Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 117580 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Whitesnake)
« Reply #805 on: June 03, 2015, 06:55:08 PM »
But I wouldn't classify either band as Hair Metal, though the Whitesnake videos might beg to differ. A band consisting of Coverdale, Sykes, Murray, and Dunbar are anything but Hair Metal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #806 on: June 03, 2015, 08:41:42 PM »
True, but they had the same look (big hair, that looked like it was drenched in Aqua Net :lol) as other hair metal bands of the later 80s. 

I was also a fan of the Coverdale/Page CD.  Pride and Joy, Over Now and Take Me for a Little While are all killer tunes.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #807 on: June 03, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »
Then Aldridge joined the band and upped the hair quotient exponentially.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #808 on: June 03, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
But I wouldn't classify either band as Hair Metal, though the Whitesnake videos might beg to differ. A band consisting of Coverdale, Sykes, Murray, and Dunbar are anything but Hair Metal.

I agree especially in the case of GNR. They were just raw hard rock that still sounds timeless today, and only went with the hair metal image very briefly on maybe the first music video.
Whitesnake 1987 was much more hair metal inspired, but Here I Go Again and Crying in the Rain were re-records of earlier songs, and while they sound the part on 1987, the original songs are bluesy rock, so the arrangements and production play a part there. But overall it's in line with other hair metal in most ways. Nothing at all wrong with that. ;)

Not a big fan of anything Vai, but Coverdale/Page was great.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #809 on: June 04, 2015, 05:49:54 AM »
Probably just splitting..umm..hairs here.

This album was brilliantly marketed, riding the wave of the Hair Metal movement. And a track like Is This Love fit perfectly, especially with that video. They certainly teased their hair like no others. They definitely jumped on the look.
I'm just maintaining that the music on that album really has nothing to do with Hair Metal.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #810 on: June 04, 2015, 05:57:17 AM »
Every band was influenced by the look though.  Then Tesla came along and the look changed again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #811 on: June 04, 2015, 06:13:13 AM »
No doubt!
I actually had this poster:

Aldridge, are you f'n kidding me?? and put a shirt on Old Man!

And who's that in the middle? "Caitlyn" Sarzo?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: June 04, 2015, 06:22:56 AM »
I'm surprised at the love for Coverdale/Page.   I bought it with a big positive bias (as a huge Whitesnake fan) and my memory is of struggling to even get through one play.......presumably I thought it was awful.   I'll have to revisit it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #813 on: June 04, 2015, 06:26:17 AM »
I'm surprised at the love for Coverdale/Page.   I bought it with a big positive bias (as a huge Whitesnake fan) and my memory is of struggling to even get through one play.......presumably I thought it was awful.   I'll have to revisit it.

I didn't think anything of it on first listen either, but I really liked it after a few listens to get used to it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: June 04, 2015, 06:28:39 AM »
It's been a long time since I listened to C/P and the Plant/Page album.  I'll add the 80's know offs with Kingdom Come and Bonham's solo band as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #815 on: June 04, 2015, 06:42:54 AM »
Not a big fan of anything Vai

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

Also, yeah, C/P takes a few listens, and then it's like "Oh yeah, why haven't I listened to this more often?"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #816 on: June 04, 2015, 06:46:03 AM »
There's certainly nothing iconic on it, but I thought it was pretty solid. Nice to have Page playing hard rock again, for sure. He seemed into it. So much better than The Firm. My favorite was Whisper A Prayer For The Dying.
I think there is some filler, but it was decent enough.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #817 on: June 04, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
I was only a kid...but I thought Shake My Tree was awesome!   I seem to remember that I really liked most of the songs from that album, I was just mostly into different things at that time in my life.   I think it came out when I was at the peak of my thrash metal phase. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: June 04, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »
True, but they had the same look (big hair, that looked like it was drenched in Aqua Net :lol) as other hair metal bands of the later 80s. 

I was also a fan of the Coverdale/Page CD.  Pride and Joy, Over Now and Take Me for a Little While are all killer tunes.

I guess I considered Whitesnake hair-metal; honestly I'm not sure.  Looking back on it, I listened to bands like Def Leppard, Winger (yeah, yeah, yeah... Pull was my favorite of theirs), FireHouse, Skid Row (first album was hair-metal; from there on, straight up metal to me), Bon Jovi , etc.  Whitesnake may have been the least hair-metal of the bunch (for me anyway).  Skid Row will likely always be my favorite of that time period and type of metal though.

Personally, my musical horizions expanded quite a bit in 90 (I was 10) when I heard Empire by Queensryche and then in 92 when I heard I&W.  I also got into Al Green and Jimmy Hendricks in the early 90's.  The 90's were a great musical decade for me honestly!

I do vaguely remember Coverdale/Page... I'm going to look that up and listen to it.  I'm sure I'd enjoy it being that I'm a big Zeppelin fan.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #819 on: June 04, 2015, 10:29:51 AM »
There is no shame in liking Winger.  No matter what TAC says.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #820 on: June 04, 2015, 10:31:29 AM »
 :lol
Shame on you vtgrad.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: June 04, 2015, 11:44:30 AM »
No doubt!
I actually had this poster:

Aldridge, are you f'n kidding me?? and put a shirt on Old Man!

And who's that in the middle? "Caitlyn" Sarzo?

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: June 04, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
Shame on you vtgrad.

Oh, I've had to endure shame ever since Stewart first appeared on Beavis and Butthead.  You can't tell me that you don't secretly like Like a Ritual, Spell I'm Under, Lucky One, No Man's Land, or Blind Revolution Mad (I basically just named the entire Pull album :biggrin:).... I bet you'd even like Rainbow in the Rose if you listen closely to what Reb is doing.  He's an underrated talent in my opinion... who has, coincidentally, broken pics with Whitesnake.

There, I brought the discussion full circle.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #823 on: June 04, 2015, 01:27:47 PM »
I really cannot get on board with the loathing of Seventeen.  It isn't like we couldn't all relate to the underlying message at some point in our lives.  I play that song with unsurprising regularity.  And when I do, everybody else in traffic gets the pleasure of revisiting it as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #824 on: June 04, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
That's really not appropriate.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #825 on: June 04, 2015, 01:43:08 PM »
It isn't appropriate that the other people in traffic weren't already listening to it.  Not only do most of them suck at driving, they apparently suck at music also.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #826 on: June 04, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
:lol  I just never liked the song, period.  And I was 18 (or maybe 19) when it came out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #827 on: June 04, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »
I really cannot get on board with the loathing of Seventeen.  It isn't like we couldn't all relate to the underlying message at some point in our lives.  I play that song with unsurprising regularity.  And when I do, everybody else in traffic gets the pleasure of revisiting it as well.
Well, this, pretty much.

But really, most of their songs are pretty good.  They were awesome musicians who wrote interesting music, with a good singer and a great guitar solos. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #828 on: June 04, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »
Hef hath spoken.

/thread

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #829 on: June 04, 2015, 02:22:38 PM »
But the bands that REALLY rocked were Tyketto and Roxy Blue.  Just sayin'.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #830 on: June 04, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »
:metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #831 on: June 04, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »
I was gonna ask how the hell this discussion turned to talking about Winger, but since they have zero chance of having an album featured in this thread, have at it. :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Iron Maiden)
« Reply #832 on: June 04, 2015, 06:36:43 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Bryan Adams)
« Reply #833 on: June 04, 2015, 08:09:09 PM »

I never realized it at the time, but this record was loaded with almost nothing but major hits.  This was back when he could still rock a little bit, and most of the hits from this did rock pretty good.  "Run to You" remains by far my favorite Bryan Adams song to date; I never tire of that song.  I have to admit I have never heard the few deep cuts from this album, but Reckless is nonetheless a classic record.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: June 04, 2015, 08:12:54 PM »
I haven't listened to anything of his in ages but I think I preferred Into The Fire , which was where my interest ended.  In any case Reckless and the albums from around this era were all quality rock and his offsider Keith Scott is a tasteful player.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: June 04, 2015, 08:20:19 PM »
My god this was a monster album.  Still, no nonsense, fun hard rocking tunes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #836 on: June 04, 2015, 11:41:01 PM »
I never realized it at the time, but this record was loaded with almost nothing but major hits.   

Very true.  This album was impossible to avoid.  The many hits were played constantly.  But while I did not dislike them, I never grew to like them either.  This was another accidental Columbia House acquisition.  But unlike the other one mentioned in this thread, this one did not end up clicking with me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #837 on: June 05, 2015, 12:27:05 AM »
Very good rocking album, full of great songs and not a single filler tune. My favorite album from him.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #838 on: June 05, 2015, 07:17:34 AM »
Fantastic album from a great songwriter.  Pretty much all killer, no filler with this one.

TAC will probably not like it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: June 05, 2015, 07:18:43 AM »