Author Topic: The Song Roulette Tracker Thread 3.0 - v. Betting on red just this once  (Read 292336 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: The Song Roulette Tracker Thread 3.0 - v. Betting on red just this once
« Reply #245 on: April 05, 2016, 01:02:35 AM »
I'm working on the specifics of mine, but don't know exactly how I'm going to format it yet. Banned list is coming along, and I have possible themes if I decide to use them.
I'm pretty sure I've got a few things you'll like, so I'll be interested in joining this. Hopefully all my good ideas won't be banned.

I'm not sure if I'll want to run a roulette right after the championship is over. I'm not having days free because I have quite a lot of work for university up until end of June, I have exactly one free weekend until June and then I'm not going to spend much time anywhere near a computer during summer break.
It doesn't bother me if you want to sit at the top on the waiting list for several months, others have been up there that long, so don't worry about it. When you're ready to slot back in you can.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #246 on: April 05, 2016, 07:15:56 AM »
I imagine your banned list would require a reasonable amount of effort, it's certainly not going to be one of the shorter ones.

It's fucking massive.

*snickers*

If you got a free spot, I think I may have some stuff you haven't heard.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #247 on: April 05, 2016, 07:33:20 AM »
Have people ever posted like what they were going to do in their roulette in here before they created it? I mean like I said I'm a little stuck as far as what format I am going to do.

That said I hope that I don't go for another month and a half or so. Concert season. Performances. Assemblies.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #248 on: April 05, 2016, 08:18:26 AM »
Have people ever posted like what they were going to do in their roulette in here before they created it? I mean like I said I'm a little stuck as far as what format I am going to do.
If you want.

That said I hope that I don't go for another month and a half or so.
With Tyrias and lonestar both choosing to delay, your turn will definitely come up before then. Does this mean that after so many months of anticipation, you're going to have to delay too? :rollin

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #249 on: April 05, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
I don't know yet. Let me try to get this together. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: April 05, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »
I'm working on the specifics of mine, but don't know exactly how I'm going to format it yet. Banned list is coming along, and I have possible themes if I decide to use them.
I'm pretty sure I've got a few things you'll like, so I'll be interested in joining this. Hopefully all my good ideas won't be banned.

I'm not sure if I'll want to run a roulette right after the championship is over. I'm not having days free because I have quite a lot of work for university up until end of June, I have exactly one free weekend until June and then I'm not going to spend much time anywhere near a computer during summer break.
It doesn't bother me if you want to sit at the top on the waiting list for several months, others have been up there that long, so don't worry about it. When you're ready to slot back in you can.

I imagine your banned list would require a reasonable amount of effort, it's certainly not going to be one of the shorter ones.

It's fucking massive.

*snickers*

If you got a free spot, I think I may have some stuff you haven't heard.

Cool, I had you two in mind so, sounds good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: April 05, 2016, 03:33:03 PM »
Can't wait to see the list, Kade. You better not break my computer!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: April 05, 2016, 04:12:56 PM »

I'm wondering if I'll be able to fit that many characters in a single post.  ;D

Done more on this this morning.  Expect the main thread up within a few days.  I'd do more, but I have to go to this dumb thing called work.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #253 on: April 05, 2016, 05:51:24 PM »

I'm wondering if I'll be able to fit that many characters in a single post.  ;D

I'm fully expecting the forum to crash.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #254 on: April 05, 2016, 06:59:40 PM »
You think beginning of May?

Ok. Ideas. Ratings. Should I just do x/5, or something like what bolsters is doing? Stars or something?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2016, 07:12:16 PM »
You think beginning of May?

Ok. Ideas. Ratings. Should I just do x/5, or something like what bolsters is doing? Stars or something?

The most common method is a simple rating out of 10 (or 5) .    Stars TM  is a Bolsters specialty which I would leave to him for your first roulette  :lol    The other option is a stack ranking method (if you have 10 participants the top song in each round gets 10 and the bottom gets 1)  .   I have a problem with giving a song 1pt in a strong round when it may be a 7/10  but jingle.boy did this and ran a standard ranking system in the background and he found that the end result was almost identical.

So.......whatever you think is fairest and/or suits you best.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2016, 07:38:46 PM »
For all three of my roulettes, I've done a stack-rank scoring method.  I figure, it's like the 100m sprint.  Doesn't matter if you ran a 9.7... when someone else runs a 9.68, you are in 2nd place.  Once you get past the mind-set that being in 10th place doesn't mean that your song was 10x worse than the 1st place song, I find it much easier to score.  You also don't have to think about scoring consistency across rounds... you just have to rate the songs best-to-least best.

But yes... in the end, my last roulette basically confirmed that the stack rank method ended up with virtually the same result as the #/10 method.  I think two people switched spots, that was the only difference.

My suggestion Splent ... keep it simple.  There's merit in the KISS principle, especially for someone's first roulette.  Fire off some themes, rate the songs, and declare a winner after 8 or more rounds.  Complexity is usually more fun for the organizer than for the players - not a shot at anyone in particular, other than myself for my "Jeopardy" style Roulette v2.  Caught a lot of playful grief over that one.   :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #257 on: April 05, 2016, 07:55:40 PM »
I figure, it's like the 100m sprint.  Doesn't matter if you ran a 9.7... when someone else runs a 9.68, you are in 2nd place.

Wut?  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: April 05, 2016, 08:01:32 PM »
Should've kept it simple  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: April 05, 2016, 09:41:58 PM »
My suggestion Splent ... keep it simple.
This is good advice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2016, 09:57:14 PM »
I think I have a nice little simple but fun format in mind.  The more I think about it though, the more complicated it gets in my head.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2016, 10:03:21 PM »
Don't forget the Issa round  ;)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2016, 10:13:36 PM »
i'm wondering whether or not i should enter this one since our tastes probably don't line up well, but simultaneously i am not in any other roulettes rn  :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2016, 10:15:17 PM »
I was actually thinking towards stack, with possible bonuses attached, but I'm not sure about the bonuses yet (what they'll be, how much they would be worth, if I'd do them).

I have some different ideas up my sleeve for themes.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2016, 10:18:32 PM »
Kade, I'll play in yours if there are slots remaining.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2016, 11:09:01 PM »
I figure, it's like the 100m sprint.  Doesn't matter if you ran a 9.7... when someone else runs a 9.68, you are in 2nd place.

You've never watched the 100M sprint at the Olympics?  Faster = better. 9.68 (seconds) is faster than 9.7.

Comprende amigo?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2016, 11:26:16 PM »
Kade, I'll play in yours if there are slots remaining.

You're already on my invite list mate.

I should send invites in a day or so really.  Although who I've got down I pretty much know will be involved.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #267 on: April 06, 2016, 01:34:59 AM »
Very much looking forward to a few of the upcoming ones. By the looks of it I won't be up until at least end of the summer, which is perfect.

Splent, I've already been thinking about those bonuses myself too (kind of early yea), I think the optional bonus thing for certain themes Bolsters is doing could work pretty well. Only, to keep it simpler, I don't think I would be doing the thing where bonus points degrade when more people get the same bonus. You could still come up with some original fun themes to give it a little personal touch.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #268 on: April 06, 2016, 05:54:34 AM »

You've never watched the 100M sprint at the Olympics?  Faster = better. 9.68 (seconds) is faster than 9.7.

Comprende amigo?

:rollin

WTF was I thinking!  :facepalm:

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #269 on: April 06, 2016, 07:38:32 AM »
Yeah, I have my roulette pretty much planned out completely, even the OP is half done. However, I need to be finished before July starts and I don't think this will be possible if I start after the championship is over, so I'll probably do it in September or at the end of August, whenever there's an open space.  Otherwise i'd have to take a 2 month break in the middle of the roulette, and that just kills suspense completely.

Feel free to already tell me if you're interested in playing, who knows, I might reserve some places for early birds (if it comes to a qualifier, that is. not sure I'm popular enough for that :lol):

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2016, 07:54:41 AM »
I still have tons of stuff for you, so count me in ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2016, 08:06:45 AM »
Yeah, I have my roulette pretty much planned out completely, even the OP is half done. However, I need to be finished before July starts and I don't think this will be possible if I start after the championship is over, so I'll probably do it in September or at the end of August, whenever there's an open space.  Otherwise i'd have to take a 2 month break in the middle of the roulette, and that just kills suspense completely.

Feel free to already tell me if you're interested in playing, who knows, I might reserve some places for early birds (if it comes to a qualifier, that is. not sure I'm popular enough for that :lol):

We are not a match.   :biggrin:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2016, 08:09:03 AM »
I said that and got 17 interested parties, I think you'll do fine. :P

I think I'd throw my hat in and give your roulette a shot. I'm nowhere near 100% certain about your tastes, but I have some ideas already of some stuff to send that you hopefully wouldn't hate.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2016, 08:18:39 AM »
We are not a match.   :biggrin:

I'm inclined to agree with that after the championship roulette. ::)

I said that and got 17 interested parties, I think you'll do fine. :P

I think I'd throw my hat in and give your roulette a shot. I'm nowhere near 100% certain about your tastes, but I have some ideas already of some stuff to send that you hopefully wouldn't hate.

Yeah, but you also have about 7 times the amount of posts I have, so more people know you ;). I'll keep you on the list of people I'll invite, though.

I still have tons of stuff for you, so count me in ;)

I'll have you on that list as well ;).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: April 06, 2016, 10:41:20 AM »
I think I'm interested, Tyrias, but I'm probably going to send songs outside your comfort zone.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #275 on: April 06, 2016, 12:34:48 PM »
The whole reason I'm running a roulette is to get stuff outside of my comfort zone ::). If I wanted the same old stuff again, I'd just check out my spotify and itunes recommendations.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #276 on: April 06, 2016, 12:45:21 PM »
nothing but black metal

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #277 on: April 06, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
I want to be in all the roulettes so please invite me.

OK, coming up with bonuses. But I agree Train, I'm not going to degrade anyone, but I think as others have, I'll limit the amount of bonuses they can submit. I may do something else though. I just came up with a different type of idea. I don't know.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:38:09 PM by splent »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: April 09, 2016, 03:13:57 PM »
started my thread

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #279 on: April 09, 2016, 07:25:30 PM »
I'm close to piecing the things together for mine, just need to figure out exacly how I'm going to handle bonuses (scoring them and what to count as bonuses...)... I may need some advice. And yes, I'm keeping it relatively simple, but I don't want to make it completely straightforward either, I want to add some sort of stragetic element.

I know I delayed mine but April and May is concert/performance season for music teachers and I want to wait until most of mine are pretty much over before I start my roulette.