Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572973 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9765 on: September 04, 2023, 06:05:57 PM »
Thought of a prompt to ask you guys: what is your favorite instance of a difference between a studio version and a live version of a song in which the live version fares better (in your opinion)? General arrangement changes for when they play a given song live or specific released tracks, you name it.

Revelations from Live After Death >> the POM version.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9766 on: September 05, 2023, 07:48:14 AM »
I don't know if it's strictly an arrangement thing or anything like that, but "Blood Brothers" is ALWAYS better live.  The version we saw in NJ at the end of the Book Of Souls tour was one of my Maiden highlights, and I'm not sure from a studio perspective the song is even  in my top 25 (I ranked it 17 in Kev's countdown, but that's because of the live version).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9767 on: September 05, 2023, 02:15:18 PM »
I don't know if it's strictly an arrangement thing or anything like that, but "Blood Brothers" is ALWAYS better live.  The version we saw in NJ at the end of the Book Of Souls tour was one of my Maiden highlights, and I'm not sure from a studio perspective the song is even  in my top 25 (I ranked it 17 in Kev's countdown, but that's because of the live version).

Agree.  I was blown away by it on the sane tour.  Gave me a new found appreciation of the song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9768 on: September 15, 2023, 11:02:18 AM »
It's in the game.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9769 on: September 15, 2023, 04:01:18 PM »
Goddamnit.  Now Bruce is going to blow out a knee and miss the entire season.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9770 on: September 15, 2023, 04:02:33 PM »
And he's no longer flying the plane, that's for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #9771 on: September 19, 2023, 03:15:23 PM »
- About his neck – the dead bird is hung!
- You know, seagulls have a pretty good life, don't they? They always live at the beach. And everytime you see seagulls, you see a beach and water.

----

I tried to parody the moment when Madden and Pat Summerall talk about the blue angels flying over the stadium as if they were talking about Bruce's Spitfire prop, but my comedic skills aren't that tight.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9772 on: September 19, 2023, 03:55:40 PM »
I have no idea what the fuck is going on here.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9773 on: September 20, 2023, 01:08:24 AM »

Janick Gers joining the band in 1990 and hearing the stuff they were doing coming off Seventh Son, probably.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9774 on: September 20, 2023, 03:37:02 AM »

Janick Gers joining the band in 1990 and hearing the stuff they were doing coming off Seventh Son, probably.

Lol wut?!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9775 on: September 20, 2023, 04:15:19 AM »
I considered your reply (which I understood, it was about the last few WTF posts) as if it was a quote, and I imagined who could have said that  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9776 on: September 20, 2023, 04:19:41 AM »
Iron Maiden Jepordy?  :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #9777 on: September 20, 2023, 06:59:46 AM »
Slightly out there question, but the thread is moving that way anyway :)

Do you fans from the US get 'Up the Irons'?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9778 on: September 20, 2023, 08:43:21 AM »

Google "The Madden curse"; it's not really valid, but there was a sort of thing going around for a while that if you appeared on a Madden NFL game cover, you got a serious if not career-threatening injury or something else that sent your career into the shitter.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9779 on: September 20, 2023, 08:48:44 AM »

I sort of figured from day one that it was a football reference, and later I learned it was (it's a nickname for 'Arry's favorite club, West Ham United; we here in the States would say "Go Patriots!"). But I can proudly and honestly say I've never said it to anyone else (I know some Maiden fans use it as a greeting). 

I've never been a fan of that, adopting bands' in-jokes.  For example, I NEVER refer to Alex, Geddy or Neil as "Lerxst", "Pratt" or "Dirk".  I think it's too familiar.  I'm not their friend, and I'm not in their inner circle. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9780 on: September 20, 2023, 10:12:05 AM »

It's a thing that Maiden fans say to each other out of camaraderie.  If it has a more complex, deeper meaning, I don't know it, but I can only speak for myself.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9781 on: September 20, 2023, 10:21:12 AM »

It's a thing that Maiden fans say to each other out of camaraderie.
  If it has a more complex, deeper meaning, I don't know it, but I can only speak for myself.
This. If I'm wearing a Maiden shirt and somebody comments on it (happens a lot, actually), they'll usually get the horns and an Up The Irons back from me. Sometimes they get it and sometimes they don't, but hopefully will going forward.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9782 on: September 20, 2023, 10:24:27 AM »
I can't tell you how many times someone has said "nice shirt" to me, and I sort of mumble something incoherent because I've forgotten what shirt I'm wearing.   :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9783 on: September 20, 2023, 10:30:26 AM »
 :lol I usually just say thanks because I also sometimes forget what I'm wearing.  But I usually try to take a look at their shirt to know if I can say "same to you!" which is often the case.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9784 on: September 20, 2023, 11:29:26 AM »
That's an interesting thing too; I see a LOT of Iron Maiden shirts out there.  More than any other band (the only ones that are close are Metallica and Kiss).   I almost always acknowledge them ("Nice shirt, my man!") and give the thumbs up. 

Maybe I have to give a rethink to the "Up The Irons".  I was also the guy that said "you shouldn't wear your own band's shirt on stage" and "you shouldn't wear any concert shirt from a show you haven't been to" and I've had to rethink those as well. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9785 on: September 20, 2023, 11:32:37 AM »
I've worn Iron Maiden shirts my entire life and I don't think anyone has ever said "Up the Irons" to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9786 on: September 20, 2023, 11:38:07 AM »
I've worn Iron Maiden shirts my entire life and I don't think anyone has ever said "Up the Irons" to me.

I'm not entirely sure I've ever heard this said aloud to me or in my vicinity, but I've seen it all over the internet and have written it plenty of times myself in regards to something IM related.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9787 on: September 20, 2023, 11:55:38 AM »
I have absolutely said “Up the irons!” to guys in public wearing a maiden shirt. Sometimes I get some horns thrown my way other times they look confused because they forgot what shirt they left the house in.

And for those that don’t know where it came from, it used to be something in the liner Notes of nearly every single iron maiden album
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9788 on: September 20, 2023, 11:59:44 AM »
That's an interesting thing too; I see a LOT of Iron Maiden shirts out there.  More than any other band (the only ones that are close are Metallica and Kiss).   I almost always acknowledge them ("Nice shirt, my man!") and give the thumbs up. 

Maybe I have to give a rethink to the "Up The Irons".  I was also the guy that said "you shouldn't wear your own band's shirt on stage" and "you shouldn't wear any concert shirt from a show you haven't been to" and I've had to rethink those as well.
That one I'm still kind of a snob about. There are plenty of non-concert shirts you can wear to show support. If it's got dates on it, you should be included in one of them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9789 on: September 20, 2023, 12:04:20 PM »

That one I'm still kind of a snob about. There are plenty of non-concert shirts you can wear to show support. If it's got dates on it, you should be included in one of them.

I kind of agree.  I prefer having attended one of the shows on the back, but at the same time - if a band is getting rid of tour shirt stock and it's priced cheaper, I'm going to buy that shirt every time and save money. 

I didn't attend the Testament "Bay Area' tour with Exodus and Death Angel, though I desperately wanted to.   A regular Testament shirt is $30+.  Nuclear Blast was selling the tour shirts for $10.  I bought 2 tour shirts for less than the price of a one-sided album cover shirt. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9790 on: September 20, 2023, 12:08:50 PM »

That's a personal rule for myself, but I'm not going to hold it against someone.  I feel like the people who do this are usually fringe fans and just trying to fit in or they just really liked the design of the shirt.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9791 on: September 20, 2023, 12:44:11 PM »

That's a personal rule for myself, but I'm not going to hold it against someone.  I feel like the people who do this are usually fringe fans and just trying to fit in or they just really liked the design of the shirt.
Well, I'm not gonna punch somebody in the nose because of it. Like you, I consider it a personal rule, but I do think of people who do this as wannabes, like you said.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9792 on: September 20, 2023, 01:00:43 PM »

Google "The Madden curse"; it's not really valid, but there was a sort of thing going around for a while that if you appeared on a Madden NFL game cover, you got a serious if not career-threatening injury or something else that sent your career into the shitter.

Ah yes, thanks Bill.  Have seen similar types of things with some sports over here in totally different contexts though.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9793 on: September 20, 2023, 01:08:34 PM »

Well, I'm not gonna punch somebody in the nose because of it. Like you, I consider it a personal rule, but I do think of people who do this as wannabes, like you said.
Nah - I think it's more appropriate to define wannabes as the idiots like the Kardashians and others who only wear certain band shirts because they think they look cool, hip or trendy but have zero (or almost zero) clue as to the band or their catalog.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9794 on: September 20, 2023, 01:10:59 PM »

Nah - I think it's more appropriate to define wannabes as the idiots like the Kardashians and others who only wear certain band shirts because they think they look cool, hip or trendy but have zero (or almost zero) clue as to the band or their catalog.

In "A Star Is Born", Lady Gaga answers the door to her house with a Yes Tormato t-shirt on.  And if I ever meet her, I swear that will be the question:  are you that big a fan, or was that shirt an afterthought?  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9795 on: September 20, 2023, 01:27:35 PM »
She was born that way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9796 on: September 21, 2023, 10:11:03 AM »
I'm pretty sure she's cited Arriving UFO as having been highly influential for her.

Much like To Be Over really moves Shakira.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #9798 on: September 21, 2023, 10:21:09 AM »
Brilliant news. Well up for tha. Always felt Eternity was brilliant but the ending made no sense at all.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.