Author Topic: The Song Roulette Tracker Thread 3.0 - v. Betting on red just this once  (Read 292634 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Song Roulette Tracker Thread 3.0 - v. Betting on red just this once
« Reply #560 on: December 20, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »
Not looking to get on the list yet, but I may run another one later next year. Got some ideas.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #561 on: December 20, 2017, 05:32:59 PM »
Gonna invite some mature friends this time?   :P  ;D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #562 on: December 20, 2017, 05:42:26 PM »

He's hunting for young poon.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:52:26 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #563 on: December 20, 2017, 05:51:18 PM »
Can I be added to the waiting list Dave please.  Looking at running another roulette but not until March/April.
I'm in too! Looking to participate in more of these. It's been fun getting to know everyone's music tastes and find new music at the same time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #564 on: December 20, 2017, 05:54:43 PM »

That'd still leave you out.  :P :P :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: December 20, 2017, 05:56:13 PM »
Can I be added to the waiting list Dave please.  Looking at running another roulette but not until March/April.

I'm in!

Not looking to get on the list yet, but I may run another one later next year. Got some ideas.

That seems quick.  Was a mistake not to invite the cool dudes then?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #566 on: December 20, 2017, 07:04:45 PM »
Nah, the dudes were cool.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #567 on: December 20, 2017, 07:24:50 PM »
Added.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: December 21, 2017, 04:17:01 AM »

That'd still leave you out.  :P :P :P

You got a point there.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #570 on: December 22, 2017, 01:14:10 PM »
Bolsters, looks like the OP is getting pretty massive. Do you want me to move a whole bunch of older completed roulettes to the archive?
Sure.
Cool, all done for roulettes that finished in 2016 or earlier. OP now just has 2017 finishes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #571 on: December 22, 2017, 07:37:34 PM »
Until now I didn't realise how few roulettes there were this year.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #572 on: December 22, 2017, 07:40:50 PM »
i was the first person to start a roulette this year  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #573 on: December 29, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
Maybe I should do one in the next year

(and give everybody terrible scores :neverusethis: )
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #574 on: December 29, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »
Please do so you can get revenge on me for cutting you in the prelims of my last roulette (side note I was genuinely sad I had to cut you becsuse you have a history of sending me good metal but I didn't like that textures song that much so :V)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #575 on: December 30, 2017, 05:51:14 AM »
Oh, that will be jolly. I have a great idea for a format for the next roulette, but I need to fine-tune it a bit. It’ll be hilarious and fun. It’s good being on holiday right now, it gives you time to think about silly things like that.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #576 on: December 31, 2017, 07:21:47 AM »
I said earlier in the thread that I intended to run a mini roulette towards the end of January and so far I'm on track to not be busy then. Now normally I wait until the thread was made to unveil what will be going on, and I'm keeping the details under wraps until then (some of it is still being worked out anyway), but this mini roulette will have a theme that will probably put off a bunch of people, so I wanted to let everyone know what that was for two reasons: Firstly, despite knowing that not all of the regular roulette crowd actually read this thread I know most of you do, so I wanted to gauge your interest; if there's only going to be three people joining I might not bother. :lol Secondly, some of you I expect will find this theme easy and you keep track of stuff that you won't need any time to prepare at all, but some of you might. So if you are interested in joining or not sure yet, you still have about a month to decide.

Anyway, for most of last year I was checking out new releases constantly as usual. While there ended up not being too small a number of releases by the end (I probably looked into too many new things during November/December, I definitely added a lot more during these last two months) and while there was most definitely some quality stuff in there I found that there was a lesser percentage of quality than in previous years. So the idea I had several months ago was to run a mini roulette and have people send me songs exclusively from 2017 releases in the hopes of finding some more good stuff.

Now as I mentioned, I listened to a lot recently and the reason I'm worried about a lack of interest in this is the size of the banned list. I have completely stopped looking for new albums from 2017 so the list I have now will be the list I use for the roulette. It's 123 albums long.

Some info about the roulette:
  • Five rounds
  • I will keep a list of sent songs that didn't really appeal to me, and other people will be able to resend from that album if they think they can do better (limit once per album)
  • Multiple songs from the same album per round allowed (undecided on limit), but if people send the same song, someone will be resubmitting
  • I might let you send one or two non-2017 songs (still undecided), but even if I do, you will be encouraged to send 2017 songs in all rounds (bonus points)
  • I might let you send 2018 releases and have them count, just to make it easier for you guys to find stuff to send, but it's probaby not going to help all that much anyway

I know several of you listened to more albums than I did, likely a lot more, and you probably have too much to choose from for only five rounds. Other are probably thinking this roulette would be hell. Some of you might literally have nothing to send if you listened to too few albums and/or we have a lot of crossover. :lol So check the banned list and let me know if you think you would like to play in this.

2017 Albums banned list

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #577 on: December 31, 2017, 07:30:50 AM »
I have at least 70 albums on my 2017 List that are not on your list.
I could do this.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #578 on: December 31, 2017, 08:00:39 AM »
I'm a huge 2017 music fan and got plenty that are not on that list, so I'm definitely down for this roulette. If you'll have mercy on me for kicking you out in my prelims, that is :lol

Any chance you're going to reveal your ranking of the 2017 albums you listened to, or a top 5 or something similar, to get an indication of what you liked?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: December 31, 2017, 08:41:11 AM »
Right off the bat I see at least a dozen that'd probably make my Top 50 that you don't have listed.  I'm game.

Maybe one way to 'stretch' the 2017 rule would be to allow participants 1 submission from a prior year release from a band on the banned list - for example, from Night Flight Orchertra's 2015 album, Skyline Whispers?  But in all honesty, if it's only 5 rounds, then no one should sign up if they don't have at least 5 good albums from bands not on that list.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #580 on: December 31, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
I think I've got enough 2017 releases to be able to participate.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #581 on: December 31, 2017, 10:33:40 AM »
I know several of you listened to more albums than I did, likely a lot more, and you probably have too much to choose from for only five rounds. Other are probably thinking this roulette would be hell. Some of you might literally have nothing to send if you listened to too few albums and/or we have a lot of crossover. :lol So check the banned list and let me know if you think you would like to play in this.

2017 Albums banned list
I am so in! I have 264 albums in my 2017 album ranking list and another 18 EPs in my EP list. Over 200 of which are not on your list.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #582 on: December 31, 2017, 10:38:24 AM »
i have more than enough awful garbage from 2017 to be able to send to you

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #583 on: December 31, 2017, 10:42:55 AM »
I'm starting to realize that Parama's job is to send garbage in all roulette's.  :biggrin: :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #584 on: December 31, 2017, 12:18:21 PM »
But in all honesty, if it's only 5 rounds, then no one should sign up if they don't have at least 5 good albums from bands not on that list.

Well,you need more than 5 albums, in the event other participants send you stuff that you planned on sending.

I'm hesitant to join. I do have more than 5 albums not on Bolsters' list, but I don't really have a lot of 'good' stuff to send him. This year turned out to be quite lackluster for me with regards to getting new music. I 'only' listened to 33 new albums in total, so that's not a lot to choose from.

You can at least sign me up for a new one!
Squ

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #585 on: December 31, 2017, 06:49:56 PM »
I'd be up for participating, Bolsters!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #586 on: December 31, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »
I'm a huge 2017 music fan and got plenty that are not on that list, so I'm definitely down for this roulette. If you'll have mercy on me for kicking you out in my prelims, that is :lol
I thought you might be out, your banned list for your current roulette is only about 140. :lol Glad to have you on board though, what I got from you in my last roulette was a bit of a mixed bag but there was some really good stuff in there too. Infact Xerath's III is my most listened to albums of the previous 365 days on Last.fm. :metal

I won't be having eliminations either so if you join, you're in for all five rounds.

Any chance you're going to reveal your ranking of the 2017 albums you listened to, or a top 5 or something similar, to get an indication of what you liked?
I could work on a top 5 or 10, maybe ranking them but maybe not. I'll have something ready by the time the roulette begins.

Well,you need more than 5 albums, in the event other participants send you stuff that you planned on sending.
I was worried about this too, which is why I was considering allowing non-2017 releases (so if someone were cockblocked so much that they actually ran out of things to send, they could at least throw in some older stuff for the last 1-2 rounds), multiple from the same album in a round, and the 'second chance' idea so some submissions could be reused. But yeah with 33 albums to choose from and probably a decent number of them already being banned, seems like a rough time for you unfortunately.

You can at least sign me up for a new one!
You're on the list! :tup
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:37:24 PM by Bolsters »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #587 on: December 31, 2017, 07:41:47 PM »
put me on the list dangit i gotta send you some awful black metsl

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #588 on: January 01, 2018, 08:18:18 AM »
I thought you might be out, your banned list for your current roulette is only about 140. :lol Glad to have you on board though, what I got from you in my last roulette was a bit of a mixed bag but there was some really good stuff in there too. Infact Xerath's III is my most listened to albums of the previous 365 days on Last.fm. :metal

I won't be having eliminations either so if you join, you're in for all five rounds.
Nice, III is great! :2metal: There's plenty of 2017 albums I listened to that aren't on the banned list because I'm not fully familiar with them yet, it's been a pretty overwhelming year. I'm working on it though, should have some stuff picked out by the time the roulette starts.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: January 01, 2018, 03:31:12 PM »
2017 releases only?  Yeah, I'm out.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #590 on: January 03, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
I'd be in, I have more than 5 albums not on that list in my top 20 albums of 2017. I'm surprised to not see Mastodon in your list tho :p
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #591 on: January 03, 2018, 07:45:44 PM »
I received a Mastodon song in my first roulette and have heard a couple of others, I wasn't impressed by any of them. I did notice that their new album was reasonably popular in the Top 5 Albums thread though so it won't be any surprise to me when get a song or two from that album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #592 on: January 03, 2018, 08:16:56 PM »
i honestly just can't even with mastodon anymore, i listened to the album and it was like, "fine" but i don't know what everyone else is seeing in it  :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #593 on: January 05, 2018, 01:00:48 AM »
I think I have a good idea of what I want to do for my roulette. Could you add me to the waiting list please?

There will be 10 rounds, some with themes (don't worry, most of the themes are pretty broad, with a lot of room for interpretation). I'm working on my banned list still, trying to make it as thorough as possible. I'm looking for 10 participants. Any takers?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #594 on: January 05, 2018, 01:06:58 AM »
i've gathered that you and i have pretty similar tastes which means that i'll have trouble finding holes on your banned list, but sign me up  :tup