Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 117614 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Bryan Adams)
« Reply #840 on: June 05, 2015, 08:17:41 AM »
I haven't listened to anything of his in ages but I think I preferred Into The Fire , which was where my interest ended.  In any case Reckless and the albums from around this era were all quality rock and his offsider Keith Scott is a tasteful player.

I was let down by Reckless after loving this album. Still love it. Run To You is great and has some personal memory stuff attached too. A greatest hits album really.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: June 05, 2015, 09:23:09 AM »
Oh man... absolutely awesome album.  Summer of '69, Heaven, Run to You, and It's only Love were my favorites.  I played my first six until my fingers bled too... wish I still had that much time to play.

I will say though, that Into the Fire carried my all-time favorite Bryan Adams song... Heat of the Night.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #842 on: June 05, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: June 05, 2015, 02:32:28 PM »
Amazing album !

I do love Bryan Adams and have done since WUTN in 1991 - which some people say is inferior to Reckless but I owned so many copies of WUTN :D

Keith Scott is a fantastic lead guitarist & Bry's voice is awesome.

Kids Wanna Rock  :metal

I was a bit disappointed that every album since WUTN has been gradually softer and shorter but BA isn't immune to the advances of time I suppose.

18 Til I Die is a weird album, but has some corkers on and On A Day Like Today is great. Room Service and 11 are patchy but decent :)

And I don't care about his new covers album :P

Oh and I always preferred BA to Bon Jovi and Aerosmith etc.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: June 05, 2015, 02:37:20 PM »
never mind.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:01:52 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Talking Heads)
« Reply #845 on: June 06, 2015, 07:38:33 AM »

Despite being an 80s guy, I never heard this entire album until somewhere around the mid 00s, and when I do, it knocked my socks off.  "Once in a Lifetime," the hit, was the only song I knew from it, and while that song is great, every other song is fantastic as well; the consistency of this record is staggering.  The rhythms and beats they use on this album are so damn great.  This is one of those albums that was definitely ahead of its time.  I know Talking Heads aren't everyone's cup of tea, but take 40 minutes out of your day some time and listen to Remain in Light; you'll be glad you did.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #846 on: June 06, 2015, 07:39:58 AM »
I really wished I liked the Talking Heads more. Once In A Lifetime was outstanding.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #847 on: June 06, 2015, 07:45:21 AM »
As much as I liked the song, I never got into their music or albums.  I would make a greatest hits for myself if I knew of a friend that had their CD's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #848 on: June 06, 2015, 07:48:45 AM »
Talking Heads made some good music, including this album, but a lot of the time I had the impression that they weren't sounding weird because that was their natural expression, but they were being weird for the sake of being weird.  I dunno, but I was never able to get into them very much.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #849 on: June 06, 2015, 07:53:21 AM »
I used to think that, too, hef, the being weird for the sake of being weird thing, but I changed my tune once I heard all of their core albums.  There was a method to their madness. And seeing David Byrne as a solo artist back in '08 was great; people were literally dancing in the aisles to Burning Down the House. :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: June 06, 2015, 07:55:32 AM »
He is a weird dude though.  Really weird.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #851 on: June 06, 2015, 08:18:25 AM »
Genius album. Side A with Born Under Punches, Crosseyed and, especially, Great Curve is superb. Then, you have one of the best Talking Head songs with Once in a Lifetime.

Seriously, this is one of the best albums to appear in this thread so far imo.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: June 06, 2015, 08:35:06 AM »
I couldn't have named a Talking Heads song before I read this just now , but after trying a couple of songs (Once In A lifetime rang a bell)  I can safely say they don't resonate with me at all.   One of the few albums mentioned in this thread where I would say that though......
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: June 06, 2015, 08:37:55 AM »
The only TH song I know is Once In A Lifetime :p 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #854 on: June 06, 2015, 09:55:42 PM »
To me, Remain In Light is a prog album. I believe it was the driving influence for King Crimson's great comeback album, Discipline.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #855 on: June 07, 2015, 06:58:55 AM »
To me, Remain In Light is a prog album. I believe it was the driving influence for King Crimson's great comeback album, Discipline.
That's interesting. I have no doubt that you are right.

I rented Discipline from the library a few years back and couldn't get through Elephant Talk. I brought it back a half hour later! :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #856 on: June 07, 2015, 06:44:32 PM »
That's interesting. I have no doubt that you are right.

I rented Discipline from the library a few years back and couldn't get through Elephant Talk. I brought it back a half hour later! :lol

:lol I actually played Elephant Talk for my wife to let her hear the lyrics, which I find to be wonderfully creative. She could barely sit through it, all the time giving me this look like "why?"   That said, you should've given the rest of the album a chance  :)

Certainly there's a great similarity between Belew and Byrne in their neurotic-sounding vocal style.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #857 on: June 07, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »
Elephant Talk creative? Elephant Talk Talk Talk Talk..
Should I use 6 Talks or 7 Talks here?

Yup, I can see how that would be maddeningly creative!  :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #858 on: June 07, 2015, 06:50:49 PM »
Well, give it another listen. The lyric is a wonderful play on words.  :) And I love Adrian Belew imitating elephant sounds with his guitar.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #859 on: June 07, 2015, 06:52:08 PM »
OK. Tomorrow after work.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #860 on: June 08, 2015, 01:47:33 AM »
Brilliant album. The rhythms, production, everything makes for a classic 80's album. Great dance record as well.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #861 on: June 08, 2015, 08:17:55 AM »
I love the rhythms in Discipline, as well as in Remain in Light.  I understand the immediate turn-off one might get from Elephant Talk, but really there is a lot of great music on that album.  Back to Talking Heads, I get the impression there's not a lot of for them on DTF.  Remain in Light is one heck of a great album.  Around the same time period David Bynre and Brian Eno released My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, which is a very odd sounding album, but an interesting listen and I think ground-breaking at the time.
- Ronzoni -

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #862 on: June 08, 2015, 08:29:41 AM »
Really love Remain In Light but believe it or not I actually prefer Discipline over it.  :eek

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #863 on: June 08, 2015, 09:54:02 AM »
I have never owned or listened to an entire Talking Heads album.  But no good reason why not.  I have really liked everything I have ever heard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #864 on: June 08, 2015, 01:20:38 PM »
Not one for me to comment on. Never heard it and only know Once In A Lifetime by them . Decent song but like the Tears For Fears, don't think it will be anything I would be interested in.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #865 on: June 08, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
He is a weird dude though.  Really weird.

He definitely is. :lol

Seriously, this is one of the best albums to appear in this thread so far imo.

Preach it! :coolio :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: ZZ Top)
« Reply #866 on: June 09, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »

I suspect a lot of rock purists wretched when this came out, seeing the blues rock band suddenly awash in synthesizers and drum machines, but they managed to create a monster album, with a handful of classic tunes. "Gimme All Your Lovin'" was the first ZZ Top song I ever heard, on MTV of course, and it remains probably the songs of theirs I revisit the most.  MTV was very kind to ZZ Top, whose main three videos from this record all featured the red ZZ Eliminator car and the ZZ Top girls.  I was never overly wild about "Sharp Dressed Man" or the less-heralded "TV Dinners," but "Gimme All Your Lovin'" and "Legs" were and are both still great. "Got Me Under Pressure" was a smoking rocker, too.  I don't really remember the deep cuts very well, but regardless, Eliminator is a classic 80s record.

:hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #867 on: June 09, 2015, 04:19:46 PM »
I only know the hits (and had forgotten all about TV Dinners until you mentioned it.  :lol ).  But the hits and videos from this album were iconic. 

We cover Sharp Dressed Man in my covers band.  Fun little tune to do live, and a few interesting little intricacies that I would not have picked up on from just casually listening to them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #868 on: June 09, 2015, 04:21:35 PM »
Definitely an 80's classic. Man, MTV played the shit out of those videos.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #869 on: June 09, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »
The sound definitely changed from their blues beginnings, but it was forgivable given the awesome songs that resulted.  What a great album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #870 on: June 09, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »
A great album. I'd never heard them before this and didn't like much after but this one hit the spot. The videos helped but that tone!
Not a filler in sight either.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: June 09, 2015, 04:37:32 PM »
Casual fan of ZZ Top, but I enjoy all their songs when I hear them

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: June 09, 2015, 05:20:00 PM »
My friend had a funny theory that this album is really one song.  You the play the album at normal speed and it "Gimme All Your Lovin"".  Play it in reverse and it's "Sharp Dressed Man".  Play it on it's side and it's "Legs". :lol

Ect. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: June 09, 2015, 06:16:14 PM »
Casual fan of ZZ Top, but I enjoy all their songs when I hear them

And responsible for one of the flattest gigs I've ever seen.  I can't even remember what year - all I remember is looking across at the guy (biker) next to me around halfway through and he was sitting down - like almost everyone- having a snooze.  They didn't say anything other than perhaps the odd song name - just played their stuff and walked off.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #874 on: June 09, 2015, 06:27:11 PM »
How come the guy named Beard doesn't have one?