Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573388 times)

DoctorAction and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9695 on: August 03, 2023, 06:39:36 AM »
Doesn't Nickos son play drums?

Also if Bruce couldn't do it, give Blaze another crack haha.

Imagine Blaze doing something like the Parchment?!  Fuck yeah.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9696 on: August 03, 2023, 06:40:36 AM »

Does he?

Udo's son plays drums in Udo's band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9697 on: August 03, 2023, 06:42:22 AM »
I like how this whole thing was kept under wraps during the tour, it would be distracting to know about Nicko's state and keep following the concerts. This way, he gave us the best performance possible and then came clean. Kudos to Nicko, he's always been amazing.  :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9698 on: August 03, 2023, 06:42:38 AM »

Does he?

Udo's son plays drums in Udo's band.

Yeah, that's cool and what kind of made me think of it.  Could be wrong.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #9699 on: August 03, 2023, 06:44:13 AM »
Total respect for Nicko and the band for suport him in this difficult moment. If they wanted, it could be easy to immediately find a very good replacement, since there are a lot of great cover/tribute Maiden bands all over the world (and not counting a lot of famous drummers that would more than honoured to play with them anytime...). The simplification of some drum parts in this tour is indeed noticeable, but Nicko is no doubt making an excellent job given the circumstances.  :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9700 on: August 03, 2023, 06:47:58 AM »
When I saw the Legacy Of The Beast tour in 2019, to me the most amazing aspect of the show was Nicko. His stamina and precision was incredible. Unbelievable, actually.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9701 on: August 03, 2023, 06:52:02 AM »
I like how this whole thing was kept under wraps during the tour, it would be distracting to know about Nicko's state and keep following the concerts. This way, he gave us the best performance possible and then came clean. Kudos to Nicko, he's always been amazing.  :tup

:hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9702 on: August 03, 2023, 08:16:07 AM »
I have to wonder.. this tour was announced back in October. What would've happened if Nicko couldn't do this summer run?

Not that many options:

- Postpone the tour
- Get a replacement
- Retire the band alltogether

They're getting up there with age and while they're not expected to die of old age in a couple of years, they must know that an illness or injury severe enough to end their touring days might be right behind the corner. It's either accept that there might be some stand-ins in the future, just like Judas Priest accepted to go on tour without Tipton, or just quit.

As I said elsewhere, mainly discussing Dream Theater's position that this is their last line-up, it's all too easy to announce to want to quit when the next change happens, only the change arrives and you find out if you really want to, there and then, give up the passion of a lifetime. I'm sure DT more or less mean it, but would John Petrucci end the band literally tomorrow if John Myung gave up and quit? or if Rudess or LaBrie did?

Also, it depends on the band members themselves. Was Glenn Tipton ok with Judas Priest ending because he got Parkinson? apparently not. Would Nicko want to go down in history as the reason Iron Maiden retired or would he urge them to continue?

Also, in Iron Maiden, who is replaceable and who is not? Bruce himself once said that he'd like to pick his replacement if he couldn't sing anymore. Would the band even consider it? No Steve Harris = no Iron Maiden obviously, but what if any of the guitarists would go? they'd still have two. Would Steve want to change the man behind the drums after 40 literal years of being with Nicko?

I'm not sure that's the case; I would have said before that:
- "No Glenn Tipton = no Judas Priest"
- "No Chris Squire = no Yes"
- "No Mike Portnoy = no Dream Theater"
- "No Phil Collins = no Genesis"

and none of those are accurate.  I think it's more accurate to say "there's no Iron Maiden unless Steve Harris allows it, but he doesn't have to actually be there".
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 10:47:40 AM by Stadler »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9703 on: August 03, 2023, 09:00:39 AM »
Damn, can't believe he was able to go through the stroke and do the tour, while having it all hush hush.  Incredible and I hope he can stay healthy. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9704 on: August 03, 2023, 01:20:05 PM »
I have to wonder.. this tour was announced back in October. What would've happened if Nicko couldn't do this summer run?

Not that many options:

- Postpone the tour
- Get a replacement
- Retire the band alltogether

They're getting up there with age and while they're not expected to die of old age in a couple of years, they must know that an illness or injury severe enough to end their touring days might be right behind the corner. It's either accept that there might be some stand-ins in the future, just like Judas Priest accepted to go on tour without Tipton, or just quit.

As I said elsewhere, mainly discussing Dream Theater's position that this is their last line-up, it's all too easy to announce to want to quit when the next change happens, only the change arrives and you find out if you really want to, there and then, give up the passion of a lifetime. I'm sure DT more or less mean it, but would John Petrucci end the band literally tomorrow if John Myung gave up and quit? or if Rudess or LaBrie did?

Also, it depends on the band members themselves. Was Glenn Tipton ok with Judas Priest ending because he got Parkinson? apparently not. Would Nicko want to go down in history as the reason Iron Maiden retired or would he urge them to continue?

Also, in Iron Maiden, who is replaceable and who is not? Bruce himself once said that he'd like to pick his replacement if he couldn't sing anymore. Would the band even consider it? No Steve Harris = no Iron Maiden obviously, but what if any of the guitarists would go? they'd still have two. Would Steve want to change the man behind the drums after 40 literal years of being with Nicko?

I'm not sure that's the case; I would have said before that:
- "No Glenn Tipton = no Judas Priest"
- "No Chris Squire = no Yes"
- "No Mike Portnoy = no Dream Theater"
- "No Phil Collins = no Genesis"

and none of those are accurate.  I think it's more accurate to say "there's no Iron Maiden unless Steve Harris allows it, but he doesn't have to actually be there".

To be fair Glenn is still a member of Priest, he just can't tour.  I do think live they are not the sane powerhouse without him up there though.  I personally feel that way about Portnoy too.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #9705 on: August 03, 2023, 09:27:49 PM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9706 on: August 03, 2023, 10:56:35 PM »
Will be great to see some pro shot footage of the current tour.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #9707 on: August 04, 2023, 07:28:11 AM »
Great to hear that Nikko is on the mend and was able to participate in the tour.

My second thought upon reading the news was I bet he happy he's not in Motley Crue!

Offline frogprog

« Reply #9708 on: August 04, 2023, 11:45:00 AM »
Best wishes to Nicko on a continued recovery. He seems like a really cool guy and still a beast on drums. I bet it's not easy when your physical therapy is touring with Iron Maiden

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #9709 on: August 04, 2023, 11:48:47 AM »
Unfortunately I will miss the Wacken stream, but I bet it will be a blast like yesterday's Helloween show was!

And impressive that Nicko managed to participate in the tour this soon, I wish him well! Has always been a great drummer and I enjoyed the performance in Amsterdam recently.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #9710 on: August 04, 2023, 12:39:56 PM »
20 minutes for the show! :tup

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9711 on: August 04, 2023, 12:52:06 PM »
Looks like there won't be any streaming. Some deal must have fallen through.

The stream is billed as a recollection of Maiden's past appearances at Wacken.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #9712 on: August 04, 2023, 12:54:07 PM »
It's true! Frustrating...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9713 on: August 04, 2023, 12:57:12 PM »
My best guess: there's a lot of people missing, due to the weather conditions that forced authorities to stop cars from arriving, so that means less people in the crowd (and give the impression that the place is not packed), and it also means less money to dedicate to the streaming rights. Probably Rod didn't want to offer a discount so no streaming.

Pity, having seen the show in an horrible place, watching a streaming would have allowed me to concentrate better on the visuals.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9714 on: August 04, 2023, 01:00:39 PM »
Dang, I just got ready and comfortable, I almost made myself a snack as well.  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #9715 on: August 04, 2023, 01:51:51 PM »
Damn, that sucks. And yes there were some issues with the weather and entrance to the festival area. But the Helloween crowd was large and loud regardless. It is not like there aren't enough people to fill up the front half or more of the main stage.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #9716 on: August 04, 2023, 02:37:33 PM »
I think I heard that out of the 85000 that were expected, about 50000 made and were let in. That's still an impressive crowd and a live stream would be at least a small consolation for those that couldn't make it/weren't allowed to make it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9717 on: August 05, 2023, 11:17:00 AM »
Realistically I think Maiden can replace any member other than Bruce and Steve and continue no problems. It has been proven time and time again that the vast majority of concert goers don't care who is in the band with some very few exceptions (usually vocalists).

Practically, I think history shows that Steve Harris would replace any member, including Bruce, if he felt like he wanted Maiden to continue. I hadn't heard about Bruce saying he wanted to pick his replacement if it were necessary, anyone have a source on that?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9718 on: August 06, 2023, 02:33:07 AM »
https://blabbermouth.net/news/bruce-dickinson-wants-iron-maiden-to-replace-him-if-he-is-no-longer-able-to-sing

And while I don't disagree with the fact that Steve Harris would do whatever it takes to keep Maiden alive, I think now that they're up with age the possible replacements are considered under a different set of circumstances; back when they were. young and in their prime, Steve needed whoever was able to carry his vision, and when Bruce left in 1993, they were in their 30s and still had a lot to do. Now they're aging and it's more a matter of "do we want to continue all together and then retire all together, or do we accept that we'll pick another drummer or another guitarist if need be?"...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #9719 on: August 07, 2023, 01:09:41 PM »
I wish JLB would have the same courtesy for DT. From the videos I have seen from this tour he just can't do it live anymore sadly. Its sad knowing Bruce realizes it and doesn't want to hurt the band, I respect him for that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9720 on: August 07, 2023, 01:47:08 PM »
BUT... take this for what it is.  I love Bruce, first metal front man I ever saw live, and is still the standard by which I measure all others, but he is a proud man. He's saying this because he CAN still deliver, and he has been delivering at some would say the highest level of his career on these last couple tours.  The guy is a freak of nature; he got cancer and kicked it's ass all over the Hammersmith Odeon.

I think you wouldn't get that level of cocksureness if Bruce wasn't on the top of his game.  (And of course, you have no idea whether he's had the conversation with Steve who said "if you go, we all go", making it a moot point.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9721 on: August 07, 2023, 01:55:17 PM »
Bruce turns 65 today!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #9722 on: August 07, 2023, 01:59:38 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9723 on: August 07, 2023, 02:02:09 PM »
I wish JLB would have the same courtesy for DT. From the videos I have seen from this tour he just can't do it live anymore sadly.

I don't know. I can see James having a perfectly fine tour the next time out.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #9724 on: August 07, 2023, 02:27:32 PM »
I wish JLB would have the same courtesy for DT. From the videos I have seen from this tour he just can't do it live anymore sadly.

I hope you're right. I see 1 more album, maybe 2 left for DT and then a bunch of studio side projects. But who knows.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9725 on: August 07, 2023, 02:30:50 PM »

I hope you're right. I see 1 more album, maybe 2 left for DT and then a bunch of studio side projects. But who knows.

I do wonder if his poor performances continues in the studio.  I'm sure studio magic can make him sound good, but the process, is someone like JP going to have an issue if he can't get the job done behind closed doors?  I'm not suggesting this happens, just a curiosity of how they will handle the vocals going forward.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9726 on: August 07, 2023, 02:49:19 PM »
I think James in studio vs James live are two different beasts. I am not in any way concerned about James in the studio. James has also bounced back a number of times after some shaky tour legs. I guess we'll wait and see, but if the alterations to PMU are any indication, it seems that he and the band are aware of the issues. I mean, how could they not be, and that to me, was always the most interesting angle to it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9727 on: August 07, 2023, 04:32:58 PM »
I think James in studio vs James live are two different beasts. I am not in any way concerned about James in the studio. James has also bounced back a number of times after some shaky tour legs. I guess we'll wait and see, but if the alterations to PMU are any indication, it seems that he and the band are aware of the issues. I mean, how could they not be, and that to me, was always the most interesting angle to it.

Agree.  Seems like the next tour they will be going in from a different angle so should be okay.

Yeah, no complaints with studio James either.  Even though the last album wasn't my cup of tea, he sounded great.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #9728 on: August 07, 2023, 05:46:19 PM »
James seems to have his ups and downs. He was up for the DT13 tour and sounded great at the Boston Opera House show I was at. He was down for the I&W anniversary tour but that is a demanding set so I'll give him a break and he did sound good for Change of seasons which was the most important thing.

Haven't had the change to see them since but that just seems to be how he is now.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #9729 on: August 08, 2023, 05:40:26 AM »
James has bounced back many times and I have loved some of the performances I have seen of him in person (in 2011-2015). But these days his off times seem notably worse for the majority of the shows. I hate to say it, but for me personally it isn't worth the 70+ euro lottery anymore. I would love it if he bounces back on a more consistent level. I really do not mind mistakes here and there and some off key notes / pitchyness, but to me that isn't really where we are at anymore. And I dislike typing this, it is not fun seeing your favourites struggle.