Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573127 times)

Online nick_z

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #10080 on: February 13, 2024, 06:22:11 AM »

At the time, following Powerslave, each successive album was worse than the one before it.  In retrospect, I regard NPFTD as being better than both SSOASS and Fear.  Both SSOASS and Fear have songs that are better than anything on NPFTD, but NPFTD (similar to SIT) is far more consistent and doesn't have as many low moments as SS and Fear.

Well, THAT is one hot take  :biggrin:

(I mean, SSOASS is top 5 Maiden for me, so I clearly have a very high opinion of it...but still  ;))

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10081 on: February 13, 2024, 06:45:20 AM »
SSOASS is Top 1 Maiden for me, so yeah. Hot take indeed.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10082 on: February 13, 2024, 07:06:33 AM »
The only low moment of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is after the last note of Only The Good Die Young. Because the album ends.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #10083 on: February 13, 2024, 07:11:15 AM »
Yep, 7th is my #1 Maiden also :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10084 on: February 13, 2024, 07:23:12 AM »
The only low moment of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is after the last note of Only The Good Die Young. Because the album ends.

Granted I've never been a fan of The Prophecy, but the rest of the album more than makes up for it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #10085 on: February 13, 2024, 08:04:11 AM »
Fear of the Dark is awesome and so much better than No Prayer.

Be Quick or Be Dead
From Here to Eternity
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Fear Is the Key
Childhood's End
Wasting Love
The Fugitive
Judas Be My Guide    :metal
Fear of the Dark

All great songs that I've always enjoyed.  The album is a little bloated, but that's why players now have a skip button.   :)

Online nick_z

« Reply #10086 on: February 13, 2024, 09:58:12 AM »
I do overall agree that FOTD>NPFTD, although neither sits very high in my Maiden ranking

:) Can't say I disagree

(although, yes, The Prophecy is not among the best they've done...)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10087 on: February 13, 2024, 10:17:21 AM »

At the time, following Powerslave, each successive album was worse than the one before it.  In retrospect, I regard NPFTD as being better than both SSOASS and Fear.  Both SSOASS and Fear have songs that are better than anything on NPFTD, but NPFTD (similar to SIT) is far more consistent and doesn't have as many low moments as SS and Fear.

Well, THAT is one hot take  :biggrin:

(I mean, SSOASS is top 5 Maiden for me, so I clearly have a very high opinion of it...but still  ;))

I didn't realize until I first started posting here how highly SSOASS was regarded.  The funny thing is that the title track and Moonchild were my #2 and #8 songs when we did the Maiden countdown in 2022.  However, I'd rank almost everything on NPFTD over almost everything else on SSOASS.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10088 on: February 13, 2024, 10:30:34 AM »
I hold SSOASS pretty high (probably my #3) but I honestly think the singles from it are what brings it down. Can I Play With Madness especially is down there among my least favorites out of their radio singles. It's not bad but it's not particularly great either IMO.

As for the FotD discussion, that album has grown on me. It's a bit of a muddled album that's all over the place but some of the risks really pay off. Fear is the Key is a personal favorite of mine and I think at least half of that album is memorable songs. I think its unfair to lump it together with No Prayer (which often happens) because the most memorable song on that album (for good or bad) is a Bruce Dickinson solo song that isn't even that great.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #10089 on: February 13, 2024, 06:04:04 PM »
i love SSOASS
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10090 on: February 13, 2024, 06:07:01 PM »
I hold SSOASS pretty high (probably my #3) but I honestly think the singles from it are what brings it down. Can I Play With Madness especially is down there among my least favorites out of their radio singles. It's not bad but it's not particularly great either IMO.

As for the FotD discussion, that album has grown on me. It's a bit of a muddled album that's all over the place but some of the risks really pay off. Fear is the Key is a personal favorite of mine and I think at least half of that album is memorable songs. I think its unfair to lump it together with No Prayer (which often happens) because the most memorable song on that album (for good or bad) is a Bruce Dickinson solo song that isn't even that great.

That's easily the worst song on the album IMO.  On par with Hooks in You.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #10091 on: February 13, 2024, 08:37:59 PM »
I love NPFTD. In terms of personal favorites, it's part of my heart's trifecta with the first album and Dance of Death. Which doesn't mean it's better than the others, or that there isn't a lot in the other albums that I love dearly.

I wouldn't go to bat for NPFTD because I realize some parts of it are a bit... exotic compared to the rest of the band's discography (the light-hearted Holy Smoke, the kinda cheesy Assassin, and Hooks in You had to grow on me over years), but damn, there are some great moments in this. The title track in particular really moves me every time. I also LOVE Run Silent Run Deep, even though Bruce himself doesn't like his own lyrics (his loss!). Public Enema Number One, Mother Russia, Tailgunner... there is a lot to love here (for me).

They said they wanted to recover the vibe of their early years, and I'd say they failed: what they came up with was an unpolished album that contrasts SSOASS directly... I'm glad both albums exist (and all the others).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10092 on: February 14, 2024, 09:07:03 AM »

That's easily the worst song on the album IMO.  On par with Hooks in You.

...Daughter blows on every level; it's a joke that doesn't connect.  But I actually LIKE Hooks In You.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #10093 on: February 14, 2024, 03:41:45 PM »
I will say something heretical here, but I prefer NPFTD and FOTD to any of the reunion era albums. Honestly the only weak songs from those albums are Holy Smoke, Hooks in You, Bring Your Daughter and From Here from Eternity. Still... they all have their moments and are kind fun. Despite No Prayer having 3 weaker tracks, I really love the others and Fear have quite forgotten gems like Be Quick, Fear is the Key, The Fugitive, Chidhood's End and Judas Be My Guide. Despite the very good quality of the reunion albums (with GREAT quality in a lot of the songs), I think they all lack the more rocker/energetic attitude and heaviness that Maiden had until Fear and never truly brought it back. I thought when Bruce came back, we would have this back, because I think his solo career, although different, also has that vibe (by the way, I have a similar take comparing Bruce's solo albums with modern Maiden). But, unfortunately it didn't happen.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10094 on: February 14, 2024, 04:10:00 PM »
I will say something heretical here, but I prefer NPFTD and FOTD to any of the reunion era albums. Honestly the only weak songs from those albums are Holy Smoke, Hooks in You, Bring Your Daughter and From Here from Eternity. Still... they all have their moments and are kind fun. Despite No Prayer having 3 weaker tracks, I really love the others and Fear have quite forgotten gems like Be Quick, Fear is the Key, The Fugitive, Chidhood's End and Judas Be My Guide. Despite the very good quality of the reunion albums (with GREAT quality in a lot of the songs), I think they all lack the more rocker/energetic attitude and heaviness that Maiden had until Fear and never truly brought it back. I thought when Bruce came back, we would have this back, because I think his solo career, although different, also has that vibe (by the way, I have a similar take comparing Bruce's solo albums with modern Maiden). But, unfortunately it didn't happen.

I can understand this mate.  I think the reunion albums do what they set out to do perfectly but I can see what you mean.  You do have the songs like Rainmaker, Wicker Man etc. but yes, I can see how they lack the attitude that some of these songs had.  I guess the band grew older too, so maybe it's just a natural progression.  But that's a fair point on thinking Bruce bringing that heaviness back after his solo albums but I guess at the end of the day, it's Steve's band.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #10095 on: February 14, 2024, 06:01:37 PM »
No doubt, it's Steve's call and Maiden didn't change so drastically in style from X Factor to Senjutsu, although much better done with Bruce and Adrian. But, again, see Judas Priest, they still manage to create albums with that kind of energy. Different bands, different members dynamics and all, but I kind of envy how Priest sounds today compared to Maiden.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10096 on: February 14, 2024, 06:06:24 PM »
I will say something heretical here, but I prefer NPFTD and FOTD to any of the reunion era albums. 

This is a hot take, brother!

I need to catch up with this thread, but I had to get that in.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10097 on: February 14, 2024, 06:12:07 PM »
No doubt, it's Steve's call and Maiden didn't change so drastically in style from X Factor to Senjutsu, although much better done with Bruce and Adrian. But, again, see Judas Priest, they still manage to create albums with that kind of energy. Different bands, different members dynamics and all, but I kind of envy how Priest sounds today compared to Maiden.

I'd easily take Maiden's late journey over Priests, Priest is very spotty but Firepower was remarkable and I'm thinking a focal point of what you are saying.  The whole reunion era in relation to Maiden is pretty special to me and grows in appreciation as time goes on.  I think what you say about it though has a lot of merit.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10098 on: February 14, 2024, 06:34:05 PM »
Came across this today, and hope it's something new for some.  I did get a kick out of it

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10099 on: February 14, 2024, 06:38:33 PM »
Nice!
Nope, never seen that before.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10100 on: February 14, 2024, 07:00:35 PM »

Be Quick or Be Dead
From Here to Eternity
Fear Is the Key
Childhood's End
Wasting Love
The Fugitive
Fear of the Dark

All great songs that I've always enjoyed.  The album is a little bloated, but that's why players now have a skip button.   :)

So, I'm usually skipping FHTE, but otherwise, it's still 8 songs deep, easy. I agree with you on the tracks too.

Childhood's End is amazing, and I love Fear Is The Key. It's a total Deep Purple tribute.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10101 on: February 14, 2024, 07:11:19 PM »

Be Quick or Be Dead
From Here to Eternity
Fear Is the Key
Childhood's End
Wasting Love
The Fugitive
Fear of the Dark

So, I'm usually skipping FHTE, but otherwise, it's still 8 songs deep, easy. I agree with you on the tracks too.

Childhood's End is amazing, and I love Fear Is The Key. It's a total Deep Purple tribute.

It really is, and the solo section is amazing.  Fear is the Key is good, you've always said the Deep Purple thing and I hear it.  Janick rips on that one too.

FHTE is one of those songs where one day I think it's pretty fun but other days it's cringey.  I guess it's both but again the solo section is awesome.  Both Dave and Janick produced some of the best solos sections on these two albums in Maiden's whole career.  They both go ape shit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10102 on: February 14, 2024, 07:14:21 PM »
Yeah, Fear Of The Dark just seemed like a much more solid Maiden album after No Prayer. I mean, it was obvious to me as soon as I got it. I cut them some slack for including a handful of b-side tracks. I feel like if they had to stick to LP lengths, they'd have made the appropriate edits and it would be much better regarded.

No Prayer doesn't have that excuse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10103 on: February 14, 2024, 07:17:21 PM »
Yeah, Fear Of The Dark just seemed like a much more solid Maiden album after No Prayer. I mean, it was obvious to me as soon as I got it. I cut them some slack for including a handful of b-side tracks. I feel like if they had to stick to LP lengths, they'd have made the appropriate edits and it would be much better regarded.

No Prayer doesn't have that excuse.

Unfortunately, this is true.  It has a few amazing tracks, but does limp home with what's on offer.  FOTD does have that bloat to give it some buffer.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10104 on: February 15, 2024, 09:59:17 AM »
Came across this today, and hope it's something new for some.  I did get a kick out of it

What's the album in the bottom right?  I increased the size, but that just pixelated it, so I couldn't read the words.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #10105 on: February 15, 2024, 10:26:28 AM »
Heard the new Bruce. Really liked my first listen this morning, and will do a deeper dive in the coming days.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #10106 on: February 15, 2024, 11:28:38 AM »

What's the album in the bottom right?  I increased the size, but that just pixelated it, so I couldn't read the words.

New Kids on the Block - Hangin' Tough

I guess Satan brought us devil music and boy bands.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #10107 on: February 15, 2024, 11:30:49 AM »
Satan's really selling a lot of his 90s black/war metal worshippers short here. Talk about being ungrateful.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10108 on: February 15, 2024, 11:35:18 AM »

New Kids on the Block - Hangin' Tough

I guess Satan brought us devil music and boy bands.

I think that's really funny, that Satan inspired NKOTB.  :)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10109 on: February 15, 2024, 11:52:51 AM »
Heard the new Bruce. Really liked my first listen this morning, and will do a deeper dive in the coming days.

I posted some pages ago a track by track italian review, where I summarized the main description of the songs, do you agree with that?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #10110 on: February 15, 2024, 12:04:59 PM »

I posted some pages ago a track by track italian review, where I summarized the main description of the songs, do you agree with that?

Can you repost?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10111 on: February 15, 2024, 12:26:35 PM »
Here we go:

https://metalitalia.com/articolo/bruce-dickinson-il-nuovo-album-the-mandrake-project-traccia-per-traccia/

Italian track by track, if you trust Google Translate.

In very, very short:

01. AFTERGLOW OF RAGNAROK
Not representative of the whole album 'cause the album is varied.

02. MANY DOORS TO HELL
Standard simple song, hammond organ, melodic.

03. RAIN ON THE GRAVES
Not among the best of the album.

04. RESURRECTION MAN
Western atmosphere, acoustic guitar, Morricone feel, then the electric part comes in, nice chorus, then it changes mood and goes into Sabbath territory.

05. FINGERS IN THE WOUNDS
Keyboard led, there's piano and acoustic guitars, but it's not really a ballad, some arab-ey melodies and there's a good solo in the Kashmir, Gates of Babylon vein.

06. ETERNITY HAS FAILED
It's just the demo for If Eternity Should Fail.

07. MISTRESS OF MERCY
The most "Accident of Birth" track, '90s feel. Title track, Road to Hell and Starchildren are mentioned for reference.

08. FACE IN THE MIRROR
The first "true" ballad, simple but poignant.

09. SHADOW OF THE GODS
Structured like Omega in the sense that the first half is a (piano) ballad, then it gets heavier. It's a progression - starts acoustic, then orchestral, and then the heaviness arrives.

10. SONATA (IMMORTAL BELOVED)
Described as very experimental, dreamy, a bit of a WTF song that didn't fully convince the reviewer, the more it goes on, the more it goes off the tangent and off the "classic song structure", giving the impression that Bruce is just randomly improvizing vocal lines like if the song was an embryonic one.  Totally did not expect such a description.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #10112 on: February 15, 2024, 12:33:00 PM »
Kind of agree, but that's a VERY simplistic review. For now, Resurrection Man and Fingers in the Wounds are my favorite tracks so far. And it's symptomatic to me that Bruce was questioning whether or not eternity would fail in 2015, and now after facing health issues and being confronted with his own mortality, he's sure that "eternity HAS failed".

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10113 on: February 15, 2024, 01:06:36 PM »
Is Sonata really THAT weird btw?

Online DTwwbwMP

« Reply #10114 on: February 15, 2024, 02:02:58 PM »
From hellonearthmetalzine:
https://hellonearthmetalzine.com/2024/02/06/review-bruce-dickinson-the-mandrake-project-2024/

The wait for Bruce Dickinson’s new solo album has been long. A whole nineteen years have passed since the man released his previous solo record, “Tyranny of Souls”. At the same time, we’ve been given hints that Dickinson has long been working on a solo album. Already in 2015, we got to hear the first song from what Dickinson had been tinkering with when “If Eternity Should Fail” was included on Iron Maiden’s “The Book of Souls”. The song was taken from his upcoming solo album. This song is also featured on “The Mandrake Project” … but under the title “Eternity Has Failed”. However, it’s not very different from the version released by Iron Maiden.

“The Mandrake Project” kicks off vigorously and heavily with “Afterglow of Ragnarok” – which was also the first single and video from the album. The production by Dickinson’s long-time collaborator, guitarist Roy Z, is evident. It continues with “Many Doors To Hell”, which is lighter and has a catchy chorus. Dickinson’s voice is crystal clear, and it’s almost unbelievable to think that he’s now 65 years old. “Rain on the Graves” is the song that stands out the most on the album. It gives off blues vibes, and Bruce almost speaks (raps) in the verse, while the chorus is typically melodious Dickinson solo. Additionally, it has some dramatic synths that give the song an even greater distinctive character. Perhaps it’s not surprising that this became the second song released as a video. “Resurrection Men” is also very catchy with a very nice chorus. The song ranks high among the favorites on the album. “Fingers in the Wounds” slows it down again before the aforementioned “Eternity Has Failed” takes over as one of the highlights of the album. It’s worth noting that the song now has longer solo parts consisting of both a guitar solo and a keyboard solo. So it differs a bit from the version we’re familiar with from Iron Maiden. “Mistress of Mercy” has a typical Roy Z riff, and this could easily have been included on an album like “Balls to Picasso.” “Face in the Mirror” is the album’s ballad. A quiet, beautiful song beautifully sung by Dickinson. Thoughts drift to “Navigate the Seas of the Sun.” Perhaps not as good a song, as the latter is one of Dickinson’s finest songs, but not far off. “Shadow of the Gods” starts quietly but takes a dark and heavy turn midway through the song. While the last part of the song is majestic. The closing track, “Sonata (Immortal Beloved)”, is perhaps “The Mandrake Project’s” most special and artistic piece. This is a quiet song with a lot of drama. It’s also the album’s longest song at almost ten minutes, which also means the longest song of all Dickinson’s solo songs. Bruce sings absolutely fantastically on this one, and it’s a truly beautiful conclusion to “The Mandrake Project”.

As an album, “The Mandrake Project” is strong in every possible way. Each song has its own distinctive character and belongs here. Although the album isn’t one hundred percent a concept album, it’s not far off and can be read more about in a longer comic book that can be purchased. The wait for almost 20 years is over, and it’s delightful to conclude that it has also been worth it. “The Mandrake Project” is one of Dickinson’s strongest albums and can be equated with the two fantastic albums from the late 90s; “Accident of Birth” and “The Chemical Wedding.” It doesn’t get any better, and fans of Bruce Dickinson have nothing to fear.