Poll

Are you in favour of annual clock adjustments or should we leave it be?

I am in favour of daylight savings
23 (41.8%)
I am opposed as I prefer to carry out my (mis)deeds in the dark
32 (58.2%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: March 12, 2015, 07:27:07 AM

Author Topic: Daylight Savings - Yay or nay?  (Read 15403 times)

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
Daylight Savings - Yay or nay?
« on: March 10, 2015, 07:27:07 AM »
I am in favour.!

I love standing outside a pub at 9pm in the middle of July and still feeling the warm sun on my face.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Daylight Savings - Yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 07:32:26 AM »
I love standing outside a pub at 9pm in the middle of July and still feeling the warm sun on my face.

Wouldn't this still happen the next year if we didn't change the clocks?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 07:42:23 AM »
I hate Daylight Savings time.  There is no good reason for it.  Just pick time, set it, and forget it.  Changing twice a year sucks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 07:43:22 AM »
The last thing in the world I want to do with daylight is save it. :blob:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Calvin6s

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 07:55:17 AM »
Fall back rocks.
Spring forward blows.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 07:57:49 AM »

Wouldn't this still happen the next year if we didn't change the clocks?

Saturday night at the pub with friends.

No daylight saving means the sun goes down sooner, therefore the temp drops sooner.

Summer here is GMT+1 or BST.

Sp yea you're right - it would happen if we didn't change the clocks back to GMT in October. The only reason you can do that sort of thing so late in the evening in England is due to the switch from GMT to BST in March.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 07:59:52 AM »
I think it's pretty dumb.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 08:30:54 AM »
Even if I didn't share Blob's opinion on the sun I'd still think it was bullshit. It serves no purpose other than to increase shopping revenues and screws with people's normal rhythms. Besides which, who the fuck wants to see a rock show outdoors when the sun is still out at 8:30?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 08:37:58 AM »
Even if I didn't share Blob's opinion on the sun I'd still think it was bullshit. It serves no purpose other than to increase shopping revenues and screws with people's normal rhythms. Besides which, who the fuck wants to see a rock show outdoors when the sun is still out at 8:30?

This! What's especially annoying is when they do "Film on the Rocks" in the summer at Red Rocks, because they can't start the damn movie til like 9PM and it's always on weekdays.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 08:46:47 AM »

Me

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 08:50:05 AM »
our rhythms need to be screwed with from time to time.  Keeps us on our toes.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Calvin6s

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 09:07:37 AM »
Wouldn't school kids be walking to school in the dark if not for fall back (and in colder temperatures than an hour later?)

And with everything autosetting itself, I almost don't even notice the change until I run across an older clock and say "is that the right time?  Oh yeah.  Automated DST."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 09:13:40 AM »
I hate Daylight Savings time.  There is no good reason for it.  Just pick time, set it, and forget it.  Changing twice a year sucks.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 09:19:12 AM »
Love it.  Technically, even if you didn't set the clocks forward, the sun would still set later than in winter.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 09:40:04 AM »
Wouldn't school kids be walking to school in the dark if not for fall back (and in colder temperatures than an hour later?)
Where the hell do kids walk to school?  I live in Mayberry itself, and no kids walk to school here.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 09:45:01 AM »
And it was less annoying when it was half the year. You coordinate it with the equinoxes and it's halfway manageable. Now that it's about maximizing commerce we have to deal with the clocks being wrong 2/3 of the year.

And then there's this bullshit:
Wyoming Senator Michael Enzi and Michigan Representative Fred Upton advocated the extension from October into November especially to allow children to go trick-or-treating in more daylight.
Who the hell wanted to trick or treat during daylight? WTF are these people thinking? That's worse than seeing Roger Water play while the sun's in his eyes and ruining the projections.

Where the hell do kids walk to school?  I live in Mayberry itself, and no kids walk to school here.
Yeah, I reckon letting your kid walk to school is a felony nowadays.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 09:59:36 AM »

I read about a woman the other day who is being investigated for child abuse because her neighbor reported that she let her 6 and 10 year old walk home from a nearby park.

Calvin6s

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 10:06:18 AM »
Is that why they are all little porkers these days?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »

a significant number of kids walk to school where I am.  Elementary schools are pretty much embedded in subdivisions all over our town.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 10:20:45 AM »
I would be scared to death to let my kid walk to school. 

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 10:43:17 AM »
The argument that it screws with your biorhythm may be true, but so does all-night partying and we don't want to stop that, or do we?

I'm for it, though I hate it when the clock is set forward.

In Germany they introduced it some twenty or so years ago because they thought it would save electricity. Turned out that it didn't but the majority of the people loved it, so it stayed.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 10:59:13 AM »
It screws with my rhythm, circadian or otherwise. Fuck that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 11:06:36 AM »
In Germany they introduced it some twenty or so years ago because they thought it would save electricity.
Germany was the first country to implement it, in 1916.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »

Basically this. 

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 02:03:04 PM »
In Germany they introduced it some twenty or so years ago because they thought it would save electricity.
Germany was the first country to implement it, in 1916.

You're right, but it didn't last that long. There also was time during and shortly after WW2. But the thing we have today was established in 1980.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 02:23:09 PM »
What amazes me is not that some people are against it; there will always be people who don't like certain things.  You can't please everybody.  No, what amazes me is that when you try to have an intelligent discussion, and people have already given reasons for liking something, and examples of the benefits, there are still people who say "There is no good reason for it."  Right after people have given reasons.

It's like in the band appreciation threads, you can have 30 people all talking about a certain band, how they love their sound, or their lyrics, or how they were brought back from the brink of suicide by a band, and there will be be people who say "I've never understood why people like them.  I've never heard of anyone who likes them."

Like, what the fuck?  Are these discussion boards, where we discuss things, or are they "post your opinion and ignore what everyone else is saying" boards?  How about actually trying to understand other points of view and respond accordingly?

People have said what they consider to be the benefits.  They've given examples.  Then someone says "There are no benefits".

People have said what they like about some band.  Then someone says "I don't understand what people like about them".

It's like no one here wants to actually discuss anything.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 02:41:02 PM »
Now that it's about maximizing commerce we have to deal with the clocks being wrong 2/3 of the year.

But what makes clocks “right?” Isn’t time essentially arbitrary?

For people opposed to the biannual changes, I can get that, even though I don't understand how it takes people days/weeks to adjust. I don’t feel a difference 24 hours after the fact.

In terms of time-shifting, I am all for it being lighter in the evening than during the day. Why the hell do I need bright sunshine when I get on the bus for work?

Just pick time, set it, and forget it.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 03:17:34 PM »
Now that it's about maximizing commerce we have to deal with the clocks being wrong 2/3 of the year.

But what makes clocks “right?” Isn’t time essentially arbitrary?
Not sure, honestly. I know that noon should be the point where the sun is half way across it's travel across the ecliptic at the equinoxes, at the equator. Whether or not our clocks actually lined up with it before all this DST nonsense I'm not sure, but it stands to reason that they did. This makes sense as the reference point has the daylight and darkness split evenly across AM and PM. Just seems natural. Noon should be precisely midday at that reference point with midnight being, well, midnight. While it would constantly be moving one way or the other between the solstices, it would still begin and end at a common point.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 07:21:11 PM »
Well midnight would technically have to be what exactly?  Halfway between sunset and sunrise I am guessing.  So 12:00 probably isn't always technically midnight.  I'm just throwing a bone out there for discussion. 

Whoever said time is arbitrary is right.  Time is abstract and we just use it as a form of measurement along with inches, meters, and joules.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 07:31:41 PM »
Well midnight would technically have to be what exactly?  Halfway between sunset and sunrise I am guessing.  So 12:00 probably isn't always technically midnight.  I'm just throwing a bone out there for discussion. 

Whoever said time is arbitrary is right.  Time is abstract and we just use it as a form of measurement along with inches, meters, and joules.
It'd be the middle of the night. And you're correct, twelve wouldn't always be midnight or noon, but it'd be a valid reference point as it is twice a year at the equinoxes.

And I suppose it's somewhat arbitrary, but also well defined. The rotation of the Earth does happen consistently, so there will always be X number of divisions in a solar day. I suppose choosing seconds, minutes and hours as those divisions was arbitrary but they're still based on something concrete.

And where the hell are DTF's scientists to handle these things???
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 07:38:02 PM »

It'd be the middle of the night. And you're correct, twelve wouldn't always be midnight or noon, but it'd be a valid reference point as it is twice a year at the equinoxes.

And I suppose it's somewhat arbitrary, but also well defined. The rotation of the Earth does happen consistently, so there will always be X number of divisions in a solar day. I suppose choosing seconds, minutes and hours as those divisions was arbitrary but they're still based on something concrete.

And where the hell are DTF's scientists to handle these things???

:lol

True, they are based on something concrete however it's not perfect.  Didn't we have to add seconds on to the end of the year or something to that effect recently just to catch up?  I forget the whole story. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »

Time has some form though or it wouldn't bend under intense gravity and lead to relativity.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 07:40:13 PM »
What amazes me is not that some people are against it; there will always be people who don't like certain things.  You can't please everybody.  No, what amazes me is that when you try to have an intelligent discussion, and people have already given reasons for liking something, and examples of the benefits, there are still people who say "There is no good reason for it."  Right after people have given reasons.

It's like in the band appreciation threads, you can have 30 people all talking about a certain band, how they love their sound, or their lyrics, or how they were brought back from the brink of suicide by a band, and there will be be people who say "I've never understood why people like them.  I've never heard of anyone who likes them."

Like, what the fuck?  Are these discussion boards, where we discuss things, or are they "post your opinion and ignore what everyone else is saying" boards?  How about actually trying to understand other points of view and respond accordingly?

People have said what they consider to be the benefits.  They've given examples.  Then someone says "There are no benefits".

People have said what they like about some band.  Then someone says "I don't understand what people like about them".

:tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 07:49:31 PM »

I see where you are coming from and I raise you this.  Sure, some people might pose some possible benefits of the usage of DST, however someone who disagrees and doesn't see them as benefits wouldn't necessarily have to agree that they are indeed benefits.

It benefits me to pee standing up.  Would it benefit a woman the same way?  It's still a benefit for one person while a sloppy mess for another. 

You might have read there are good reasons for DST but someone else might not agree that they are indeed good reasons. So it's not that people are ignoring the "good reasons"  and/or "benefits".  It's that people just might disagree with labeling them as such.