Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572951 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #10220 on: March 01, 2024, 02:26:57 PM »

- Mistress of Mercy tries a bit to be a re-write of some of the Accident material

Thinking Skunkworks on this one, actually.

Yeah, that guitar riff is total skunkworks to my ears.

The opening riff is almost the same as Freak, though!

Yeah, but Freak sounds like a Skunkworks leftover anyway. :P

Oddly, I always skip Freak for some reason. It just feels detached from the rest of the album, honestly.  I always start at Starchildren.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #10221 on: March 01, 2024, 02:40:20 PM »

Oddly, I always skip Freak for some reason. It just feels detached from the rest of the album, honestly.  I always start at Starchildren.

Gotcha. I always liked Freak. It's such an energetic start to the album. Yes, in part it almost feels like it has to shake the cobwebs off Bruce's more "alternative" phase (I love Skunkworks, by the way), but then you hear that lick just before the second chorus and you think - ah!, he's back  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10222 on: March 01, 2024, 02:51:16 PM »
Ok...just finished my first listen. I didn't make notes as I went as I just wanted to listen without pausing between songs.

The first half is pretty straightforward. I liked both of the advance tracks.

I thought Fingers In The Wounds was really good, but I felt like the keyboard solo was a bit jarring and out of place.

It took me a long time to appreciate If Eternity Had Should Fail. This version doesn't quite have the jump that the Maiden version has, but there's a certain drive in this, especially after the initial verses, which feels a bit slow.

Shadow Of The Gods feels like it's the best track here and hopefully Sonata grows on me. I mean, I like it, but it doesn't seem to have that Tears Of The Dragon hook it needs. I mean, that might be a bit unfair as I'm sure I'll like it more after just one listen.

A couple of other observations... I felt half way through that my ears were getting tired, in that Bruce seems to be oversinging and he just sounded loud and strained. The 2nd half has a lot more vocal dynamics so the feeling did subside.
I also appreciate the use of keyboards on this album. They really stand out. A lot of the album reminds me of Deep Purple and Rainbow, particularly some of the JLT Era.

I like the fact that this album is not as heavy or heavier than Accident Of Birth. Kind of sits between that and Skunkworks to me.

Not sure if ultimately this was worth the wait, but I'm happy to have this album. Really enjoyed my first listen and in fact, I don't have much to bitch about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #10223 on: March 01, 2024, 04:12:04 PM »
Wow, they make you work for it to try and listen to the Deluxe version. The CD was in the book in a sleeve so tight I could not get it out. I ended up having to wedge a finger under the disc to lift it and then use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the disc out. Needless to say, it's never going back into that sleeve.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10224 on: March 01, 2024, 04:35:05 PM »

- Mistress of Mercy tries a bit to be a re-write of some of the Accident material

lol wut?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10225 on: March 01, 2024, 04:37:49 PM »

Gotcha. I always liked Freak. It's such an energetic start to the album. Yes, in part it almost feels like it has to shake the cobwebs off Bruce's more "alternative" phase (I love Skunkworks, by the way), but then you hear that lick just before the second chorus and you think - ah!, he's back  :)

Ripping song IMO.  Tuned nice and heavy to C and that 'somersault into the flood' section is awesome.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #10226 on: March 01, 2024, 05:30:10 PM »
Freak is awesome! I like a lot most of Skunkworks, but I also don't hear anything on Freak that reminds me that album. It's really metal to the bone! :metal :metal
My only real relative complaints about the new album are that it could have some faster songs and I also think that it would benefit on having a proper bassist and a more organic drum sound, with a bit more of groove in the performance. They were the extra sauce on Accident and Chemical. But, anyway, it will be a top 12 album this year for me, I'm sure.
Another thing, I think Sonata is a very different animal than Tears of the Dragon or Omega, totally different type of song IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10227 on: March 01, 2024, 05:41:52 PM »
Wow, just opened this up and for $35 bucks, what a steal IMO (and I don't even have a record player), Ministro who shared the link for walmart for this thank you!  :metal :metal

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #10228 on: March 01, 2024, 05:58:01 PM »

That was my first thought when I heard the song.  Freak is the shit.   :metal

Offline WardySI

« Reply #10229 on: March 01, 2024, 06:37:39 PM »
...  The middle section is just some uneccessary long shredding from Gus G over the top of similar melodies too.  Doesn't seem to fit.  Not sure why Gus is on here.  Dunno, again just different and not used to it.

Gus G? Did I miss something or or do you mean Roy Z?  Roy Z has been playing with Bruce forever which is why he's on this original version of Eternity if you mean Roy  ;)

And that said I agree.  Interesting as it is personally would've left this as a bonus track or as the B-side to Ragnarok 7".

Gus G provides the solo to this track.

Did NOT know that mate thanks!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10230 on: March 01, 2024, 06:58:17 PM »

Is that a legit hand signed signature? Bruce personally signed records that would be sold for just $35 at Wal Mart??

Offline WardySI

« Reply #10231 on: March 01, 2024, 07:08:34 PM »
Typically usual record outlets here Down Under having trouble getting anything in both CD and LP delayed for foreseeable future ugh >:(

Anyway constantly streaming and enjoying the discussion here and a few things have come to mind...

- Maintain his original version of If Eternity should've remained a 7" B-side, bonus kinda collectors thing (and again did not know Gus G provides the solo thanks for that bit of info Wolfking!)
- Definitely hear some those Skunkworks references but fer my ears most comparisons are blatantly Accident and Chemical.
- Face In The Mirror is a skip for me, WAY too borrowed from his previous work.
- Regardless any similarities highlights are Mistress Of Mercy, exactly what I had hoped for with this release, Many Doors To Hell likewise brilliant sounds like a heavier Devil On A Hog, Fingers In The Wound, and while the intro worried me agree Resurrection Men, and Shadow Of The Gods which certainly makes you wonder what may have been of the Tremors right!?
- Still not digging the spoken word verses of Rain On The Graves and that's coming from a big fan of all the Bruce records, including Balls To Picasso where be was dabbling in all sorts this kinda stuff and need more time with the closing track.
- Agree the production is a little washy and lacking the punch these songs deserved.
- Bruce sounds fantastic regardless the washy sound and personally not finding anything oversung here.  I'd say about on par with the recent Maiden releases!?
- The packaging looks tremendous \m/

Overall not quite the album I had hoped for but tbf big shoes of his own to fill, and for a record that had been gestating for some 15 years on and off the ebb and flow isn't too bad.  But digging lots of it, will make a solid addition to the Dickinson solo collection glad we finally have it after all these years!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10232 on: March 01, 2024, 07:15:36 PM »

Is that a legit hand signed signature? Bruce personally signed records that would be sold for just $35 at Wal Mart??

Yeah, really looks like it. You can see the ink smudges in the picture. I was honestly unsure when ordering it thinking the same thing but it did say explicitly "autograph" in the description.

The signature kind of looks odd though.  It reminds me of that scene in Flight 666 where Bruce is signing something (posters maybe?) and he's just signing them quickly and flicking them with his wrist into a pile on the floor of the plane  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10233 on: March 01, 2024, 07:17:30 PM »
Good call.   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10234 on: March 01, 2024, 07:22:50 PM »
I must say...I NEVER listen to Tyranny Of Souls.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #10235 on: March 01, 2024, 07:36:44 PM »

It's no Accident or Chemical, but I always found it a pretty good album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10236 on: March 01, 2024, 07:38:25 PM »

It's no Accident or Chemical, but I always found it a pretty good album.

Yeah, I don't not like it, but I suffer from extreme indifference towards it. I just never choose it.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #10237 on: March 01, 2024, 07:42:02 PM »

Don't disagree, although it's a nice song. I will say it again, though - isn't the volume of the woah woahs starting around 3:00 oddly high??

Offline WardySI

« Reply #10238 on: March 01, 2024, 08:17:49 PM »
They do now you mention it  :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #10239 on: March 01, 2024, 08:38:44 PM »
Typically usual record outlets here Down Under having trouble getting anything in both CD and LP delayed for foreseeable future ugh >:(

Anyway constantly streaming and enjoying the discussion here and a few things have come to mind...

- Maintain his original version of If Eternity should've remained a 7" B-side, bonus kinda collectors thing (and again did not know Gus G provides the solo thanks for that bit of info Wolfking!)
- Definitely hear some those Skunkworks references but fer my ears most comparisons are blatantly Accident and Chemical.
- Regardless any similarities highlights are Mistress Of Mercy, exactly what I had hoped for with this release, Many Doors To Hell likewise brilliant sounds like a heavier Devil On A Hog, Fingers In The Wound, and while the intro worried me agree Resurrection Men, and Shadow Of The Gods which certainly makes you wonder what may have been of the Tremors right!?
- Still not digging the spoken word verses of Rain On The Graves and that's coming from a big fan of all the Bruce records, including Balls To Picasso where be was dabbling in all sorts this kinda stuff and need more time with the closing track.
- Agree the production is a little washy and lacking the punch these songs deserved.
- Bruce sounds fantastic regardless the washy sound and personally not finding anything oversung here.  I'd say about on par with the recent Maiden releases!?
- The packaging looks tremendous \m/

Overall not quite the album I had hoped for but tbf big shoes of his own to fill, and for a record that had been gestating for some 15 years on and off the ebb and flow isn't too bad.  But digging lots of it, will make a solid addition to the Dickinson solo collection glad we finally have it after all these years!

Utopia has all three formats currently in stock and JB has vinyl in stock  :metal

Offline WardySI

« Reply #10240 on: March 01, 2024, 08:45:28 PM »
I called JB yesterday told none of their stores had CD or vinyl that they couldn't sort their pre-orders yet :huh:

Yes I was going to check with Utopia so thanks will do.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10241 on: March 01, 2024, 09:04:30 PM »
I think JB are really trying hard to fully phase CDs out.  The shelves get smaller and smaller each time I go there.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #10242 on: March 01, 2024, 09:05:50 PM »
Yep all being replaced with whitegoods.

Sucks

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10243 on: March 01, 2024, 09:17:27 PM »
Pfft, whitegoods.  I can get them anywhere.

Probably won't get around to this album til next week now.  In no rush either reading all your thoughts.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #10244 on: March 01, 2024, 10:55:20 PM »
Almost done with my first listen. This is way better than most of you have been saying, at least to me. Way better than Tyranny, that's for sure. Looking forward to repeated listens to this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline WardySI

« Reply #10245 on: March 01, 2024, 11:07:13 PM »
If my analysis came accross like I wasn't fond of the album then it wasn't meant to.  Sure a couple its songs I didn't like but as I said, a solid album with a few essential highlights.

It's just given the time we've been waiting and when compared to Accident and Chemical, two of the finest albums released in the 90's, it's a hard comparison by anyone's standards.  But I definitely recommend Mandrake.

Oh and I loved Tyranny. Nothing much wrong with that album whatsoever \m/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 11:12:27 PM by WardySI »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #10246 on: March 01, 2024, 11:15:00 PM »
Just finished and the only song that didn't grab me the first time around was Face In The Mirror. I saw a lot of press about Sonata and frankly, I don't get it. I loved the song. On first blush, this is a fantastic album to me. Bruce sounds so good on this. I'm impressed at how good his voice is at his age.

I came in with somewhat low expectations and am pretty much blown away by the effort. I loved it. I skipped all the singles so tonight was a blind listen to all of the material.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #10247 on: March 02, 2024, 12:42:31 AM »
I never listen to Tyranny either. Except for Kill Devil Hill which I absolutely adore.

Anyone else think that Bruce is setting himself up for a spot on the pro wrestling circuit with this album's photoshoot? Or a part in the next Expendables movie?  :huh:  ;)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #10248 on: March 02, 2024, 04:33:08 AM »
I saw a lot of press about Sonata and frankly, I don't get it. I loved the song.

I definitely don't think it's as bad as a lot of people thought it might be. Great chorus. The only thing, and it's not a huge problem, but it really stands out to me that one of the main vocal lines is practically identical to one of the melodies he sings in Cyclops, and its just blatant enough that it takes me out of the song. Totally a 'me' problem though. Also, probably wouldn't have hurt to have made the song a minute shorter or so, but otherwise its a great closer!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10249 on: March 02, 2024, 04:34:15 AM »
While not on the level of AOB or CW, Tyranny is a fantastic record IMO.  Believal should have been replaced with Eternal but on a whole its great.  The title track is a top 5 Bruce song for me.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #10250 on: March 02, 2024, 04:53:18 AM »
I know folks complain about these threads turning into Blaze talk but I gotta say, while early days and it may well change...

But as it stands atm, I'm leaning towards Circle Of Stone over The Mandrake Project.

Just sayin' ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10251 on: March 02, 2024, 04:56:32 AM »
I've spent an entire week with Circle of stone and I've only listened to Mandrake once. As much as I enjoyed Circle of stone, there is no way I'll end up liking Mandrake less. On the first listen, there were so many good bits, some of the tracks already stood out. This will be fun week.  :metal

Offline WardySI

« Reply #10252 on: March 02, 2024, 05:13:01 AM »
Will indeed be an interesting week and am keen to see where they're at down the track once they've both settled in.

Either way expect they'll be neck and neck but then of course Priest next week may well upset them both :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10253 on: March 02, 2024, 05:26:06 AM »
Circle of Stone is a great hit out from Blaze. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10254 on: March 02, 2024, 05:37:41 AM »
You guys are missing out, Tyranny of Souls is fantastic. The first half is kickass: Abduction > Soul Intruders > Kill > Navigate is an awesome four punch. The rest of the album is acceptable anyway and of course the title track is massive. It's not Chemical Wedding or Accident but what it is? In a different reality where Bruce tours for this record and plays most of it, I wouldn't miss it for the world.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!