Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573516 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9485 on: May 26, 2023, 04:51:42 PM »
Senjutsu, for the most part, is awesome.

I never thought ATG was all that special. The lyrics are clunky and the ending is flat out awkward. Seemed like a forced epic from the beginning.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #9486 on: May 26, 2023, 05:45:56 PM »
...IMO, its miles and miles better than anything I've heard from Senjutsu.  Everything I've heard has been a massive snoozefest.

Outside of the band and Stadler, I don't think there are many that love that album.  (and Stadler's team will probably have an estimated 5 fewer players once the next album drops)

I love, love, love Senjutsu. It’s a close challenger to AMOLAD for #2 on my Iron Maiden list now, behind only TFF.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9487 on: May 26, 2023, 06:03:56 PM »
Senjutsu is top tier Maiden.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9488 on: May 26, 2023, 06:04:58 PM »
Love Senjutsu. Thought it was a pretty big step up from Book of Souls which was still a solid album as well. It definitely got a mixed response among fans from what I've seen, but overall it has a lot of people who love it too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9489 on: May 27, 2023, 06:11:04 AM »
And Alexander did some really cool stuff.
And then he marched and marched to somewhere else.
And then he did some other cool stuff.
He was a really cool dude!

Alexander kicked some guy's ass.
And then he went and fought another guy.
And then he kicked the first guys ass again.
Whoa...what a great guy he was.

The lyrics are clunky, but it's a really cool song, and, IMO, its miles and miles better than anything I've heard from Senjutsu.  Everything I've heard has been a massive snoozefest.

You forgot "oh, and then he died" as the very last line, 'cause the song had to be wrapped up somehow  :lol yeah, nice song (even though I can live without it) but the lyrics are kinda meh. Hell on Earth is way better  :P
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9490 on: May 27, 2023, 06:12:00 AM »
I still need to circle back to both Book of Souls and Senjutsu, but both are so muddy-sounding that I haven't been in a hurry, as it is difficult to listen to hard rock and metal in particular when the levels are so maxed out.  It gives me ear fatigue really quickly and it all becomes a blur.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #9491 on: May 27, 2023, 06:25:58 AM »
I still need to circle back to both Book of Souls and Senjutsu, but both are so muddy-sounding that I haven't been in a hurry, as it is difficult to listen to hard rock and metal in particular when the levels are so maxed out.  It gives me ear fatigue really quickly and it all becomes a blur.

This is one of the primary reasons I don’t revisit those albums very often. Such a shame because a killer production would definitely elevate some of those tunes.

I would love to see how well the guys could pull off the instrumental section of ATG.

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
« Reply #9492 on: May 27, 2023, 08:23:36 AM »
For myself, AMOLAD is the only re-union album that I still listen to all the way through.  I like bits and pieces of the others, but I'm not a big fan of the longer songs they've done the last few albums.

There's something different about that album, it seems like it wasn't as promoted as the rest of the reunion era albums, especially the last 3.  I have vague memories of video exclusives of "Different World" or maybe "Benjamin Breeg" on Amazon (def ahead of the game at the time), but not much else.  I think it was only 4-5 months between recording and the release date, which is also also remarkable these days.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9493 on: May 27, 2023, 08:42:04 AM »
IM's socials said all of the tour dates for 2023 have been announced.  Hopefully 2024 brings the tour to the US.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9494 on: May 27, 2023, 09:02:54 AM »
The lyrics to Alexander the Great are awesome when you are playing trivial pursuit and you get the question: "Where did Alexander the Great die?"

I'm pretty sceptical it will be played but it would be awesome even though I think the SiT songs will be the obvious ones..

I believe he died of fever in Babylon.  :) :) :) :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9495 on: May 27, 2023, 09:49:59 AM »
I really liked Senjutsu when it came out.  It was one of those albums that grabbed me immediately.  But then it quickly fell off a cliff.  Not much staying power there.  I mean, I don't mind it.  But it just feels like "middle of the road" Maiden to me--something to enjoy for the moment, and then probably mostly forget once the new album drops.  Feels very similar to the Neal Morse album that dropped around the same time.  Good and catchy in the short term, but probably forgettable in the long run.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline WardySI

« Reply #9496 on: May 27, 2023, 12:51:57 PM »
+1 still love Senjutsu!

Dig the title track but love Stratego, no question Days Of Future Past could've been lifted off a Bruce solo album but whatever, loves it! Even now The Parchment continues to reveal more on each listen but my biggest shouts go to the excellent Lost In A Lost World and the essential Hell On Earth!

Wear the shirt proudly (I got the Archer version very swish it is too).  Am FAR from done with this album  :metal

« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 01:10:15 PM by WardySI »

Offline 425

« Reply #9497 on: May 27, 2023, 01:03:20 PM »
I really liked Senjutsu when it came out.  It was one of those albums that grabbed me immediately.  But then it quickly fell off a cliff.  Not much staying power there.  I mean, I don't mind it.  But it just feels like "middle of the road" Maiden to me--something to enjoy for the moment, and then probably mostly forget once the new album drops.  Feels very similar to the Neal Morse album that dropped around the same time.  Good and catchy in the short term, but probably forgettable in the long run.

These are my top two albums of the 2020s so far :lol
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #9498 on: May 28, 2023, 01:00:51 AM »
Stepping in to fling some more Senjutsu love about the place.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9499 on: May 28, 2023, 01:10:06 PM »
Iron Maiden is about to hit the stage.
Blade Runner Theme playing..

This guy is streaming it..
https://www.facebook.com/ironmaidenfc.gr

Caught Somewhere In Time!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: The stream is down..

This one's up!
https://youtu.be/2B2ZPd3Ftlo

Stranger In A Strange Land!!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 01:19:54 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9500 on: May 28, 2023, 01:20:30 PM »
The band said on their Facebook they'll be posting the setlist tonight.   :metal
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9501 on: May 28, 2023, 01:26:40 PM »
Now that link is down..

They were going into the Writing On The Wall.

Dammit..we're going out to dinner! :censored

Days Of Future Past
Time Machine
The Prisoner
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 01:45:09 PM by TAC »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #9502 on: May 28, 2023, 01:40:36 PM »
Well, it's really nice the setlist until now and Maiden picked one from Senjutsu that I'm really happy and kind of not expecting (not one of Steve's epics).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9503 on: May 28, 2023, 02:24:09 PM »
There's apart of me that would've loved to see this tour indoors so the light show get the proper condition.

I just heard the intro to Alexander the great live, I can now die in peace.  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9504 on: May 28, 2023, 02:27:45 PM »
Besides CSIT and ATG, they always find a way to disappoint with the setlists IMO.  Poor representation of Senjutsu IMO.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9505 on: May 28, 2023, 02:36:09 PM »
As happy as I am to see them pull out new songs and old songs, there's still some head scratchers here.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9506 on: May 28, 2023, 02:51:48 PM »
Based on what I've seen, I have no complaints about the non-Senjutsu songs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #9507 on: May 28, 2023, 02:57:50 PM »
Besides CSIT and ATG, they always find a way to disappoint with the setlists IMO.  Poor representation of Senjutsu IMO.

SPOILERS BELOW:

I agree that this was not a great set of choices from the album. They chose IMO the weakest song (The Time Machine) and did not include the strongest (The Parchment). I think Death of the Celts should be cool live, though.

That said, I'm glad they brought out the three great ones from SiT—CSiT, SiaSL and Alexander. And The Prisoner is so much better of a choice than many of the 80s staples that they've played a billion times. Glad they're doing it rather than the eleven thousandth playing of TNotB or 2MtM.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Realm

« Reply #9508 on: May 28, 2023, 04:11:12 PM »
Just watching a clip of CSiT, Bruce butchers the first verse, I guess it has been a while since it has been played live.....

As for the set list, as far as an always played live song goes I would prefer Hallowed to FoTD so I am most disappointed that it misses out. The SiT songs are the predictable ones, not that keen on the overall Senjutsu representation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9510 on: May 28, 2023, 05:10:34 PM »
At least HOE is in there, that and CSIT along with ATG (even though I'm not that thrilled by it) makes the set a win.  I guess it's the most varied set for a long time.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #9511 on: May 28, 2023, 05:36:51 PM »
Despite personal preferences (for my taste, I would trade only one song from SiT and one from Senjutsu for others of each album), I think it's a great and a fair setlist with only 3/15 songs that never leave their repertoire. All Maiden guys are more than 60's and I really appreciate the effort. And the visuals look amazing!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline 425

« Reply #9512 on: May 28, 2023, 05:41:32 PM »
I think it’s a very good setlist; the absence of my top choice stings, but I’m really glad they’re mixing it up and that they’re playing all my SiT favorites, which haven’t been played in decades (or ever).
And if spirit's a sign,

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9513 on: May 28, 2023, 05:47:10 PM »
I guess it's no surprise DOTC was included.  I mean, Clansman has been a bit of a staple since Bruce's reform so it's an easy swap.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9514 on: May 28, 2023, 06:38:05 PM »
Interesting set list. I love seeing all of those Somewhere in Time songs, but Run to the Hills, The Number of the Beast and Hallowed... all not in there?  Wow, that is sure to cause a stir.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9515 on: May 28, 2023, 06:50:36 PM »
Interesting set list. I love seeing all of those Somewhere in Time songs, but Run to the Hills, The Number of the Beast and Hallowed... all not in there?  Wow, that is sure to cause a stir.

I'm totally fine with omitting Hills and Beast.  I'd rather they dropped FOTD for Hallowed though.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #9516 on: May 28, 2023, 07:08:31 PM »

The stir it is causing with me is that I would kill to see this show. SIT is my favorite album of theirs and that would be a fantastic show. Hoping for some US dates at some point.

No Darkest Hour is a bit of a letdown. Only real complaint here.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #9517 on: May 28, 2023, 07:39:53 PM »
I don’t get all the disappointment for the Senjustu tracks. You got 2 epics and a couple of the shorter songs as well. More than satisfied by the SiT tracks. And excellent setlist.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9518 on: May 28, 2023, 07:44:32 PM »
I don’t get all the disappointment for the Senjustu tracks. You got 2 epics and a couple of the shorter songs as well. More than satisfied by the SiT tracks. And excellent setlist.

I commented before HOE was announced.  It's my love for The Parchment that has caused my saltiness.  I think The Time Machine is one of the weakest on the album too, same with WOTW.

I do think HCW was an opportunity to play SOM, DJV, or Runner but seeing the 5 songs represented from that album, it's definitely solid.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9519 on: May 28, 2023, 08:12:39 PM »
I love it - they really changed things up and are only playing a handful of non SiT/Senjutsu songs.  Kudos to them for delivering a really unique set!  It was fun to follow along with their Facebook account this afternoon while grilling out and seeing what songs were popping up.