Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Roo Let v. Let's Get It On (Final Standings Inside!)  (Read 33372 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roo Let v. Let's Get It On
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2015, 02:56:44 PM »
Round 1 Results

#8(1 Point): Nekov – “Welcome to Nowhere” - Frost*

I feel bad for putting this one last because I still thought it was a good song, it just didn’t quite hit me like the others did. This is a band I’ve been meaning to check out for a while and still really plan to. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard a song or two from them before, and I remember liking one of those a lot. I’m still willing to give this band a lot of listens, maybe this just wasn’t the most compatible song. I just didn’t feel that there was much about this one that really stood out.  Still though, it was a good song, and thanks for the submission! Honestly, this probably could have received a 7 on a scale that’s 1-10, but I like the ranking idea better because I feel it makes it more challenging for the person submitting the song and me as well. Plus, I like ranking things.

#7(2 Points): kingshmegland – “Life Simulator” – Slow Motion Reign

I like this one. I’m a big fan of the vocal melodies and the whole song kind of has an eerie feeling to it. It’s got somewhat of a dreamy atmosphere as well, which made it really enjoyable. I really don’t have a lot to say about this one except that it’s a good song but I found most of the other ones just even more enjoyable. Good song choice!

#6(3 Points): Scorpion – “Glory Box” – Portishead

You and senecadawg probably had the most unique entries out of all, for obvious reasons. This one is really slow and laid back, and I swear I’ve heard this on some kind of movie before, like a final scene or something. It’s a good song and her vocals are great. It makes me want to walk through a desert with a cool ass camel and a socket wrench in my left hand.

#5(4 Points): Parama – “Carnival” – Thank You Scientist

When first listening to this, a more progressive Coheed and Cambria came to mind. It’s a really fun tune and I like all the different instruments used in the making of this. The only thing is, I can’t really listen to this so much without thinking of Coheed and Cambria. The music is somewhat similar I feel, but it’s really just the vocals. Just not quite as high as Claudio’s. This isn’t a bad thing, but it feels like something I’ve heard already. Still though, the song is really good!

#4(5 Points): Elite – “The Doorway” – Spock’s Beard

Spock’s Beard is a band I tried checking out about a year ago, but just never got around to it. After listening to a handful of songs, I stopped and just never came back. The Doorway is definitely the longest of the submissions, but that’s to be expected when Neal Morse is involved. I really dig the piano intro and despite being 11 minutes, it’s not as proggy as expected. It’s fairly straightforward in my opinion, which is a nice change of pace from other Neal Morse stuff I’ve heard before. My favorite part of the song is the last minute and a half or so, and the guitar work is admirable throughout the whole song. Great submission!

#3(6 Points): black_floyd – “Muttersprache” – Gordian Knot

This one would have ranked lower earlier, but now it has found its way up to third place. I was expecting something just like Liquid Tension Experiment, but I feel this song has its own identity. It doesn’t feel like a bunch of recycled instrumental passages, it’s got a fresh feeling to it. It’s constantly changing and the middle section of the song is simply beautiful. I certainly wasn’t expecting it to have much emotional appeal to it and was thinking it was just going to be more by the book, but you surprised me with a really good song. Thanks!

#2(7 Points): Sacul – “Where is Now?” – David Maxim Micic

Wow, what a song! This one hooked me right from the beginning with the beautiful piano intro. I’ve seen you mention this guy before but I never really gave it too much thought about checking him out for some reason. I’m not sure why I did that. This felt very original, and while the riffs early in the song have that “djenty” feel (a word I seldom use) to them, it feels unique and exciting with all the other stuff going on during these parts. I absolutely love the part where it steps up to a heavier level. I don’t know what to call it but his “mouth solo” is pretty fucking great. This song is wonderful and it hit me in the most perfect way possible. But how could it not be ranked #1?

#1(8 Points): senecadawg2 – “Dona Nobis Pacem 2”- Max Richter (The Leftovers)

As much as I’ve enjoyed every song submitted, this one takes the cake. Maybe I’ve just got a soft spot for soundtracks because this one makes me feel emotional and I haven’t even seen the show yet. I love how the song starts out really quiet and gradually builds up over the course. I love love love the strings in this piece, as you probably would have predicted. This is one of those pieces where I can just lie here and close my eyes and really feel something. My only complaint is that it ends before I know it. This one is great and it’s the number one song of the first round for me!

All these songs ranged from good to very good, to great, to fantastic. Thank you all!

You can go ahead and send me the songs for the next round if you're ready!

Standings after Round 1:

1. senecadawg2 - (8 Points)
2. Sacul - (7 Points)
3. black_floyd - (6 Points)
4. Elite - (5 Points)
5. Parama - (4 Points)
6. Scorpion - (3 Points)
7. kingshmegland - (2 Points)
8. Nekov - (1 Point)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:57:52 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2015, 03:24:42 PM »
Glad ya liked it  :)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 03:52:46 PM »
Ooh!  Some tough competition going on here.  Great music!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2015, 04:09:45 PM »
Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2015, 04:39:59 PM »
:'(

Will send soon. AND YOU BETTER LIKE IT OR ELSE
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2015, 05:56:09 PM »
I like ranking things.
I feel ya bro.

Sending another song in then, yes.

EDIT: so I'm trying to pick out one song from the oh-my-god-how-are-you-not-aware-of-this-yet artist but it's tough
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:22:35 PM by Parama »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2015, 06:27:07 PM »
Yeah my list is pretty small. I didn't really get serious in listening to music until a few years ago.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2015, 08:10:47 PM »
Great! :laugh: David is all kinds of awesome, my fav djent artists.

By the way, is there a rule about repeating bands on future rounds?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »
Great! :laugh: David is all kinds of awesome, my fav djent artists.

By the way, is there a rule about repeating bands on future rounds?

Hmm.. yeah let's try to keep it to no repeats so we can have as much variety as possible! :metal

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2015, 09:00:45 AM »
I've received 5 entries for round 2 so far. I still need them from Elite, Nekov, and Sacul. Since I had originally planned to spend one week each round, it will be completely fine if I don't get the songs today or tomorrow. We are ahead of schedule anyway but it sounds like most people would like a somewhat speedy roulette, which is fine by me. So there's no rush at all, just letting you all know :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roo Let v. Let's Get It On (Round 2 Submissions!)
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2015, 11:58:13 AM »
Well that sucks.....

Sent round 2
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2015, 12:44:23 PM »
Sent.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2015, 10:24:23 PM »
Liking the variety of these entries!

Results will come at a later time.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2015, 01:40:03 PM »
I've listened to each song numerous times and I'm already getting these results ready. Anyone interested?

Also, this round is even stronger than the first round. :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »
I've listened to each song numerous times and I'm already getting these results ready. Anyone interested?

Yes- I'm interested.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »
like i said, post you're results when you're done, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks  :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2015, 01:50:29 PM »
k

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2015, 02:53:19 PM »
Round 2 Results:

#8(1 Point): Scorpion – “The Transfiguration Fear” – Sigh

You were right: the vocals just do not do it for me. I don’t hate them, but I think I’d enjoy this song more if it was instrumental. I still like the song, but the vocals bring it down for me and unfortunately puts it at last place. Still, the guitar work in this song is badass. The latter half of the song is the best, probably because it’s more focused on the instruments, and the solos are very cool. Harsh vocals are really hit or miss with me, and I can never explain why I like/dislike them. Send me as many sad pandas as needed! :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :biggrin:

#7(2 Points): Elite – “Dark Water” – Agent Fresco

This is a neat little song, kind of reminds me of Haken going in a poppy direction, in a good way. It’s got a good vibe and that piano break near the end is superb. I really like the vocalist, that’s why I said it reminded me of Haken a little bit. I’ve never even heard this band before but I’m definitely going to check more of their stuff out!

#6(3 Points): senecadawg2 – “9 Crimes” – Damien Rice

Ah, Seneca, yet another slower emotional song. This time, it’s not at the top, but it’s nice, sweet song. I get this feeling you may have sent me this a long time ago, because it sounds a little bit familiar. I don’t remember well, though. I enjoy the dual vocals from both Damien and whoever the chick is. This one didn’t really get to me as much as I thought it would, but it’s still a beautiful song. Thanks bro.

#5(4 Points): black_floyd – “Ancestry of the Antichrist” - Byzantine

Ah, floydy, yet another… wait. No.

I like this one. The harsh vocals in this song actually really click with me, and I remember hearing something from them before, maybe from you, and I really enjoyed it as well. As much as I like the heavy parts, I like the “Atonement”-esque section in the middle, and the following guitar solo is sick as hell. This band really knows how to be METAL. And that’s a good thing. Whoever the guitarist is, well, he’s great. Thanks, this one is kick ass.

#4(5 Points): Sacul – “Sowing Season” – Brand New

This is one big band and album I really need to check out. I tried it one time a while back but didn’t remember anything about it. This song shows some real emotion for sure, even if I haven’t studied the lyrics. The mood of this song is really dark, especially when he starts yelling. I’m definitely going to be spinning this album ASAP because this first song has me amazed and hooked. Thank you dude!

#3(6 Points): kingshmegland – “The End is Beautiful” – Echolyn

This song actually caught me off guard, it sounded pretty weird at first but it only got better as it went! I’ve never even heard of this band, but they definitely have me intrigued now. I love the “Drive in circles, wait for the words” section as I think the vocals in this song are fantastic. I can’t really describe why I like this song so much, maybe that it feels so original and fresh. Awesome tune!

#2(7 Points): Parama – “Amazing Flight” – Ayreon

Holy shit, very unexpected. I didn’t even think much when I saw the artist you sent because I knew they were a popular progressive metal band on here, a genre I’m ironically not so fond of. I really need to stop that shit. This doesn’t sound like any progressive metal I’ve heard. It’s almost got a bluesy feel at the intro, and it’s really groovy. For a second I was waiting for Stevie Ray Vaughan to jump on in with a solo. My favorite part is probably the solos at the end with the incorporation of the flute, it’s so sweet.

#1(8 Points): Nekov – “Summer’s Glory” – Alcest

Damn dude, first round you finish last and this round you finish first! What’s your secret? Inconsistency, probably. Nah, this song is honestly my favorite of all of them so far, including round 1. This song is pure beauty, from start to finish. My friend and I were actually wanting to write and play some music and this is the style of music I’d probably love to play most. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this track, and you did a fine job of picking it. I was listening to all these songs while driving home today and this one just stood out on its own. I could have this on repeat and I probably wouldn’t get tired of it. Thanks so much for this, I haven’t heard something this nice in a long time.

Current Standings:

1. Sacul - (12 Points)
2. senecadawg2 - (11 Points)
2. Parama - (11 Points)
4. black_floyd - (10 Points)
5. Nekov - (9 Points)
6. kingshmegland - (8 Points)
7. Elite - (7 Points)
8. Scorpion - (4 Points)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
Oh and sorry for my short write ups. I'm a terrible writer and I'm much better at getting my point across through words. :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2015, 03:14:41 PM »
Great! I think the best way to connect with that Brand New album is through the lyrics - I'm sure you'll identify with them. And once you do it, it will destroy your soul.

Wait, you never listened to Ayreon? I'm disappoint :lol . But thanks Parama for fixing it. You should also check The Human Equation - Arjen's masterpiece.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2015, 03:16:07 PM »
Yes I'm an ignorant noob  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2015, 03:40:59 PM »
Yeah, The Human Equation is probably the best Ayreon album, but the single songs off Into The Electric Castle work better out of context, and also are generally better than the best The Human Equation songs. Arjen totally does the Progressive Metal thing some but Ayreon's a lot more than that. And Ayreon is only one of his projects, there's also Star One, Ambeon, his solo albums, Guilt Machine, The Gentle Storm (literally out today I think  :lol ) and probably more I don't even remember.

though I'm tempted to send more prog metal just to see what happens now  :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »
It seems inconsistency is my thing lately in roulettes  :lol

Joking aside, I'm glad you enjoyed the song so much and as you say, it's beautiful and near perfect

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
And sent

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 04:37:59 PM »
:(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2015, 04:38:43 PM »
Why do I feel like some kind of dick when peoples' songs rank low :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2015, 04:40:11 PM »
Because that song is worth far more than two points in any roulette :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2015, 04:41:18 PM »
NOT MINE.

Hey... you could be Scorpion. ::) ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2015, 04:44:55 PM »
No, I couldn't be
Squ

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2015, 04:46:34 PM »
Oh shit..

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2015, 05:34:31 PM »
Sended.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yo Biz!  Can't you just hear the guy driving around in his car trying to figure out how to break it off with the girl?!  I just loved how they got that across in the music and lyrics.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Yo Biz!  Can't you just hear the guy driving around in his car trying to figure out how to break it off with the girl?!  I just loved how they got that across in the music and lyrics.

Yeah man it was awesome, really appreciate it :)

Oh and from now on, I'll send everyone PM's when I post results and update the thread title.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just got into them with their self titles 2012 album.  Believe it or not that 2005 album was the one before it. :lol  They took quite the time off.  They have a new album coming out sometime this year.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Awesome, I'll definitely check it out :tup