Author Topic: The Song Roulette Tracker Thread 3.0 - v. Betting on red just this once  (Read 299408 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Song Roulette Tracker Thread 3.0 - v. Betting on red just this once
« Reply #2520 on: October 27, 2023, 11:13:56 PM »
I'd love to defend my title!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2521 on: October 28, 2023, 12:34:38 AM »
I'd love to defend my title!

*Narrator...

"Rich did indeed go on to defend his title"

I plan to start my 3rd roulette next week. Who is in?

I want to tweak the scoring a bit, I think. But I might have to wait and see how many want to participate.

1. TAC
Me me me!

Nearly spit out my morning tea :lol

I'm in if you'll have me James. Is there a theme?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2522 on: October 28, 2023, 04:58:57 AM »
In... Don't listen to that playlist I sent ya, I may want to pull from it lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2523 on: October 28, 2023, 07:24:16 AM »
I'm in!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2524 on: October 28, 2023, 08:48:14 AM »

I'm game.  I don't anticipate doing quite as well, and I'm thinking I might go back to more somewhat lesser-known artists, since there's a ton left in the vault. 

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2525 on: October 28, 2023, 10:29:22 AM »
I guess I could join and keep sending the worst song of each round if you don't mind :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2526 on: October 28, 2023, 10:31:09 AM »

I want to tweak the scoring a bit, I think. But I might have to wait and see how many want to participate.

1. TAC
Me me me!

You shut your mouth!  :)
:corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2527 on: October 28, 2023, 10:32:09 AM »
Awesome, we should have enough and a few more might be interested when I make the thread!

I will probably start it in the next few days so I can get participants locked in, and I have Friday off so I will be able to get some really good listening in that day, too.

I am rethinking the scoring, as I mentioned. If I have 14 again, I would possibly do the scoring like what is below. I am not sure if that would mess it up, but I think I had too many 6's and maybe even too many 7's. I would like to break it up a bit more and keep the game a little closer. Any thoughts on this? I love feedback.

Edit: I didn't like that many 6's because you guys are choosing what is usually the best stuff from those years, and I was giving songs I liked a 6 a lot.

Also, the theme would be the exact same.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2528 on: October 28, 2023, 10:48:52 AM »
I guess I just fundamentally have trouble wrapping my head around preassigned values for stackers.  Straight linear ones at least force you to decide on an order, although the lowest ranks of course get killed each time.  But for the ones like your's and TAC's, it would drive me crazy as it shifted from round to round.  Like, what if one round you had three songs that all felt like 7s, but you have to arbitrarily assign one lower or higher even though you don't really feel differently about it than the other two.  And then exceptionally good rounds, unusually bad ones, and average ones of course are indistinguishable unless you specifically mention it.  I guess the idea is that after enough rounds those sort of irregularities cosmically balance out. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2529 on: October 28, 2023, 10:52:22 AM »
I get that. Round 1 and Round 9 especially stick out as crazy good rounds that felt particularly bad giving out low scores.

Is the only other option to rank out of 10 (or some other highest value)? So I would give a song a 7.2 or an 8.6 or a 1.3 based on how I feel about it absolutely? But then that seems too open as well.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2530 on: October 28, 2023, 10:56:51 AM »
Just give them all a 10/10 :neverusethis:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2531 on: October 28, 2023, 11:00:05 AM »
:lol In the end, I am just trying to catch up and get the best stuff, so maybe they all are in 10's in our heart.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2532 on: October 28, 2023, 11:08:37 AM »
I guess I should first say that it'd probably be boring if everyone used the exact same method, and it's interesting to see how other formats work out.  I like the open approach because round to round it captures more accurately the nuance I feel about each entry, sometimes with songs being equal, sometimes there being larger gaps, and I don't have to arbitrarily force everything together if it doesn't actually reflect my opinion.  I guess a disadvantage is that it can be influenced somewhat by mood each round, trying to compensate in one direction or the other, or trying to compare to previous scores in earlier rounds.  Honestly I probably use my method because I'm so used to rating things on Rate Your Music, so I have a pretty good idea of what an 8/10 or such sounds like to me. 

The linear stacker I suppose makes for more drama, with wilder swings round to round, a greater sense that you can catch back up with a lucky few rounds, and a sense that no one is really safe.  But I love hearing reasoning for why other people prefer different structures. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2533 on: October 28, 2023, 11:09:49 AM »
I guess I just fundamentally have trouble wrapping my head around preassigned values for stackers.  Straight linear ones at least force you to decide on an order, although the lowest ranks of course get killed each time.  But for the ones like your's and TAC's, it would drive me crazy as it shifted from round to round.  Like, what if one round you had three songs that all felt like 7s, but you have to arbitrarily assign one lower or higher even though you don't really feel differently about it than the other two.  And then exceptionally good rounds, unusually bad ones, and average ones of course are indistinguishable unless you specifically mention it.  I guess the idea is that after enough rounds those sort of irregularities cosmically balance out.

I'm with ya on this.  If the stack rank method is going to be used, then rank each entry from top to bottom, with equal increments is the way to go.  Otherwise you're (royal you, not you/James specifically) are adding some subjective opinion as to which rankings are the ties.  Like, what if you really think the songs that are "equal" in scoring are 7s, not 8.5s.  You (James) are going to be forcing certain songs into certain scores inconsistently across rounds.  If you're committed to a stacked scheme, I wouldn't force yourself to follow a prescribed score that will be used for ties.

As for "the lowest ranks get killed each time", it is possible to recover.  Years ago, in Big Hath's roulette, I scored a 1 in the very first round, and ended up placing 2nd overall, just a couple of points away from winning it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2534 on: October 28, 2023, 11:21:11 AM »
I think it's more just that receiving a "1" or a "2" psychologically stings a bit more than a "6" does, though if you're committing to scoring and ranking it's impossible to get away from it entirely, even if you hand out nothing but 9s and 10s the people with the most 9s are still going to be at the bottom of the rankings, no way around it. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2535 on: October 28, 2023, 01:09:14 PM »
I dunno, a completely linear ranking doesn't work for me because my opinions/ratings are never spread that evenly.

I myself do an open score out of 10 these days, but if I was going to do a stacker I'd probably lean more towards Tim's style of doing it - a bell curve/normal distribution probably is pretty close to the average distribution in my roulettes, lots of clustering around the 7.8-8.3 region and then a small number of higher or lower scores. And you make some good points in favour of it Litho, like simply being able to rank things and not needing to worry about consistency with previous round scores etc.

But like you I default to x/10 because I'm so used to doing it on RYM, even though I do rate albums slightly differently to how I rate roulette submissions. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2536 on: October 28, 2023, 01:21:49 PM »

Basically, yes. If I could do it again, I would've made 6 the lowest grade, not the 5.

But as long as the scoring stays consistent, it's still fair. I ran my Stacker to resemble a bell curve to go with the school theme. It's not something I'd use again. I generally don't like stackers. The only other time I used it was in my Opposites Attract roulette where I stacked two sets of songs and the average was the score. That's why I instituted the Extra Credit song, to kind of make up a point or two if you got stacked at or near the bottom of a round.

In my current roulette, the Stacker has indeed pushed songs down, but it's also pushed a few songs up as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2537 on: October 28, 2023, 05:31:40 PM »
So you guys would prefer just rating out of 10? I'm open to it. I guess I was wary because I thought that it was too open-ended.

And, out of 10, do some people not use decimals and some do? I actually am unsure since the time I have been back, I have only looked at my own and Tim's, both of which use the stacker.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2538 on: October 28, 2023, 05:41:33 PM »
So you guys would prefer just rating out of 10? I'm open to it. I guess I was wary because I thought that it was too open-ended.

And, out of 10, do some people not use decimals and some do? I actually am unsure since the time I have been back, I have only looked at my own and Tim's, both of which use the stacker.

I don't typically use the stacker though. I usually rate out of 10.

7.5...if I basically like the song. I'll rate lower the moe I don't like it.
8.0... if it's good
8.5... if I really like it
9.0...if it's fucking A awesome.

Those are my basic..steps. But from there, I'll use tenths of a point to further differentiate. 

Here's an example of how I scored my 2023 round in my last roulette..

8.8 Wolfking  Hellripper – Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags
8.7 Twosuitsluke  Celestial Wizard – Ice Realm
8.6 Lithojazzosphere  Conspiracy Of Zero -  Ahthos Arouris II
8.5 Puppies  Imperium Dekadenz – Memories… A Raging River
8.5 DragonAttack  Robin McAuley – Stronger Than Before
8.5 Jingle Boy  The Raven Age – Parasite
8.5 Crow  Witch Ripper - Enter The Loop
8.0 Tomislav  Paramore – The News
8.0 Vmadera  Galneryus – Bravehearts
8.0 Lonestar  The Hu – This Is Mongol
7.9 Ariich  The World Is Quiet Here - Impetus I:Torrid Sands
7.9  Buddyhunter  The Enigma Division – The Age Of Discovery
7.8 Kingshmegland  Anasazi – Trapped
7.7 Romdrums  The Enigma Division – Echoes In The Deep
7.5 Faizoff  Peter Gabriel – Panopticom
7.5 Stadler  Steve Vai – She Saved My Life Tonight
7.4 Elite  Haken – Lovebite
7.4 Reaper  Jakub Zytecki – Wait
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2539 on: October 28, 2023, 05:43:20 PM »
1/2 point increments are most common. Some have used 1/10ths - Rich recently, and I did once as well.

There’s no set ‘rule’. You make the rules. Do whatever is best or natural for you.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2540 on: October 28, 2023, 05:44:04 PM »

There’s no set ‘rule’. You make the rules. Do whatever is best or natural for you.

THIS!!!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2541 on: October 28, 2023, 06:15:49 PM »
1/2 point increments are most common. Some have used 1/10ths - Rich recently, and I did once as well.

This. I mean, Crow used strawberries as a scoring system in a roulette a few years ago...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

« Reply #2542 on: October 28, 2023, 06:19:47 PM »
I figure if I ever do a roulette I would use the 20-80 scale from baseball scouting. Basically, 5 is average, and nobody is likely to send anything below a 2 or above an 8.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2543 on: October 28, 2023, 11:52:51 PM »
We're just saying we prefer it when we're hosting our own roulettes. I don't mind what the system is in a roulette I'm playing in. As host you should do whatever you think is most sensible/interesting/fun.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2544 on: October 29, 2023, 06:52:02 AM »
Oh yeah, I know I make the rules  :biggrin: But I like to see what the other options are. As I saw TAC's roulette unfold, I stole some of his ways of doing things toward the end.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2545 on: October 29, 2023, 07:16:02 AM »
Oh yeah, I know I make the rules  :biggrin:
Yeah for sure, I just meant that preferring it a certain way as host doesn't mean we have the same preference (or indeed any preference) as players. Basically, don't worry about us! :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2546 on: October 30, 2023, 06:56:04 PM »
ideal roulette scoring: every song gets either an 8.5, a 6.9, or a 4, nothing else

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2547 on: October 30, 2023, 08:07:15 PM »
I might do another one of these soon, anyone potentially interested? It'd be my normal bare-bones style, no themed rounds or complicated rules, just send songs and get scores. I might do the '20 minutes of music from an artist' thing again instead of single songs, though. It tended to make scoring and writeups a bit more work, but overall I think I got a better impression of the artists people were sending me.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2548 on: October 30, 2023, 08:10:43 PM »
Definitely. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2549 on: October 30, 2023, 08:24:25 PM »
Fo sho!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2550 on: October 30, 2023, 09:10:56 PM »
Absolutely
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2551 on: October 30, 2023, 11:56:09 PM »
Shadow! Awesome to see you.

I would of course love a chance to defend my title. :biggrin:

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2552 on: October 31, 2023, 07:57:11 AM »
Fuck...just realized Rich has tied me in the standings...I gotta take these things seriously for a bit and finally pass Seneca.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2553 on: October 31, 2023, 08:12:47 AM »
I'm in Shadow!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2554 on: October 31, 2023, 03:26:44 PM »
Fuck...just realized Rich has tied me in the standings...I gotta take these things seriously for a bit and finally pass Seneca.
If and when Puppies feels able to return to his roulette, I'm somewhat hopeful I might win/have won that one too. I was in the lead and I put quite a bit of time and effort into my final concept album.

I be am boner inducing.