Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 117482 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Loverboy)
« Reply #280 on: April 21, 2015, 06:20:34 PM »

This was like the girl named Cindy that you convinced to come over to your place because she was really hot.    When you got her home, everything went really fantastic.   And when you both woke up in the morning....neither one of you wanted to leave.    So you hung out together like that for a whole decade.   And you still wonder where that girl is.   How she's doing?   And maybe if you were just one of the guys or one of the special guys.    Hmmmmmm

What?  :lol

Dude, lay off the  :hat
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #281 on: April 21, 2015, 07:14:02 PM »

This was like the girl named Cindy that you convinced to come over to your place because she was really hot.    When you got her home, everything went really fantastic.   And when you both woke up in the morning....neither one of you wanted to leave.    So you hung out together like that for a whole decade.   And you still wonder where that girl is.   How she's doing?   And maybe if you were just one of the guys or one of the special guys.    Hmmmmmm

What?  :lol

Dude, lay off the  :hat

:rollin

Hard to believe it's been 22 years since I've touched the stuff.     Maybe it just made me wacky.   :biggrin:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: April 21, 2015, 07:19:09 PM »
 :lol    Loverboy is an under rated band IMO and one that I've been meaning to dig deeper into next time I feel like some softer music.  I have a few albums and a Best Of but these days I could only name the big selling songs.  Reno has a great voice though..........I even have his rare solo album Renovation somewhere around here.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #283 on: April 21, 2015, 07:48:08 PM »
Never, ever, ever cared for them, this album included.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #284 on: April 21, 2015, 11:34:50 PM »
I can recall watching the VERY first moments of MTV on August 1st of 1981. About 4 of us gathered at my aunts house (she had cable) and remained glued to the TV for the next several days, only taking breaks to sleep and eat and take care of normal hygiene issues or to smoke an occasional joint or get drunk. Since it was my last summer before college, I took a break from it before I went insane. After I got to school and got settled in, we had cable in our dorm, and just about everyone in my freshman dorm would sit around and stare at MTV all the time. After a while a bunch of guys noticed several things. 1) They repeated a ton of stuff. 2) David Byrne was one weird motherfucker, but we liked his music; and we realized that NOTHING was going to be the "same as it ever was" ever again. 3) We all would have sold our souls to bang either Martha Quinn or Nina Blackwood or both. And 4) MTV LOVED to play the heck out of "Fantasy" by Aldo Nova, or ANYTHING that "Loverboy" had released.

There were guys (I was NOT one of them...I had other issues) who started going around wearing the headband even. It was pathetic and scary. And I have to admit, they were okay. Again, it was during that corporate-rock period of the music industry, and they already were starting to overplay that damn "Turn Me Loose" from their first album, so the second one was a welcome change. I never owned any of their records, but thought they were okay. That is until the following spring when I came home for spring break and walked in one day while my mom was jamming out to 'Working for the Weekend" while she was running the vacuum cleaner.

Remember, my mom sang for the NY Met. She used to take me to rock, jazz, and blues concerts all the time when I was a kid. We used to sit together and listen to Pink Floyd records on rainy days. She turned my onto the Beatles when I was three.
She used to help out at this summer music clinic in upstate NY at this really cool camp. I still have a picture of me at like 5 sitting at a picnic table on the lap of Joan Baez and she's helping me stick toothpicks into some clay thing I was making, and my mom and Shirley Owens are sitting there looking on. My mom was musical cool man.

But when I saw her jamming to Loverboy while cleaning the house, I never got into them ever again.  :lol

Of course, now I'd only listen to Loverboy for the rest of my life if I could have her back for just five minutes.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:41:40 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #285 on: April 22, 2015, 06:00:00 AM »
Loverboy is an under rated band IMO and one that I've been meaning to dig deeper

Is that even possible? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #286 on: April 22, 2015, 06:40:51 AM »
This. 

In fact, for my money, the best Loverboy-related song ever produced was the Mike Reno/Ann Wilson duet "Almost Paradise" from the Footloose soundtrack.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #287 on: April 22, 2015, 06:48:26 AM »
This. 

In fact, for my money, the best Loverboy-related song ever produced was the Mike Reno/Ann Wilson duet "Almost Paradise" from the Footloose soundtrack.

You are so wrong that your greatness just took a hit.

I really small one but still. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #288 on: April 22, 2015, 06:55:34 AM »
Yup, you really small. ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: April 22, 2015, 07:00:33 AM »
:getoffmylawn:  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #290 on: April 22, 2015, 08:43:02 AM »
This. 

You are so wrong that your greatness just took a hit.

I really small one but still. :lol
Since I don't know WTF you just said, I will just assume my greatness remains unabated.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: April 22, 2015, 10:40:45 AM »
Nope.  I said your greatness took a hit of .00000000000001

So there.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »
My greatness hasn't "taken a hit" in at least 20 years.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: April 22, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »
I bet your girls would say different. :lol  I have the exact day that I became "Old" & "Less Cool".  Star Wars has something to do with it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2015, 11:03:31 AM »
I bet your girls would say different. :lol 
My girls know nothing about my sordid past.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2015, 11:29:56 AM »
Which means you're not as cool as you were.  No shame Hef.  Us aging guys are in the same boat.  Remember when black socks pulled up was an old man thing?  Now it's cool to do that and your white tube socks are just wrong crumpled down.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
Which means you're not as cool as you were.  No shame Hef. 
I'll be perfectly honest with you, and this is no bullshit. 

I'm getting cooler as I go. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #297 on: April 22, 2015, 11:39:33 AM »
Which means you're not as cool as you were.  No shame Hef.  Us aging guys are in the same boat.  Remember when black socks pulled up was an old man thing?  Now it's cool to do that and your white tube socks are just wrong crumpled down.
What? I still wear white socks, and yes, I crumble them down.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: April 22, 2015, 11:59:48 AM »

I rest my case. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: April 22, 2015, 12:00:20 PM »

I need to have a drink with you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #300 on: April 22, 2015, 12:07:33 PM »

I rest my case. :lol
:metal

(I knew that was coming!) :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: April 22, 2015, 12:18:20 PM »
I remember listening to Loverboy, playing basketball, telling my nerdy friends to push their socks down.   :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #302 on: April 22, 2015, 01:25:16 PM »

I need to have a drink with you.
Yes you do.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #303 on: April 22, 2015, 02:41:37 PM »
Loverboy - Notorious music video from 1987
That was the first and only real time in my life I even became aware of Loverboy.  I'm sure I heard their songs before and just didn't know it was them because the radio was on a lot in my youth. The only reason I even remember that video is because, well, I'm barely a teen and this video with tons of hot chicks are on.  Basically a long beer commercial from that era.

Working for the Weekend is the only song from that album I can be 100% sure I was aware of at the time.  It feels like it should be in that movie around the same time called Flashdance.  Was it?

This was my first exposure to Loverboy too. They weren't really on the radar in the uk. Bought this album but only really rated 2-3 songs. I have the Big Ones best of and it's ok, but I'm not a fan as such. They had a few decent songs though but not enough to fill that best of with greatness.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #304 on: April 22, 2015, 02:43:27 PM »
The worst band name ever.

Calvin6s

« Reply #305 on: April 22, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »
A little kissassery here:

The thread has been quite a success.  I'm really glad that this isn't about the usual suspects that have probably been discussed to death in a prog metal forum:  Rush, Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc.  I honestly had totally forgotten about Loverboy and my true realization of their existence with that Notorious music video.  So it really has been a nostalgia trip (and rediscovery) for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #306 on: April 22, 2015, 03:59:32 PM »
Yeah, I am trying to space out the most obvious classics, many of which we have discussed here in the band threads many times before.  Thanks for noticing! :tup :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #307 on: April 22, 2015, 05:03:36 PM »
Lmao I had never heard of this band till now. So not my thing but those music videos were pretty entertaining.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: April 22, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »
Lmao I had never heard of this band till now. So not my thing but those music videos were pretty entertaining.  :lol

You leave our 80's music alone! :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #309 on: April 22, 2015, 06:22:30 PM »
The 80s drummers were the best.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #310 on: April 22, 2015, 06:37:05 PM »
The 80s drummers were the best.

I loved Matt Frenette.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: April 22, 2015, 07:57:15 PM »
Mmmmm- videos.  Don't forget the Shaguar and Tawny Kitaen Kev  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: April 22, 2015, 08:29:27 PM »
I think Loverboy is a very solid rock band

Offline jammindude

« Reply #313 on: April 22, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »
I think Gangs in the Street sounds like it could have been done by Motley Crue....

....granted, not the badass, SatD MC, but the panzy, spandex wearing, ToP MC....but still.

:angel:
https://youtu.be/qk7Fzf4aF7M
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Calvin6s

« Reply #314 on: April 22, 2015, 09:14:25 PM »
....granted, not the badass, SatD MC, but the panzy, spandex wearing, ToP MC....but still.
:rollin