Poll

Are you in favour of annual clock adjustments or should we leave it be?

I am in favour of daylight savings
23 (41.8%)
I am opposed as I prefer to carry out my (mis)deeds in the dark
32 (58.2%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: March 12, 2015, 07:27:07 AM

Author Topic: Daylight Savings - Yay or nay?  (Read 15400 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Daylight Savings - Yay or nay?
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2023, 05:53:37 AM »
Apparently this is the end of daylight savings in the US though. Its never really bothered me, but that will be interesting to see how noticeable it is no longer doing it.

Wait, wut?

It seems that a bill (Sunshine Protection Act) was approved LAST YEAR?!?!?!  Never heard about it, and I don't recall Canada ever following suit.  More digging - the bill passed last year in the Senate, but stalled in the house.  Rubio re-introduced it last week.

So, in the famous words of Winston Wolff... let's not start suckin each others' dick's quite yet.

Oh yeah, the sunshine act. That's what I was thinking of.

Heard about it and totally forgot about it.  :lol

Just assumed it was going down. We'll see I guess

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2023, 07:37:57 AM »
I'd be more fine with it if the USA and Europe would switch on the same date. But I fail to see the need for it nowadays.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2023, 08:50:53 AM »
Apparently this is the end of daylight savings in the US though. Its never really bothered me, but that will be interesting to see how noticeable it is no longer doing it.

Wait, wut?

It seems that a bill (Sunshine Protection Act) was approved LAST YEAR?!?!?!  Never heard about it, and I don't recall Canada ever following suit.  More digging - the bill passed last year in the Senate, but stalled in the house.  Rubio re-introduced it last week.

So, in the famous words of Winston Wolff... let's not start suckin each others' dick's quite yet.

I heard an NPR story that it isn't a firm thing yet because they are unsure which time to stick with. As a summery they said daylight savings is great for shopping and standard time is better for our internal clocks we we'll probably stick with daylight savings :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2023, 09:21:50 AM »
Woke up confused about sleeping in today along with the kids waking up late. Pleasant surprise that I got to sleep in, kinda pissed day's already half done.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2023, 11:51:27 AM »

Wait, wut?

I heard an NPR story that it isn't a firm thing yet because they are unsure which time to stick with. As a summery they said daylight savings is great for shopping and standard time is better for our internal clocks we we'll probably stick with daylight savings :lol
Hurray capitalism!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2023, 01:07:09 PM »

Wait, wut?

Hurray capitalism!
Yeah, what's a half million years of human evolution when Home Depot can slightly boost their sales for 1 hour a day?  We're all SOL. :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2023, 01:37:39 PM »
Sorry, but for me, it has nothing to do with commerce. I just prefer to have my daylight at the end of the day instead of the beginning. I honestly hope we stick with DS.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2023, 05:57:59 PM »
I want them just to choose one. The sleep experts say standard time is the best and everyone wants permanent daylight savings. Fine. Just pick one. It seems that nearly everyone including the sleep experts agrees that changing back and forth is the worst of the three options.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2023, 07:02:13 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/12/the-creation-of-modern-time/421419/

Overall, time reformers were remarkably successful at bending the world to their will. But it was a hard-won achievement. Around the globe, local populations resented European meddling with their everyday lives and traditional rhythms. The citizens of Bombay openly revolted. In late Ottoman Beirut, colorful and cosmopolitan, locals cheerfully acknowledged new ways of measuring time without relinquishing the old. The chimes of new public clocks overlapped with church bells and muezzin calls. Transitgoers consulted bus schedules with both European and Turkish times. A paradoxical enterprise with unintended consequences, time reform often caused more chronological chaos than it resolved.

Many Europeans needed convincing, too. France adopted a nationwide mean time in 1891 but refused to adopt the Greenwich meridian; politicians preferred to calculate the hours in Paris rather than suffer the national indignity of setting French time with an English observatory. Daylight saving time, another pet project for time reformers, struck many as a plot to steal extra hours from workers. Others thought it was an unforgivable attempt to play God. Still others worried about an encroaching state. One grumpy British reader wrote to The Spectator in 1907 that time reform “proposes to put us to bed and get us up by Act of Parliament. Personally, I like to choose my own time for these operations.” Challenged and ignored on every continent well into the 20th century, modern timekeeping did not simply emerge; it had to be imposed.

Time reform was modernity defined in Western terms, developed to suit the interests and assumptions of the world’s wealthiest and most powerful citizens. Synchronization made it easier for European elites to project their influence and sell their goods. But losses mounted among the poor and the powerless. In Natal, for instance, indigenous populations lost the right to mark time for themselves after missionaries deemed Zulu calendars wasteful and backwards. Around the world, local traditions and rhythms were erased in the name of progress. Opponents of time reform were astute enough to recognize that the future they were being straitjacketed into was neither necessary nor equal nor democratic. It was designed to benefit some more than others.

Very fascinating to know about why humans implemented the global clock.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2023, 08:07:26 PM »
Sorry, but for me, it has nothing to do with commerce. I just prefer to have my daylight at the end of the day instead of the beginning. I honestly hope we stick with DS.

I am with ya.  It always feel so strange when we "fall back" in the autumn and it is dark outside already when I am leaving the office at 5 pm. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2023, 08:26:19 PM »
I'm sure I'm repeating myself, but I don't care which we keep or whether we split the difference.  It's the act of changing the clocks that is nonsensical and disruptive.  The wife has an early yoga class on Sunday mornings, so she got jobbed out of an hour of sleep, and I've been out of sorts all day.  The fall back is nice, but I'll never forget that first year when my son was 5 months old.  His routine was super important, and all of a sudden keeping him awake for what felt to him like an extra hour was horrible for a week or so until he got used to it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2023, 08:33:59 PM »
I want them just to choose one. The sleep experts say standard time is the best and everyone wants permanent daylight savings. Fine. Just pick one. It seems that nearly everyone including the sleep experts agrees that changing back and forth is the worst of the three options.

This seems to be the prevailing attitude among people I know. I'm the minority where I prefer standard time, I like the nighttime and it's easier to wake up as the sun is going up (however I have some hue blubs that help in that aspect)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2023, 09:20:49 PM »
It really doesn't matter what we stick with, I just want to stick with one time.  I can always adjust to wake up earlier or whatever to the new standard if the light is an issue. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2023, 09:53:54 PM »

I am with ya.  It always feel so strange when we "fall back" in the autumn and it is dark outside already when I am leaving the office at 5 pm.
I'm with both of you.  I'm fine with changing the clocks, but I'd prefer to just keep DST full time. We have it most of the year anyway.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2023, 06:47:49 AM »

Humans, especially American humans, have a fantastic track record of thumbing their nose at the experts.  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2023, 09:10:45 AM »
If we were going to pick one, I would vote for Standard Time.  But the most important thing is to pick ONE and stick with it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2023, 09:43:52 AM »
I think it's kind of established that permanent standard time is the healthiest for us. Partly because the change is what screws most things up, but mostly because it fits with the schedule we've evolved to use. Seeing darkness come down is greatly beneficial to us, particularly because it helps regulate our brain chemistry to facilitate better sleep. However, since when do Americans really, honestly care about better sleep. There's a pill for that. We like to pay lip service to mental health around, particularly when somebody goes off the reservation. Perhaps adopting something akin to a natural, normal lifestyle, that doesn't require a pharmacy to cope might actually help with that.

However, Home Depot needs that extra hour, so none of this really matters.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2023, 12:28:21 PM »
I function better during DST so I would rather go with that. It used to not bother me at all, but in recent years I have found I don't do so well during the Standard time period. Like others, keeping the daylight longer later in the day is a huge plus for me.

The hang-up on approval is people are concerned about kids going to school as I think it would be dark in the winter months as they are headed to the bus stop and whatnot. I kind of get that, but I really do not want Standard year round.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2023, 01:39:38 PM »
I'd much rather keep DST permanent. The extra hour of sunlight in the morning is generally useless as people are sleeping or in school or work. Another hour in the evening is actually something people can take advantage of.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2023, 01:41:18 PM »
I'd much rather keep DST permanent. The extra hour of sunlight in the morning is generally useless as people are sleeping or in school or work. Another hour in the evening is actually something people can take advantage of.

I like 6:03 tee times in the summer though  :coolio   

Golfing on weekends aside, I'd much prefer whatever time gives us the extra light at the end of the day.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2023, 01:46:04 PM »
I'm not arguing with either of you here, but is the "struggle" during standard time a function of the shorter day, not the time frame of the day?  There's a thing called "Seasonal Affective Disorder" that is thought to be a result of shorter days and less sunlight.  Symptoms are increased signs of depression.  Melatonin can cause it too; I know some people take that to help them sleep, but it can have effects.   It's readily treatable through light therapy. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2023, 01:47:41 PM »
If we were going to pick one, I would vote for Standard Time.  But the most important thing is to pick ONE and stick with it.

YES!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2023, 08:44:43 PM »

YES!

I knew there was a reason I liked you both

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2023, 07:18:51 AM »
:djhef:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2023, 01:38:04 PM »
More sun the better IMO! 90 degree evenings here in the summer and sun sets at 8:30!  :metal :metal :metal
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2023, 02:06:49 PM »
More sun the better IMO!

Neither switching the clocks nor daylight savings time create more sun(light).  We're getting about 14 1/2 hours of sunlight in Los Angeles on June 22 no matter what the clock says.

90 degree evenings here in the summer

Fortunately, not too often.   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2023, 02:08:57 PM »
Neither switching the clocks nor daylight savings time create more sun(light).  We're getting about 14 1/2 hours of sunlight in Los Angeles on June 22 no matter what the clock says.

No kidding!

I actually don't care about Daylight Savings.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2023, 03:41:38 PM »
Neither switching the clocks nor daylight savings time create more sun(light).

That's good, because if they did then they'd be breaking some astronomical or metaphysical law or something.  All the stupid jokes and metaphors about cutting off a foot here and sewing it on there and then imaging that the blanket is longer are completely missing the point.

Daylight savings is not about creating more daylight; it's about saving it for later in the day when people are awake.  Simple as that.  Most people would rather have an extra hour of daylight at the end of the day for chilling and whatever.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2023, 03:55:48 PM »
Neither switching the clocks nor daylight savings time create more sun(light).

That's good, because if they did then they'd be breaking some astronomical or metaphysical law or something.  All the stupid jokes and metaphors about cutting off a foot here and sewing it on there and then imaging that the blanket is longer are completely missing the point.

Daylight savings is not about creating more daylight; it's about saving it for later in the day when people are awake.  Simple as that.  Most people would rather have an extra hour of daylight at the end of the day for chilling and whatever.
You live at the Northern edge of the Country. Some of us would rather not have the sun set after 9pm while it's still 98° outside. And that actually costs us money.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2023, 04:50:44 PM »
Yep.  Which is why having a federal law for such a huge country creates problems.  With this much mass, with this many people, it is basically impossible for the same rule to apply and benefit everyone.  So we settle for either the majority, or let states handle it individually (which obviously has the advantage of taking geography into consideration).

I'm fine with it being applied at the state level.  I understand that not everyone everywhere is affected by it the same way, but where I live, the vast majority of people are in favor of it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2023, 05:02:50 PM »
Yep.  Which is why having a federal law for such a huge country creates problems.  With this much mass, with this many people, it is basically impossible for the same rule to apply and benefit everyone.  So we settle for either the majority, or let states handle it individually (which obviously has the advantage of taking geography into consideration).

I'm fine with it being applied at the state level.  I understand that not everyone everywhere is affected by it the same way, but where I live, the vast majority of people are in favor of it.
Where you are, even in July with DST, doesn't the sun set pretty early? Whenever I travel I'm always surprised by how early the sun sets outside of Dallas.

And I kind of agree about letting the states decide, except that what people actually want won't be the criteria by which it's decided. The states will decide based on what's best for business, and that's DST. That's why it bugs me so much. It's actually kind of a scam.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2023, 09:48:36 PM »

Where you are, even in July with DST, doesn't the sun set pretty early? Whenever I travel I'm always surprised by how early the sun sets outside of Dallas.

I'm north of Chicago, and in the summer it's light out until nearly 10:00 PM.  It's hard to get little kids to sleep sometimes, but WTF, it's summer.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2023, 11:40:24 PM »
I have such nostalgia for the late sunsets growing up in the northern Chicago suburbs. Nothing else gives that sort of "school's out" feeling once you get older.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2023, 04:47:26 AM »
The *further* north you go in the summer, the *later* the sun sets.  That's how the tilt of the earth works  ;).  I remember taking a red-eye flight back home from the Calgary stampede, and heading to the airport at about 10:30pm then sun wasn't fully under the horizon yet.  Where I live, in the final week of June, just like Bob said, it doesn't get fully dark until almost 10pm.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2023, 05:27:21 AM »
So when you live in the north, where the sun sets later, do you go shopping more often?  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D