Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572944 times)

Offline 425

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9520 on: May 28, 2023, 09:59:17 PM »
I don’t get all the disappointment for the Senjustu tracks. You got 2 epics and a couple of the shorter songs as well. More than satisfied by the SiT tracks. And excellent setlist.

I commented before HOE was announced.  It's my love for The Parchment that has caused my saltiness.  I think The Time Machine is one of the weakest on the album too, same with WOTW.

I do think HCW was an opportunity to play SOM, DJV, or Runner but seeing the 5 songs represented from that album, it's definitely solid.

I’m with you on The Parchment, obviously. And agree on The Time Machine being the weakest song on the album. I love Writing, though, and had that one priced in, anyway.

The SiT tracks are exactly the five I knew it would be, Loneliness and Deja Vu were never going to happen—they weren’t regularly played on the SiT tour and they aren’t nearly popular enough to get the unique Alexander treatment. My preference would be to trade HCW for Sea of Madness, but I didn’t expect that at all given the relative popularity. They did get four of my five favorites, though.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline WardySI

« Reply #9521 on: May 28, 2023, 11:57:08 PM »
I commented before HOE was announced.  It's my love for The Parchment that has caused my saltiness.  I think The Time Machine is one of the weakest on the album too, same with WOTW.

Don't dislike either in fact there's nothing I can't listen to Senjutsu rules but do agree 100% regards WOTW and TTMachine.beong the weakest.  Would personally trade TTM for Lost In A Lost World but happily take The Parchment instead  ;D

Otherwise agree with Grappler this is an outstanding effort from the band and if they do bring this to Australia (and I do hope for this setlist not a watered down version) then am not wanting to miss it. 

This is the type of focused setlist I have been wanting to see from them for years :metal

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9522 on: May 29, 2023, 01:16:32 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9523 on: May 29, 2023, 05:20:09 AM »
Alexander The Great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnbqhjX483U

A bit rusty but great to see.  That 7/8 section was always going to be tricky.  I'm sure Adrian will improve.  Dave ripped the shit out of his solo though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online faizoff

« Reply #9524 on: May 29, 2023, 06:55:27 AM »
Alexander The Great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnbqhjX483U

That was really cool, some hiccups notwithstanding. I've always loved the first half of that song alot, 2nd half is good too just kinda has a different vibe after that start.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #9525 on: May 29, 2023, 11:38:37 AM »
About CSIT, I think Maiden should start playing the song right after the guitar harmonies at the beginning. In fact, I think they should play the song from the beginning. Anyway, I think it would be much better if the band started playing at least when all the instrumentation starts. I know it was like that on the SIT tour, but I still think it's really weird, I don't like it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline 425

« Reply #9526 on: May 29, 2023, 12:16:42 PM »
I think the beginning is a guitar synth, and that’s why they don’t play it onstage? Someone correct me if I’m wrong, though.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #9527 on: May 29, 2023, 12:27:30 PM »
I don't know for sure, but the guitar tones (synth or not) seem the same from the intro to when the band really begins to play, but that could be an explanation.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9528 on: May 29, 2023, 02:05:16 PM »
The melodies from the start of the song are guitars just laced with a lot of synth.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #9529 on: May 29, 2023, 07:45:19 PM »
A little more Senjutsu love today...

Was playing the album again and I gotta say the one song that had me hitting the repeat button was Stratego.  Those melodies and chorus just sublime Maiden about my only complaint is wish the song ended by returning to those singalongs again but anyway...

Really hope as moving forward they include this in the current setlist because it's a banger! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9530 on: May 29, 2023, 07:49:31 PM »
Yeah, I'd easily take Stratego over WOTW.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #9531 on: May 30, 2023, 08:16:06 AM »
I haven't read the comments here, but I have to say, I'm very happy with the setlist. Lots of stuff I haven't seen before. Really hoping a full U.S. tour happens this fall.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9532 on: May 30, 2023, 08:21:16 AM »
Yeah, I'd easily take Stratego over WOTW.

WOTW was good live, and so was Stratego. I'm actually shocked Stratego didn't stay on the setlist as a short and punchy song, and I really enjoyed it a lot more live than on the album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9533 on: May 30, 2023, 08:48:13 AM »
It was a great show indeed. Hell on earth was my personal highlight, but history was written with Alexander. Good choices both with SiT and Senjutsu songs. The band was rusty in spots, bit that's the first night of the tour for you. The visual aspects were great as well, I loved all of it overall.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9534 on: May 30, 2023, 01:01:45 PM »
I love ATG so hearing that live would be awesome for me but even if you don't care that much that they included it in the setlist. One cannot simply ignore the historic fact that Maiden has actually included a song so long awaited into their setlist for the first time. History was indeed written 5/28/23 and I for one think it's bloody awesome. I don't even care about the rest of the setlist or even how they performed it, it's just awesome.

Up the irons!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9535 on: May 30, 2023, 01:49:55 PM »
Respect, to all those that are jazzed by this, I well and truly am happy that you're happy.  Seriously.

But, I'm entitled to my opinion, and this notion that the plane of the universe changed because Iron Maiden played a song that the fans complained about, and that they hadn't done before... well, I don't know. I just don't think it's THAT big a deal. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9536 on: May 30, 2023, 01:55:15 PM »
I think it's a pretty big deal in the Maiden world, but not so much in the general music world.  It's just a weird thing that IM did, whether purposely or just how the card fell, so changing that pattern so late in their career, to me, is a big deal.  It just continues to show how IM are an awesome band that does continue to evolve.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9537 on: May 30, 2023, 02:19:24 PM »
Regardless of fan opinion, it's neat that they did play the song and it's the "epic" from the album this tour is based off. I see that song same as how they did Seventh Son and Rime of The Ancient Mariner from their respective albums.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9538 on: May 30, 2023, 02:25:29 PM »
In a way i've waited since I became a fan in 92-93 so I mean it's not rocketscience to imagine why it's a big deal for some people.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9539 on: May 30, 2023, 02:34:28 PM »
I just honestly never actually expected them to play it, even with the teases (until this tour was announced, then it became a legit reality).

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9540 on: May 30, 2023, 02:44:51 PM »
I just honestly never actually expected them to play it, even with the teases (until this tour was announced, then it became a legit reality).

Me either.

I mainly want to see this tour, not because of ATG (I don't really care for it), but for the entire set design and the other songs. I personally would've loved to hear Sea of Madness.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline 425

« Reply #9541 on: May 30, 2023, 02:57:08 PM »
Respect, to all those that are jazzed by this, I well and truly am happy that you're happy.  Seriously.

But, I'm entitled to my opinion, and this notion that the plane of the universe changed because Iron Maiden played a song that the fans complained about, and that they hadn't done before... well, I don't know. I just don't think it's THAT big a deal.

I think what's significant about it is that for a very long time people thought they would never play it. They had this undeclared and maybe only informal policy of never reviving a song that didn't get played when it first came out, and that always seemed to close the door on it forever. It's remarkable that they were convinced to do it.

I also think it's significant that they actually listened to the internet fan chatter about the popularity of that song and acted on it. They've never been a band that has engaged much with that kind of thing, so this is a significant new step. It feels more unexpected and dramatic than, like, Dream Theater finally playing Space Dye Vest, because Dream Theater has always been far more openly engaged with the online fanbase.

Now that they're listening (at least a little bit), I would like the Maiden internet fan world to start asking them to do their own version of YtseJam Records/Lost Not Forgotten Archives please.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9542 on: May 30, 2023, 03:11:04 PM »

I think what's significant about it is that for a very long time people thought they would never play it. They had this undeclared and maybe only informal policy of never reviving a song that didn't get played when it first came out, and that always seemed to close the door on it forever. It's remarkable that they were convinced to do it.

I also think it's significant that they actually listened to the internet fan chatter about the popularity of that song and acted on it. They've never been a band that has engaged much with that kind of thing, so this is a significant new step. It feels more unexpected and dramatic than, like, Dream Theater finally playing Space Dye Vest, because Dream Theater has always been far more openly engaged with the online fanbase.

I suppose; I mean, from that angle, it is significant, because I firmly believe that was Bruce's doing, not Steve's, and it just goes to show that this is as much Bruce's band now than it is Steve's.  Not unheard of - both the Beatles and Led Zeppelin went through shifts in power in their band (The Beatles through Revolver were John's band, The Beatles from Sgt. Pepper through Abbey Road were Paul's band; Zeppelin from I through Presence were Page's band, Zeppelin from Presence through, well, today, are Plant's band) - but interesting nonetheless.   I guess, maybe, I just wish the song were more deserving of the mythology.   

And look, I'm not really questioning that fans want to hear that song.  I get that; and if you love the song, I'm really excited for you to finally hear it (again, being sincere).  I just object to a little of the hyperbole, is all.  I just don't see this as being "as historic", say, as Bruce and H coming back.   Or keeping three guitars.   Or the what I'd call pretty darn novel touring cycle thing of doing an album tour, then a hits/package/theme tour, then an album tour, then a hits/package/theme tour, etc.  THAT'S historic, and I wish bands like Kiss, and DT and Marillion would do some of THAT magic. 

Now that they're listening (at least a little bit), I would like the Maiden internet fan world to start asking them to do their own version of YtseJam Records/Lost Not Forgotten Archives please.

Yes, please!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 03:18:21 PM by Stadler »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9543 on: May 30, 2023, 03:26:34 PM »
There are so many Maiden shows that become available on every tour as it is. Plus, they're releasing live albums from every tour as it is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9544 on: May 30, 2023, 03:35:32 PM »
To me, what I think is so significant about this, besides them featuring a good chunk of SiT (my favorite album) and AtG in particular, is the fact that they have FINALLY dropped several of the overplayed songs that have appeared in (almost) every single setlist since first released. For instance, the ONLY song from NotB is The Prisoner - not the title track, RttH or HBTN, nor 2MtM or Sanctuary - how freakin' awesome is that? Yes, FotD, IM and The Trooper are still there, but I wouldn't expect them to drop every fan favorite.

So I hope this sets a precedent for Maiden setlists going forward: include a few old favorites (and change them up!), but dig out many more of the great treasures deep in the heart of their catalog. Not sure if I'll manage to see them next year, but if not, I certainly hope there will be a live album from this tour, which I'll be first in line to pick up.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9545 on: May 30, 2023, 03:37:29 PM »
To me, what I think is so significant about this, besides them featuring a good chunk of SiT (my favorite album) and AtG in particular, is the fact that they have FINALLY dropped several of the overplayed songs that have appeared in (almost) every single setlist since first released. For instance, the ONLY song from NotB is The Prisoner - not the title track, RttH or HBTN, nor 2MtM or Sanctuary - how freakin' awesome is that? Yes, FotD, IM and The Trooper are still there, but I wouldn't expect them to drop every fan favorite.

So I hope this sets a precedent for Maiden setlists going forward: include a few old favorites (and change them up!), but dig out many more of the great treasures deep in the heart of their catalog. Not sure if I'll manage to see them next year, but if not, I certainly hope there will be a live album from this tour, which I'll be first in line to pick up.

Agree with Scotty. It's a big deal to eliminate a lot of overplayed stuff and play that chunk of SiT. Many of us have been wanting that for decades, and we finally got it. Fingers crossed an extensive U.S. tour is booked.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline 425

« Reply #9546 on: May 30, 2023, 03:47:30 PM »
Yeah, that's a good point by Scotty. Alexander is the big news item because it's never been played, but to me CSiT and Stranger are almost as big a deal. Those would all be top 10 songs from the 80s era for me, and they haven't been played in decades. Glad to see stuff like NotB and 2MtM put aside to make room for those songs.

I suppose; I mean, from that angle, it is significant, because I firmly believe that was Bruce's doing, not Steve's, and it just goes to show that this is as much Bruce's band now than it is Steve's.  Not unheard of - both the Beatles and Led Zeppelin went through shifts in power in their band (The Beatles through Revolver were John's band, The Beatles from Sgt. Pepper through Abbey Road were Paul's band; Zeppelin from I through Presence were Page's band, Zeppelin from Presence through, well, today, are Plant's band) - but interesting nonetheless.   I guess, maybe, I just wish the song were more deserving of the mythology.   

This is interesting point. I've found it strange how little we've heard directly from Steve lately. Almost all the publicity for Senjutsu was done by Bruce and Nicko, even though I think Steve wrote more of the album by volume than he has in a while.

I've been a little surprised by the current on DTF of people saying they don't really like Alexander (or at least don't love it). I get why one wouldn't, but to me it's a gem if only for the amazing stuff Adrian plays on it.

There are so many Maiden shows that become available on every tour as it is. Plus, they're releasing live albums from every tour as it is.

I hear you, but to me Maiden is such a live band that I would value them releasing more material. Even assuming that there are no recordings left from the 80s worth releasing, there's a lot of stuff since the reunion that hasn't been covered that I would love to see released: a show from the AMOLAD tour, a 2005 Early Days show, a 2012 Maiden England show, a 2022 Legacy show with the Senjutsu songs.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Pappy

« Reply #9547 on: May 30, 2023, 04:02:48 PM »
Looking at the setlist I am extremely happy for hardcore Maiden fans. Lot of long since played songs and debuts. I consider myself a pretty decent sized Maiden fan. I've seen them a few times but SiT and Senjutsu are the two records I haven't really ever touched so there were legit songs that I didn't know existed. Days of Future Past, Time Machine, Celts, Hell on Earth. I couldn't tell you a single note from any of those.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9548 on: May 30, 2023, 04:06:21 PM »
Always wanted to hear AtG live. Always loved that tune. CSiT is a special highlight for me as well. If they keep this all as is, I'll be a very happy Maiden fan.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9549 on: May 30, 2023, 06:49:32 PM »
This thread inspired me to listen to a bit of SiT today, which is an album I rank toward the bottom of IM's discography, along with SSoaSS. Today's listen reminded me there is something about the sound of the album that I don't care for. So, people who know more about audio and album production than me (which is just about everyone here), is there something unique to these albums that may account for this, or is it something I am imagining?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9550 on: May 30, 2023, 06:53:44 PM »
They're both kind of synth-y.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9551 on: May 30, 2023, 06:54:11 PM »

And look, I'm not really questioning that fans want to hear that song.  I get that; and if you love the song, I'm really excited for you to finally hear it (again, being sincere).  I just object to a little of the hyperbole, is all.  I just don't see this as being "as historic", say, as Bruce and H coming back.   Or keeping three guitars.   Or the what I'd call pretty darn novel touring cycle thing of doing an album tour, then a hits/package/theme tour, then an album tour, then a hits/package/theme tour, etc.  THAT'S historic, and I wish bands like Kiss, and DT and Marillion would do some of THAT magic. 

Yes, please!

I don't know about this.  I think Steve is still ultimately the boss and gets the final say with everything the band does, however I think he just knows the power Bruce holds and he needs him.  He has no choice but to let Bruce be such a driving force in the band and the drawcard Bruce is and has become, I don't think he has a problem with that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9552 on: May 30, 2023, 07:02:21 PM »
  I think Steve is still ultimately the boss and gets the final say with everything the band does, however I think he just knows the power Bruce holds and he needs him.  He has no choice but to let Bruce be such a driving force in the band and the drawcard Bruce is and has become, I don't think he has a problem with that.

I agree.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9553 on: May 30, 2023, 07:05:00 PM »
So, to me, I'm happiest about finally hearing Caught Somewhere In Time on the new tour. It's one of my favorite Iron Maiden songs (Top 5). I think having the third guitar really helps this song. That line when they hit the stage sounds so much better with a low end harmony than any of the recordings from the 86/87 tour. It really never sounded right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9554 on: May 30, 2023, 08:10:13 PM »
Also, thinking about Alexander The Great...I'm not saying it's the greatest Maiden epic or song ever, but it is pretty damned good. Ends a bit clunky.
I never understood them playing Rime on the original Somewhere On Tour. Why not play the current epic off the current album?

Watching the both of the live performances, it really fits in with modern Maiden. I think it's great to play such a rare song (actually never before). So that's cool. It doesn't make the song any greater, but it is cool.