Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573535 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #10185 on: February 28, 2024, 08:32:52 PM »
I'll echo about the production on DOD.  It took me a long time to look past, it's horrible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #10186 on: February 28, 2024, 10:55:09 PM »
I have a feeling that Bruce is also trying to prove the point that he can still perform the songs in the original key fairly well. He might also honestly think that the songs wouldn't sound as good if they dropped the tuning by a half step.

The only exception I can think of is "Lord of The Flies" from Death On The Road being a full step down... probably so he can do his Bruce thing and sing the ending an octave higher more comfortably. 😝
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10187 on: February 29, 2024, 12:39:09 AM »
Oh good point, I completely forgot about that.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #10188 on: February 29, 2024, 12:46:05 AM »
S Tier:
Dance of Death
Senjustsu
A Matter of Life and Death

A Tier:
Brave New World
Final Frontier
Book of Souls

DoD is my favorite across eras (not thinking about production quality) and while Senjustsu is somewhat self-derivative it’s got the better versions.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10189 on: February 29, 2024, 03:17:51 AM »
Something else that got lost in Dance of Death was a few harmonized guitar parts in Montségur -- I had to explore the multitrack surround version and do a personal mixdown to figure those parts out (would love to share them if anyone's interested, in fact, and if that isn't against forum rules).

Oooh, good shout on the 5.1 version of Dance of Death. I'm sure I have that somewhere.

Where is that?  I didn't know any of the Maiden made it to 5.1.

Here you go, fellow: https://www.discogs.com/release/2014910-Iron-Maiden-Dance-Of-Death
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10190 on: February 29, 2024, 03:29:01 AM »
I have a feeling that Bruce is also trying to prove the point that he can still perform the songs in the original key fairly well. He might also honestly think that the songs wouldn't sound as good if they dropped the tuning by a half step.

The only exception I can think of is "Lord of The Flies" from Death On The Road being a full step down... probably so he can do his Bruce thing and sing the ending an octave higher more comfortably. 😝

I keep forgetting about this one.  I think that's the only time ever they have played a song in a different key.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10191 on: February 29, 2024, 06:37:36 AM »
Something else that got lost in Dance of Death was a few harmonized guitar parts in Montségur -- I had to explore the multitrack surround version and do a personal mixdown to figure those parts out (would love to share them if anyone's interested, in fact, and if that isn't against forum rules).

Oooh, good shout on the 5.1 version of Dance of Death. I'm sure I have that somewhere.

Here you go, fellow: https://www.discogs.com/release/2014910-Iron-Maiden-Dance-Of-Death

I need to see if I have this one in storage. Just set up an Atmos/Surround system in my home office and some of the little details that get buried in a regular stereo/compressed mix sound amazing in a 5.1 setting. I know I have Balls to Picasso by Bruce but haven't dug up all the boxes from the last move. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10192 on: February 29, 2024, 08:42:39 AM »

Thank you!!!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #10193 on: February 29, 2024, 09:49:38 AM »
My two favorites from the reunion era are still very clear to me:

Brave New World
A Matter of Life And Death

>>>Those records, to me, are ones I can put in and just play, and really feel a good ebb and flow with. Everything else from the reunion era...I like them. But I tend to cherry pick a bit.

But BNW and AMOLAD just have this...spark to them, this engagement, that I haven't found as complete works with the other reunion era albums.

As for the classic era, my favorite Maiden record is Piece of Mind. Then probably Seventh Son, The Number of The Beast, Somewhere in Time, and Powerslave. The others...again, I like them, but I tend to cherry pick more on them.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10194 on: February 29, 2024, 11:17:55 AM »
Walmart exclusive
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bruce-Dickinson-The-Mandrake-Project-Limited-Edition-Walmart-Exclusive-Autographed-Print-and-Stencil-Heavy-Metal-2-LP/5195359990?from=/search

I actually bought this  :lol I don't even collect Vinyl, but seemed cool.  I'll buy the digital download of the album on release and hold onto this.

Forgot I ordered this, should arrive tomorrow.  Curious about the autographed print.  I might want to get a nice frame and hang it.  I don't even have a record player to listen to it  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10195 on: March 01, 2024, 04:36:15 AM »
Shit, I didn't realise this was out today.  Well, tomorrow for most of you lot.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10196 on: March 01, 2024, 04:46:38 AM »
I'll listen to the full thing over the weekend but was interested in Eternity Has Failed.  Probably used to the Maiden version but this version is a lot slower and seems to lack the energy of Maidens.  The middle section is just some uneccessary long shredding from Gus G over the top of similar melodies too.  Doesn't seem to fit.  Not sure why Gus is on here.  Dunno, again just different and not used to it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10197 on: March 01, 2024, 05:18:38 AM »
Heard it once, the first impression is that Shadow of the Gods is the highlight!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #10198 on: March 01, 2024, 05:21:30 AM »
...  The middle section is just some uneccessary long shredding from Gus G over the top of similar melodies too.  Doesn't seem to fit.  Not sure why Gus is on here.  Dunno, again just different and not used to it.

Gus G? Did I miss something or or do you mean Roy Z?  Roy Z has been playing with Bruce forever which is why he's on this original version of Eternity if you mean Roy  ;)

And that said I agree.  Interesting as it is personally would've left this as a bonus track or as the B-side to Ragnarok 7".

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10199 on: March 01, 2024, 05:34:51 AM »
I think it should have remained a solo track only. We'd have been saying what a good track it is. Other than the difference in speed, and the addition of a bit of a frippery, both versions are remarkably similar.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 06:45:14 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #10200 on: March 01, 2024, 05:52:33 AM »
I think it's a really cool record, once I get past the fact that it's not going to be Chemical Wedding Pt. 2

I like his version of Eternity - it's slower, with a heavier riff and a little doomier.  It's neat to see how Maiden changed the song.  Shadow of the Gods is cool and I love that Priest riff 2/3 of the way through, where Halford would have sung (for the Three Tremors project). 

There are a few other songs that I really like too.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #10201 on: March 01, 2024, 06:20:38 AM »
Listened a few times already and I can tell it's a great album, one of this years best, no doubt! Something a little below of Accident and Chemical, as expected, but also with a bit more variety which is really nice.
About Eternity, I really dug to have a proper guitar solo in the middle section, although I prefer the faster paced Maiden's interpretation. It kind reminded me of Flight of Icarus, in a sense that Bruce prefered it slower and Harris, faster. As a result, we have the PoM version and LAD version, but, in this case, the PoM version was better. But all four versions of these songs are really good!
Sonata is really excellent (but I'm not implying it will the most beautiful song you'll hear this year! :D) and I thought the commentaries about it being so unexpected a bit exaggerating . It isn't so far from Bruce's style, just throwing a bit of Pink Floyd on it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #10202 on: March 01, 2024, 09:12:44 AM »
Shit, I didn't realise this was out today.  Well, tomorrow for most of you lot.

Bollocks! Me too.  :lol

(Runs to the Spotify...)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #10203 on: March 01, 2024, 11:02:44 AM »
Got my deluxe edition today. It's much bigger than I expected. I would say it's about the size of something that would hold a 45rpm single record. Very well done.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10204 on: March 01, 2024, 11:10:16 AM »
Gave a listen this morning on youtube and thought it was a good listen, but also felt like the production was poor and that it may be a bit too mid paced for my tastes, but it was still good.  I'll hold back on any "album of the year" thoughts because right now, it's not that.  Looking forward to more listens and having the album grow on me

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #10205 on: March 01, 2024, 11:14:48 AM »
First listen. Not TCW or AOB but absolutely solid. I also would have tweaked the mix a bit had it been me. Bruce is a little too loud and there could be more low end beef but these are quibbles. Looking forward to seeing him live in a couple of months!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #10206 on: March 01, 2024, 11:40:03 AM »
I'll echo about the production on DOD.  It took me a long time to look past, it's horrible.

I must say that Dance of Death's 2015 remaster brought the album from worst sounding album on the reunion era to the two of the best sounding albums, along with AMOLAD. Maybe my favorite, because of the volume of the guitars, closer to the classic era.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online nick_z

« Reply #10207 on: March 01, 2024, 12:34:42 PM »
One listen in...eh...first impression is not super-positive for me. Love Bruce's solo stuff, so I was looking forward to this. The two pre-release tracks didn't blow me away and, while there's some good variety throughout the whole record, the overall impression is, again, "not blown away".

Don't particularly love the way it all sounds, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of "drive" in the performances. Some random thoughts:

- Resurrection Men is kinda cool with the western-sounding mood. Some things work, some not as much, but this is one I enjoyed more than others
- Agree with Kade's comments on Eternity Has Failed. Might be a matter of familiarity, but I miss the gallop of the Maiden version. When the band comes in, on TBOS, it's a truly fantastic moment. Here, it's more subdued. Cutting some of the stuff at the end was a good idea, though
- Mistress of Mercy tries a bit to be a re-write of some of the Accident material
- Who thought it was a good idea to have Bruce quite literally scream WHOA WHOA in your ears on the final choruses of Face in the Mirror??  :biggrin: That was quite jarring, to say the least
- Also agree on Shadow of the Gods being a highlight
- Sonata is, indeed, a bit weird. Not bad, but it kinda meanders towards the end

I will revisit, of course, but I can't deny I'm a little disappointed for now.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #10208 on: March 01, 2024, 12:46:37 PM »
One listen in...eh...first impression is not super-positive for me. Love Bruce's solo stuff, so I was looking forward to this. The two pre-release tracks didn't blow me away and, while there's some good variety throughout the whole record, the overall impression is, again, "not blown away".

Don't particularly love the way it all sounds, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of "drive" in the performances. Some random thoughts:

- Resurrection Men is kinda cool with the western-sounding mood. Some things work, some not as much, but this is one I enjoyed more than others
- Agree with Kade's comments on Eternity Has Failed. Might be a matter of familiarity, but I miss the gallop of the Maiden version. When the band comes in, on TBOS, it's a truly fantastic moment. Here, it's more subdued. Cutting some of the stuff at the end was a good idea, though
- Mistress of Mercy tries a bit to be a re-write of some of the Accident material
- Who thought it was a good idea to have Bruce quite literally scream WHOA WHOA in your ears on the final choruses of Face in the Mirror??  :biggrin: That was quite jarring, to say the least
- Sonata is, indeed, a bit weird. Not bad, but it kinda meanders towards the end

My actual score for the album was 7.6, but the editor "conveniently" rounded it up to 8, which in my opinion paints a whole different picture. I think 7.6 matches your overall perception of the album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10209 on: March 01, 2024, 12:49:37 PM »
...  The middle section is just some uneccessary long shredding from Gus G over the top of similar melodies too.  Doesn't seem to fit.  Not sure why Gus is on here.  Dunno, again just different and not used to it.

Gus G? Did I miss something or or do you mean Roy Z?  Roy Z has been playing with Bruce forever which is why he's on this original version of Eternity if you mean Roy  ;)

And that said I agree.  Interesting as it is personally would've left this as a bonus track or as the B-side to Ragnarok 7".

Gus G provides the solo to this track.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #10210 on: March 01, 2024, 12:54:48 PM »
Really enjoying The Mandrake Project.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10211 on: March 01, 2024, 01:13:10 PM »

My actual score for the album was 7.6, but the editor "conveniently" rounded it up to 8, which in my opinion paints a whole different picture. I think 7.6 matches your overall perception of the album.

On my first listen I was thinking like a 7 might be fair.  But of course, I need more listens.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #10212 on: March 01, 2024, 01:25:31 PM »
checking this out now
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10213 on: March 01, 2024, 01:27:41 PM »
I've just started my first listen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10214 on: March 01, 2024, 01:30:44 PM »
It's weird that he'd cover Rock You Like A Hurricane two songs in. I wasn't expecting that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #10215 on: March 01, 2024, 01:58:27 PM »
solid album. really enjoyed it
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10216 on: March 01, 2024, 01:58:44 PM »

Thinking Skunkworks on this one, actually.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10217 on: March 01, 2024, 02:00:34 PM »

Yeah, that guitar riff is total skunkworks to my ears.

Online nick_z

« Reply #10218 on: March 01, 2024, 02:21:41 PM »

The opening riff is almost the same as Freak, though!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10219 on: March 01, 2024, 02:24:50 PM »

The opening riff is almost the same as Freak, though!

Ha, I hear that now that you mention it, but immediately was thinking skunkworks my first two listens.