Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573406 times)

DoctorAction and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9555 on: May 30, 2023, 08:21:15 PM »
Also, thinking about Alexander The Great...I'm not saying it's the greatest Maiden epic or song ever, but it is pretty damned good. Ends a bit clunky.
I never understood them playing Rime on the original Somewhere On Tour. Why not play the current epic off the current album?

Watching the both of the live performances, it really fits in with modern Maiden. I think it's great to play such a rare song (actually never before). So that's cool. It doesn't make the song any greater, but it is cool.

That's one of the biggest factors surrounding the whole thing not being played until now I would have thought?  That plus the band glossing over questions about it over the years and I think even Adrian saying once they couldn't play it because he couldn't remember his parts of something.  Or Nicko said that possibly?  I think the whole aura around the song and the band avoiding it was how much the band simply ignored it and factors around it, plus not getting played on the album tour.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #9556 on: May 30, 2023, 08:56:34 PM »
This thread inspired me to listen to a bit of SiT today, which is an album I rank toward the bottom of IM's discography, along with SSoaSS. Today's listen reminded me there is something about the sound of the album that I don't care for. So, people who know more about audio and album production than me (which is just about everyone here), is there something unique to these albums that may account for this, or is it something I am imagining?

To me all the guitars on SiT sound like they are using Tom Scholz Rockman tone. Always thought is was a very similar guitar tone to Boston's Third Stage.  However, I don't actually know anything about the production of these records so someone else may know better?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9557 on: May 30, 2023, 11:49:23 PM »
Even though they are a band who tends to overdo it on the live releases, I think they just made the next live release a must buy by including it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #9558 on: May 31, 2023, 12:33:48 AM »
This thread inspired me to listen to a bit of SiT today, which is an album I rank toward the bottom of IM's discography, along with SSoaSS. Today's listen reminded me there is something about the sound of the album that I don't care for. So, people who know more about audio and album production than me (which is just about everyone here), is there something unique to these albums that may account for this, or is it something I am imagining?

To me all the guitars on SiT sound like they are using Tom Scholz Rockman tone. Always thought is was a very similar guitar tone to Boston's Third Stage.  However, I don't actually know anything about the production of these records so someone else may know better?

I really adore the sound of the record and I think I asked the same a while back. Not sure what made it, though.

There are some synths there, of course, but they seem very much like single note washes underneath the usual arrangements in general, and never stick out much to me.

The Rockman was famously used for Angus's tone in AC/DC. Not sure about IM. I think I read that there was some sort of double mic placement or something on SiT that meant the guitars had two layers recorded and together they produced a subtle chorus-like effect but I could be dreaming.

Both SiT and SSOASS have very unique sounds to these ears. The guitar tone on the latter very unusual. Not sure I've ever heard anything like it and it may have been Gallien Kruger (spelling?) amps or something.

Either way, I think both those albums have some of the all time greatest production on them.  :metal
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9559 on: May 31, 2023, 07:27:24 AM »
Also, thinking about Alexander The Great...I'm not saying it's the greatest Maiden epic or song ever, but it is pretty damned good. Ends a bit clunky.
I never understood them playing Rime on the original Somewhere On Tour. Why not play the current epic off the current album?

Watching the both of the live performances, it really fits in with modern Maiden. I think it's great to play such a rare song (actually never before). So that's cool. It doesn't make the song any greater, but it is cool.

That's one of the biggest factors surrounding the whole thing not being played until now I would have thought?  That plus the band glossing over questions about it over the years and I think even Adrian saying once they couldn't play it because he couldn't remember his parts of something.  Or Nicko said that possibly?  I think the whole aura around the song and the band avoiding it was how much the band simply ignored it and factors around it, plus not getting played on the album tour.

I get WHY it's got the mystique it does.   And there's a part of me that is glad they're not adhering to sort of arbitrary rules about what they "can" or "can't" play.   I just don't quite get the degree of this mystique.  Are we now going to get the same sort of "fan push" for "Prodigal Son"?   It was never played before; it's the epic on that album.  Why not that one? 

As for Bruce and Steve, yes, I think the buck still stops with Steve, but I think we've got a sort of division of responsibility.  There was a magazine - I'll see if I can find it; it might even be the fan club newsletter - where they talk about this. Steve has the music and the studio side of things and Bruce has the live and stage side of things.   No one is going to be able to convince Steve to do something he doesn't want to do, but I think he's a lot more willing to not be a "control freak" as in days past. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9560 on: May 31, 2023, 07:31:54 AM »
I don't think that Prodigl Son is an example of Epic in the classic Iron Maiden sense, in that at some point they starting stretching things out AND making a big deal about it. Starting with To Tame A Land and even moreso with Rime Of The Ancient Mariner. For some reason, they skipped over Alexander the Great, and then played Seventh Son.

I think there's a genuine curiousness as to..why? And it gets bantied about and talked about and it grows from there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9561 on: May 31, 2023, 07:34:59 AM »
I don't think that Prodigl Son is an example of Epic in the classic Iron Maiden sense, in that at some point they starting stretching things out AND making a big deal about it. Starting with To Tame A Land and even moreso with Rime Of The Ancient Mariner. For some reason, they skipped over Alexander the Great, and then played Seventh Son.

I think there's a genuine curiousness as to..why? And it gets bantied about and talked about and it grows from there.

But we KNOW why.  It blows!   :) :)

(I'm kidding! I'm kidding!)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9562 on: May 31, 2023, 08:16:13 AM »
Are we now going to get the same sort of "fan push" for "Prodigal Son"?   It was never played before; it's the epic on that album.  Why not that one? 

Funny enough, I was refreshing setlist.fm during the show to see the updates live and someone had put Prodigal Son on the set and I was pretty sure it was bogus at the time, but I had to go check other places to confirm that it was bs because that would have been incredibly if they went that deep  :lol

But I think, to answer your question, people generally wanted to see Alexander The Great live, I never hear people asking for Prodigal Son (I'd gladly enjoy it though).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #9563 on: May 31, 2023, 11:21:38 AM »
To me it's amazing how Maiden always seem to approach the line of surprising greatness, but never really go far across it. They pick their theme, they give a little fanfare within it, and then be as generic as possible with the rest of the set.

So this set is based around Somewhere in Time and the new album. Not going to worry about the new stuff, didn't really care what they played from that.

Alexander the Great is an amazing historic inclusion for the band, but I don't know how you effectively hit the theme without including that and opening the show with Caught Somewhere in Time. Given the theme, neither is surprising, and frankly neither are better tracks on the album.

To me, the only thing that's both surprising and better than both of these songs is Stranger in a Strange Land.

Then take away the new stuff and the selections that they seemingly have to include, your Trooper, Iron Maiden, and Fear of the Dark.

What's left is one cool choice in The Prisoner. The rest? Can I Play with Madness, ugh, fucking why again. Heaven Can Wait, yay, glad they brought out the worst track from the album yet again because Steve has a boner for it. Wasted Years I at least understand, it's an amazing short song that fans love. But even that has gotten plenty of play. No Sea of Madness, Deja-Vu, or Loneliness is just highly unfortunate as this was the one chance for those again, just like with Alexander at all. Swap out Madness and Heaven Can Wait with any of those two and you have a truly surprising set from Maiden.

But once again they give juuuuust enough to make some noise without really digging all that deep. 
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline 425

« Reply #9564 on: May 31, 2023, 11:31:04 AM »
They achieved surprising greatness in 2006 and audiences hated it. So they stopped doing that forever. The best I expect now is a compromise between hits and deep cuts that leans more in favor of deep cuts, and this setlist is one of the best they've done by that metric.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9565 on: May 31, 2023, 11:32:25 AM »
To me it's amazing how Maiden always seem to approach the line of surprising greatness, but never really go far across it. They pick their theme, they give a little fanfare within it, and then be as generic as possible with the rest of the set.

So this set is based around Somewhere in Time and the new album. Not going to worry about the new stuff, didn't really care what they played from that.

Alexander the Great is an amazing historic inclusion for the band, but I don't know how you effectively hit the theme without including that and opening the show with Caught Somewhere in Time. Given the theme, neither is surprising, and frankly neither are better tracks on the album.

To me, the only thing that's both surprising and better than both of these songs is Stranger in a Strange Land.

Then take away the new stuff and the selections that they seemingly have to include, your Trooper, Iron Maiden, and Fear of the Dark.

What's left is one cool choice in The Prisoner. The rest? Can I Play with Madness, ugh, fucking why again. Heaven Can Wait, yay, glad they brought out the worst track from the album yet again because Steve has a boner for it. Wasted Years I at least understand, it's an amazing short song that fans love. But even that has gotten plenty of play. No Sea of Madness, Deja-Vu, or Loneliness is just highly unfortunate as this was the one chance for those again, just like with Alexander at all. Swap out Madness and Heaven Can Wait with any of those two and you have a truly surprising set from Maiden.

But once again they give juuuuust enough to make some noise without really digging all that deep. 

I think they deserve a bit more credit than that.  For still including Trooper, Iron Maiden, and Fear of the Dark they also dropped The Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, and Hallowed Be Thy Name. I think that's kind of a wash and honestly better than expected for dropping classics. 

While I would have loved to see Loneliness or Deja Vu (I've never been too high on Sea of Madness) those were likely never even considered. The fans asking for those songs are few and far between even if I am one them.

What I will agree with completely is the inclusion of Can I Play With Madness.  I don't see how that fits with the current theme and even if it hasn't been played in 9 years, it has been played to death.  This is the biggest head scratcher of the set to me. 

Offline 425

« Reply #9566 on: May 31, 2023, 12:13:32 PM »
While I would have loved to see Loneliness or Deja Vu (I've never been too high on Sea of Madness) those were likely never even considered. The fans asking for those songs are few and far between even if I am one them.

Yeah, I'm a die-hard Maiden fan and I have very little interest in hearing Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner or Deja Vu live.

One of my big takeaways from the last few days of this thread is that people have widely varying opinions on Somewhere in Time. I've seen a lot of love for songs I think are meh (see the above two) and a lot of mehing for songs I love (Alexander the Great). I'd be interested in seeing everyone's ranking of SiT songs. Here's mine:

1. Alexander the Great
2. Caught Somewhere in Time
3. Stranger in a Strange Land
4. Sea of Madness
5. Wasted Years
6. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
7. Heaven Can Wait
8. Deja Vu

There's a substantial gap between the top four and Wasted Years, and a bigger gap between Wasted Years and the bottom three.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9567 on: May 31, 2023, 12:17:36 PM »
And look, let's not ignore the plain fact:  I saw the Legacy tour in Hartford - Cram was there, so he can either vouch or call bullshit (and there's a full high-def video of the show on Youtube if you want to see it) - and despite the fanfare for the stage, despite the "Sign Of The Cross" being played, despite the full-size fighter plane over the audience, despite all that......  The highlight of the set in terms of audience participation and enthusiasm was The Number Of The Fucking Beast.   That place went to another level when that song was played.  The place was SHAKING.

If I'm on stage, and I'm playing the same songs night after night, I want the ones that bring the energy back to me.  I want the ones that I can tangibly tell are connecting to the crowd.  I want the ones that bring, to steal Nick's words, greatness. 

That ain't "Alexander The Great". 

Offline 425

« Reply #9568 on: May 31, 2023, 12:20:56 PM »
I'll vouch that that was the case at the show I went to (also eastern U.S.). Sign of the Cross was the highlight of the show for me, but I don't think it was for any of the people around me.

It ain't, but it even more ain't Deja Vu.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9569 on: May 31, 2023, 12:31:46 PM »
1. Stranger in a Strange Land
3. Deja Vu
4. Heaven Can Wait
5. Alexander The Great
6. Sea of Madness
7. Wasted Years
8. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9570 on: May 31, 2023, 12:32:34 PM »

It ain't, but it even more ain't Deja Vu.

HAHA!!! :tup

Offline Glasser

« Reply #9571 on: May 31, 2023, 12:40:42 PM »
The questions I have are: (in a Jerry Seinfeld voice)

1) Can you play with madness? Has that been decided yet? And if you could play with madness, what would you play?

2) How lonely is the long distance runner? Has anyone asked?  And more importantly, how do you know if the runner is, in fact, lonely? Maybe they're running to get away from everyone and want to be lonely!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9572 on: May 31, 2023, 12:45:32 PM »
1. Deja Vu
2. Stranger in a Strange Land
3. Sea of Madness
4. Wasted Years
5. Caught Somewhere in Time
6. Alexander the Great (I love it, the intro is amazing, but the others above are better songs to me).
7. Heaven Can Wait
8. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9573 on: May 31, 2023, 12:47:00 PM »
And look, let's not ignore the plain fact:  I saw the Legacy tour in Hartford - Cram was there, so he can either vouch or call bullshit (and there's a full high-def video of the show on Youtube if you want to see it) - and despite the fanfare for the stage, despite the "Sign Of The Cross" being played, despite the full-size fighter plane over the audience, despite all that......  The highlight of the set in terms of audience participation and enthusiasm was The Number Of The Fucking Beast.   That place went to another level when that song was played.  The place was SHAKING.

If I'm on stage, and I'm playing the same songs night after night, I want the ones that bring the energy back to me.  I want the ones that I can tangibly tell are connecting to the crowd.  I want the ones that bring, to steal Nick's words, greatness. 

Oh I agree and that's why I'm a bit shocked they dropped that and brought on Can I Play With Madness?  I mean, I've heard these songs enough and I could drop both and be very happy, but the general audience has a significant amount of people who attend JUST to see this and/or a couple of the other hits. They don't even know ATG, CSiT, or Hell on Earth.

I'm actually slightly worried the crowds will be mad if this tours the US based on what happened in 2006. (I know I won't, but we can't ignore the average fan).

My rankings:

1. Caught Somewhere in Time
2. Deja Vu
3. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
4. Stranger in a Strange Land
5. Wasted Years
6. Alexander the Great
7. Heaven Can Wait
8. Sea of Madness

and I rate SiT as my #2 IM album behind AMoLaD

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9574 on: May 31, 2023, 12:48:34 PM »
To me, what I think is so significant about this, besides them featuring a good chunk of SiT (my favorite album) and AtG in particular, is the fact that they have FINALLY dropped several of the overplayed songs that have appeared in (almost) every single setlist since first released. For instance, the ONLY song from NotB is The Prisoner - not the title track, RttH or HBTN, nor 2MtM or Sanctuary - how freakin' awesome is that? Yes, FotD, IM and The Trooper are still there, but I wouldn't expect them to drop every fan favorite.

So I hope this sets a precedent for Maiden setlists going forward: include a few old favorites (and change them up!), but dig out many more of the great treasures deep in the heart of their catalog. Not sure if I'll manage to see them next year, but if not, I certainly hope there will be a live album from this tour, which I'll be first in line to pick up.

I agree...

Ironically, they only get away with this by not touring in America.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9575 on: May 31, 2023, 02:20:07 PM »
1) Can you play with madness? Has that been decided yet? And if you could play with madness, what would you play?

I imagine, if you were to ask nicely, yes.  And definitely "Our House" or "House of Fun."

My rankings:

1. Deja Vu
2. Bucephalas's owner
3. Loneliness
4. CSIT
5. Wasted Years
6. Stranger
7. Sea of Madness (not a great song, but miles better than CIPWM)
8. Heaven
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #9576 on: May 31, 2023, 02:24:06 PM »

:lol

You’re blind—too blind to see.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9577 on: May 31, 2023, 02:32:55 PM »
From where I felt about it to how I feel about it now, Heaven Can Wait might be my Iron Maiden song that has aged the best.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9578 on: May 31, 2023, 02:38:25 PM »
From where I felt about it to how I feel about it now, Heaven Can Wait might be my Iron Maiden song that has aged the best.

HCW has a special place in my heart, but it's just a decent song at best.  I've avoided watching videos so far, does anyone know if they are bringing fans up on stage for it again?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9579 on: May 31, 2023, 02:57:08 PM »

HCW has a special place in my heart, but it's just a decent song at best.  I've avoided watching videos so far, does anyone know if they are bringing fans up on stage for it again?

They did not in Ljubljana (and I assume they haven't changed that).  This video is cued to that part if you want to see what they did:  https://youtu.be/BDgUr53zvqU?t=217
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9580 on: May 31, 2023, 03:00:17 PM »

They did not in Ljubljana (and I assume they haven't changed that).  This video is cued to that part if you want to see what they did:  https://youtu.be/BDgUr53zvqU?t=217

Thanks, I try to avoid fan videos until I see the show as hard as it is since I don't know if I will see the show. Not surprised they wouldn't bring fans on given how untrustworthy people are and social media these days, but it certainly would be cool to try and put my hand in the hat with the fan club to get that opportunity again.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9581 on: May 31, 2023, 03:08:10 PM »

2) How lonely is the long distance runner? Has anyone asked?  And more importantly, how do you know if the runner is, in fact, lonely? Maybe they're running to get away from everyone and want to be lonely!

HAHA  :tup

Offline The Realm

« Reply #9582 on: May 31, 2023, 04:35:57 PM »

While I agree with all this in principle, I am not sure how you can say this aint Alexander the Great, unless you have been in the crowd for these first couple of shows and experienced it with the audience? (I am assuming you haven't). So I think when we all get the chance, hopefully to do this then we can judge whether our memories of experiencing NoTB live (multiple times for me) is a better experience. I'm sure you are probably right but I personally would like to judge it for myself from the crowd.

For example, I have only seen Maiden play Rime of the Ancient Mariner once in person and it was the best and biggest received song of the whole gig. Just awesome. Alexander could be the same? (ie an epic song that is rarely played)

My SiT rankings:

1. Sea of Madness
3. Alexander the Great
5. Loneliness
6. Wasted Years
7. Deja Vu
8. Heaven Can Wait

Offline Skeever

« Reply #9583 on: June 01, 2023, 07:04:43 AM »

You never know, it could be something within the dynamic of the band. Could be a guy really hates the song, but doesn't want to publicly bash it so they just come up with some other reason not to play it. Artists often have different opinions on their own work than the public. According to Wiki, Alex Lifeson couldn't even listen to Permanent Waves after the recorded it because he hated it so much. Then he warmed up to it when it became successful.

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
« Reply #9584 on: June 01, 2023, 07:20:42 AM »
The into to Loneliness (before the drums kick in) and the first part of the bridge is awesome, but there is super prime cheese factor throughout most of the song.  Its like the Maiden answer to the Judas Priest motorcycle songs (except we are running instead of innuendos about engines).

If I ever own a house along the route of a Marathon, I would blast "Loneliness' and "Marathon" by Rush on loop outside my house the entire race.  Also its funny they were both released the same year.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9585 on: June 01, 2023, 08:54:32 AM »

While I agree with all this in principle, I am not sure how you can say this aint Alexander the Great, unless you have been in the crowd for these first couple of shows and experienced it with the audience? (I am assuming you haven't). So I think when we all get the chance, hopefully to do this then we can judge whether our memories of experiencing NoTB live (multiple times for me) is a better experience. I'm sure you are probably right but I personally would like to judge it for myself from the crowd.

For example, I have only seen Maiden play Rime of the Ancient Mariner once in person and it was the best and biggest received song of the whole gig. Just awesome. Alexander could be the same? (ie an epic song that is rarely played)

My SiT rankings:

1. Sea of Madness
3. Alexander the Great
5. Loneliness
6. Wasted Years
7. Deja Vu
8. Heaven Can Wait

I have no argument with you on this.  If AtG is, then more power to them and it should be in the set, no question.  The AtG line was a throwaway; the real point was, based on too many comments to reference, Maiden is about crowd involvement, and this notion that TNOTB is going to be retired because it's "overplayed" is likely not going to happen for any sustained amount of time.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9586 on: June 01, 2023, 09:16:46 AM »
TNOTB is not retired.  It’s just sitting out this tour for now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9587 on: June 01, 2023, 09:19:07 AM »
I don't think anyone said NOTB was going to be "retired."  But as to the comment about crowd energy, AtG definitely had it in the clips I watched.  The audience seemed to really go nuts for it, which is understandable. 

It is interesting though how much they've changed up their end-of-show.  In the reunion era, haven't they almost always done Iron Maiden and a combo of at least two of: NOTB, RTTH, Hallowed, Running Free, and Sanctuary to end their shows?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 425

« Reply #9588 on: June 01, 2023, 09:44:11 AM »
I have no argument with you on this.  If AtG is, then more power to them and it should be in the set, no question.  The AtG line was a throwaway; the real point was, based on too many comments to reference, Maiden is about crowd involvement, and this notion that TNOTB is going to be retired because it's "overplayed" is likely not going to happen for any sustained amount of time.   

Some further thoughts on Stadler's point (warning, this is a very Stadler-425-esque post, so feel free to skip):

It's clear that, at least in the U.S., a substantial number of people at a Maiden concert either don't know or don't care much about 90% of their catalog. These attendees want to hear the big songs: Run to the Hills, The Number of the Beast, The Trooper, Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Fear of the Dark. They're probably a numerical majority, or at least a substantial enough minority to have a noticeable effect on crowd reaction to each song.

There's also quite likely a substantial number of people who know and like the deeper cuts from the catalog (at least from the 80s), but are just as happy to hear the big hits as they are to hear these. They're just as happy with The Trooper as they are with Caught Somewhere in Time.

Then there are those of us who would really prefer to hear deep cuts over hits—either because we've seen the band enough to be tired of the hits, or because we just prefer the deep cuts (having seen Maiden only twice, but having the preferences that most of you know I have, I put myself in this second category).

I think by all evidence the third category is a substantial minority of concertgoers. It's probably the smallest of the three categories.

So there's a question: Should the third category matter more when it comes to designing a setlist? If so, why?

A couple of plausible reasons why the answer might be yes: (1) People in that category tend to spend more money on the band than others. They're the people who will see every tour, buy every album and Blu-Ray, collect merchandise. The happier you keep them, the more money they're likely to spend. (2) The preferences of people in that category might align most with the preferences of the band. There's a good chance that they are getting tired of Number of the Beast, and would find it more fun to play Stranger in a Strange Land for a change. The presence of those fans rewards the band for their less-acknowledged work that they might feel gets too little attention.

A couple of plausible reasons why the answer might be no: (1) Even if each person in the third category spends more money than the people in the first two categories, the people in the first two categories in aggregate likely spend more than the third does in aggregate. Iron Maiden plays stadiums because of the first two categories. (2) If you play hits, everyone in the venue can follow along. If you play deep cuts, you lose the interest of a substantial portion of the audience, which depresses the live experience. (3) Every Iron Maiden concert is someone's first concert, and something like The Trooper is an experience they will want to have.

I'd say this dynamic is common to all artists that reach a certain scale of popularity. (I don't know exactly where that is, but Dream Theater clearly does not feel the need to play Pull Me Under or Panic Attack every time, so it's probably somewhere between them and Iron Maiden.) And a great many of them take the route of saying: No, while we appreciate the third category, we know who the majority is, and we're going to stick with the hits that get that audience going. And while that's disappointing to me, I understand why they make that choice.

That's why even though Iron Maiden will never make the setlist I would make (unless against all odds Bruce's "small tour playing all of Senjutsu" idea came to pass), I'm happy with what they've been doing for the last decade or so, and especially the last few tours. They're doing a lot more for us third-category fans than they need to or arguably even should if their goal was to make the greatest portion of the audience as happy as possible. They're not treating us like we're the only ones that matter, but they probably shouldn't do that, and I'd argue they are treating us like we matter more than the first category fans, even though we're probably smaller in number. They could probably make more fans happier with the setlist if they pulled Alexander the Great for Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills, but they are choosing the happiness of the smaller number of fans who really care about Alexander the Great (plus probably their own interest in bringing out this song that they have never played before). I think that's a cool thing to do.

It is interesting though how much they've changed up their end-of-show.  In the reunion era, haven't they almost always done Iron Maiden and a combo of at least two of: NOTB, RTTH, Hallowed, Running Free, and Sanctuary to end their shows?

This is a striking feature of the last few tours, but it's not totally unprecedented. On Ed Huntour, BNW Tour, Early Days Tour, AMOLAD Tour, SBiT Tour, TFF Tour and ME2012 Tour, the encores have been all 80s material, largely stuff from NotB and earlier—although there's been some interesting variation in there, such as Moonchild on SBiT.

DoD Tour stands out as an anomaly, with the encore beginning with Journeyman (a very cool choice IMO).

And then on TBoS tour you get Blood Brothers in the encore—unexpected but cool. For LotB '19, it was back to an expected encore: TETMD, HBTN, RttH. But in 2022, suddenly Clansman is in the encore? And now, of course, HoE.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9589 on: June 01, 2023, 09:47:27 AM »
TNOTB is not retired.  It’s just sitting out this tour for now.
AND
I don't think anyone said NOTB was going to be "retired."  But as to the comment about crowd energy, AtG definitely had it in the clips I watched.  The audience seemed to really go nuts for it, which is understandable. 

I'm not saying it's being retired, but every tour over the last couple years is some variation on "we need to hear other tunes, and not the same old "FotD/HbtN/NotB/IM" quad-fecta at the end".   

My point was just that sitting at my keyboard those tunes may seem overplayed, but they get played for a REASON.  That's all.

I know they've done other tours where they've rested each of those (maybe not FotD or IM).   I know they rested Hallowed when there was that legal kerfluffle, about plagiarism.