Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572787 times)

Offline The Realm

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9625 on: June 19, 2023, 04:04:23 PM »
Anyone seen a gig on this tour yet or watched any youtube clips? I've watched a number of live clips on youtube and Nicko seems to be really struggling. His fills have nearly disappeared in terms of complexity and timing also appears to be an issue. At one of the gigs in the solo section of Wasted Years, Adrian actually looks over at Nicko a number of times and then cracks it and completely stops playing the high e riff as he can't keep time with the drums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9626 on: June 19, 2023, 04:10:03 PM »
I haven't dug deep on it, but he's simplifying his parts for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9627 on: June 19, 2023, 04:41:07 PM »
I mean, the dude is 71.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #9628 on: June 19, 2023, 08:41:15 PM »
Anyone seen a gig on this tour yet or watched any youtube clips? I've watched a number of live clips on youtube and Nicko seems to be really struggling. His fills have nearly disappeared in terms of complexity and timing also appears to be an issue. At one of the gigs in the solo section of Wasted Years, Adrian actually looks over at Nicko a number of times and then cracks it and completely stops playing the high e riff as he can't keep time with the drums.

This has been going for a while, but it's even MORE pronounced now. I've seen some of the clips, and it does stand out how simplified the drum parts are on this tour. Especially on The Trooper.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9629 on: June 20, 2023, 12:43:33 AM »

That's interesting. I don't suppose you can recall which show?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9630 on: June 20, 2023, 01:20:27 AM »
That happened at the first show I saw in Ljubljana, but I do think it was because of the sound issue they had throughout the show. The rest of the band carried on without a hitch, it's Adrian who's very specific about how he wants his sound.

That being said, Nicko is indeed simplifying his parts. At this point, your age requires you to start compromising some stuff. It might be working out for a couple more years, though. After that, the band either gets someone else on the drums or retires. I'd prefer the second option, it would be dignifying.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #9631 on: June 20, 2023, 04:16:02 AM »

Hee: https://youtube.com/shorts/R2yFpWg8MEE?feature=share

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9632 on: June 20, 2023, 06:58:56 AM »

Hee: https://youtube.com/shorts/R2yFpWg8MEE?feature=share

He was looking back but was he really mad at Nicko, specifically? Not saying he wasn't, but it was hard to tell just from that clip.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9633 on: June 20, 2023, 04:52:28 PM »
Yeah, I didn't think it was clear cut what he was pissed about.  I didn't think it was at Nicko from first viewing.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #9634 on: June 20, 2023, 04:55:08 PM »
Yeah, fair enough. I agree it could have just been an issue with the sound and that he was upset he couldn't hear properly and maybe he was looking back to try and get cues from Nicko to help him but Nicko is buried in drums. So I do now think it wasn't specifically an issue with Nicko's playing.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9635 on: June 21, 2023, 03:43:33 AM »
Finally watched it. I am laughing out loud. Adrian, that is how I feel every single day at work, my friend :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9636 on: June 21, 2023, 06:02:35 AM »
Finally watched it. I am laughing out loud. Adrian, that is how I feel every single day at work, my friend :lol

:lol  Yeah good call.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9637 on: June 21, 2023, 08:41:25 AM »
I don't know why but it gets funnier every time I watch it!

It does sound like something weird is going on with the drumming, though?
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9638 on: June 21, 2023, 09:06:08 AM »
I watched that clip again. It does look like Adrian is turning to Nicko, wondering what's happening. Nicko is changing the tempo throughout, but that's been happening for years now. It's just the nature of their playing, slowing down, speeding up, you can also hear it on the studio albums. Whether or not some band members would prefer to stick to the tempo is a different discussion.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #9639 on: June 21, 2023, 11:00:17 AM »
I mean it still looks like a fun show who really cares if Nicko messes up from time to time. If you want an album perfect version you have the album at home.

I feel the same way when people jump on lars every time he's a little bit sloppy. I feel like everybody posting videos to youtube puts too much emphasis on sounding perfect live other than just putting on a fun show. I'll take a fun but imperfect show over a technically perfect but kinda boring show any day.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9640 on: June 21, 2023, 06:57:49 PM »
I'll have to rewatch it and concentrate on the drums.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9641 on: June 21, 2023, 08:40:11 PM »

Maybe it's time to ditch him and get a new drummer. Since it is obviously not up to the standards of the performance being good.  ::)
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9642 on: June 21, 2023, 08:53:15 PM »
I think it actually is within the realm of possibilities that we see a different drummer in the near future. Supposedly they’ve had Joe Lazarus (son of Steve Lazarus, who has been long associated with Maiden) on standby in case of emergency. Nicko is the oldest in the band and he has the most physically demanding job, if he’s not feeling up to it he has said that he will step down gracefully. At this point replacing aging members is industry standard and I’m not convinced that Maiden is above it.

At the same time Nicko seems to be improving and it seems to me like some of the choices are deliberate in order to maintain his physical capability through an entire tour. I’ll be curious to hear how things are sounding at the end of the summer.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9643 on: June 21, 2023, 09:05:45 PM »
I think it actually is within the realm of possibilities that we see a different drummer in the near future. Supposedly they’ve had Joe Lazarus (son of Steve Lazarus, who has been long associated with Maiden) on standby in case of emergency. Nicko is the oldest in the band and he has the most physically demanding job, if he’s not feeling up to it he has said that he will step down gracefully. At this point replacing aging members is industry standard and I’m not convinced that Maiden is above it.

At the same time Nicko seems to be improving and it seems to me like some of the choices are deliberate in order to maintain his physical capability through an entire tour. I’ll be curious to hear how things are sounding at the end of the summer.

I can respect that.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9644 on: June 22, 2023, 03:10:24 AM »
I go on a limb here but I don't ever see Maiden go on without Nicko, i'm pretty sure the band will be done once one member can't continue no more for various reasons.
I'm pretty sure they've said that in the past.

But of course times might have changed so who knows.

Imagine seeing Maiden live with a 3 piece kit!  :omg: :lol

Phil Collins son Nick plays on a similar kit as his father and he does it superb so I guess it's possible for something like that. There's a few internet Nicko copycats also so that might be a thing.

When you bring on a famous session drummer it will be his type of kit that's on stage and not a Nicko style of kit.
Of course i'm sure Kai Hahto might hounour Nicko and play his kit.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 03:16:58 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9645 on: June 22, 2023, 04:19:59 AM »
I've also heard about the young guy being on stand by during the tour in case something happens to Nicko. But hopefully, they're just making sure they're ready in case Nicko cannot finish the tour for whatever reason. However, if they carry on as a band with a different drummer and continue touring and recording with the kid, that would be a different story. I'm having a hard time imagining the band with a new drummer. They've had this line up for 25 years now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9646 on: June 22, 2023, 08:10:31 AM »
Having standby musicians is nothing new for these older bands with huge tours and money on the line. 

But, I'm really not sure if IM would continue without him (maybe continue a tour, but continue overall?).  I'd probably still go to see them though. For all the IM concerts I've seen, I can't say I've actually seen Nicko a whole lot since he hides behind his set.  If you put someone else there, you may not even notice  :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9647 on: June 23, 2023, 11:55:27 AM »
Yea, I guess I should clarify the guy is on standby probably for insurance reasons. Personally my expectations are that if/when Nicko steps down voluntarily, they will do one more tour after. Mostly just because the rest of the band isn't getting any younger they probably don't have a whole lot of gas left in the tank anyway. But I do think it's pretty likely that we're seeing Nicko's last tour now, arthritis seems to work fast and if he's struggling as much as he is now, that's going to be a real challenge. Honestly kinda reminds me of the last Rush tour, when Alex Lifeson seemed to be in a lot of pain. Even if Peart had wanted to keep going, I'm not sure if Lifeson had more tours in him. We'll see, I'm continually astounded at what Maiden manages to do this late in their career.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline 425

« Reply #9648 on: June 23, 2023, 12:21:58 PM »
My hope is that, regardless of whether they continue touring for much longer, they'll continue to put out studio material. I think Bruce said at one point that they considered writing a second album after they finished Senjutsu while Covid kept them from releasing or touring it, and I really wish they'd done it. I just don't think they're anywhere close to tapped out creatively, and I'd like to hear as much as we can get.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9649 on: June 26, 2023, 08:07:00 AM »
Did I hear right, that Nicko and James LaBrie are working on material for an album and a tour?   :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9650 on: June 26, 2023, 11:40:38 AM »
I thought for a second that you were serious. Then I remembered the current discussion at the Dream Theater side of the board and put two and two together.  :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #9651 on: July 03, 2023, 04:48:40 PM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9652 on: July 03, 2023, 05:05:09 PM »
That's awesome  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9653 on: July 04, 2023, 01:18:27 AM »
Imagine casual fans sitting around him having no idea who he is.  :lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #9654 on: July 04, 2023, 05:31:16 AM »
I was at the Leeds show, and I have to say that while the setlist worked a lot better live than it did on paper (it came across as a Senjutsu themed set with some lesser played 80s classics thrown in) this didn't match with the overall staging, which was very much Somewhere in Time focused. It just didn't make sense having the SiT backdrop with the Samurai Eddie - it left me confused. Several songs were played with the same backdrops - the Wasted Years backdrop for The Time Machine? After the bombast of the last tour, the Spitfire, the Icarus statue and everything, this just seemed like it didn't know what it was trying to be. The whole presentation was very confused, and more than a little disappointing. The music was excellent, of course, the band still have so much energy for their age and all three guitarists seemed to have upped their soloing for this tour.

And there is a special place in hell for whichever idiot decided to close the M621 motorway out of Leeds overnight.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #9655 on: July 05, 2023, 08:03:26 AM »
I am currently revisiting Senjutsu for the first time in a while. Holy hell, what an album. I'm not sure if Maiden plan on making another record (I don't follow the band that closely), but if not, what a way to go out! :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #9656 on: July 06, 2023, 10:32:46 AM »
Well, look who is up and about and attending a Maiden gig?

https://bravewords.com/news/blaze-bayley-poses-with-fans-at-iron-maiden-concert-in-manchester-photos

That guy...everything I have heard about him...the next time he tours the states, and there is a gig within distance, I'm going and buying every piece of merch he has to support him. What a good soul. So awesome he was in the crowd.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9657 on: July 06, 2023, 01:42:35 PM »
Well, look who is up and about and attending a Maiden gig?

https://bravewords.com/news/blaze-bayley-poses-with-fans-at-iron-maiden-concert-in-manchester-photos

That guy...everything I have heard about him...the next time he tours the states, and there is a gig within distance, I'm going and buying every piece of merch he has to support him. What a good soul. So awesome he was in the crowd.

Kind of feeling the same way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9658 on: July 06, 2023, 04:10:57 PM »
Love him.  All class.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #9659 on: July 06, 2023, 06:09:03 PM »
Love him.  All class.

Thanks man. Love you too.  :biggrin: