Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. Gadzooks!  (Read 261523 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. Gadzooks!
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »
Oh Pep Boys... How I hate them so.

The check engine light comes on in Panda's PT Cruiser. I pull the code using the ignition trick (switch on to off to on 3 times and the code pulls up on the dash. Cool.)

I get the code. P0551. Code literally says faulty power steering pressure switch.  I read up on forums and how anyone with a bit of mechanical experience (more than I have) can fix it. The part is like $35. She takes it to Pep Boys and they wanna charge almost $200 in labor alone.

I call my uncle... who is a mechanic... and he says bring him the part and he'll change it out for $25 cash.

FUCK YOU PEP BOYS.

That's the norm Jay.  My cousin told me that some cars have headlights that take 2 hours to install since you have to take the side panel of the car and much more off.  We need to blame these damn engineers that make it impossible to work on your own car.

I have to remove the front bumper and quarter panels to remove the headlights in my MINI. Fucking ridiculous. I understand some shit has to be complicated to fit within given dimensions, but damn. It's like someone in a meeting said "we need our customers to need us for everything".

I had a friend back in the day who was a mechanic for VW. They charged $105 for labor and paid him $17 an hour. I get there is a markup to cover overhead and what not, but they already get close to a 45% margin on the parts.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2015, 02:27:15 PM »
Yup, they all upcharge at first.  The truth comes out if they take that long and if they do, you better be informed and you were.

Brian, it is nuts.  They have these books with how much time it should take but you read about 2 hours of labor for a damn headlight when I used to put my own bulbs in and it took me 5 to 10 minutes.  It's nuts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »
That's what I did with my uncle. He looked it up in his system. He told me the system says it should cost $45 in labor. He then said fuck it bring it in and he'll have it done for $25 cash. I'll probably wind up helping him with something techy while it's being done in exchange for the discount. Fair Trade.

$45 in labor seems correct in this case.  NOT $150. And then the upcharge for the part... a quick search priced it at $35 at Autozone. I'm sure I can get it cheaper. They (Pep Boys) were going to charge like $60 or some shit like that (I wasn't there so I don't know the exact number.)

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »
Call back to Pep Boys, ask for the service manager. tell them how you were overpriced in labor.  how you know and that they lost your business.  Stick it to them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »
Nah. She got the quote and said fuck that and asked me to call my uncle.

I learned that when they were trying to charge me like $600 to get my brakes done. My uncle did it for like $300.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2015, 06:33:45 AM »
Good morning, all.

Stomach bug.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2015, 06:41:17 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2015, 06:43:09 AM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2015, 07:00:44 AM »
Haha

Good morning.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2015, 08:11:45 AM »
Morning guys!

I just want to say Happy Birthday to my daughter Gianna.  She turns 5 day.  Unfortunately, because of this messy divorce, I won't get to see her today and I'm out of alcohol so it's going to be a long day. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2015, 08:19:08 AM »
Good morning guys.

I'm sorry to hear that Prog, I know there isn't anything I can say but for what it's worth I hope you have a good day.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2015, 08:30:51 AM »
You don't have to say anything. I just needed to vent. 

The show must go on! 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2015, 12:39:03 PM »
To make matters worse, I just got served papers for visitation and child support.  The visitation papers say that I should not be allowed to go near my child because I am in a detrimental mental state and under psychiatric care and that I need to seek counselling before I am able to have visitation rights.  Is she fucking kidding me? 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
Dude that sucks.  I think if you want to see your girl you'll have to go through that.  Courts are stacked hard against the husband in stuff like this.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2015, 12:47:20 PM »
Dude that sucks.  I think if you want to see your girl you'll have to go through that.  Courts are stacked hard against the husband in stuff like this.

I'm just beyond words at this point. What is my defense really?  I am not seeing a psychiatrist anymore.  Yes I have severe anxiety issues and depression issues but I'm not sure how that has handicapped towards being a good father. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2015, 03:17:03 PM »
Wtf

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2015, 03:42:50 PM »
Eh

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2015, 04:15:31 PM »
You know how you guys predicted that my sleeping pattern would be back to messed up again within a week? Well it's 9am and I haven't gone to sleep yet, so yeah. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »
You know how you guys predicted that my sleeping pattern would be back to messed up again within a week? Well it's 9am and I haven't gone to sleep yet, so yeah. :lol

I gave you one night.  I was way off 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2015, 05:52:55 PM »
Last night I think was around 6-7am when I got to sleep, night before that was 2am (fell asleep watching a Dracula movie).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2015, 06:45:53 AM »
Good morning!

That sounds pretty damn ridiculous Prog. If you don't mind me asking how long have you been in the divorce process?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2015, 06:46:39 AM »
Morning all

That sucks, PS.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2015, 07:05:53 AM »
My game of the day is taking descriptions from urban dictionary and pasting them into a voice synthesizer. And then I wonder why I don't get anything done. :blob:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2015, 07:12:15 AM »

I predicted 1 day so........ :lol

Morning.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2015, 07:15:24 AM »
Morning king.

btw, it was well after noon that I eventually got to sleep. I woke up at 6:45pm.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2015, 07:19:13 AM »
The body told you it was time.  I slept like crap last night.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2015, 07:21:15 AM »
I don't want my body to tell me "it's time". :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2015, 07:26:09 AM »
I want your body to tell me "it's time" :zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2015, 07:29:43 AM »

As if that's a requirement for you.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2015, 07:35:33 AM »
I leave for Vegas tomorrow  :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2015, 07:42:02 AM »
Monster Jam?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2015, 08:17:59 AM »

As if that's a requirement for you.

:lol

Not really, no.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2015, 08:20:27 AM »
I don't want my body to tell me "it's time". :lol

You don't have a say in this. :lol

Que in Kiss--Read My Body  (God I hate that song)

I leave for Vegas tomorrow  :metal

Show, slots?  Enjoy!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2015, 08:42:32 AM »
Well the good news is she calmed down a bit.  She has this problem where she just reacts and doesn't think first.  I went there last night to see my daughter and my ex and I spoke and we're doing alright.  We're not getting back together but she told me she would never keep me from seeing my daughter. My daughter has "special needs" and we both fear that she is getting affected by everything but can't express it.  She has a speech disorder and right now things are progressing and she is starting to say more words but you can tell that there is a lot she cannot say. She doesn't eat...anything. She is still on a bottle and jarred fruits. She can't chew.  We're not sure if it's a sensory thing or some kind of phobia with putting foods in her mouth.  So it's a lot of work and we fear that she is being affected by our situation and can't express it.  So she things it is best if I still see her often so she has the sense that I am still there. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2015, 10:09:27 AM »