Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573259 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #10115 on: February 15, 2024, 02:33:05 PM »
Glowing reviews like that kinda bother me. I'll try to write a more balanced one.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #10116 on: February 15, 2024, 04:01:34 PM »
I can see why people have a problem with the last track. With this being a concept album, one would expect a bombastic track, to end things in dramatic fashion. That’s not what this last song brings. But it’s not bad. Overall, it’s amazing to see Bruce taking stylistic risks on this album. It’s like he’s Jim Gaffigan in Maiden, and Dave Chapelle in his solo career.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10117 on: February 16, 2024, 06:15:35 AM »
Glowing reviews like that kinda bother me. I'll try to write a more balanced one.

I don't know who wrote that, so if it's a friend, or if it originated in a different language, I apologize, but in that incarnation, in that translation, that's a horrible review. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #10120 on: February 16, 2024, 11:05:15 AM »

I don't know who wrote that, so if it's a friend, or if it originated in a different language, I apologize, but in that incarnation, in that translation, that's a horrible review.

Yes. And the album version of "Eternity Has Failed " is not "just a demo version of If Eternity Should Fail". Not at all.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #10121 on: February 20, 2024, 08:20:23 AM »
Interview I did with Blaze Bayley about his new album, which is even better than the previous one: https://youtu.be/NwhFfGvQNxI?si=RHacm5-eo43AAPB6

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10122 on: February 20, 2024, 08:41:29 AM »
Man, that guy never gets exhausted, doesn't he?  ;D

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #10123 on: February 20, 2024, 09:45:46 AM »
Man, that guy never gets exhausted, doesn't he?  ;D

I interviewed him twice...usually I need about 20 questions for anyone I talk to, but with Blaze I only need 5 or 6!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #10124 on: February 20, 2024, 12:58:11 PM »
Awww, hell.  Bruce is going to be in Santa Ana in April?  That show is going to be a quick sell-out.  I would have liked to see Bruce play in the Anaheim House of Blues.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10125 on: February 21, 2024, 05:41:25 PM »
Is there any reason why the new Bruce Dickinson album is listed at $27 on Amazon??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10126 on: February 21, 2024, 05:45:17 PM »
Is there any reason why the new Bruce Dickinson album is listed at $27 on Amazon??

Is that the regular version or fancy digipak version?  Over here it seems the regular edition is $26 and the media book one is $76!!  Fuck that!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10127 on: February 21, 2024, 05:46:52 PM »

Is that the regular version or fancy digipak version?  Over here it seems the regular edition is $26 and the media book one is $76!!  Fuck that!

No shit. I'd only be interested in the media book if I was like 15, and there's no way I could afford that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10128 on: February 21, 2024, 05:59:08 PM »

No shit. I'd only be interested in the media book if I was like 15, and there's no way I could afford that.

Good chance I won't buy it at all.  I think my days of purchasing physical media are done.  If it's a crappy cardboard digipak with just the cd and not much of a booklet, I probably won't bother.  The media book version doesn't have any extras as far as I can see and that price is just taking the piss.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10130 on: February 21, 2024, 08:45:15 PM »
Well that's a bit silly.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10131 on: February 22, 2024, 04:28:19 AM »
Any one here wants to review Bruce's solo record?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10132 on: February 22, 2024, 12:07:23 PM »
Any one here wants to review Bruce's solo record?

I will; by when?

Offline WardySI

« Reply #10133 on: February 22, 2024, 08:07:15 PM »

Good chance I won't buy it at all.  I think my days of purchasing physical media are done.  If it's a crappy cardboard digipak with just the cd and not much of a booklet, I probably won't bother.  The media book version doesn't have any extras as far as I can see and that price is just taking the piss.

Regards the deluxe package agree on all counts particularly after reading below only a few tracks actually relate to the comic book.

That said will definitely be purchasing a standard edition \m/

Interview I did with Blaze Bayley about his new album, which is even better than the previous one: https://youtu.be/NwhFfGvQNxI?si=RHacm5-eo43AAPB6

Watched this through this morning before delving into the album.

Gotta love his passion and enthusiasm, excellent interview thanks!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10135 on: February 26, 2024, 07:54:54 AM »
Very random thought: On The Final Frontier, the row The Alchemist - Isle of Avalon - Starblind must be the best streak of Maiden music that has never been played live.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #10136 on: February 26, 2024, 08:00:09 AM »
The Final Frontier is my favorite of the reunion albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10137 on: February 26, 2024, 08:25:09 AM »
The Final Frontier is my favorite of the reunion albums.

Same here.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10138 on: February 26, 2024, 08:29:02 AM »
It's my least favorite of the reunion albums.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #10139 on: February 26, 2024, 09:01:21 AM »
Very random thought: On The Final Frontier, the row The Alchemist - Isle of Avalon - Starblind must be the best streak of Maiden music that has never been played live.

It's a great streak of songs, for sure. My favorite on the album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10140 on: February 26, 2024, 01:17:58 PM »
The Alchemist to the the end of the album is one of the strongest runs of music I've ever heard.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #10141 on: February 26, 2024, 01:22:23 PM »
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10142 on: February 27, 2024, 01:19:35 AM »
The Final frontier features some of their most underrated songs ever. Particularly The Man who would be king, The Alchemist and Isle of Avalon.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #10143 on: February 27, 2024, 03:58:27 AM »

That for me is 'Senjutsu'.  As much as I love Steve Harris - those 45 minutes (spread over only 4 tracks) that are his solo writing credits are too much, it doesn't help I don't think any of those 4 tracks are among his best (long) work.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10144 on: February 27, 2024, 08:03:40 AM »

That for me is 'Senjutsu'.  As much as I love Steve Harris - those 45 minutes (spread over only 4 tracks) that are his solo writing credits are too much, it doesn't help I don't think any of those 4 tracks are among his best (long) work.

The last two tracks on Senjutsu put it over the top of TFF for me.  Somehow on AMOLAD they got it just right with all those epic tracks though.

I guess my reunion album rankings would be:

AMOLAD
BNW
DOD
Senjutsu
TBOS
TFF

But I do enjoy all of them, so TFF isn't a bad album, just my least favorite.  Also DOD, SUnjutsu and TBOS are kind of interchangeable in the muddy middle for me. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #10145 on: February 27, 2024, 08:26:34 AM »

The last two tracks on Senjutsu put it over the top of TFF for me.  Somehow on AMOLAD they got it just right with all those epic tracks though.

I guess my reunion album rankings would be:

AMOLAD
BNW
DOD
Senjutsu
TBOS
TFF

But I do enjoy all of them, so TFF isn't a bad album, just my least favorite.  Also DOD, SUnjutsu and TBOS are kind of interchangeable in the muddy middle for me.

I think it probably speaks for the quality of these albums that we have such a differing ranking!

1. Final Frontier
2. Dance of Death
3. Book of Souls.
4. Brave New World
5. A Matter....
6. Senjutsu

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #10146 on: February 27, 2024, 09:10:01 AM »
This is hard to do because I like something about every record.  Brave New World will always be ranked #1 for the reunion albums - that was just a magical time with Bruce and Adrian coming back and the band putting out a SLAMMING album with a really cool tour. 

Brave New World
Senjutsu
AMOL&D
Dance of Death
The Book of Souls
The Final Frontier

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10147 on: February 27, 2024, 09:30:30 AM »
This is hard to do because I like something about every record.  Brave New World will always be ranked #1 for the reunion albums - that was just a magical time with Bruce and Adrian coming back and the band putting out a SLAMMING album with a really cool tour. 

Brave New World
Senjutsu
AMOL&D
Dance of Death
The Book of Souls
The Final Frontier

I might switch A Matter of Life and Death and Dance of Death... maybe. But that'd be my ranking, too.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #10148 on: February 27, 2024, 10:05:19 AM »
DOD / AMOLAD / TFF
Senjutsu
BNW

TBOS

There's almost nothing between DOD / AMOLAD / TFF for me. They all have such top drawer songs, and a couple of factors that just keep them off all-time classic status, but I love all three.

BNW being released obvs was an incredible moment but the album has never satisfied me as a whole,  despite some great tracks.

I almost never play TBOS anymore. By far my least favourite reunion record. Feels unfinished / rushed / unedited. Eternity is wonderful, though, and easily outshines everything else on it.

TFF is a really interesting one. It doesn't start or finish well, imo. The intro and title track don't deliver the awesome space vibe that they promise. El D has a fun opening riff but doesn't move me as a track. MoM is fine but forgettable. THEN - Coming Home through to The Talisman (best maiden track since the SSOASS era?) is absolutely fantastic. Complex, groovy, evocative. Just brilliant. TMWWBK is almost great and I know lots love it. WTWB is a dud for me. Close but no cigar. That repeating unison verse melody that Bruce and one guitar play is a horrible arrangement and goes on and on. And the lyrics don't conjure the nuclear feels for me either. If the whole album was like that prime middle section, it would easily top my reunion ranking.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10149 on: February 27, 2024, 12:00:09 PM »
Adrian Smith turns 67 today!