Author Topic: The Song Roulette Tracker Thread 3.0 - v. Betting on red just this once  (Read 292338 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Song Roulette Tracker Thread 3.0 - v. Betting on red just this once
« Reply #945 on: September 12, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
Going to postpone my next roulette because hopefully I get this new job but that means I'll be on call 24/7 so no time to do the roulette I want to do properly.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #946 on: September 12, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »
Going to postpone my next roulette because hopefully I get this new job but that means I'll be on call 24/7 so no time to do the roulette I want to do properly.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #947 on: September 12, 2018, 03:37:25 PM »
Good, GTFO of the way!  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #948 on: September 12, 2018, 04:16:05 PM »
rip in dreams, you beautiful meme

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: September 12, 2018, 06:38:52 PM »
Hey, if I don't get the job you fuckers can go ahead and rejoice  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #950 on: September 12, 2018, 09:34:57 PM »
That's OK, mine will be ready to go.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #951 on: September 16, 2018, 08:04:48 PM »
I'd like to get on the list, too.  I'd like to do a themed roulette with eliminations (after a certain round). 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: September 16, 2018, 08:31:04 PM »
I'd like to get on the list, too.  I'd like to do a themed roulette with eliminations (after a certain round).

HELL yeah! I've been waiting for you to do another so I can participate, and I'm hoping this youngster can maybe show you some stuff you'll really like, too. Think along the lines of that Lake Shore Drive song I sent you a while back. Themes permitting of course. :)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #953 on: September 16, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
I'd like to get on the list, too.
Done. :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: September 17, 2018, 05:26:20 AM »

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: September 17, 2018, 09:47:39 AM »
Jingle and Kattelox:  here's what I was kicking around, and please give me your thoughts.   Primary goal is to have FUN, and bust some balls (Jingle, I love what you wrote on the intro to yours), so keep that in mind:

I want to do a themed roulette using a NASCAR championship structure.    Eight rounds - each round with a theme.  After five, the top eight go head to head in the "Chase" (rounds 6, 7, and 8).    You win one of the first five rounds, you're automatically in.  The remaining spots will be filled by points.  Sixth round (with 8 contestants):  four go on, four go home.  Seventh round (with 4 contestants): two go on, two go home.  Eight round (with 2 contestants): one wins, one cries.

I'm toying with scoring each song like this: seven points on whether I like it and three points on how well it fits the theme (with one point of that for creativity).  I'm toying with no banned list, and if I reject the song, you can either resubmit a different one, or submit that one and have two points taken off right off the top.   

The themes will be more complicated than "Live Song!" or "Epic", but the point isn't to bust chops but have some fun.  I'm thinking like a theme like "The Beatles", but sending a McCartney solo song would get two points (unless it was his shittier ones from more recently) but would get zero creativity points.   Assuming I didn't know the song (possible) Elton John would get three points, because I love Elton and he played with Lennon live in '74 and they were good friends. 

I don't know; like I said, trying to have some fun and avoid the same-old, same-old. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: September 17, 2018, 09:51:27 AM »
Love it. I'm game for anything that plays around with a typical game structure and that sounds like fun, especially aiming for 1st place in the first 5 rounds to secure a spot in the chase rounds. I also like the idea of scoring simultaneously for how much you like it and how much it fits the theme - there's a challenge to be had. Bring it on.  :hat

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #957 on: September 17, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »
So I could send you one of your all-time fav songs and instantly get an 8?  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: September 17, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »
Love it. I'm game for anything that plays around with a typical game structure and that sounds like fun, especially aiming for 1st place in the first 5 rounds to secure a spot in the chase rounds. I also like the idea of scoring simultaneously for how much you like it and how much it fits the theme - there's a challenge to be had. Bring it on.  :hat

I'm with this.

For what it's worth, I did pretty much exactly this in my 1st roulette - 10 players/10 rounds.  Top 6 moved on after round 7, with the Top 2 receiving a one round "bye".  The winners of 3v6 and 4v5 then got matched up against the top 2, and then round 10 was the Finals.

Also... re: banned list.  Leaving it a wide open field kinda defeats the purpose, does it not.  As Sacul said, you could end up getting songs you already know.  jj's roulette had an element where he allowed songs he knew and loved, and honestly, that aspect turned out to be a bit of a wreck.  Having flexibility (as I did with some of your submissions) is ok, but I think every Roulette should have some kind of banned list - bands/albums... something.

I love the the idea of 'interpret the theme however you want' approach.  Just be true to that.  I played in one where the host said to interpret the themes however players wanted.  One theme was 'oriental', so I sent something from Mr. Big's Back to Budokan... and was told it didn't fit the them.  Da fuq?  Maybe I should've sent Turning Japanese!   :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: September 17, 2018, 12:10:32 PM »
So I could send you one of your all-time fav songs and instantly get an 8?  :metal

If it creatively fit the theme, sure.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: September 17, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »
I would rather have a banned list, yeah, because it would be way too easy to send you stuff you would automatically love. But it's your roulette.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: September 17, 2018, 12:17:27 PM »

I'm with this.

For what it's worth, I did pretty much exactly this in my 1st roulette - 10 players/10 rounds.  Top 6 moved on after round 7, with the Top 2 receiving a one round "bye".  The winners of 3v6 and 4v5 then got matched up against the top 2, and then round 10 was the Finals.

Also... re: banned list.  Leaving it a wide open field kinda defeats the purpose, does it not.  As Sacul said, you could end up getting songs you already know.  jj's roulette had an element where he allowed songs he knew and loved, and honestly, that aspect turned out to be a bit of a wreck.  Having flexibility (as I did with some of your submissions) is ok, but I think every Roulette should have some kind of banned list - bands/albums... something.

I love the the idea of 'interpret the theme however you want' approach.  Just be true to that.  I played in one where the host said to interpret the themes however players wanted.  One theme was 'oriental', so I sent something from Mr. Big's Back to Budokan... and was told it didn't fit the them.  Da fuq?  Maybe I should've sent Turning Japanese!   :lol

See, I'd be looking for something like that Mr. Big. That shows some creativity.   My ultimate goal would be that every player had at least one moment of giddy glee where they say "Oh, boy, I can't wait till the field sees THIS!"

I think I agree with you on the banned list; I may not be comprehensive on it, but I may put down a couple obvious ones;   you're just not that likely to find a Rainbow or Kiss song I haven't heard (and if you're that convinced, let me know and we'll see how it plays).   I think I want to avoid anyone sending "Stargazer" or worse, "Smoke On The Water" (a song I've played live on every instrument except drums, so I know it inside and out).  But I'd like to leave open a band like, say, UFO, where I only know the Schenker and Chapman years, and would  actually enjoy hearing something from the Mick Bolton years or the Vinnie Moore years.    I think now that I type this out, even without a banned list, per se, I will send back a song I know too well.  It's not fair, and it's not really in keeping with the rest of the roulette.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: September 17, 2018, 01:04:48 PM »
But I'd like to leave open a band like, say, UFO, where I only know the Schenker and Chapman years, and would  actually enjoy hearing something from the Mick Bolton years or the Vinnie Moore years.

Kinda my schtick with bands like Rainbow and Sabbath! 

I think now that I type this out, even without a banned list, per se, I will send back a song I know too well.  It's not fair, and it's not really in keeping with the rest of the roulette.

My work here is done.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #963 on: September 17, 2018, 04:12:38 PM »
But I'd like to leave open a band like, say, UFO, where I only know the Schenker and Chapman years, and would  actually enjoy hearing something from the Mick Bolton years or the Vinnie Moore years.   

I've got the Moore Era covered. But I'm not sure you really want to hear anything from the Bolton Era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #964 on: September 19, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
I come to the elders for roulette advice.

I'd like to divide the contestants into two conferences: the Old Farts and the Young Turks, the cut being my age (40). After 5 rounds we mingle with playoff quarterfinals, semifinals and finals between the top ranked in each conference, NBA style. Of course, I need at least 16 people for this to work, and probably a preliminary round to even the field.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Fockoffs?

Many thanks in advance.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #965 on: September 19, 2018, 04:53:53 PM »

I'd like to divide the contestants into two conferences: the Old Farts and the Young Turks, the cut being my age (40). After 5 rounds we mingle with playoff quarterfinals, semifinals and finals between the top ranked in each conference, NBA style. Of course, I need at least 16 people for this to work, and probably a preliminary round to even the field.

Many thanks in advance.
This sounds like fun. You can count me in.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #966 on: September 19, 2018, 05:14:36 PM »
ahh yes, the "growls" crowd and the "cowards" crowd  :P
sounds like fun though, I'd be excited to get eliminated quickly and all

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #967 on: September 19, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »
ahh yes, the "growls" crowd and the "cowards" crowd  :P

Yeah, the pussies!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: September 19, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »
Good news: I got the job
Bad news: jingle can't forbid me from listening to his albums now

Wait, that's good news. Nevermind  :lol Bad news: no roulette from me for a while

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: September 19, 2018, 07:00:25 PM »

Wait, that's good news. Nevermind  :lol Bad news: no roulette from me for a while

Good news... you'll have some extra money to buy those albums  ;)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: September 19, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »

Good news... you'll have some extra money to buy those albums  ;)

Fuckin right. I want to conquer the merch room at PP next year  :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #971 on: September 19, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »
Bad news: no roulette from me for a while
As long as you join my next one, that's cool.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: September 19, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »
Bad news: no roulette from me for a while
As long as you join my next one, that's cool.

I'm in like Flynn, baby.  :hat

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #973 on: September 20, 2018, 03:35:39 AM »

Many thanks in advance.
This sounds super fun, I'd love to take part!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #974 on: September 20, 2018, 05:40:35 AM »
Well, guys, thank you for the blind trust. Anyways, my intention wasn't to rally participants (it would be unfair without specifying tastes/banned songs/themes/voting etc. and unpolitely disrespectful of turns), but to get feedback about possible chinks in the gimmicky format which could doom the whole enterprise.

Speaking of which, there's another spec I need counsel on. My banned list from 1600 up to 1996 would just break the www and take me a year to compile, while the one from 1996 onward is ludicrously short and lacking things you may consider must haves. What course of action you fine experienced gentlemen suggest to take in that regard? 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #975 on: September 20, 2018, 05:48:08 AM »
Just ban anything pre 1996.

Damn, and I was planning on sending you my top tracks from 1665.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #976 on: September 20, 2018, 05:49:01 AM »
I love the idea.  I also love the idea that TAC thinks we don't know he owns only metal from 1665.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #977 on: September 20, 2018, 05:52:55 AM »
Those were the days. 
The typical itinerary for a US tour was:

Plymouth

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: September 20, 2018, 06:03:03 AM »
Those were the days. 
The typical itinerary for a US tour was:

Plymouth

:lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: September 20, 2018, 06:04:59 AM »
Of course the opening song is "Run To The Hills."