Author Topic: The Monty Python Thread  (Read 6518 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Monty Python Thread
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2015, 10:38:20 AM »
Life of Brian is great, and I would agree that it is probably more clever and multi-dimensional than The Holy Grail, but THG is just funnier, IMO.  I never not laugh when I watch The Holy Grail.
Same here.  I think that both are masterpieces, but for me there is a lot more replay value in Holy Grail.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2015, 10:48:09 AM »
The Holy Grail seems to be more structured as a series of comedy sketches, which makes it so that less active investment in the story is needed. That naturally makes it easier to watch and rewatch, casually. However, Life of Brian is superior as a movie in my opinion (but like I've said before, I love both). Life of Brian is, as Kev said, much more clever as a whole.

Plus, it has the 'Biggus Dickus' bit, which always completely cracks me up.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »
I think their movies directly reflect how they matured as a troupe, and as writers.  The first film, "And Now For Something Completely Different" was literally some of their sketches redone for the big screen.  "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" actually grew out of a sketch that they were writing during the final season of the Flying Circus.  The idea was that King Arthur and his Knights were somehow in modern-day England searching for the Holy Grail, and they ended up finding it at a department store, where you can find most anything.  They knocked it around for a while, it got longer and more involved, and they eventually decided to make it an actual period piece and a feature-length film.  But their experience at that point was still basically in writing sketches, so it does play out as a series of pieces that contribute to a whole, much like the individual songs in a concept album.  ( :omg: Monty Python were prog!)

"Monty Python's Life of Brian" is definitely a more fully realized concept, but I think it would not have been made had "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" not come first.  They needed the experience in working on a larger scale, and writing for the big screen.  Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam had some more film experience under their belts, and it shows.  It's a more mature work.  "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life" gets back to what I still think is their strength, which is funny sketches.  Another "concept album" if you will, with the overall theme of Life and its stages, it's really just a collection of sketches with the same theme.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2015, 11:24:49 PM »
Well-said  :tup
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 07:32:52 AM »
I think the election special is hilarious and Eric Idle in the travel agent sketch. Friend of my dads saw him do that live (as he does at the Hollywood Bowl) and he did not drop a beat:

Why, why, what's the point of going abroad if you're just going to be treated like a sheep? Carted around in buses surrounded by sweaty mindless oaves from Kettering and Boventry. Their bloth baps and their bardigans and their transistor radios, bomplaining about the tea — "Oh, they don't make it properly, do they?" And stopping at endless Majorcan bodegas selling fish and chips and Watney's Red Barrel and calamaries and two veg, and sitting in their cotton sun frocks, squirting Timothy White's sun cream all over their puffy, raw, swollen, purulent flesh 'cos they overdid it on the first day, and being herded into endless Hotel Miramars and Bellevueses, Bontinentals with their international luxury modern roomettes and swimming pools full of draught Red Barrel and fat German businessmen pretending to be acrobats and forming pyramids and frightening the children and barging into the queues. And if you're not at your table spot on seven you miss your bowl of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, the first item in the menu of International Cuisine. Every Thursday night there's bloody cabaret in the bar featuring some tiny, emaciated dago with nine-inch hips and some fat bloated tart with her hair Brylcreemed down and big **** presenting Flamenco for Foreigners, and adenoidal typists from Birmingham with flabby white legs and diarrhea trying to pick up hairy, bandy-legged, wop waiters called Manuel. And once a week there's an excursion to local Roman remains, where you can buy cherryade and melted ice cream and bleedin' Watney's Red Barrel. And one night they take you to a typical restaurant with local atmosphere and color and you sit next to a party of people from Rhyl who keep singing "I love the Costa Brava! I love the Costa Brava!" And you get cornered by some drunken greengrocer from Luton with an Instamatic camera and last Tuesday's Daily Express and he drones on and on and on about how Ian Smith should be running the country and how many languages Margaret Powell can speak and then she throws up all over the cuba libres. And spending four days on the tarmac at Luton Airport on a five-day package tour with nothing to eat but dry British Airways-type sandwiches. And you can't even get a glass of Watney's Red Barrel because you're still in England and the bloody bar closes every time you're thirsty. And the kids are crying and vomiting and breaking the plastic ashtrays. They keep telling you it'll only be another hour, but you know damned well your plane is still in Iceland and has to come back and take a party of Swedes to Yugoslavia before it can load you up at 3 a.m. in the morning. And then you sit on the tarmac for four hours because of unforeseen difficulties, i.e. the permanent strike of air traffic control over Paris. When you finally get to Malaga airport, everybody's queueing for the bloody toilet and queueing for the bloody armed customs officers and queueing for the bloody bus that isn't there, waiting to take you to the hotel that hasn't yet been built. When you finally get to the half-built Algerian ruin called the Hotel del Sol, by paying half your holiday money to a licensed bandit in a taxi, there's no water in the pool, there's no water in the bog, there's no water in the tap, there's only a bleeding lizard in the bidet, and half the rooms are double-booked, and you can't sleep anyway, 'cause of the permanent 24-hour drilling of the foundations of the hotel next door. Meanwhile, the Spanish National Tourist Board promises you the raging cholera epidemic is merely a mild outbreak of Spanish Tummy, rather like the previous outbreak in 1616 even the bloody rats are dying from it! Meanwhile, the bloody Guardia are busy arresting 16-year-olds for kissing in the streets. And finally, on the last day in the airport lounge, everybody's buying little awful horrid donkeys with their names on, and bullfight posters with their own names on, like Antonio ----, Mr Brian Pules of Norwich. And then finally when you get to bloody Luton, you're ---- around for another four hours, while they find a plane that has to take you back to Manchester. And when you finally get to Manchester, there's only another bloody bus you have to wait 16 hours for...
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2015, 08:23:54 AM »
I'd vote for Tarquin Fin- tim- lin- bin- whin- bim- lin- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olé- Biscuitbarrel any day of the week; what a guy!

And yeah, Idle had a real knack for rattling on like that. I think there were a few instances where he'd do that and it always amazed me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2015, 09:13:15 AM »
I like that sketch where they're interviewing ( i think ) the world's oldest man and his name is so long that every time they say it in full it takes about 2 minutes to say it and at the end of the sketch - the guy just dies before answering.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »
I like that sketch where they're interviewing ( i think ) the world's oldest man and his name is so long that every time they say it in full it takes about 2 minutes to say it and at the end of the sketch - the guy just dies before answering.
Johan Gambleputty. . .of Ulm.

The only part I really found funny was that when the interview came to an abrupt end, Cleese (the interviewer) went off camera and returned with a shovel to start digging a grave for him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »
 :lol, yes
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 06:49:22 AM »
"Oh, mother, don't be so sentimental. Things explode everyday."

"Oooo, I suppose so. Anyway, I didn't really like her that much."

:rollin
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 09:28:30 AM »
I like the sketch where some german composer ( Mozart? ) is hosting a show about deaths that week .

There's a segment of the show called "request death" and someone nominates Graham Chapman's character - who we then see in an armchair suddenly die.

:lol

And of course The Funniest Joke Ever sketch is classic and The Argument sketch.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2015, 03:50:44 PM »
I think it's odd that no one else wants to talk about the insane cartoons they had on the show.

(In my opinion that was the best work that Terry Gilliam, the only American member of the group, ever did.

Never cared much for his movies.)

Remember the one where they showed what watching too much T.V. REALLY does to your eyes?

I think, in way they helped pave the way for things like Beavis and Butthead, South Park, and some of the prime time and Adult Swim animated series.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:57:29 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2015, 04:38:16 PM »
Stop it!  Stop right there!  You are correct -- no one else wants to talk about the cartoons, so just stop it!

Actually, the cartoons served a very important purpose in the show: they usually linked the sketches together, when there was no other way.  Later, there were more complete bits which were entirely animated.  Perhaps coincidentally, but perhaps not, Gilliam was originally not listed as a proper member of Monty Python; the other five names were listed in the credits, and there was always "Animations by Terry Gilliam" or something like that.  Eventually, he was "promoted" to a full member of the troupe.  This was also after he'd appeared in a number of sketches as well.

His films are hit-or-miss for me, usually falling into the "miss" category, but with a few exceptions.  I liked Time Bandits.  I understood The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, but I'm not sure about its rewatchability for me.  The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was pretty cool, but also pretty weird, as all his films are.  There's no question that Terry Gilliam is a real artist.  I mean, his films show that there's clearly something not normal about him, but if you can enjoy the ride, there's a lot of really cool shit going on.  Unfortunately, he's usually a bit too "out there" even for me.  A lot of his film is just nonstop WTF for me.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »
Zero Theorem definitely fell in the "out there" category. I loved Parnassus

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
He was listed in the closing credits with the rest of them (alphabetically) at the second episode. The first he was "also appearing" with Carol Cleavage. While not treated as an actor early on (which is unfortunate, IMO) he was always considered one of six members.
E.F. Benson

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2015, 11:55:43 PM »
finally got around to watching Monty Python Live (Mostly).  great send off for the Pythons, really wish they'd done some of these shows in the US, but oh well.
some of the best moments are when they crack up or lose their place  :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2015, 04:47:34 AM »
This thread made me realise I've never actually watched Holy Grail in its entirety.

I just popped it on and spotted the swedish subtitles and paused the movie to turn them off (can never NOT read subtitles).  Got super confused when I saw there were no subtitles selected :lol  Epically trolled by a movie released 14 years before I was born.  I feel like a little boy who's just been given a lesson in smarts by his grandpa.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2015, 05:31:36 AM »
I nominate 12 Monkeys as best Gilliam film.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2015, 05:43:54 AM »
Yes, Twelve Monkeys is absolutely brilliant.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2015, 07:09:59 AM »
This thread made me realise I've never actually watched Holy Grail in its entirety.

I just popped it on and spotted the swedish subtitles and paused the movie to turn them off (can never NOT read subtitles).  Got super confused when I saw there were no subtitles selected :lol  Epically trolled by a movie released 14 years before I was born.  I feel like a little boy who's just been given a lesson in smarts by his grandpa.

Nice.  Yeah, I've never really thought of it as trolling, but in this context, I guess that's what it was, and what they did.  Heh heh.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2015, 08:17:28 AM »

Better still, I believe they were gibberish anyway. Even the Swedes would have been trolled.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2015, 08:20:31 AM »
If you're talking about these subtitles, then it's not Swedish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djKPvXDwXcs

Looks more like a parody of the Norwegian or Icelandic language.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2015, 08:21:56 AM »
Those ? :rollin

I saw this film when I was about 13 and I always knew they were a joke. Even back then.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »
Also - that must be the inspiration for all the Zucker & Abrams movie credits such as Airplane ! and The Naked Gun.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2015, 08:26:00 AM »

There ya are. I knew we had a resident Swede around here somewhere. Although that wasn't the explanation I was expecting.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2015, 08:27:01 AM »
Sorry to disappoint  :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2015, 04:47:37 PM »
Those ? :rollin

I saw this film when I was about 13 and I always knew they were a joke. Even back then.

Who's a clever boy then!

I figured they were 'fake swedish' after the 'why not try a holiday in Sweden this year' line.  Google reckons I'm not the only one who made that jump.  Immense apologies to our true swede brothers and sisters.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2015, 04:30:37 AM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
I've got 6th row seats to see Cleese and Idle doing whatever it is they're doing tonight. Should be a hoot. Anybody else seen this or plan to? Did anybody even know they were touring?
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2016, 01:34:28 PM »
Oh, and they had better examples of trolling. On one of the records they recorded two different two completely different sets of sketches and put them on separate groove tracks on one side of the record. Until you figured it out, and for the average Python fan of the era that might have taken months, you'd hear completely different recordings based seemingly at random but really depending on where the record was when you set the needle down.

I know they also wanted to do a bit where the volume lowered very gradually over twenty five minutes so you'd keep turning it up. Then it would finish off with an insanely loud recording of a Sousa march or something. Not sure if this ever happened, though. 
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2016, 01:48:49 PM »
6th row.  Thats awesome El Barto.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2016, 01:52:23 PM »
I've got 6th row seats to see Cleese and Idle doing whatever it is they're doing tonight. Should be a hoot. Anybody else seen this or plan to? Did anybody even know they were touring?
I did not.  I know about the screeings of Holy Grail coming up with Cleese doing a Q&A afterwards, but it isn't coming anywhere near me.

Oh, and they had better examples of trolling. On one of the records they recorded two different two completely different sets of sketches and put them on separate groove tracks on one side of the record. Until you figured it out, and for the average Python fan of the era that might have taken months, you'd hear completely different recordings based seemingly at random but really depending on where the record was when you set the needle down.

I know they also wanted to do a bit where the volume lowered very gradually over twenty five minutes so you'd keep turning it up. Then it would finish off with an insanely loud recording of a Sousa march or something. Not sure if this ever happened, though.
Glorious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2016, 02:01:44 PM »
I did not.  I know about the screeings of Holy Grail coming up with Cleese doing a Q&A afterwards, but it isn't coming anywhere near me.
Hadn't heard of those. Roger Ebert once spoke of attending a screening of Pulp Fiction at some film-studies seminar where anybody could yell stop and they'd pause the film to discuss various aspects of it. Something like that would be interesting, though I doubt Cleese has the patience for it. Maybe they could break it up into 20 minute sections or something. Doing a post screening Q&A would be rather generic. It'd be nice to be able to delve into specifics.

At the same time, while I consider Cleese to be one of the funniest men on the planet, he never struck me as a very nice man. I could see him really cutting people to shreds at such an affair.

And all else withstanding, I'd much rather see Life of Brian in his company than Holy Grail, and based on everything I've heard from the man, so would he. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2016, 02:15:13 PM »
The first Monty Python album I got was "The Monty Python Matching Tie & Handkerchief" and it was three-sided.  Both sides of the record are labeled "Side 2".  One side is normal, somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes of sketches, and the other side has two concentric grooves.  Depending on where the needle came down, you would hear a different track.  Also, the entry points are not directly opposite each other on the vinyl; there's about a 2/3 chance that you'll play one track rather than the other, so it could be several times playing "Side 2" of the album before you happen to hear a completely different set of sketches.

The record jacket was fun.  It looks like a gift box you might buy for somebody, a matching tie and handkerchief set.

The outer jacket originally had a cutaway revealing the inner sleeve, enhancing the 3-D effect a bit (mine is like this! :)).  When you pull out the record in the sleeve, you see that it's another Terry Gilliam drawing.

Monty Python albums are cool.  Many of them are made up of mostly the same sketches you've seen in the television series, but they're different, sometimes subtly and sometimes quite a bit.  They're like the "studio versions" of the sketches, and the TV series has the "live versions".  Things are reworked when the humor specifically comes from what's visible on screen, or other accommodations are made.  They are worthwhile.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:22:51 PM by Orbert »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2016, 02:30:42 PM »
The album version of Holy Grail is excellent. It's about 60/40 bits from the movie and new connecting bits.
E.F. Benson