Author Topic: The Song Roulette Tracker Thread 3.0 - v. Betting on red just this once  (Read 298703 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: The Song Roulette Tracker Thread 3.0 - v. Betting on red just this once
« Reply #2100 on: November 03, 2022, 06:48:13 PM »
We might actually need to bring out the waiting list again!
Yep, just dusted off the "n/a" and removed it.

It looks like Litho was talking about running a roulette first, then Cyril (probably wanting to start later though?), then Tomislav? Let me know if there's anyone else who needs or wants to be added.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #2101 on: November 28, 2022, 05:11:34 AM »
Final open round of mine is done. I have no idea wether or not I’m gonna do the albums round or if I’m done. Anyway, feel free to send the next cab off the rank.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2102 on: November 29, 2022, 03:16:02 AM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2103 on: December 24, 2022, 10:31:12 PM »
Can any roulette veterans highlight a few of the past roulettes that were especially memorable and might be interesting to read through?  Maybe they had some legendary moments or had a really unique and creative format.  I've haphazardly skimmed through a number, but there are just so many, and most are pretty long. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2104 on: December 25, 2022, 06:05:40 AM »
Can any roulette veterans highlight a few of the past roulettes that were especially memorable and might be interesting to read through?  Maybe they had some legendary moments or had a really unique and creative format.  I've haphazardly skimmed through a number, but there are just so many, and most are pretty long.

I ain't gonna lie. I am quite proud of my third roulette format where I was able to score songs anonymously.
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53493

Stadler served as my secretary. Once my scores were submitted to Stadler, it was a lot of fun guessing who sent what. My hit rate was pretty decent. And the rounds were ON TIME!!

I was also happy with my EP roulette..
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54416
Again, the rounds were ON TIME!!  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2105 on: December 25, 2022, 06:46:17 AM »
I was also happy with my EP roulette..
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54416

I thought of recommending this roulette, that was fun. I remember doing hangman for my concept album: late November, I'm just out from Beyond the Black gig, it's cold and it's snowing, 1% charge on my phone, and there are no buses in vicinity. :lol

Also I think the last round was one of the best rounds in roulettes ever - clearly a lot of people gave it their best efforts and it showed (I certainly did and it showed, too :biggrin: three years later I still listen occasionally to that concept album I sent you).
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2106 on: December 25, 2022, 08:11:40 AM »

Also I think the last round was one of the best rounds in roulettes ever - clearly a lot of people gave it their best efforts and it showed (I certainly did and it showed, too :biggrin: three years later I still listen occasionally to that concept album I sent you).

Yours was probably the most amazing presentation of any submission in the history of rouletting!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2107 on: December 25, 2022, 08:47:57 AM »

Indiscipline’s. I regret not being a part of that insanity.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2108 on: December 25, 2022, 08:52:12 AM »
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 09:17:52 AM by TAC »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2109 on: December 25, 2022, 09:04:51 AM »
Yours was probably the most amazing presentation of any submission in the history of rouletting!

Just reread that thread and had a good laugh about Kade being tremendous at his job :lol

I have fond memories about Seneca's roulette (where I also sent a good concept album in collab with Puppies, even though it's not posted in the thread - Litho, by the off chance you're interested, I can dig it up) - this one had a curious format where we were divided into groups and each person had to provide a restrictive theme (I picked "no guitars" but forgot to specify that bass is also a guitar; Puppies picked "the career closers" - the last song on the last studio album for the band, and I remember that someone screwed us over with some screaming theme) - that one was a lot of fun.

The Championship one in 2016 was very engaging with the Mystery Judge thing (don't have a link) - although back then I was kinda salty that I lost. :lol

The Indiscipline v2 with the wrestling thing was golden.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 09:22:15 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2110 on: December 25, 2022, 02:17:06 PM »
I ain't gonna lie. I am quite proud of my third roulette format where I was able to score songs anonymously.

That is a fascinating idea, though it definitely complicates things in coordinating hangman and such.  It takes away a level of analysis based on previous submission history, and adds a different one.  I try hard to mentally separate songs from posters when giving scores, but I'm sure it's impossible to completely remove subconscious bias (though with some posters I'm not sure in which direction that is!). 

Hopefully this is aimed at certain other roulettes and not mine.  :)  I could go faster, but it'd mean less time for my thoughts and listening sessions to breathe, fewer listens, which would meant rolling a die on numerous ones for placement or a blind gut instinct, and shorter, more generic writeups and impressions. 

Indiscipline’s. I regret not being a part of that insanity.

Which one?  I see at least two. 

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52943

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54998

(where I also sent a good concept album in collab with Puppies, even though it's not posted in the thread - Litho, by the off chance you're interested, I can dig it up)

Yeah, that's be sweet. 

The Championship one in 2016 was very engaging with the Mystery Judge thing (don't have a link)

This one?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45409

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2111 on: December 25, 2022, 02:28:23 PM »
Indi's second roulette (wrestling themed) was a thing of magic.

Kattleox/Walrus had a very odd/unique one that he basically made up a board game out of it - I forget which of his roulette's that was though.  I think his 2nd.

Bolsters v2 had a unique way to give out extra points.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2112 on: December 25, 2022, 02:58:04 PM »
The Championship one in 2016 was very engaging with the Mystery Judge thing (don't have a link)

This one?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45409
Interesting, I didn't actually realise that Bolsters used that idea in the second championship roulette. I introduced it in the first one back in 2012, here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=34990.

Although I can't claim credit for coming up with the idea in the first place, the mystery judge himself did that. That was a ton of fun, especially with all the speculation and guessing. Also it was pre-hangman, so roulette threads were always short back then! :lol

Oh and yeah I definitely second Indi's second roulette, that was epic and generally hilarious.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2113 on: December 25, 2022, 03:04:32 PM »
It occurred to me the other day that 2022 will be the first year I've not completed a roulette of my own since 2016. Just been a really intense year for me, would never have had the time and headspace to do it. I very much hope that things settle down in time for me to do one in 2023 so it's just one year off.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #2114 on: December 27, 2022, 06:58:38 AM »

Hopefully this is aimed at certain other roulettes and not mine.  :)  I could go faster, but it'd mean less time for my thoughts and listening sessions to breathe, fewer listens, which would meant rolling a die on numerous ones for placement or a blind gut instinct, and shorter, more generic writeups and impressions. 

I think it’s pretty much pointed directly at me, and I accept it
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2115 on: December 27, 2022, 09:19:40 AM »
No it wasn’t pointed at you Deadeye. It was just an in general comment.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2116 on: December 27, 2022, 09:29:48 AM »
I'll jump on the 'Indi's roulette was the best ever' bandwagon as well, and not just because I was the winner :cheffypoo:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2117 on: December 27, 2022, 09:57:28 AM »
I'll jump on the 'Indi's roulette was the best ever' bandwagon as well, and not just because I was the winner :cheffypoo:

I've never chirped so much at Tim in that Roulette.  And that really says a lot.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2118 on: December 27, 2022, 12:35:16 PM »
Yeah, I gagged the finals in that one, although I did win the first one.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2119 on: December 27, 2022, 04:01:26 PM »

I remember jingle getting a little salty in that one because I used IQ's Stay Down against you in the royal rumble.  Next round, you, jingle and stads all challenged me, and I went out with a track off of Macho Man Randy Savage's rap album.   :hat :rollin
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2120 on: December 27, 2022, 04:18:06 PM »

I remember jingle getting a little salty in that one because I used IQ's Stay Down against you in the royal rumble.  Next round, you, jingle and stads all challenged me, and I went out with a track off of Macho Man Randy Savage's rap album.   :hat :rollin

I vaguely remember that.  I gotta go back and read that thread sometime.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2121 on: January 13, 2023, 01:00:32 PM »
Does anyone have contact information for 425?  It's been a whole month since he last posted, and over a week and a half since he's even logged in.  I'm kind of worried about him.  Hopefully nothing serious. 

Do we want to start getting the next roulette up and running anyway?  Hiatus or not for 425's, Luke's will be in the final round in not that long, and I'll soon be the lone non-final round roulette running.  Without other roulettes to send songs in I might just have to bump up my mystery songs to 5 or 6 per round.   :lol
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 01:06:10 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2122 on: January 13, 2023, 01:14:54 PM »
Luke's and Litho's are really the only two active right now, so I think Crow or Tomi should be able to get started if they're ready.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2123 on: January 13, 2023, 11:26:00 PM »
i am incredibly not ready to run a roulette at this specific moment, it turns out, so tomi can go if someone needs to start

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2124 on: January 15, 2023, 05:41:01 PM »
I won't move any of them to inactive/abandonded status just yet, but I've let Tomi know of the situation and suggested starting their roulette if they are ready.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2125 on: January 16, 2023, 07:28:05 AM »
I'm not ready right away but I can throw something together later today if there are people interested?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2126 on: January 16, 2023, 03:40:55 PM »
Well I'm definitely interested (assuming it's not a highly unusual roulette that's way out of my range), but I'd say take your time, no rush to get it up right away.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2127 on: January 31, 2023, 07:45:16 AM »
I'm feeling the itch to run another roulette soon-ish. Not sure I quite have the capacity just yet (still in the bloody-hard-work phase with the baby) but maybe in a month or two whenever things are more settled.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2128 on: January 31, 2023, 07:54:05 AM »
I'm feeling the itch to run another roulette soon-ish. Not sure I quite have the capacity just yet (still in the bloody-hard-work phase with the baby) but maybe in a month or two whenever things are more settled.

I'm in, still gotta send you that song that lost the coin flip to Elder. ;D

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2129 on: January 31, 2023, 08:20:59 AM »

I definitely have stuff that I'd pretty much only send in an Ariich roulette so ready when you are  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: January 31, 2023, 08:33:09 AM »
If I end up playing, all my concept albums will be banned!   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2131 on: January 31, 2023, 09:12:37 AM »

Yay a roulette that I can’t lose to you!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2132 on: January 31, 2023, 10:32:15 AM »

Excellent, I was wondering who else would be running roulettes soon, since Crow passed for the moment.  I'm overflowing with music to send.  Any idea on whether it'll be a more open roulette, or do you have some themes in mind? 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2133 on: January 31, 2023, 01:05:25 PM »
I'm in, still gotta send you that song that lost the coin flip to Elder. ;D
I forgot about that. Because it was two roulettes ago!

I definitely have stuff that I'd pretty much only send in an Ariich roulette so ready when you are  :tup
:heart

If I end up playing, all my concept albums will be banned!   :lol
You've been getting better and better in my roulettes so definitely have to play. If you like, I can stop checking out all the concept albums on your list for now. :lol

Yay a roulette that I can’t lose to you!
:heart

Excellent, I was wondering who else would be running roulettes soon, since Crow passed for the moment.  I'm overflowing with music to send.  Any idea on whether it'll be a more open roulette, or do you have some themes in mind? 
I'd love to have you in my next roulette(s). Undecided on approach currently. I like maintaining an open approach but I'm also keen to try and up the amount of non rock and metal I get sent, but in a way that doesn't mean people who wouldn't have much to send me would be excluded. I've considered some option such as doing two small roulettes in quick succession, e.g. 5 rounds each, one rock/metal and the other not. Or having a single roulette with rotating themes, so round 1 open, round 2 rock/metal, round 3 non-rock, round 4 open etc. If I do that then I might do something like dock a point or half a point for ignoring the theme. Alternatively, I'm rather liking the approach in your roulette of putting up reference songs, some of which are non-rock, and letting people interpret it in a way they feel comfortable with.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2134 on: January 31, 2023, 01:19:21 PM »
I'm also keen to try and up the amount of non rock and metal I get sent

You've definitely called the right number!

Or having a single roulette with rotating themes, so round 1 open, round 2 rock/metal, round 3 non-rock

Where have I seen that before...