It had, to me, many tear jerking moments, almost to build to a final climax. I thought the movie was great, and I really enjoyed the constant pace. Not top tier Pixar, but right under it for me.

Anyone else see it? Thoughts?

MINOR SPOILERS

I felt the theme of the movie fits right at home with Finding Nemo, Brave, and the Lion King. I still don't understand the greatness of Nemo when it comes to pulling at the heart, which is something TGD and Brave due much better than FN and LK.

The other main downfall is the derivative nature of the movie. I don't really fault the movie however, as Disney himself made a career on using adapted stories.

We finally got around to watching this over the weekend. Good, not great pixar. The animation was AMAZING but the story wasn't fantastic.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 10:28:04 PM »
So I've seen Zootopia three times now. I really just can't get over what an amazing feat of filmmaking this movie is. And I still think it deserves a PG-13 rating instead of PG. If those wounds bled just a bit more, maybe...

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2016, 11:42:13 PM »
Zootopia without question is the best film in this resurgence of Disney Animation that was started with Tangled. There really hasn't been a bad animated Disney film from WDAS since. Even Frozen, which I despise because of it's undeserved phenomenon, is a good movie.

I'd rank them as follows

1. Zootopia
2. Wreck It Ralph
3. Tangled
4. Big Hero 6
5. Frozen
6. Winnie The Pooh

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2016, 02:30:14 AM »
Watched it last weekend (it's called Zootropolis here) with the kids, and came away really impressed. The animation was fantastic, but the story was really engaging as well. I thought the whole detective "who done it" story line was great, and really refreshing.

It definitely clicked for me more than Wreck It Ralph or Big Hero 6. The visuals in both of those were undeniably good, but there was just some missing ingredient to those movies that stopped them short of being great.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2016, 03:11:10 AM »
Both of those movies, while being fantastic as well, had a sort of lack of seriousness to a great portion of their screen time. Zootopia, while very funny often, felt REAL, as if we were actually living in a world where humans never happened and animals just evolved to become like humans.

SPOILERS

Moments like Bogo's "Let it go" scene, the encounter with Gideon, and the encounter with Manchas, Cliffside, and the press conference scene really solidified the seriousness of the film, and those are all some of my favorite moments. Not to mention the finale with "breaking baa-d" and "fear ALWAYS works", my God.

And these characters are all so fantastically intelligent it's hard not to love them. Especially with Judy's "It's called a hustle" scene with its reprise in the "Probable cause" scene, plus all the "A-hah!" moments Judy and Nick have together, plus basically every time Nick talks.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:17:57 AM by Lucien »

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2016, 04:36:37 AM »
Both of those movies, while being fantastic as well, had a sort of lack of seriousness to a great portion of their screen time. Zootopia, while very funny often, felt REAL, as if we were actually living in a world where humans never happened and animals just evolved to become like humans.

SPOILERS

Moments like Bogo's "Let it go" scene, the encounter with Gideon, and the encounter with Manchas, Cliffside, and the press conference scene really solidified the seriousness of the film, and those are all some of my favorite moments. Not to mention the finale with "breaking baa-d" and "fear ALWAYS works", my God.

And these characters are all so fantastically intelligent it's hard not to love them. Especially with Judy's "It's called a hustle" scene with its reprise in the "Probable cause" scene, plus all the "A-hah!" moments Judy and Nick have together, plus basically every time Nick talks.

Yes - I think the fact that the characters were so well fleshed out and identifiable meant that you didn't notice (and it didn't really matter) that they were animals. I think that's one of the things that makes the Toy Story series so great - the characters are all grounded in human emotions and motivations. The fact that they are toys is secondary. I see John Lasseter was an executive producer on this one, so I think you can see some of his influence.

Oh and Jason Bateman was the perfect choice for Nick.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2016, 08:04:56 AM »
Zootopia without question is the best film in this resurgence of Disney Animation that was started with Tangled. There really hasn't been a bad animated Disney film from WDAS since.

Wow, that is high praise indeed.  What is it about it in particular that makes it so good?  (I haven't seen it yet, so I'm curious)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lucien

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2016, 02:20:39 PM »
Zootopia without question is the best film in this resurgence of Disney Animation that was started with Tangled. There really hasn't been a bad animated Disney film from WDAS since.

Wow, that is high praise indeed.  What is it about it in particular that makes it so good?  (I haven't seen it yet, so I'm curious)

It's just so brilliantly written and fleshed out. And also darker and edgier than most Disney films of this age, but still accessible to kids (even if they might get startled/scared a couple of times). It also has this underlying social commentary which is handled absolutely fantastically, with a message very relevant today.

Everyone ought to see this film. This isn't a "kids movie" as so many detractors of Disney like to say. It is really a movie for all ages; EVERYONE can appreciate this film, and we are. Hard.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2016, 06:00:49 AM »
Aaaand I saw it a fourth time. This one had to do with the music. All the themes that are connected... "hustler", "dreamer", "not a real cop" "investigate", and "revelation", all these little themes that appear several times throughout the movie really make you appreciate the movie more.

Still JUST as amazing as it was upon the first viewing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2016, 07:27:10 PM »
Saw it today. What an amazing world they created. There are countless stories that could be told in Zootopia.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2016, 01:36:05 PM »
The teaser trailer for Beauty and the Beast has been released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c38r-SAnTWM

It doesn't reveal much, as a teaser should, but anyone who grew up with this movie will get chills from the musical crescendo in the beginning of the trailer, which was a nice touch. If I am correct, we will be getting a straightforward remake, with all your favorite songs plus a few from the Broadway show that wasn't in the movie.

I wasn't a fan of Alice in Wonderland or Maleficent, but Disney has been knocking these remakes out of the park with Cinderella and the recently released The Jungle Book. I am looking forward to Beauty and the Beast....although I still say Anna Kendrick should have been casted as Belle

Offline Accelerando

Re: The Disney Thread v Live Action Remakes
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2016, 05:43:58 PM »
The Mary Poppins SEQUEL, "Mary Poppins Returns", will be released December 2018, starring Emily Blunt as Mary and Lin-Manuel Miranda as a new character named Jack, with Rob Marshall (Chicago, Into The Woods) directing.

The only thing that gives me pause, because I think Emily Blunt is perfect casting and I like Rob Marshall....is Lin-Manuel. I'm open to the hip-hop musicals that he's done like "Hamilton" and "In The Heights", but I wonder if it's aesthetically doable for Mary Poppins.

I also wonder if the last living Sherman Brother will contribute anything with the music.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2016, 09:04:33 PM »
And just like the first live action Alice In Wonderland, Alice Through The Looking Glass is a big stinking pile of turd. Glad I saw this on a free movie ticket.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2016, 01:25:44 PM »
Finding Dory was wonderful! Pixar has done it again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2016, 02:41:37 PM »
And just like the first live action Alice In Wonderland, Alice Through The Looking Glass is a big stinking pile of turd. Glad I saw this on a free movie ticket.

It's flop #34 for Johnny Depp !!!!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2016, 10:28:36 PM »
Just came back from Moana, and it's one of the best pictures from the Walt Disney Animation Studios in this new renaissance era

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2016, 01:30:50 AM »
I need to see Zootopia and Moana. I've heard great things about both!

Apparently, they have fantastic soundtracks as well.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »
I need to see Zootopia and Moana. I've heard great things about both!

Apparently, they have fantastic soundtracks as well.

Can't speak for the Moana soundtrack because I haven't seen the movie, but the Zootopia soundtrack is to die for.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2016, 01:05:33 PM »
My mom took my nieces and she said Moana is really good.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD