Author Topic: History Channels "VIKINGS" - "SPOILERS"  (Read 18262 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: History Channels "VIKINGS" - "SPOILERS"
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2019, 09:44:35 AM »
I should be watching this, and I should be loving it.  I watch other things on History, and so see the ads, but I've only watched about three minutes of the actual show.

I will say this, though (and in a very positive way): from the little I've seen, that might be the best looking cast - women AND men - of any show on television.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2019, 10:44:26 AM »
I should be watching this, and I should be loving it.  I watch other things on History, and so see the ads, but I've only watched about three minutes of the actual show.

I will say this, though (and in a very positive way): from the little I've seen, that might be the best looking cast - women AND men - of any show on television.

I can tell you that the production quality alone makes it worth it. AND....the battle scenes are incredible. I don't think I've ever been disappointed by the show....if I have...it's been an episode or two but not nearly enough to even recall. All in all it's a series that is well worth the time you'd have to invest into it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2019, 10:50:49 AM »
Oh, and Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick). That's all that really needs to be said.  :biggrin:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2019, 11:12:13 AM »
Oh, and Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick). That's all that really needs to be said.  :biggrin:

Yep. She’s beautiful.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2019, 02:16:57 PM »
Agreed.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2019, 03:19:34 PM »
Travis Fimmell as Ragnar, Wardruna's soundtrack, the landscape where they film and of course Katheryn Winnick will always be for me the defining traits of Vikings. When there was some of that going on (and let's remember also Floki), the show was amazing with basically no exceptions.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2020, 09:40:49 AM »
I still stand by what I just posted. Well, not "just", it was so many months ago  :lol

Anyone still watching this? the first half of the sixth and final season is out. 10 episodes available, 10 to go.

The show is past beyond is prime but it manages to be good and atmospheric enough to keep interested. Season 6 (part 1) was nothing to write home about, but it was solid overall, and I'm confident in a good and acceptable conclusion to the series. I will miss these characters, these landscapes and the epic soundtrack.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: July 29, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »
Yep. Still watching. I agree with what you’ve said. The show is past its prime but it’s still a really good show. The first handful of seasons when Ragnar (Fimmell) was the main character were some of the best seasons of any show. He is so engaging as an actor.

I recommend this show to everyone who’s looking for a ‘new’ show. It’s well worth the watch.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #148 on: July 29, 2020, 12:25:03 PM »
Travis Fimmel as Ragnar was a godsend and his casting was in the league of Heath Ledger as the Joker. Absolutely mesmerizing in every single scene he's in.

Moving on with Ragnar's sons was a gamble that didn't really pay off, but I applaud the showrunner for trying it. The authors of Breaking Bad called themselves too cocky and too confident to write an initial scene for the final season where Walter was getting a machine gun (without knowing yet the full outcome), and they managed to write a good story around it. Sometimes you have to take risks.

This sixth season, IMO, also benefitted in going back to Norway. Sure, we still have the russian subplot, but it's still the north, it's still "viking-ish" in a sense. The England subplots were not that bad, and King Ecbert was a badass character, but we've seen so many of those historical shows about England.... it's VIKINGS so I wanna see vikings, I didn't miss the england characters at all and frankly I'd have a hard time to remember where we left them. I assume at least the young king, son of Athlestan, will have to come into play before the end.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2020, 05:30:34 PM »
I went back to this thread to say how much I miss Vikings and Ragnar but I see you already had that discussion.  :biggrin:

Sadly I lost interest somewhere in S05.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2020, 10:27:59 AM »
The final 'season' of Vikings is now airing on Amazon Prime ahead of going on the History channel. It' the back half of S6 but it feels like a new season given how long the break was. I watched the first 4 episodes last night.

SPOILER

I thought they gave Bjorn Ironside the best possible death his character could have had. It was really well done.

I've enjoyed this show immensely over the years.....the first few seasons being my favorites but it's stayed consistently good. There was a rough patch there after Ragnar died and they were establishing the other characters where it wasn't quite as good.....but I think they recovered and have continued to give us a pretty solid show. But, it is time to move on and I'm glad they've realized it. Looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out in the end.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2021, 01:00:31 AM »
Finished. All in all it was a satisfying ending to a really good series.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2021, 11:30:39 AM »
We finished it last night.  Thought it wrapped everything up very nicely!  Thoroughly enjoyed the whole series.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2021, 02:27:45 AM »
Just finished this yesterday. I thought it was a satisfying enough finale, but it was definitely time to wrap things up.

As much as I liked Ubba, Ivar, Bjorn, it felt like they were really dragging things out once Ragnar's story was done. It probably could have ended a season or two earlier and still finished strongly.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2021, 04:35:57 AM »
I didn’t care for the fact they had Ivar be the one who fatally injured Bjorn. Bjorn was an incredible warrior.....there’s no way Ivar who was crippled should have been able to deliver that fetal blow no matter how good they tried to make him seem as a warrior as well. I get ‘why’ they did it for the whole story of it and all.....just don’t agree with it.

But yeah.....satisfying series and good enough final few episodes to close it out.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2021, 06:28:14 AM »
Just finished this yesterday. I thought it was a satisfying enough finale, but it was definitely time to wrap things up.

As much as I liked Ubba, Ivar, Bjorn, it felt like they were really dragging things out once Ragnar's story was done. It probably could have ended a season or two earlier and still finished strongly.

I'm sure this is more because history itself is full of many more tales of Ivar, Ubba, Halfdan, and to a smaller degree Ironsides. Ragnar himself is seen as little more than an amalgamation of legends that probably refer to several different leaders exploits. That being said, yeah, this series lost me after Ragnar's death too.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2021, 02:17:46 PM »
Just found out today that there’s a spin off series in production - https://www.indiewire.com/2021/01/vikings-valhalla-cast-netflix-series-1234611924/

Of course I’ll check it out. I just hope it’s distinctive enough not to feel like Vikings Season 7.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2021, 07:56:41 AM »
Final bump - I finished it too!

Man, what a ride it has been, since the beginning until now. I wasn't even bothered with the final of the first part of Season 6 'cause it seemed all a dream or a vision, so Bjorn was stabbed for real? by Ivar? and then he died but he didn't? at least he got the most glorious and badass sendoff one could think for, hail Bjorn Ironside, you were with us, if not as an actor, as a character from the beginning, it was sad to see you go in the premiere, but what an epic sendoff it was!

And for other goodbyes....

- Bye Ivar, I hated you so much but by the time of the last season we all got used to you so we kinda went along with you. Enjoy creeping around the floor in Valhalla's great halls!

- Bye Harald, king of all Norway and of the friendzone! seriously, who else in the series got more luck than him? refused and abandoned by every woman, raped by Lagertha, and when he wanted to marry Bjorn's widow, she chose SUICIDE BY SWIMMING rather than marying him. He was a magnificent asshole you couldn't help to root for.

- Bye Hitvserk, I'm still pissed at how you killed Lagertha, and you kinda were along for the ride, but hey, at least you made out of it alive!

- Bye Ubbe, you discovered America, congrats!

And speaking of America... WHOHOHOOOOO WE GOT FLOKI BACK!!! ALL HAIL FLOKI THE SHIP BUILDER!!! A pity Gustaf sat out the whole season 6 except for the very end, at least he appeared in all seasons.

Final considerations: yeah, we all know that the series lost its charm after Ragnar was gone - Travis Fimmell was the casting decision of a lifetime, the best TV character seen on screen after Walter White, bar none. I only accept disagreements about this if we talk about Cillian Murphy as Thomas Shelby in Peaky Blinders, otherwise Travis wins  :biggrin:

Ragnar, Lagertha, Floki, the beautiful landscapes, the amazing music (thanks Wardruna).... whenever any of these elements was present, Vikings could do no wrong. Amazing series, the post Ragnar season weren't that great but still good enough to follow without regrets. I'm happy I stuck with it the whole time, and I forgive the series some errors and plot baffling choices here and there, overall it was a great experience and congrats to the authors for caring just enough to not make it end in a complete shitfest like another series that will go unmentioned.

Raise your horns for Vikings and Ragnar!!!  :metal

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2021, 11:04:22 AM »
Raise your horns for Vikings and Ragnar!!!  :metal

Skol!!  ;D

Yeah, a great series and one I’d recommend to others. I agree with the brilliant casting of Ragnar - a perfect blend of wild eyed craziness and cunning, but still able to portray a certain amount of wisdom about his legacy in the world to come.

Was there an episode where his name wasn’t mentioned? That would be an interesting one for trivia hunters.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2021, 11:49:52 AM »
I wouldn't know, but between Ragnar himself and talking about the sons of Ragnar, I wouldn't be too surprised if there isn't an episode without a mention of his name.