Author Topic: The Great Dress Debate  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Great Dress Debate
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 11:22:49 AM »
Wouldn't be surprised if somebody replaced the jpg it actually points to on a regular basis.

That was my first thought as well.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2015, 11:34:22 AM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2015, 01:52:23 PM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »
It's really tiredsome how quickly internet jokes blow up now. First with left shark and now with this, by the time the next morning rolls around, I'm stick of seeing posts about it, but it's everywhere. Every teacher is showing their class, every news station has a bit on it. It's on every website. Crazy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2015, 02:10:57 PM »
Behold the power of the Internet and dummies!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »
https://xkcd.com/1492/
Brilliant  :tup
(Image for those who don't click the link).

And yeah, I saw a post about this in the morning today (in the UK), and when I searched for it and found a ton of articles about it they were all acting as though this was some news story everyone's been hearing about for the past couple of months, rather than something that had came up, literally, overnight. I guess I understand how it happens, since it's basically the equivalent of an in-joke that everyone can share, and you do see some funny material from it, but the overexposure (if you spend a lot of time browsing the internet) makes things get old fast.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2015, 03:12:38 PM »
At first, I thought this was complete idiocy run amok and I was all like..  :facepalm:   But then I got to thinking that this is kindof a science-y thing and then I was like..  :hat   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2015, 03:38:21 PM »
No matter what I do, screen brightness, angle, focus, I always see white and gold.  The white can almost look blueish but I would never say its blue and I never see black.  Oh well.  We can just burn the dress and all agree that the ashes would be black.  :biggrin:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 04:19:12 PM »
Whichever way I look at it, I only see Gold and White.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 04:20:27 PM »
I have no idea what this is about. I just saw a lot of people complaining about a dress, even men are arguing over it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 04:52:02 PM »
Someone just posted a shitty picture of a dress on Tumblr. Because of the terrible white balance of the photo, about half of people see it as white/gold, while the other half sees the actual colors of the dress, blue and black. Consequently, people lost their minds and it spread through twitter and then the internet through clickbait websites, finally reaching even news stations and random other places across the world.

People are fucking weird.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 05:00:57 PM »
Anyone who sees blue and black needs to get their eyes checked.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 05:03:42 PM »
Actually, it's the opposite. If you see blue and black, it means that your eyes are better at correcting the white balance from different light amounts and temperatures. If you see white and gold, it doesn't mean you need your eyes checked, but it means they are more susceptible to this optical illusion.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »
It's not an illusion.  There is no blue or black anywhere on that dress.   :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 05:11:16 PM »
:not sure if serious:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 06:21:20 PM »
I've seen it as both. I feel like I'm in a special club.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2015, 07:52:51 AM »
The actual, real life dress is blue and black.

And just coincidentally (or not), it was posted by a girl who is a musician, but it went "viral" after it was uploaded to a fan page dedicated to a music talent promoter, who was coincidentally (or not) announcing the signing of one of her talents to a new show that same day.

https://www.businessinsider.com/origin-of-white-gold-or-black-blue-dress-2015-2

Totally over this.  Couldn't care less what color that dress is.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2015, 07:57:34 AM »
The fact this is even a thing is why we can't have nice things. It's a bad photo of a dress.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2015, 08:22:02 AM »

Same here. Depending on which site I view the pic on its either one or the other for me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2015, 11:54:47 AM »
Actually, it's the opposite. If you see blue and black, it means that your eyes are better at correcting the white balance from different light amounts and temperatures. If you see white and gold, it doesn't mean you need your eyes checked, but it means they are more susceptible to this optical illusion.

Thanks for the explanation as I figured it had something to do with that. The photo is so shitty that it either must've accidently hit some sweet spot between blue light sensitive eyes or someone just messed with filters until they got that result. Obviously if a group of people were standing in front of the actual dress you'd get the same colors from everyone with maybe a few differences in hues.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2015, 12:53:25 PM »
I've only been able to see this dress as black and blue.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2015, 12:56:32 PM »
Nah that's quite normal, as far as I understand it.

With very sensitive cones in your eyes, you can always make out the actual blue (and therefore black).

With pretty un-sensitive cones, you'll basically never be able to see the blue because of the contrast/brightness levels of the photo, so it'll always come out white (and therefore the black looks gold).

But if you're in between, then it'll depend on the brightness/contrast of the screen, the brightness of the rest of the screen around the photo, etc. So if you're seeing it both at different times then you're somewhere in the middle in terms of having sensitive cones.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2015, 10:56:28 PM »
50 shades of grey. :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2015, 04:30:46 AM »
I've messed with the colors in photoshop, and could never get blue and black. Even darkening the image gets the gold to a darker gold. That was a couple days ago and the last time I cared.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2015, 04:59:40 AM »

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »
The fact this is even a thing is why we can't have nice things. It's a bad photo of a dress.
I see it as an interesting example of how color perception works (or, sometimes, doesn't work).  I don't really get all the negativity around this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2015, 11:19:04 AM »
I see it as an interesting example of how color perception works (or, sometimes, doesn't work).  I don't really get all the negativity around this.

I think the negativity is how something so menial blew up the internet.  Which in itself is kind of ridiculous, but I don't think the actual picture and the debate are ridiculous at all, kind of interesting actually.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2015, 12:14:36 PM »

I think the negativity is how something so menial blew up the internet.  Which in itself is kind of ridiculous, but I don't think the actual picture and the debate are ridiculous at all, kind of interesting actually.

I think people are getting tired of the fact that this is the type of thing that grabs the attention of the world. People do nothing but bitch about the state of America (the economy, the unemployment rate, the amount of money spent on the military, the education system that's 50 years behind the times, children that suck at everything that doesn't require a screen, etc..), yet this is the topic that gets everyone's attention. It's a fucking dress. An ugly, probably overpriced, piece of shitty fabric. Share, discuss, and get excited something that actually matters.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2015, 12:19:25 PM »

I think people are getting tired of the fact that this is the type of thing that grabs the attention of the world. People do nothing but bitch about the state of America (the economy, the unemployment rate, the amount of money spent on the military, the education system that's 50 years behind the times, children that suck at everything that doesn't require a screen, etc..), yet this is the topic that gets everyone's attention. It's a fucking dress. An ugly, probably overpriced, piece of shitty fabric. Share, discuss, and get excited something that actually matters.

Yes that probably plays a part of it too, but its much easier to form an opinion on what you physically see that everyone can relate to vs. having a political opinion that requires some sort of knowledge and thought.  This dress dilemma appeals to every single person who can see so that's why it is so easily blown up. 

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »
the only colors I see are black and yellow
black and yellow
black and yellow
black and yellow

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2015, 01:11:31 PM »
Where have you been?!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2015, 01:25:14 PM »
Pretty sure this is the only place on the entire internet still talking about the dress.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »
We're prog fans. We like when things go on longer than is strictly necessary. :zydar:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2015, 03:04:29 PM »
We're prog fans. We like when things go on longer than is strictly necessary. :zydar:

And complicated