Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 117573 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Sammy Hagar)
« Reply #735 on: May 31, 2015, 12:11:56 PM »
So, is the tide turning then?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #736 on: May 31, 2015, 12:42:24 PM »
That's a silly reason, and one that is untrue.  Many of the albums I have featured in this thread so far have been not prog at all, yet it's not turning into a bash session.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #737 on: May 31, 2015, 12:42:59 PM »
I was in the uk and I knew who Hagar was before he joined VH. not that his music was played on the radio here because I'm  sure it wasn't. Can' t remember when I first heard of him but it may have been the Heavy Metal film.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #738 on: May 31, 2015, 12:49:53 PM »
That's a silly reason, and one that is untrue.  Many of the albums I have featured in this thread so far have been not prog at all, yet it's not turning into a bash session.

Yes that's true. But I've just always seen grunge get a special level of hate. Obviously, things have come around.

As for me, I'm just too close to it, and tend to be a bit of a hipster on that particular genre.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #739 on: May 31, 2015, 12:58:52 PM »
Grunge is not the only style that came out in the 90's and there is some great grunge albums to boot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #740 on: May 31, 2015, 01:01:13 PM »
I never claimed it was the ONLY thing. It was simply the dominating trend.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: May 31, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »
Just to list some of my favorite grunge bands,

Soundgarden
Dishwalla
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Days Of the New
Smashing Pumpkins
STP
Candlebox
Silverchair

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #742 on: May 31, 2015, 02:46:27 PM »
Grunge is not the only style that came out in the 90's and there is some great grunge albums to boot.
Wut? :lol

King..start a Classic 90's album thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: May 31, 2015, 02:53:05 PM »
Come on now Tim.  Each decade has great music and some shit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #744 on: May 31, 2015, 02:54:09 PM »
The 90's had some great shit and some music. :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: May 31, 2015, 03:14:42 PM »
See!  You were just too high to remember. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #746 on: May 31, 2015, 11:03:53 PM »
My cousin who is 44 and grew up in the Bay Area just told me that Rock Candy and Bad Motor Scooter were constantly on the radio down there...though he did say he always thought they were Hagar songs. He wouldn't discover that they were actually Montrose tracks til later.

Well, keep in mind that Montrose was a Bay Area band.  But even with that being the case, I can tell you that "constantly" is WAY overstating the case.  Montrose got a fair amount of play.  So did Sammy.  But not as much as you would expect a local band to get.  And, yes, I grew up in the Bay Area listening to KOME, KRQR, KSJO and the like (heck, I even remember when KMEL was a rock station--I doubt your 44 year old cousin's memory reaches back that far), so I say what I say from experience.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: May 31, 2015, 11:06:27 PM »
The 90's had some great shit and some music. :D

:lol

And I want to see The King's best of 90's grunge thread - there's plenty of hotspot areas in the world at the moment that could start World War III but this could just beat them all to the punch  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: June 01, 2015, 05:24:31 AM »

Guys, guys!  Grunge isn't the only music to come out of the 80's! :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #749 on: June 01, 2015, 07:46:36 AM »
Sammy's solo stuff is some of my favorite.  Rock Candy is a bad ass riff, without question.  In my opinion, Two Sides of Love, from VOA, is one of the most outstanding things Hagar ever recorded.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #750 on: June 01, 2015, 11:51:08 AM »

Soundgarden
Dishwalla
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Days Of the New
Smashing Pumpkins
STP
Candlebox
Silverchair
No Mudhoney?  :tdwn 

Also,I'm seeing them live tomorrow.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #751 on: June 01, 2015, 12:03:31 PM »

You're right. There was also Sludge. :D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: June 01, 2015, 12:08:26 PM »
I will so tank your roulette just to send you bands you hate and I will love having you listen to them. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: June 01, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »

Soundgarden
Dishwalla
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Days Of the New
Smashing Pumpkins
STP
Candlebox
Silverchair
No Mudhoney?  :tdwn 

Also,I'm seeing them live tomorrow.  :metal

Never was a fan.  sorry!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #754 on: June 01, 2015, 12:59:26 PM »

You're right. There was also Sludge. :D
SHOEGAZE BEATS THEM ALL

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: INXS)
« Reply #755 on: June 01, 2015, 01:58:23 PM »

For pretty much all of 1988 and much of 1989, prior to my introduction to classic rock, ask me what my all-time favorite record was and the answer would have quickly been: Kick by INXS.  I pretty much wore out my cassette of it with non-stop listens for that nearly 2-year span.  Not only were the many hits all great, but the deep cuts slayed me as well.  Listening to it again today, it is still just fantastic from start to finish; every song is a major winner.  It's hard to believe that this record is now 28 years old :eek :eek, and even harder to believe that I can still recite "Mediate" word for word. :lol :lol  My interest in INXS pretty much began and ended with this record, although there are songs on other albums I like, but oh man, what a record.  It is a great blend of pop and rock.  "Need You Tonight" was, at the time, my favorite song of 1987, which was saying a lot considering how much new music I heard that year, and back to those deep cuts, "The Loved One," "Tiny Daggers" and "Calling All Nations" are all as enjoyable to me still as anything else from this record.  Honestly, I could not listen to this for years, and then turn it on and still know every single word to every song.  That is how deep into my brain this record is embedded. :hat

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: June 01, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »
Man they took over the world with this album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #757 on: June 01, 2015, 02:10:08 PM »
Never really cared for these guys, this album included.  Nothing wrong with it, but I just never really liked it either.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #758 on: June 01, 2015, 02:11:14 PM »
Obviously INXS were never part of my playlists, but I always respected them as a band. I never heard a song by them and thought, man they suck. Michael Hutchence was a fantastic frontman, and his loss was a big one to the music world.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: June 01, 2015, 02:13:11 PM »
I really liked them and their rocking side was real good.  It c was this album that had them going into a dance styled music which turned me off after this album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: June 01, 2015, 07:28:05 PM »
I have mixed feelings about INXS - on one hand it was good to see local bands like them break big but on the other hand (as an Aussie) I suffered from massive over exposure to them on radio and TV.

I like some of their stuff .......Burn For You was a big fave when I was really young and also the more orchestrated stuff such as Never Tear Us Apart.   But most of the songs with the sorta funky clean guitar (Need You Tonight and , especially, Suicide Blonde) I found irritating.

Michael Hutchence was a great front man in any case.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: June 01, 2015, 08:01:25 PM »
I can't stand INXS personally.  As Brent said the over exposure over here is just too much.

To me, their songwriting was too repetitive.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #762 on: June 02, 2015, 08:05:04 AM »
I loved INXS.  They were a great band, and this album in particular was outstanding.

I liked them so much I even watched that TV show Rocstar INXS where they found a new lead singer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: June 02, 2015, 08:10:22 AM »
I loved INXS.  They were a great band, and this album in particular was outstanding.

I liked them so much I even watched that TV show Rocstar INXS where they found a new lead singer.

Too bad that guy they picked was a bit of a nut job.  His voice fit nicely with them and the album they released with him was very good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #764 on: June 02, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
^Agreed^
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Whitesnake)
« Reply #765 on: June 02, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »
Hmmm, I was hoping to see more live for Kick in there, but oh well. We move on to another classic from '87...

Like U2, GN'R, Def Leppard and INXS, you simply could not avoid Whitesnake in 1987 and 1988, and the biggest reasons were "Here I Go Again," "Still of the Night" and "Is This Love," all of which were fantastic hits that did well on the charts and got played to death on MTV.  I cringe every time I hear the single version of "Here I Go Again they recorded for the radio, with the upbeat first verse and added synths in the choruses.  The album version is fantastic as is, with that sprawling first verse before they finally rock out.  "Still of the Night" was the song that got me into Whitesnake and still crushes me every time I hear it; fantastic tune! And while the later 80s were full of cheeseball hair metal ballads, I think Is This Love manages to not be just a cliche; great song, with some tasty lead solos, and a memorable vocal melody.  The summer of 1987 was so great, as a handful of us from our eight grade class spent the whole summer having fun for really the last time, before we all went to different high schools in the fall and ultimately different lives, and songs from their self-titled album, Whitesnake, were a big part of that soundtrack of the summer of '87. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: June 02, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
Awesome album from an awesome year  - made my all time top 10.  'Nuff said.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #767 on: June 02, 2015, 09:30:15 PM »
Awesome album from an awesome year

Yup. Great rockers, great ballads, and great at everything inbetween. Some of those solos are absolutely incredible. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline jammindude

« Reply #769 on: June 02, 2015, 11:22:45 PM »
This album proved (to me anyway) that Whitesnake was finished the moment Sykes left.    Whitesnake was nothing before Sykes, and Sykes was involved in the only material that mattered.   Getting Vai for the next album was just a stunt...and ended up sounding like exactly that. 

The album itself is absolutely amazing.   The only thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth is that the band you saw on the videos, and playing live (you know...the ones who got all the credit in the public eye) were NOT the performers of the music....nor were any of them involved in any way with its creation.    Coverdale was a complete idiot to fire the entire band before it was even released.